This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arctic filming location in Google Earth

As you all probably know, STARGATE CONTINUUM got a unique chance to film up above the Arctic Circle, almost 200 miles out on the ice.

At the U.S. Navy's Applied Physics Laboratory Ice Station 2007 (APLIS 2007)
    from March 23 to 29, 2007.

Approximately here in Google Earth, about 190 miles north of Prudhoe
    Bay, Alaska, 1016 miles from the North Pole:

75.337830 N 148.134183 W

Here's a thread on the Google Earth Community about the location of APLIS 2007.
    -----------------------------------------------------
    On a completely unrelated topic, some here may be amused by my Stargate Simulator that I did in Flash.

Cool! I Google Earthed it yesterday.

"I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds

"Alien locale is no excuse for lack of pineapples." - DP

WALLACE: And if I don't?
    O'NEILL: We'll beam you up to our spaceship.

Comment

Now that's interesting! Thanks!

Comment

Cool! Very interesting.
        "Grant me the serenity
        to accept the things I cannot change;
        the courage to change the things I can;
        and the wisdom to know the difference"

Comment

Um, on my Google Earth it takes me to the ocean above Alaska. Is that right?

Comment

Originally posted by poland626 View Post
            Um, on my Google Earth it takes me to the ocean above Alaska. Is that right?
            Yes. They filmed it 190 miles out on the ice, in temperatures -20 farenheit (-50 with wind chill).

A film crew of seven (including the 3 actors) went there, and they stayed for a week in those plywood huts on the ice. Apparently kind of a (winter) summer camp; everyone including the actors had to pitch in with KP duty, etc.

On the commentary they mention that on the far shots when Browder and Tapping are in the endless expanses of ice, they had to have someone hiding nearby behind the ice ripples with a rifle in case of polar bear attack.

See the above link to the Google Earth community for more info on APLIS.
            Last edited by planettom; 02 August 2008, 05:06 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by planettom View Post
              As you all probably know, STARGATE CONTINUUM got a unique chance to film up above the Arctic Circle, almost 200 miles out on the ice.

At the U.S. Navy's Applied Physics Laboratory Ice Station 2007 (APLIS 2007)
              from March 23 to 29, 2007.

Approximately here in Google Earth, about 190 miles north of Prudhoe
              Bay, Alaska, 1016 miles from the North Pole:

75.337830 N 148.134183 W

Here's a thread on the Google Earth Community about the location of APLIS 2007.
              -----------------------------------------------------
              On a completely unrelated topic, some here may be amused by my Stargate Simulator that I did in Flash.
              I prefer to not look at military bases on google earth, nothing good can came of it. I DIDNT SEE NOTHIN! :-p

Comment

Working...
              X