X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate: Continuum - SciFi Pi: Martin Wood Interview

From Australia's SciFi Channel's SciFi Pi:

(Please follow the link for the complete article. Behind the scenes photos from the production of Stargate: Continuum at the site.)

INTERVIEWS

Martin Wood Interview - Stargate: Continuum

Thursday, July 31

by Captain

Martin Wood has been directing Stargate for more than a decade - with forty six Stargate: SG1 episodes behind him, and thirty Stargate: Atlantis episodes under the belt, he was the natural 'go to' guy for the creator and writer of Stargate, Brad Wright, when it came to choosing the director for Stargate's first standalone feature, Continuum.

His career includes working on Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, Earth: Final Conflict, Jeremiah, and the new SCI FI series, Sanctuary, starring Stargate's Amanda Tapping, where he is also producing and writing. We spoke to him about directing Stargate: Continuum - and he had a heck of a time!

From Australia's SciFi Channel's SciFi Pi:

http://www.scifitv.com.au/Blog/2008/...gatecontinuum/

(Please follow the link for the complete article. Behind the scenes photos from the production of Stargate: Continuum at the site.)

INTERVIEWS

Martin Wood Interview - Stargate: Continuum

Thursday, July 31

by Captain

Martin Wood has been directing Stargate for more than a decade - with forty six Stargate: SG1 episodes behind him, and thirty Stargate: Atlantis episodes under the belt, he was the natural 'go to' guy for the creator and writer of Stargate, Brad Wright, when it came to choosing the director for Stargate's first standalone feature, Continuum.

His career includes working on Gene Roddenberry's Andromeda, Earth: Final Conflict, Jeremiah, and the new SCI FI series, Sanctuary, starring Stargate's Amanda Tapping, where he is also producing and writing. We spoke to him about directing Stargate: Continuum - and he had a heck of a time!

TIME FOR REFLECTION

One of the big pluses for the fans, despite the huge action scenes, are the character moments. But it's a difficult balancing act with the action and deliberately slowing the pace.

MW: "Originally in the script, Brad had much bigger scenes written than what you actually see now. Robert Cooper convinced Brad to cut down a lot of that. Knowing what was in there, I think a lot of fans would have enjoyed it, but also, I think a lot of them would have thought it was a bridge too far. What we saw was our a team not being a team, not being the characters that we know. So when Carter goes shopping, someone recognises her and she says no, no I'm not Samantha Carter. It was a bigger beat for her.

I think it was nice to get the taste that we did, but anyway, everything changes so quickly when the Alkesh shows up - we're back to the people that we know. I really liked that. The beats are so well thought out.

When you shoot a TV show, you don't have the opportunity to massage the writing in a way that we did here. A lot of the time you'll get on set and realise 'oh oh' this isn't going to work and you'll tap dance around it or wink at it, or just try to divert the audience's attention. In this case, all the pitfalls are thought out beforehand."

To read our review of Stargate: Continuum, click here

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter
Working...
X