This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG: Continuum Plot hole (Spoilers)

When Ba'al was travelling back through time in order to change the timeline, from his perspective he kidnapped Vala/Quetesh, then he kidnapped Teal'c, and after that he attacked the Achilles. Now it seems resonable to assume that the changes were made in this order because we saw the changes take place in this order.

When Mitchell went back in time to the Achilles and killed Ba'al, shouldn't the changes Ba'al has made before then still have taken place including the kidnapping of Vala and Teal'c. From Ba'al's perspective, the attack on the Achilles was not his first change, so only the changes made after this point would have been prevented.

The attack on the Achilles must have been his first change.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      I think so too.
      sigpic
      MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
      "...phu...ah..."
      "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
      Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
        Then CAm would have dissappeared first!

Comment

I spent a long time thinking about that until I gave myself a headache. Basically, it's necessary for the plot, and because the whole "disappearing" thing looked cool.

However, Ba'al's primary goal was to cripple Earth by preventing the formation of the SGC. So attacking the Achilles would have been his first priority.

As far as I can tell, Ba'al went back in time to 1939 and attacked the Achilles. Then, he was stuck in 1939 because the time travel computer thingy was in the future and he hadn't made it yet (I'm assuming that he made that computer after he created his clones, since he refers to it as his failsafe in case the clones all died). So next Ba'al had to kill his 1939 counterpart and take his place (this is also the only way that Ba'al could have remembered the original timeline). Then Ba'al went after Vala/Qetesh. Then he recruited Teal'c. After that, I assume he destroyed the Tok'ra, which is why they all disappeared.

The only reason I can think of that Cam did not disappear first (besides convenience) is that technically, Cam's past didn't change until 1970 when he would have been born. Since he wasn't born in 1970, that's when the change occurred for Cam and that would have been after Ba'al snatched Vala/Qetesh and Teal'c. Or something like that. The disapperances have to be relative to when a character's individual circumstances changed, otherwise Teal'c and Vala would have disappeared at the same time, because you could say that when the Achilles lost the Stargate, the SGC ceased to exist, which would cause Teal'c and Vala to no longer be with SG-1. But, then with no SGC, none of them would have joined SG-1, so everyone should have disappeared simultaneously.

Right? Is everyone confused yet?

Isn't time travel fun?
          Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
          Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
            Then CAm would have dissappeared first!
            IIRC it was supposed to be a 'ripple through time' type effect, so the changes wouldn't have had any sort of prdictable order.

Comment

Working...
            X