PDA

View Full Version : Ark of Truth and Continuum Extended Edition/Director's Cut

shubzilla
July 30th, 2008, 06:15 PM
A) It worked very well for Lord of the Rings

+

B) Who doesn't want more Stargate action?

=

C) More sales, meaning MGM wil commision more movies, and possibly make the jump to theaters.

Thoughts?

Jumper_One
July 30th, 2008, 06:45 PM
cool idea but it's very unlikely imo (at least not this year)

shubzilla
July 30th, 2008, 06:55 PM
Well, you don't want to release it right away. The point is to re-sell the movie to people that already bought it. My dad has both the original and new versions of Star Wars 4-6, just because they have a few changes and additions that don't affect the plot. Same with LotR; He bought both versions as they came out.

Gate Traveller
July 30th, 2008, 07:26 PM
Dont see it happening ever unfortunatly. Stargate has a very dedicated and loyal fanbase and its the fans who get the most out of these movies.

Ark Of Truth and Continuum are mostly for the fans and therefore would not see enough sales of the rerelease of the dvd. The movies simply dont appeal to a wide enough audience to merit the costs of rereleasing extended Directors cuts of either one.

Besides how much do you think was actually left out? Scenes left out are usually done so for a reason.

shubzilla
July 30th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Dont see it happening ever unfortunatly. Stargate has a very dedicated and loyal fanbase and its the fans who get the most out of these movies.

Ark Of Truth and Continuum are mostly for the fans and therefore would not see enough sales of the rerelease of the dvd. The movies simply dont appeal to a wide enough audience to merit the costs of rereleasing extended Directors cuts of either one.

A) Make up your mind. Big base or not?

Besides how much do you think was actually left out? Scenes left out are usually done so for a reason.

B) Yeah, time. Remove that limit and . . .

Abyss_908
July 30th, 2008, 08:06 PM

I agree. I'm under the impression that they are director's cuts. They don't really have to cut for time like they do in a TV show. Most of the season 10 deleted scenes revolve around intercutting within a scene, and are real minor changes. It would be a waste of time and effort to re-release them. I feel that just releasing it for the fans would simply be taking advantage of their loyal fan base, very much like releasing the special edition of the pilot will be.

Vala_M
July 30th, 2008, 09:35 PM
I posted about having extended edition DVD's of Stargate/Atlantis since so much material is lost to editing due to the already excessive and increasing commercials. Deleted scenes is not enough, I want the content woven into the episodes.

Vala,

ascifigirl
July 30th, 2008, 09:36 PM
I would be cool to have a directors cut of the movies, but it's probably not going to happen. We could wish though!

ascifigirl
July 30th, 2008, 09:38 PM
I would go see it in the theater : )

Ugly Pig
July 30th, 2008, 11:32 PM

Heh. These movies are hardly Lord of the Rings. They don't need to be extended, they're exactly as long as they're supposed to be.

B) Yeah, time. Remove that limit and . . .

These movies were made for DVD, so there weren't really any time limits on them. If there were scenes cut from the final edit, it would be because TPTB don't want them in the movie.

I would be cool to have a directors cut of the movies, but it's probably not going to happen. We could wish though!

As someone else already said; the ones we already have probably are the "Director's Cuts".

Egle01
July 30th, 2008, 11:33 PM
But RCC mentioned in AoT, that what we got on DVD, can be called Director's Cut, bc shown on TV, some scenes might be left out.

prion
July 31st, 2008, 03:54 AM
Heh. These movies are hardly Lord of the Rings. They don't need to be extended, they're exactly as long as they're supposed to be.

I'd agree that extending the movie would probably be detrimental. It was good at the length it was; felt 'full' (plot/character-wise). While it would be cool to see what the guys were doing for that whole year, it would also drag down the plot. Now, as a written book, you could flesh it out tremendously...

stargatefan234
July 31st, 2008, 04:45 AM

i dont think there can be a special edition, if scenes were left out it was due to actor availabilty, such as the scenes with adria, the doci and sg1 were cut, because they couldn't get Morena Baccarin for more than a day. :(

shubzilla
July 31st, 2008, 02:20 PM
Now, as a written book, you could flesh it out tremendously...

OK, how about that idea? You probably could sell books to an audience that likes sci-fi in general, and never picked up on Stargate.

Ladyinred
August 1st, 2008, 03:00 AM
I want to see the scene which was deleted from the final cut of AoT with Vala and Teal'c after his arrival to Celestis.

P-90_177
August 1st, 2008, 03:11 AM

He said it has a very dedicated and loyal fanbase. He didn't mention the size of it.

DigiFluid
August 1st, 2008, 03:48 AM

Re-read his comments. Dedication/loyalty != big, and he never said so.

~Dave
August 1st, 2008, 10:05 AM
If they start this crap, I will stop buying the movies. No way am I going out and buying the DVD's right away, if they start with the "final cut" "director's cut", "collector's edition cut", "whatever cut", "bloopers", "out-takes", etc. If they do this I will lose respect for the whole operation. Whatever they're going to do, let them do it with the actual release of the movies. They will not play me like I'm their personal piggy bank.

~Dave

VSS
August 3rd, 2008, 03:47 PM
I posted about having extended edition DVD's of Stargate/Atlantis since so much material is lost to editing due to the already excessive and increasing commercials. Deleted scenes is not enough, I want the content woven into the episodes.

Vala,

I'd rather have longer eps on the DVD than extras and cut scenes. But then, i will probably hold cutting a certain scene from Trio against TPTB for the rest of my natural life.;)

These movies were made for DVD, so there weren't really any time limits on them. If there were scenes cut from the final edit, it would be because TPTB don't want them in the movie.

As someone else already said; the ones we already have probably are the "Director's Cuts".

I disagree. They have to fit into TV time slots. That's why they are 98 minutes long, and still Daniel's call to himself will be deleted to fit a 2hr TV time slot, which is a shame. It's the main link back to the original Stargate movie and the reason why he's on the team, and it will be gone.

But RCC mentioned in AoT, that what we got on DVD, can be called Director's Cut, bc shown on TV, some scenes might be left out.

Right. I don't know what will be cut from AoT, but something will be.

Besides, they're already re-making CoTG.

Browncoat1984
August 4th, 2008, 04:37 PM
I could see it working like this: MGM puts out four to six DVD movies and after a couple years decides that its time for a theatrical movie, so to promote the new movie they order an extended cut of all existing movies and release them in a box set a long with the director's cut of Children of the Gods and maybe one or two other popular SG-1 episodes extended. Maybe they could go back and film new scenes for movies like Ark of Truth (with Adria), etc. I think that might work.

Mitchell82
August 4th, 2008, 07:10 PM

+

B) Who doesn't want more Stargate action?

=

C) More sales, meaning MGM wil commision more movies, and possibly make the jump to theaters.

Thoughts?

This will likely never happen. First Peter Jackson did that deliberately to make extra money. He even siad so himself that he cut the scenes for the sole purpose of adding them to the dvd extended cuts.The directors on the show hate the idea of doing that. I can't remember who this was I think it was Brad that said they cut things for a reason. Either for time or it doesn't flow properly with the story and the only reason we got deleted scenes on the season 10 and 4 sets of SG-1 and SGA is because fans pushed for them. I doubt they would ever do this.

VSS
August 4th, 2008, 07:50 PM
This will likely never happen. First Peter Jackson did that deliberately to make extra money. He even siad so himself that he cut the scenes for the sole purpose of adding them to the dvd extended cuts.The directors on the show hate the idea of doing that. I can't remember who this was I think it was Brad that said they cut things for a reason. Either for time or it doesn't flow properly with the story and the only reason we got deleted scenes on the season 10 and 4 sets of SG-1 and SGA is because fans pushed for them. I doubt they would ever do this.

I agree I would not want them to deliberately withhold scenes for the sole purpose of making extended cut DVDs in the future. .

OTOH, if they have scenes that were cut for time and want to put them in the episodes on the DVD, I'm okay with that. There are seven versions of BladeRunner. That movie came out before DVDs, so none of that was withheld deliberately- some of it was due to being rushed through in the beginning.

In general, I don't like whole segments devoted to deleted scenes. They need to be in an ep, somewhere. I really don't care what they filmed and then tossed out.

Vala_M
August 4th, 2008, 08:00 PM
I'd rather have longer eps on the DVD than extras and cut scenes. But then, i will probably hold cutting a certain scene from Trio against TPTB for the rest of my natural life.;)

I disagree. They have to fit into TV time slots. That's why they are 98 minutes long, and still Daniel's call to himself will be deleted to fit a 2hr TV time slot, which is a shame. It's the main link back to the original Stargate movie and the reason why he's on the team, and it will be gone.

Right. I don't know what will be cut from AoT, but something will be.

Besides, they're already re-making CoTG.

I agree completely. Whole episodes are better than the episode + deleted scenes.

Why do they have to make them to fit TV time slots? These were made to be direct to DVD movies not TV movies. I hope they never air on TV as they'll be mercilessly. If they air, I doubt it will be on scifi since they never even paid to make those movies.

Vala,

VSS
August 4th, 2008, 08:09 PM
I agree completely. Whole episodes are better than the episode + deleted scenes.

Why do they have to make them to fit TV time slots? These were made to be direct to DVD movies not TV movies. I hope they never air on TV as they'll be mercilessly. If they air, I doubt it will be on scifi since they never even paid to make those movies.

Vala,

Did you forget a word after "mercilessly"? I'm curious to know what you were going to say!:)

i guess TV is another market for them and they hope to sell them to the SciFi Channel. The 98 minute run time makes that easy.

I believe one or both have aired in the UK already, on Sky One.

Of course, if they made them 142 minutes, I wouldn't complain.:)

Ugly Pig
August 4th, 2008, 10:18 PM
I disagree. They have to fit into TV time slots. That's why they are 98 minutes long, and still Daniel's call to himself will be deleted to fit a 2hr TV time slot, which is a shame.

In other words, there's no reason to believe there were other scenes cut for time - they already included stuff that won't be in the TV version. Hence, we won't see an "extended cut".

VSS
August 5th, 2008, 07:06 AM
In other words, there's no reason to believe there were other scenes cut for time - they already included stuff that won't be in the TV version. Hence, we won't see an "extended cut".

One minute's worth of stuff isn't very much.

There's probably more. I think it's not coincidence that both movies happened to be exactly 98 minutes long and fit into a 2 hour TV time slot.

Mitchell82
August 5th, 2008, 08:37 AM
One minute's worth of stuff isn't very much.

There's probably more. I think it's not coincidence that both movies happened to be exactly 98 minutes long and fit into a 2 hour TV time slot.

I think it was written and designed that way.

VSS
August 5th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I think it was written and designed that way.

I'm sure it was. After all, it's expensive to make a movie. They certainly don't want to make it much longer than it needs to be for their purposes- that is to fill a 2hr time slot on TV.

However, I doubt even Wood and Wright can make movies exactly 98 minutes long. Twice.:)

So there really might be interesting things they would have liked to include but didn't. That's what I would like to see in an extended cut. Granted, there might not be much, or it might not be significant, but it's still be fun.:)

Ugly Pig
August 5th, 2008, 01:44 PM
So there really might be interesting things they would have liked to include but didn't.

*sigh*

WHY? Why would they not include that in the DVD version if it's going to be different from the TV version anyway? You're not making any sense.

What we got is the movie they made. There won't be "extended cuts".

Ripple in Space
August 5th, 2008, 07:33 PM

According to Michael Shanks, an entire sub-plot and conclusion to AoT. I agree with your second point.

VSS
August 5th, 2008, 11:30 PM
*sigh*

WHY? Why would they not include that in the DVD version if it's going to be different from the TV version anyway? You're not making any sense.

What we got is the movie they made. There won't be "extended cuts".

Of course I'm making sense, just not to you.
Other studios manage to come up with extra footage for extended cuts- even when they have NO time constraints like a preset 98 minute length. If anything, Stargate ought to have more left over since they can't just make the movie as long as they want to.

As for why not having a director's cut to begin with? Because they made it for TV, and it's easy to stick that on a DVD and sell it. Did they know people would like them so much that they'd want an extended version? It seems to me that (LOTR aside) extended versions only get released if there's enough demand from the fans.

But now that the movies seem to be successful, why not re-release them, or better yet, do a director's cut the next time around with the third movie?

Sure, if there's no good footage laying around, I'm all for leaving it alone, but no one besides TPTB knows the answer to that question.

There's nothing wrong with giving DVD buyers a nicer product than what ends up on TV, either, which is what would happen if they did a director's cut right out of the chute the next time. In which case this thread wouldn't even exist.

Ugly Pig
August 6th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Of course I'm making sense, just not to you.
Other studios manage to come up with extra footage for extended cuts- even when they have NO time constraints like a preset 98 minute length. If anything, Stargate ought to have more left over since they can't just make the movie as long as they want to.

As for why not having a director's cut to begin with? Because they made it for TV, and it's easy to stick that on a DVD and sell it.

I'll try this again. They have NO time constraints with a straight-to-DVD movie! It is NOT the same as the TV version! It doesn't matter if it's one minute longer or fifteen, the point is it's NOT THE SAME. The DVD version is NOT made for TV. It does NOT have the time constraints you're talking about.

Also, theatrical films DO have time constraints.

There's nothing wrong with giving DVD buyers a nicer product than what ends up on TV, either, which is what would happen if they did a director's cut right out of the chute the next time. In which case this thread wouldn't even exist.

The fact that this thread does exist proves otherwise. Because you don't know that the DVDs we have aren't what you call "directors cuts" (I think they are) and you wouldn't know if the next one is, either.

Now - I'm not saying there wasn't stuff cut from the movies. I know there was. I'm saying it probably wasn't cut for time, but rather because TPTB didn't WANT it in the movie in which case they're not gonna make a new version to include it.

Vala_M
August 6th, 2008, 11:08 AM
Did you forget a word after "mercilessly"? I'm curious to know what you were going to say!:)

i guess TV is another market for them and they hope to sell them to the SciFi Channel. The 98 minute run time makes that easy.

I believe one or both have aired in the UK already, on Sky One.

Of course, if they made them 142 minutes, I wouldn't complain.:)

Sorry. I didn't realize that I'd left out a word.

I was going to say mercilessly edited. I quit watching movies on TV these days because of it. So many movies you think that the good part is about to be on and then nothing because it was edited out and it happens quite often on American TV. They used to show movies unedited at night a few years ago but they dicontinued that practice.

Vala,