Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big problem with the last man (spoiler warning)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big problem with the last man (spoiler warning)

Ok in the last man Sheppard steps throw the gate and is transported back in time. I’m not going to get into the stupid idea that McKay is going to try to upgrade the gate and dialing program because the ancients built the system and they were a lot smarter then McKay and had a lot more time to work on it. But putting that aside when you are transported back in time by a solar flair like what happened in the episode 1969 you will sling shot around the sun back to your originating planet aswell back in time. So when Sheppard stepped throw the gate he should have been transported back to the planet he stepped throw and not to Atlantic. Did this bother anyone ells.

Doesn't work like that, strictly.

Comment

Originally posted by whiteout49 View Post
      Ok in the last man Sheppard steps throw the gate and is transported back in time. I’m not going to get into the stupid idea that McKay is going to try to upgrade the gate and dialing program because the ancients built the system and they were a lot smarter then McKay and had a lot more time to work on it. But putting that aside when you are transported back in time by a solar flair like what happened in the episode 1969 you will sling shot around the sun back to your originating planet aswell back in time. So when Sheppard stepped throw the gate he should have been transported back to the planet he stepped throw and not to Atlantic. Did this bother anyone ells.
      same thing can be said for Continuum..
      HOWEVER! every solar flair is diffrent..

Comment

Could have been a solar flare around the receiving 'Gate's sun in Last Man where 1969 had the solar flare around the sending 'Gate's sun.
        When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
        Zatnikitelman

Comment

As a general rule I don't allow myself to get too roped into the actual physics of SG. I mean the whole premise of a gate sending you across the galaxy is already so out there that the technicalities reallty don't bother me anyways.

Comment

The whole idea behind the solar flare thing is that the gravitation of the star affects the wormhole and alters it in the time/space continium.

So theoretically, you could end up doing a complete loop, but you might not. The gravitation would have to affect it in such a way that the wormhole was redirected back to your original gate. If not, you could end up at any number of gates in the galaxy or even the one you were intending to being with, just in a different time.

Comment

Mckay wasn't trying to upgrade the gate. He was trying to make it more efficient. Considering the technology was last upgraded/updated/CREATED like a few million years ago, do you blame him?

Comment

I see what you are saying...when Sheppard stepped through the gate the very first time to go BACK to Atlantis from ANOTHER planet he should have ended up back where he started...on ANOTHER planet.

Good catch!

So...in order to make canon work Sheppard needed to be LEAVING Atlantis instead of going to Atlantis.

lol.
                Grammar, Logic, Rhetoric.

Comment

Ok in the last man Sheppard steps throw the gate and is transported back in time.
                  -He didn't go back in time he went forward in time

Comment

You're assuming that despite the individual circumstances(position of gates relative flare, flare type, wormhole position relative to flare, ect) of each time a person has used a flare to time travel, the outcome should be the same. That's not how things work.

Comment

you need to work on your spelling before you start complaining about theoretical and sci fi physics.

Comment

Maybe McKay, in the future timeline, moved Atlantis to that planet and got rid of the other gate, that way Sheppard arrives through the Atlantis gate. Then going back in time, Sheppard would arrive on the original planet and have to then gate to Atlantis and hope another flare doesn't mess anything up.

Comment

okay, for one, sheppard was sent to the future. second, solar flares dont always slingshot you back to the planet. that only happened in 1969 due to the shape of the solar flare. ever flare is different, some send you forward in time, some backward. so sorry to say it, the flaws you mentioned.. werent flaws.
                          "There's nothing to be gained by second-guessing yourself. You can't remake the past. So look ahead… or risk being left behind"

Woolsey: That sounded like another explosion.
                          O'Neill: Yes. Yes it did.
                          Woolsey: What does that mean?
                          O'Neill: Something exploded...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by andy tyler View Post
                            you need to work on your spelling before you start complaining about theoretical and sci fi physics.
                            Their spelling wasn't bad.

And don't start about someone else's spelling when you don't even capitalize your first word either.

In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

I wish I got to know you better.

Comment

I too would have liked a scene where Shep reappeared on the planet he left from, said something like "oh, thats odd" and redialled atlantis. but thats just me.
                              People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint... it happens to kinda look like the name 'Jeremy Bearimy' in cursive English.

Comment

Working...
                              X