PDA

View Full Version : I'm surprised nobody has noticed this yet.

MizuhoChan
August 2nd, 2008, 12:56 PM
But the fact that the other team died from lack of supplies is a bit ridiculous. Haven't we already seen in "Undending" (SG-1) that you can make food and pretty much anything else out of Asgard beaming technology? Sam figured it out, so I'm sure McKay could have.

"Parallel, probably not as smart, etc". He was smart enough to give our McKay a headstart on the new drive.

Just something to think about. Almost as ridiculous as "Hey, this is where the Ancients developed drone tech. Oh, but wait... they had loads in the ancient outpost on Earth.... never mind."

Also, the CG was quite awesome, can't fault them there. I'm looking forward to whenever these new bad guys return.

jelgate
August 2nd, 2008, 01:02 PM
Beaming suppilies out of thin air was possible on the Odyssey because it containied an Asgard core. The Daedalus does have such a device as it is most likely on the ship being studied at Area 51

starfox
August 2nd, 2008, 01:03 PM
But the fact that the other team died from lack of supplies is a bit ridiculous. Haven't we already seen in "Undending" (SG-1) that you can make food and pretty much anything else out of Asgard beaming technology? Sam figured it out, so I'm sure McKay could have.

The she on "Unending" was way more advanced than the Daedalus. It had as much Asgard tech as you could fit on one ship. The Daedalus just had weapons and beaming technology.

The_Carpenter
August 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
In Unending Carter had weeks to reconfigure the Asgard transporter into a "replicator" where as AU Rodney was probably spending his time trying to get the ship back to his reality.

And let us not forget the Oddy has both the Asgard core and a ZPM which equals significantly more power than was available in this episode.

Anubis-
August 2nd, 2008, 01:04 PM
May be they did not got enough power.

kymeric
August 2nd, 2008, 01:10 PM
This ship dosent have a replicator only oddesy does becuz only ODDY has the asguard core. The original crew took their supplies down to the planet they evac'ed to and the other sga1 team would only have supplies that were in their jumper.

GoSpikey
August 2nd, 2008, 01:47 PM
Spelling, try it, sometime... ;)

JohnDuh
August 2nd, 2008, 02:40 PM
But the fact that the other team died from lack of supplies is a bit ridiculous.

Anything could have happened, you can't disprove it.

"Parallel, probably not as smart, etc". He was smart enough to give our McKay a headstart on the new drive.

McKay is always trying to convince himself he has value.

Just something to think about. Almost as ridiculous as "Hey, this is where the Ancients developed drone tech. Oh, but wait... they had loads in the ancient outpost on Earth.... never mind."

Yeah just like "The Americans developed their weapons in the united states but now there are some in Iraq"

Xaeden
August 2nd, 2008, 03:06 PM
Yeah just like "The Americans developed their weapons in the united states but now there are some in Iraq"

Actually he's right about the drone thing. It was a confirmed oversight where the wording was concerned - It should've been something like; "This is where the Ancients developed mini-drone technology," as the Ancients developed drones in the Milky Way, took it with them to the Pegasus galaxy, and then perfected mini-drone technology there.

The_Carpenter
August 2nd, 2008, 03:08 PM
Actually he's right about the drone thing. It was a confirmed oversight where the wording was concerned - It should've been something like; "This is where the Ancients developed mini-drone technology," as the Ancients developed drones in the Milky Way, took it with them to the Pegasus galaxy, and then perfected mini-drone technology there.

Indeed

Col.Foley
August 2nd, 2008, 03:12 PM

Also, the CG was quite awesome, can't fault them there. I'm looking forward to whenever these new bad guys return.The drone part is easily explanable. Very much so. When the Ancients returned to Earth they had enough time before they ascended in order to restock...stock period....the drones in the Ancient outpost in Antartica at the time.
Or...they had to reinvent and redesign the technology over the hundreds of years between them leaving the Milky Way, and them entering Atlantis. Who knows what they may of lost in that time.

May be they did not got enough power.
My thoughts exactly.

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
August 2nd, 2008, 03:15 PM
The ship was in pretty bad shape, the probably didn't have enough energy use the device even if they had it.

SG13-NightOps
August 3rd, 2008, 12:19 AM
Maybe the dead AU teams universe never got given the Asgard Core and so had no idea it could be done.

When dealing with AU the possibilities are endless.

"A million different realities with every possible variation."

I find that they all died in a nice neat group a little disturbing though, LOL.

Darkhawk
August 3rd, 2008, 12:45 AM
Maybe the dead AU teams universe never got given the Asgard Core and so had no idea it could be done.

When dealing with AU the possibilities are endless.

"A million different realities with every possible variation."

The AU team got the Asgard core.
Or how the should get their hands on Asgard beams?

SG13-NightOps
August 3rd, 2008, 12:54 AM
The AU team got the Asgard core.
Or how the should get their hands on Asgard beams?

The ship didn't belong to the dead AU teams universe. They boarded it when it popped up in theirs, just like ours did.

perkin127
August 3rd, 2008, 01:12 AM

well if they died beacuse they ran out of supplies it would make sense they would then know it would happen and sit together, no-one wants to die alone. on the other hand it shows that they gave up at the end which is very much unlike sga 1.

on the question of the asgard stuff, the daedelus didnt have it yet i dont think theyve upgraded so they couldnt have used it.

AscendedThor
August 3rd, 2008, 03:04 AM
why didn't they just go down to the planet in their jumper?
the ship's captain from the original reality said they could survive on the planet, so since this was the same planet the team could also survive on it in whatever reality they were stuck in.
better to take their chances on the planet rather than just staying on the ship and starving to death

Merlin1701
August 3rd, 2008, 03:08 AM
As the ship was jumping all the time and they thought if they waited they would get home...in a quantum leap stylee.

Its for that same reason “our team shep” remained on board

perkin127
August 3rd, 2008, 03:16 AM
the other atlantis team prob came on the ship in a reality after the one where the crew left or they would have met them. also rodney thought he could fix it and get them home

Saquist
August 3rd, 2008, 10:02 AM
I noticed....these are just the kind of things I ignore.

Argosy
August 3rd, 2008, 10:23 AM
Not for nothing, but I would have eaten who ever died first “Donner Party” style.

When Shep made that meat locker comment I immediately thought “ohh great…the food stuffs our SGA team needs to survive has been well preserved”.

You think I jest, but I always tell people to eat me if worse comes to worse when we go out on an extended excursion into the wild. I think it helps people out with the mental aspect when you give them your blessing in advance in such dire situations LOL.

LoneStar1836
August 3rd, 2008, 11:01 AM
I find that they all died in a nice neat group a little disturbing though, LOL.Which is why I think something killed them all pretty instantaneously.

I even thought maybe somebody else dragged all the bodies to that location.

well if they died beacuse they ran out of supplies it would make sense they would then know it would happen and sit together, no-one wants to die alone. on the other hand it shows that they gave up at the end which is very much unlike sga 1. Yeah but they aren't all gonna die at the same time. (Or at least I would find that rather difficult to believe that they would.) Do you really want to sit around with a dead body or two for a couple of days even a week before you die? :S

So I'm not exactly sure they starved to death. (I think they would have jumped ship before it came to that point.) Plus the body placement was too weird, imo. *shrug*

Jedi_Master_Bra'tac
August 3rd, 2008, 11:22 AM
So I'm not exactly sure they starved to death. (I think they would have jumped ship before it came to that point.) Plus the body placement was too weird, imo. *shrug*

Maybe they took suicide pills, so they didn't suffer.

LoneStar1836
August 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Maybe they took suicide pills, so they didn't suffer.
Now that's an interesting possibility.

Though personally I don't see why they'd off themselves behind some random console. lol. I'd have wanted to die on the bridge or something.

rens14
August 3rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
in Unending the 'replicator-device' looked like transport technology and probably used it and the transport didn't worked because if it did they could have beamed themselves to the planet instead of using space suits

Adrius
August 3rd, 2008, 01:47 PM
The planet was too far away.

Jackie
August 3rd, 2008, 03:42 PM
I found the dying of starvation a bit unbelievable too due to the fact they had a working puddle jumper and multiple realities of planets to abandon ship too.

They would know supplies are running low and it would take 3 days to die of dehydration. I'm sure in those 3 days s suitable planet had come and gone a few times.

When faced with certain death or stranded in another reality...i think I would take the other reality.

perkin127
August 3rd, 2008, 04:01 PM
maybe mckay kept thinking he could still save them and then by the time they realised it was too late, or maybe they went crazy with the lack of food and forgot to leave.

Jackie
August 3rd, 2008, 06:26 PM
maybe mckay kept thinking he could still save them and then by the time they realised it was too late, or maybe they went crazy with the lack of food and forgot to leave.

if they forgot to leave then I would deduct it would be a result to long term exposure to reality jumping.

but still, Sheppard should have lead the team to safety instead of all dying in a room together.

Vala_M
August 3rd, 2008, 06:28 PM
As was mentioned several times already here, ONLY the Odyssey has the Asgard core capable of doing that. The Daedalus may have received the Asgard upgrades and even has that same Asgard console in the engineering room now but it doesn't have all that crystal assembley like the Odyssey has in its engineering room so no, it wouldn't have been possible.

Vala,

Mitchell82
August 3rd, 2008, 06:41 PM
The Oddyssey has the Asgard core the Deadalus doesn't.

That was an accidental oversight on the script. JM confirmed that I think.

Also, the CG was quite awesome, can't fault them there. I'm looking forward to whenever these new bad guys return.
Agree on the CG but I doubt we will see the bad guys again though I'd love it if we did.

Jackie
August 3rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
As was mentioned several times already here, ONLY the Odyssey has the Asgard core capable of doing that. The Daedalus may have received the Asgard upgrades and even has that same Asgard console in the engineering room now but it doesn't have all that crystal assembley like the Odyssey has in its engineering room so no, it wouldn't have been possible.

Vala,

I wasn't talking about replicating food. I was talking about abandoning ship in another reality with a sustainable planet.

My post has absolutely nothing to do with the asgard core. :confused:

dschnell
August 4th, 2008, 11:33 AM
The dead AU Atlantis team must have all had middle of the road intelligence, otherwise I can't explain their condition.

1) Running out of supplies? As someone else said, if it had gotten to the point where they would starve to death if they didn't leave the ship why not leave the ship?

2) I can't understand how the dead AU team didn't encounter any other AU team during their time aboard the ship. If they didn't, that means the parallel Universes between the original Dadelaus (sp?) with hyper-dimension drive and the dead AU team is the last universes with people in it, until it reaches the Atlantis Universe. (Or at least Universes where Atlantis doesn't exist, a prospect I find unlikely.)

3) See #1, I mean really? Starvation or staying on a ship to die?

4) The bodies didn't look like they died from malnutrition. I'm betting that the assumption regarding supplies was incorrect. Possibly the area the dead AU team entered had a poisonous atmosphere - that might also better explain why they died in a group.

A final remark...yes, I believe McKay is going to build one of these Hyper-Dimension engines in the near future, despite Sheppards no. How can he not? It's a great achievement and makes for some interesting story arcs.

starfox
August 4th, 2008, 12:28 PM
Re: AU team dying/not abandoning ship

What if they got really unlucky and kept jumping to realities where there was no planet/planet not habitable/planet had an Atlantis team that wouldn't let them land/Atlantis was Asuran controlled? Of the four realities our team jumped to, the planet was only habitable and uninhabited in one. We didn't exactly get a good sample size, but I tend to think most of the realities were less-than-lovely, else the team probably would have jumped ship.

BubblingOverWithIdeas
August 4th, 2008, 05:26 PM
The dead AU Atlantis team must have all had middle of the road intelligence, otherwise I can't explain their condition.

1) Running out of supplies? As someone else said, if it had gotten to the point where they would starve to death if they didn't leave the ship why not leave the ship?

Might not have been anywhere to go at the time.

2) I can't understand how the dead AU team didn't encounter any other AU team during their time aboard the ship. If they didn't, that means the parallel Universes between the original Dadelaus (sp?) with hyper-dimension drive and the dead AU team is the last universes with people in it, until it reaches the Atlantis Universe. (Or at least Universes where Atlantis doesn't exist, a prospect I find unlikely.)

Don't forget universes where Atlantis hasn't moved to a new planet and is still on Lantea. Or moved to a different new planet.

3) See #1, I mean really? Starvation or staying on a ship to die?

4) The bodies didn't look like they died from malnutrition. I'm betting that the assumption regarding supplies was incorrect. Possibly the area the dead AU team entered had a poisonous atmosphere - that might also better explain why they died in a group.

That's an idea. Our team assumes starvation, but anything could have happened to them. Anything. We wouldn't know, because they can hardly leave an entry in the ship's log describing the manner of their own death.

FallenAngelII
August 4th, 2008, 05:47 PM
That's an idea. Our team assumes starvation, but anything could have happened to them. Anything. We wouldn't know, because they can hardly leave an entry in the ship's log describing the manner of their own death.
But why didn't they any entry whatsoever, to warn possible alt!SGA-1s to immediately abandon the ship?

That would be the pertinent thing to do. Also, they didn't die of starvation. Logic and biology speaks against this. Whatever it was, it was most probably not starvation and/or dehydration.

prion
August 4th, 2008, 05:50 PM

I can't see anybody dying from lack of food/supplies all in the same spot like this... Electrocution, hull breach with oxygen, but the ship didn't fix itself on jumps, so, it was an odd layout..

Xaeden
August 4th, 2008, 05:54 PM
I can't see anybody dying from lack of food/supplies all in the same spot like this... Electrocution, hull breach with oxygen, but the ship didn't fix itself on jumps, so, it was an odd layout..

Of course, we don't even know that they died there. The last one to live could've dragged the others together and then plopped down on the floor in defeat.

Jackie
August 4th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Re: AU team dying/not abandoning ship

What if they got really unlucky and kept jumping to realities where there was no planet/planet not habitable/planet had an Atlantis team that wouldn't let them land/Atlantis was Asuran controlled? Of the four realities our team jumped to, the planet was only habitable and uninhabited in one. We didn't exactly get a good sample size, but I tend to think most of the realities were less-than-lovely, else the team probably would have jumped ship.

suppose that would be possible. But the crew jumper 4 realities in 2 hours...i know mckay speed up the jump but in the time it takes to to starve to death (if it was starvation and not dehydration) they would have 14 days.

But why didn't they any entry whatsoever, to warn possible alt!SGA-1s to immediately abandon the ship?

That would be the pertinent thing to do. Also, they didn't die of starvation. Logic and biology speaks against this. Whatever it was, it was most probably not starvation and/or dehydration.

I would agree that logic would dictate it couldn't be starvation or even dehydration. They had a puddle jumper at their disposal as well.

And on a grimmer note--seaman in the days of old were known to eat the weakest to save the rest. I imagine a person could do weird and horrific things to survive.

It would be interesting if they found one survivor from the team and...say Rodney..and he survived by consuming the flesh of the others. Freaky huh?

I thought the positioning was strange. it's almost like they just went to sleep and all died at once from a gas or something.

One would think with starvation you would find them dead in different ares of the ship and in different stages of decomposing.

Zamboni
August 4th, 2008, 07:44 PM
They all died when the ship jumped into a reality where a celestial phenomenon instantly destroyed every system aboard and killed everyone except the reality drive itself, which exists outside the space-time continuum.

There. You happy?

FallenAngelII
August 4th, 2008, 08:47 PM
They all died when the ship jumped into a reality where a celestial phenomenon instantly destroyed every system aboard and killed everyone except the reality drive itself, which exists outside the space-time continuum.

There. You happy?
So it was powerful enough to actually instantly kill all four of them (and they just happened to all be standing around/lying down in the same spot) without damaging their bodies, clothes or the ship in the least?

Zamboni
August 4th, 2008, 10:32 PM
So it was powerful enough to actually instantly kill all four of them (and they just happened to all be standing around/lying down in the same spot) without damaging their bodies, clothes or the ship in the least?Exactly. They were standing together because they were discussing something; probably McKay explaining what the ship does, or that the ship is completely out of coffee and that he is upset.

The phenomenon was able to kill them quickly without causing visible damage just like 2 Zat shots. (zat nick cartel or whatever the thing is called, zat for short)

And of course, same goes for the ship. But the ship was made of stronger materials than McKay and company, so most of it was intact and got fixed by our McKay.

Makes perfect stargate sense, no?

Saquist
August 5th, 2008, 02:14 AM
Actually I'm sure we will see these bad guys again and they may chose to ...revamp the aliens themselves.

Lythisrose
August 5th, 2008, 08:42 AM
One possible explanation for the death of the AU!team

fic rec (http://community.livejournal.com/sga_flashfic/790834.html#cutid1)

sad

Pic
August 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Not for nothing, but I would have eaten who ever died first “Donner Party” style.

When Shep made that meat locker comment I immediately thought “ohh great…the food stuffs our SGA team needs to survive has been well preserved”.

You think I jest, but I always tell people to eat me if worse comes to worse when we go out on an extended excursion into the wild. I think it helps people out with the mental aspect when you give them your blessing in advance in such dire situations LOL.

This is why I stay within walking distance of a Starbucks.
;)