Powersource?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powersource?

This is the thread for speculating on the thing powering the ID drive.

Think itll replace ZPMs?

It seemed useful to power something that needed a huge burst of power at one moment every few hrs. Maybe abuncha them? Whats the official name of it?

Rodney made it in one universe i bet he can do it again, especially with time to read the schematics another HIM wrote.

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
    Think itll replace ZPMs?
    I think is a larger version of a ZPM, because this powersource also extract energy from subspace.
    sigpic

Comment

Probably whatever the Carter from "The road not traveled" built before her death.
      Warning: This post may not be meant to be taken seriously.

Comment

Originally posted by Schrodinger's Cat View Post
        Probably whatever the Carter from "The road not traveled" built before her death.
        That Carter was actually trying to do the same thing done in "Mckay and Mrs. Miller" which was to draw power from other realities (not subspace). Only her plan was to steal small amounts from lots of different realities so there wouldn't be a massive build up of exotic particles in one particular reality.

Comment

yeah considering an overload would blow up a star system I'd say it's a pretty sweet power source
          but didn't he say once you got it running the power buildup couldn't be stopped and it had to be discharged
          obviously the design is still flawed

Comment

Did McKay keep the tablet on the core? Or was it left aboard the ship?

Comment

Originally posted by Pogo01 View Post
              Did McKay keep the tablet on the core? Or was it left aboard the ship?
              You mean the drive? Yeah, he was working on a tablet at the end of the episode and said this: "I've saved the relevant data...Minor adjustments and I should have this thing up and running..." So one way or another he has the information.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                You mean the drive? Yeah, he was working on a tablet at the end of the episode and said this: "I've saved the relevant data...Minor adjustments and I should have this thing up and running..." So one way or another he has the information.
                I think Mckay should leave the device alone. Given his penchant for royally messing up power sources. I don't want to sacrifice another ZPM for him to toy with.

We have what? Two right now?
                http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Originally posted by rarocks24 View Post
                  I think Mckay should leave the device alone. Given his penchant for royally messing up power sources. I don't want to sacrifice another ZPM for him to toy with.

We have what? Two right now?
                  It'll be interesting if they visit this topic of "drawing energy from subspace" again, maybe they can improve the one the alternate mckay created- a bucket WITH vowels instead

Comment

What McKay created was a poor mans ZPM. Likely no where near as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Heaven View Post
                      yeah considering an overload would blow up a star system I'd say it's a pretty sweet power source
                      but didn't he say once you got it running the power buildup couldn't be stopped and it had to be discharged
                      obviously the design is still flawed
                      How about this for a solution?

Tie the power device into an Asgard beaming console that has been turned into a matter converter.
                      If there is a power buildup that needs discharging, just start making parts for a new 304. This way, nothing goes to waste and there is no overload to destroy a star system.

But just to be in the safe side, don't place the device on Earth.

Comment

First off this is my first post on these forums and I would like to say hello!

OK, now what this power source sounds like is what a lot of sci-fi books call a Core Tap
                        That is directly taking energy from subspace in a continuous stream. It is very dangerous and needs to be monitored religiously, then again i may be wrong but thats just my two cents..

Comment

I know it'll probably never happen, but I'd love to see McKay (or anyone) at least recreate the capacitor part of the Inter-dimensional Drive. Like Sparkygate suggested, if they built one with "valves", they could use that to provide supplementary power to parts of Atlantis (Stargate, shields, weapons, stardrive, labs, etc.) or even power some systems on-board the ships (again, shields, weapons, etc.).

McKay himself said that the ID drive required ZPM levels of energy, so there's no real reason why they can't use that capacitor in conjunction with the Asgard replication technology to create fully charged ZPM's ready for use in any application they require. Some people have suggested in the past that the Asgard replication tech was not capable of creating a fully charged ZPM due to the energy requirements. This would solve that issue very nicely.

Heck, they could even use it to create as many drones as they need, so they'd always be fully stocked. Or, as Mago1978 mentioned, make parts for ships, or entirely new ships. Turning Atlantis into a fully powered, fully functional shipyard? That'd be a sight! Even if it's only one ship at a time and it takes months to complete one.

Of course it wouldn't be that simple, but it's something to think about. Maybe if they could throw a line in next season explaining why they can't do it? I'd be satisfied with that (as long as it's believable).

Comment

I would guess the capacitor thingie is dangerous, they would never use it on earth. Zpms are safe cuz they use fake subspace, but weve seen they can be dangerous if they go kaboom. Arcturus was extremely dangerous. This is kinda in the middle. Would work for a outpost city in another galaxy, but nothing too close to home.

Comment

Working...
                            X