PDA

View Full Version : If the ship stayed...

Aerilon
August 2nd, 2008, 07:53 AM
Out of curiosity, if the alternate Daedalus (after McKay having fiddled around with it) ran out of energy when it re-emerged in 'our' universe, and it didn't have the hull breach, what do you believe would have happened to it?

I think they'd have taken that 'drive' out for starters. McKay and probably a few others would have fought to 'correct' it, whereas others would have no doubt said they'd somehow destroy it.

Drive aside though, what would happen to the ship? Decommission her and use her for spare parts, or recommission her under a new name? Would have been quite neat I think, if the ship stayed in our universe, and the team took advantage of her, fixed her up, then we'd have another ship to play with.

Thoughts..?

Stormtrooper
August 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM
The ship would have been destroyed in the next episode.

rarocks24
August 2nd, 2008, 08:01 AM

This.

Artha O'neill
August 2nd, 2008, 08:22 AM
Don't forget we would have a new fighter to play with and also an extra PJ, just saying.

Aerilon
August 2nd, 2008, 08:23 AM
Can't you guys be a little bit more original than that? :mckay:

Artha O'neill
August 2nd, 2008, 08:26 AM
Don't forget we would have a new fighter to play with and also an extra PJ, just saying.
Oh, I forgot the alien sidearms, too.

chobit
August 2nd, 2008, 08:32 AM

I think we did get an extra puddle jumper out of this. When the alien hand grenade went off, didn't McKay say something along the lines of "the puddle jumpers have been blown out"? There's no reason we wouldn't salvage it.

The_Carpenter
August 2nd, 2008, 08:36 AM
I think we did get an extra puddle jumper out of this. When the alien hand grenade went off, didn't McKay say something along the lines of "the puddle jumpers have been blown out"? There's no reason we wouldn't salvage it.
No he said the hanger bay had decompressed, meaning they couldnt get to the Jumper as there was no air in the hanger or in the hallways leading to it

andy tyler
August 2nd, 2008, 08:42 AM

and even if it did, the jumpers floated into that other reality, not ours.

Stormtrooper
August 2nd, 2008, 08:55 AM

Fine, alternate Daedalus would marry the Tria, and they would live happily ever after ;) Seriously though, aside from being destroyed or swallowed by a plot hole, I would send alternate Daedalus to Area 51, or wherever the hell the Tau'ri build their ships these days, so the universe shifting device could be extracted for further analysis, and the necessary repairs could be conducted to recommission the ship. The Russians could use one.

Earthgate Ricky
August 2nd, 2008, 09:54 AM
I wonder if the alternate team from the alternate Daedalus had lived as Mc Kay contacts four lifespans. What they do when they meet their "twins"?

FalconSpirit
August 2nd, 2008, 11:02 AM
Daedalus 2.

No seriously, a boring name, but I bet everyone would probably call it that because it's history. Or Daedalus A or something, and then it'd just be another ship like Daedalus and Apollo that's mentioned and sometimes used in episodes. It's not like having another one will unbalance things or anything. I'm still expecting the Phoenix any day now...

A Wraith Named Bob
August 2nd, 2008, 12:13 PM
They could have called it the Icarus, who was Daedalus' brother in Greek mythology.

PG15
August 2nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
Son, not brother.

And Alt!Daedalus will be destroyed due to entropic cascade failure. ;)

A Wraith Named Bob
August 2nd, 2008, 12:23 PM
Son, not brother.

And Alt!Daedalus will be destroyed due to entropic cascade failure. ;)

Either way... :)

Earthgate Ricky
August 2nd, 2008, 01:13 PM
They could have called it the Icarus, who was Daedalus' brother in Greek mythology.

Daedalus was father of an idiot named Icarus, Daedalus told his son not to fly so high to sun which melt wax which attached feathers on wings. Icarus didn't listen at his father as he fly to get closer sun then the heat from sun, melt feathers away and he fall down to his death.

GoSpikey
August 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM

Icarus fell flat on his face... :D

kymeric
August 2nd, 2008, 01:29 PM
Out of curiosity, if the alternate Daedalus (after McKay having fiddled around with it) ran out of energy when it re-emerged in 'our' universe, and it didn't have the hull breach, what do you believe would have happened to it?

I think they'd have taken that 'drive' out for starters. McKay and probably a few others would have fought to 'correct' it, whereas others would have no doubt said they'd somehow destroy it.

Drive aside though, what would happen to the ship? Decommission her and use her for spare parts, or recommission her under a new name? Would have been quite neat I think, if the ship stayed in our universe, and the team took advantage of her, fixed her up, then we'd have another ship to play with.

Thoughts..?

They would patch her up and use her. Calling her D-2 would be too confusing so i recommend D-12. ...Owait /humms 'my band' Great now im never gonna get that out of my head.

Gatz
August 2nd, 2008, 01:42 PM

This.

I third that

It's what always happens

The_Carpenter
August 2nd, 2008, 01:49 PM
I third that

It's what always happens
buts it not strictly an alien ship :p

And a 304 has not been destroyed on Atlantis ever.... (not counting future possible time lines)

Xaeden
August 2nd, 2008, 01:52 PM
Before the episode aired I kept hoping they'd be able to keep it either to station on Atlantis (although its doubtful the writers would ever let them have a full time ship) or just to have around. Then as the episode went on I kept hoping the other reality would be able to get it somehow. Of course, though, I knew they'd never be able to keep it and the episode did not disappoint in that regard. But, I find it funny that they left it in such a way where it's potentially salvageable.

Afterall, all they need is someone over Sheppard's head to give it the go ahead or they need to be in desperate need of another ship and Mckay can go to work recreating the alternate reality drive. The Daedalus seems to have survived the last many jumps unharmed and unclaimed so it might be safely drifting a few jumps ago. It would be much safer this time since they have ZPMs. You borrow one from Atlantis to power the drive on the ship Mckay is going to alter and you borrow another to power the other Daedalus' alternate reality drive and you're good to go. This time around they can just shut it down by unplugging the ZPM when they find the other Daedalus. Then Mckay goes to work reversing both of them, they reattach the ZPMs, and wait until they get to their reality where they detach them once again.

It's really not insanely risky, but using two irreplaceable ZPMs to recover one Earth ship that "simply" takes a year to build doesn't seem like the type of thing the Earth would sign off on. Although, it doesn't really matter as we haven't even so much as heard a simple reference to big things like the Wraith Cruiser and Tria. So the chances of them ever going out of their way in this type of situation is way less than slim to none.

The_Carpenter
August 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM
Before the episode aired I kept hoping they'd be able to keep it either to station on Atlantis (although its doubtful the writers would ever let them have a full time ship) or just to have around. Then as the episode went on I kept hoping the other reality would be able to get it somehow. Of course, though, I knew they'd never be able to keep it and the episode did not disappoint in that regard. But, I find it funny that they left it in such a way where it's potentially salvageable.

Afterall, all they need is someone over Sheppard's head to give it the go ahead or they need to be in desperate need of another ship and Mckay can go to work recreating the alternate reality drive. The Daedalus seems to have survived the last many jumps unharmed and unclaimed so it might be safely drifting a few jumps ago. It would be much safer this time since they have ZPMs. You borrow one from Atlantis to power the drive on the ship Mckay is going to alter and you borrow another to power the other Daedalus' alternate reality drive and you're good to go. This time around they can just shut it down by unplugging the ZPM when they find the other Daedalus. Then Mckay goes to work reversing both of them, they reattach the ZPMs, and wait until they get to their reality where they detach them once again.

It's really not insanely risky, but using two irreplaceable ZPMs to recover one Earth ship that "simply" takes a year to build doesn't seem like the type of thing the Earth would sign off on. Although, it doesn't really matter as we haven't even so much as heard a simple reference to big things like the Wraith Cruiser and Tria. So the chances of them ever going out of their way in this type of situation is way less than slim to none.
Well we don't know which realities it visited prior to ours, so if we could get the drive working we would have known destination. Also you would have to carry a spare drive for the AU Daedalus and I doubt that they are easy to install....

all in it would be easier and cheaper to just build a new 304 :p

tombombadil
August 2nd, 2008, 02:16 PM
a new rogue NID sect will appear, steal it, and start traveling from dimension to dimension*

Xaeden
August 2nd, 2008, 02:19 PM
Well we don't know which realities it visited prior to ours, so if we could get the drive working we would have known destination. Also you would have to carry a spare drive for the AU Daedalus and I doubt that they are easy to install....

all in it would be easier and cheaper to just build a new 304 :p

The other Daedalus already has the drive. It just burned out - Mckay would need to bring supplies to make repairs (and to uninstall the capacitor). So they should only need one which I doubt costs close to the amount it took to build the entire ship, but how easy it is to build is anyone's guess. However the thing is they not only get another ship, but an alternate reality drive which this Mckay knows how to reverse and can be stopped thanks to using ZPM power, which can be unplugged. But since they need to keep ZPMs elsewhere it wouldn't be an unbalancing upgrade as they would only be able to use it at specific times when they decide to explore the nearby realities. Of course, I realize that this will never happen, but if we're lucky maybe it landed in a reality where someone will find it and they will be able to fix it and once again reverse it so we can see it again. It's an interesting concept that I'd love for them to follow up on in some way or another.

The_Carpenter
August 2nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
The other Daedalus already has the drive. It just burned out - Mckay would need to bring supplies to make repairs (and to uninstall the capacitor). So they should only need one which I doubt costs close to the amount it took to build the entire ship, but how easy it is to build is anyone's guess. However the thing is they not only get another ship, but an alternate reality drive which this Mckay knows how to reverse and can be stopped thanks to using ZPM power, which can be unplugged. But since they need to keep ZPMs elsewhere it wouldn't be an unbalancing upgrade as they would only be able to use it at specific times when they decide to explore the nearby realities. Of course, I realize that this will never happen, but if we're lucky maybe it landed in a reality where someone will find it and they will be able to fix it and once again reverse it so we can see it again. It's an interesting concept that I'd love for them to follow up on in some way or another.
you still need to design and test the AU drive, retrofit a 304 with said drive... all without knowing which AU the ship ended up in!

so you are in effect risking not only a 304 and crew but the cost associated with building and testing a prototype drive, only to attempt to find a ship which you have no idea where it ended up. And we all know where that kind of blind voyage landed the original crew of that Daedalus...

Xaeden
August 2nd, 2008, 02:48 PM
you still need to design and test the AU drive, retrofit a 304 with said drive... all without knowing which AU the ship ended up in!

so you are in effect risking not only a 304 and crew but the cost associated with building and testing a prototype drive, only to attempt to find a ship which you have no idea where it ended up. And we all know where that kind of blind voyage landed the original crew of that Daedalus...

Granted, I'm assuming that the data Mckay made off with will allow him to figure out how to set it to go to the reality that Daedalus hopped through before coming here and then follow the pattern back through the realities or that the drive had nothing to do with which reality you went to and it just hopped to the next one. In the case of the former, if it fails, all you have to do is set it in reverse and go home after doing a little exploration and seeing what other uses you can get out of it. In the case of the latter, all you have to do is activate the drive and then figure out if you went forward or in reverse.

EternalAlteran
August 2nd, 2008, 02:58 PM
Icarus fell flat on his face... :D

Icarus is Daedalus' son by the way.

And I believe Mckay might be able to recreate the capacitor (even if they can't draw the power from subspace, it still can store massive amounts of energy), but I doubt the realityvistic drive will be made, consider the dangers.

HotOne
August 2nd, 2008, 05:03 PM
Granted, I'm assuming that the data Mckay made off with will allow him to figure out how to set it to go to the reality that Daedalus hopped through before coming here and then follow the pattern back through the realities or that the drive had nothing to do with which reality you went to and it just hopped to the next one. In the case of the former, if it fails, all you have to do is set it in reverse and go home after doing a little exploration and seeing what other uses you can get out of it. In the case of the latter, all you have to do is activate the drive and then figure out if you went forward or in reverse.

You know the McKay that made the drive in the AU could have come up with the idea after a ship appeared in their reality. He was arrogant enough to think he could recreate the drive and was given permission. Then something went wrong and he couldn't fix it. We have no way of knowing that something else won't go wrong if our McKay tried to recreate it.

And someone a while back talked about taking the drive to Area 51 to study. Good idea but I'd rather keep it off world at the Alpha site or another site. You never know what might go wrong with it and there isn't a whole lot of room for mistakes when dealing with something like that.

Merlin1701
August 3rd, 2008, 02:57 AM
It would have been good to keep the ship, renamed it the Phoenix as it would have risen from the rather scorched remains.

Remember people its only a few dimensions away, perhaps a new ship could be rolled out next season with a mission of salvage???

perkin127
August 3rd, 2008, 03:24 AM
a new rogue NID sect will appear, steal it, and start traveling from dimension to dimension*

lol that would be interesting

Dutch_Razor
August 3rd, 2008, 06:37 AM
If we'd have it, the USS Sobol would be a nice name :) (Colonol Sobol was the commander of the alt! Daedalus)

NIKIN
August 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
I was hoping they would keep it, and that it would become the Phoenix (after all when Carter got it most of the systems were offline, it could be that in the alternate timeline it ran out of power as it arrived in our universe, hence future mckay not warning shepherd of the drive)

But unfortunately the ship is gone now :(

However, as has been said before, it would be destroyed a couple of episodes later

perkin127
August 3rd, 2008, 04:19 PM
if they could have kept it you could have 2 ships going back and forth to earth with supplies thus cutting time between visits to 1 1/2 weeks = more supplies and coffee for mckay

YutheGreat
August 3rd, 2008, 06:30 PM

Thoughts..?

There is no way we would keep another Daedalus we would have either renamed it or would have been destroyed.

My question is why did McKay develope the Alternate Reality Drive in the first place. I mean the technology is smart but it isn't something the IOA or the US government would commit one of their few ships to without a good reason.

Could it be because the enemy has simillar engines?

Xaeden
August 3rd, 2008, 06:58 PM
There is no way we would keep another Daedalus we would have either renamed it or would have been destroyed.

My question is why did McKay develope the Alternate Reality Drive in the first place. I mean the technology is smart but it isn't something the IOA or the US government would commit one of their few ships to without a good reason.

Could it be because the enemy has simillar engines?

I suppose we'll never truly know why they did it, but since it was suggested that they didn't have a ZPM maybe, like the alternate version of the Sg-1 team from "Ripple Effect," they decided to go looking for one in an alternate reality because they badly needed it for their future defense. Or better yet, they could've been trying to collect a stockpile. If they knew where to look, they wouldn't even have to steal any from their counterparts. All they needed to know is a location in their reality where there was a ZPM at one point and they then could've found a bunch of realities where Earth wasn't in the Pegasus galaxy and went looking there.

For example, because of their continued presence in the Pegasus galaxy they probably also time traveled and got help from Janus (otherwise Atlantis probably would've been destroyed when they came there and they wouldn't have a foothold in the galaxy). So they presumably also had his list of ZPM planets. If they also lost the ZPM from "The Brotherhood" because of the Genii, then they could find a reality where those people never moved it because Earth wasn't around to try to claim it. So this time they could use their knowledge of the situation to get it without a hitch and then repeat however many times they wanted. But I'd guess they were in the process of doing a test run when they realized they had bigger problems to worry about. It's a shame because if that was their plan it would've been a good one if they were only able to get all aspects of the drive working properly.

chestnu1
August 3rd, 2008, 07:02 PM
They should of kept the ship repaired it and sent it on auto pilot and back to the strainded crew in that universe.

PG15
August 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
I'd imagine it's the same reason why we use the Stargate; just as there are tech and resources we can take from other planets, there are tech and resources we can take from other realities.

the fifth man
August 3rd, 2008, 07:45 PM
I'd imagine it's the same reason why we use the Stargate; just as there are tech and resources we can take from other planets, there are tech and resources we can take from other realities.

Very true. You never know what could be found in each new reality.

Enzo Aquarius
August 3rd, 2008, 07:58 PM
It would have definitely been interesting to see if the ship remained, but it would've required EXHAUSTIVE amounts of manhours and supplies to get it fully operational. Not only that, but Atlantis itself, in it's current state, isn't set up for ship construction. Though, they could easily convert an area on land for ship construction/repair, but that's a different story.

As per the NID statement, I wouldn't be surprised if the ship returns somehow...or if the Temporal Drive comes back into play. Probably some Asgard knowledge base technology that McKay will eventually find.

I_haz_a_Cookie
August 3rd, 2008, 09:18 PM
if the ship stayed?

im pretty sure they wouldnt decommission the ship let alone cannibalize the ship for spare parts. Its a working ship its just need a massive repair on everything. Atlantis is not suited for a repair station but im pretty sure they will send parts through the gate to get the ship working as fast as possible, and the original deadlues can haul parts in its hanger from earth to speed up the repair.

dmpv_74
August 11th, 2008, 02:49 AM
i think the could make another episode out of it they could use it but then the original crew could appear and take it back, but before they go they have to do a joined mission, and just before they get blown up they turn on the drive and leave.

perkin127
August 11th, 2008, 11:51 AM
i know they could just park it next to atlantis and turn it into a training facility, and then maybe add a swimming pool and spa as well for some extra relaxation

Opener
August 12th, 2008, 12:19 AM
They might also have sent it back to the Milky Way for repairs and to use as another line of defense for Earth. Though I do like Xaeden stockpiling idea. I think that's the most likely course of action they would have taken, and the one most likely to be approved by the IOA and Earth's governments back home.