Continuum for S/J shippers SPOILERS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuum for S/J shippers SPOILERS

This is a thread where the S/J shippers can discuss all aspects of "Continuum", not just the shipper one , in peace, without using those pesky spoiler tags.

If you wanna insult the ship, please take it somewhere else.

Have fun shippers.
    sigpic

I'll bring over my post from last night....

I admit. I'd read every spoilers, so I knew...basically...what to expect.

Still. I wasn't prepared for the emotion I felt when Jack died. Or even worse...for when Sam had to deal with it...both the abject shock on her face as she tried desperately to process what was happening in the pyramid...and her absolute stunned condition when they arrived in the frozen ship. Her voice was jagged...breathing was shallow. Yes, she'd just run for the gate...but it was more than that. The others weren't that out of breath. And I swear, she was crying until Cam helped her to focus. And she wept as she said good-bye to Daniel on the ice, knowing full well that he was going to die. And she was quite resigned that they were going to die as she and Cam trudged across all that ice. By then, I don't think she really cared.

And then there was ATL Jack. The first shock is that he's not her Jack...the joy she has at seeing him alive is decimated when she realizes that he doesn't know her. And that the events in this timeline are so dramatically different that Charlie isn't dead...and she is. When they first come on-board the sub and Sam and Jack come onto the deck, the way Sam keeps looking at Jack--it's almost like she's drinking in seeing him alive when for hours and hours she's had to deal with the belief that he's dead. As she gradually realizes that this timeline is so dramatically different though, and that Daniel's usual knowledge about Jack fails in this case, you can see that part of her shut down again. There's no hope for help from this Jack. She doesn't even try.

Oh...and *sob*...as Sam is sent off on her new life. All the things she "can't" do...astrophysics...aeronautics...engineering...I mean..these things are her life: work...the Stargate...Jack...those are all she's ever had. And now...they're gone. (((((Sam))))) And I don't think she (or the others) adapt well at all...I mean...the mundanity of Sam shopping...in cognito...buying something that reminds her of Jack...*weeps quietly* And I also think that the military/whomever kept a very close eye on them...monitored them so that they wouldn't contact each other. I think they would have done so if they'd have thought they could have gotten away with it. Obviously, they couldn't.

As for "moonbase". I need to pay closer attention when it comes up here in a few minutes, but I think Sam has one of those "canary" looks on her face as she says that. No way is the SGC ever thinking of a moonbase. Come on!

I will say, the pacing of the movie through some of the high drama scenes is such that a lot of this can go by without it really registering. Personally, I found it one of the angstiest, best SG eps ever. Would I've liked to see more S/J? D'oh! Ya sure you betcha! But...since S/J has always been built in the subtle gesture, the unspoken look...this is in line with all of that. And I'll just add that the opening set up with Jack and Sam in the pyramid, as they're awaiting the extraction. The filming. The set up. The shots of the two of them...how they're standing a little off to the side, having their own little conversation. One word: COUPLE. The body language is there. No one can look at the two of them standing there and not see it. No shippy glasses required, imho.

Phew. Okay. Thanks everyone, for letting me get that out. Just. Had. To.

*collapses in angsty heap*

Oh...one more thing. The rest of the movie was darn good too!!!!!!
    sigpic

Comment

Oh...and thanks a bunch, Jasmina!!!! *hugs*
      sigpic

Comment

Yes! Thank you! I will now bring my post over...oh and I have a very shippy Continuum sized surprise for everyone. This seems like the BEST place for it! Anywho...more on that later!

Oh, yea! I just remembered I was writing that post in an MS doc last night...it's been a long night. (I might not have went to bed...)

Okay guys...time for my Continuum recap...I'll probaby say what everyone else did...only worse. It's what I do!

So first of all I loved the movie. I just LOVED it. Almost to death.

Anywho. I loved the opening scene, the teaminess of it. The "I'll leave the light on..." speech. I loved the whole S/J boredom talk when they are at the excecution. My favorite part is Sam portraying Jackisms. (When she looks at her watch and makes that face, it reminds me of Jack).

Umm...I also like that at the very beginning of the scene, before Jack even says anything, after he yawns. She is just staring at him. I just love the fact that she was staring at him before he even said anything. I have a boss, and I certainly don't just stare at the man!

She gives him little smiles through out the scene. I love the fact that he asks Mitchell about the Ba'al clones, and then Cameron gets Sam to re-explain things. Cam knows Jack needs Sam to explain things, I guess so that Jack will actually believe it.

Okay...now for the death scene. I loved it. I know, that's weird, isn't it? I loved Jack O'Neill's death scene. I love the angst and the sadness. I love that Sam so would have gotten shot by Mitchell's gun if she had stepped out any further after he had began shooting Ba'al she would have gotten hit.

I love how she is the first one there. I love that they only show her and her reaction to Jack’s death. It is her he stares at while he takes his last breaths. It is her face that he wants in his thoughts and in his mind as he leaves this world.

I absolutely love the fact that Mitchell had to drag her away from Jack’s side. I think that if it were just her and Daniel left in the room with Jack’s body, that she would have ordered him to the gate and she would have stayed. It was very obvious she didn’t want to leave him.

I also love the pink wormhole on the way out. Pink = Changing of the Timeline. Anywho. The scene in the ship with Cam, Sam, and Daniel is one of my favorites. I love it because it shows Sam’s hopelessness and misery over Jack’s death. Sam is always the one to have her head on straight. (Most of the time) Only a few other things have come to mind when Sam hasn’t been all scientist all the time.

Her breath was short. She didn’t comprehend that Mitchell was talking to her even though he said “Carter, what’s going on?”. It took him saying ‘Sam’ for her to reply with an “I don’t know” since when does Carter not knowing something not have a doohickey out and ready to tell her vital information? It takes his ‘we need you in the here and now’ to get her to turn on the scientific part of her brain. To say, oh, yeah…I still have a job to do. Then it’s down to business. I think her old friend, science saves her. It gives her something to discuss, something to hold onto that she is familiar with, something that gives her comfort.

The next scene with Jack in it is the alt. Jack. I love how Sam smiles at him after Cameron asks Jack if he recognizes her. It’s sweet. Now, it may be a little weird…again… that I love the next scene with Jack and the team. It’s angsty and shippy all at the same time!

There is the part where Jack instructs her to tell him about the kawoosh that they saw in the ice when they came back to earth. She tells him and then says: “One where, amongst other things, I am not an astronaut.” She could have said something like: where I am a Lt. Colonel. An astrophysicist…a whoever. But she doesn’t she gives a cryptic statement. I think that along with her facial expressions the statement means something like: “One where, amongst other things, we are married and awaiting your retirement so I can have your children.” (Okay…so maybe not, but you get the fluffy point.)

If you watch Daniel's face in this scene, it is priceless. He.just.knows. He knows what she is getting at, what she is trying to tell Jack without actually telling him. Also, at the end of that scene, after Jack gives orders to the Navy officer and closes the door, Cameron just turns and looks at Sam. He could have looked anywhere else, but he looked at her as if to say: “He’s your husband…Do something!”

Oh, yes…and of course I loved the scenes of Sam/Daniel/Cameron being questioned. I loved their anger at the end. I also love Sam in glasses…it’s her Clark Kent disguise! I love when Daniel calls himself!!!! I also love it when Sam calls Daniel and he says that he was just thinking about her. (I also love that Daniel doesn’t own a TV.)

And now for the conclusion of my radically long post. The scene that Jena and I call the Moon base scene.

First of all, Jack asks if anyone wants lunch. Sam gives him that look and he glances at her and says “I’m buying.” Then comes the MOON BASE discussion. She so meant something shippy, like their new house or babies or something fluffy like that. While writing this, Jena has brought something to my attention. It makes perfect sense! This scene parallels the scene right after the wedding scene in 200. She has that grin on her face, like she did on 200 after Vala pitched the wedding scene. He tried to divert attention then, and he did it in Continuum too, with “What Moon Base?”

A moon base? I mean come on! Moon Base is code for babies. That is my story and I’m sticking to it.

Anywho…I think those are all my thoughts on Continuum right now.

Edit: I would also like to add that I love Vala in this movie she was all kick butt and evil...That was just cool! And umm...yeah, all the men were HOT!
        Last edited by JackandSamAddict; 05 August 2008, 05:55 PM.

Comment

I LOVED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totaly squeed at that *moon*base line and this is my gutter side talking but, the cake jack mentioned at the begining...it's not a REAL cake but code for *coughs* something else ok getting serious. I loved sam's reaction to jack's death very angsty and I love angst (as long as it ends with fluff ) and in the boat she's still shook up. somebody else wrote about that so I won't go into details about something that we already wrote. and I couldn't help but squee at the frootloops (fruitees aparently) still after a year the though of jack makes her catch her breath and she's still feels sad I'm sooo glad they put that in cause when you think about it's (to the plot and the plot only! ) a useless scene witch means it's in just for the ship.... and the fact that someone reconised her but they could have done that any other way! I find the whole movie soo shippy and joel did such an awsome job on the music!! two thumbs up (it would be more if I had more ) It was totally worth going all over twon.. on my bike.. sometimes in the rain... to find it
          + = It's a simple mathematical fact
          And so is...penguins+conformation=HAPPY CAMPERS

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post

Still. I wasn't prepared for the emotion I felt when Jack died. Or even worse...for when Sam had to deal with it...both the abject shock on her face as she tried desperately to process what was happening in the pyramid...and her absolute stunned condition when they arrived in the frozen ship. Her voice was jagged...breathing was shallow. Yes, she'd just run for the gate...but it was more than that. The others weren't that out of breath. And I swear, she was crying until Cam helped her to focus. And she wept as she said good-bye to Daniel on the ice, knowing full well that he was going to die. And she was quite resigned that they were going to die as she and Cam trudged across all that ice. By then, I don't think she really cared.

And then there was ATL Jack. The first shock is that he's not her Jack...the joy she has at seeing him alive is decimated when she realizes that he doesn't know her. And that the events in this timeline are so dramatically different that Charlie isn't dead...and she is. When they first come on-board the sub and Sam and Jack come onto the deck, the way Sam keeps looking at Jack--it's almost like she's drinking in seeing him alive when for hours and hours she's had to deal with the belief that he's dead. As she gradually realizes that this timeline is so dramatically different though, and that Daniel's usual knowledge about Jack fails in this case, you can see that part of her shut down again. There's no hope for help from this Jack. She doesn't even try.

Oh...and *sob*...as Sam is sent off on her new life. All the things she "can't" do...astrophysics...aeronautics...engineering...I mean..these things are her life: work...the Stargate...Jack...those are all she's ever had. And now...they're gone. (((((Sam))))) And I don't think she (or the others) adapt well at all...I mean...the mundanity of Sam shopping...in cognito...buying something that reminds her of Jack...*weeps quietly* And I also think that the military/whomever kept a very close eye on them...monitored them so that they wouldn't contact each other. I think they would have done so if they'd have thought they could have gotten away with it. Obviously, they couldn't.

As for "moonbase". I need to pay closer attention when it comes up here in a few minutes, but I think Sam has one of those "canary" looks on her face as she says that. No way is the SGC ever thinking of a moonbase. Come on!

I will say, the pacing of the movie through some of the high drama scenes is such that a lot of this can go by without it really registering. Personally, I found it one of the angstiest, best SG eps ever. Would I've liked to see more S/J? D'oh! Ya sure you betcha! But...since S/J has always been built in the subtle gesture, the unspoken look...this is in line with all of that. And I'll just add that the opening set up with Jack and Sam in the pyramid, as they're awaiting the extraction. The filming. The set up. The shots of the two of them...how they're standing a little off to the side, having their own little conversation. One word: COUPLE. The body language is there. No one can look at the two of them standing there and not see it. No shippy glasses required, imho.

In watching it for the second time this morning... I must say... I am seeing the ship more...

I mean... I caught the obvious... the look between them on the sub, the way Cam had to yell at her. The fruit loops (which imo, may or may not the "knock off" because she can'r bring herself to eat them... I'm thinking $$ and product placement.)

I thought the movie was good. And now that I am on my next re-watch, (besides the shippy stuff) I am catching more and more.

Reb <3 and I are doing a real time watch today at 12 noon (EST) I am sure we will post our thoughts here.

On another note:

My husband got out at noon, and had to drive all over NE Ohio to find a copy of it. 4 different Wal-Marts and Targets, 3 Circiut Citys, 2 Best Buys... before he finally found it one hour away at a Best Buy... and it was their last copy.

I hope this means that it is doing very very well... and that there will be a third movie.... that RDA, AT and et al, are available for it.

EDIT: I have a special place in my heart for timeline stories... which I *think* this is why I liked this so much.

And I think this gives to TPTB about how time travel works with the stargate. Solar Flares all around. I like the fact that they have never divated from that.
            Last edited by madaline_7; 30 July 2008, 05:49 AM. Reason: One more thing
            Slidell and I are re-watching SG1. Why don't you join us? SGBFFF-SG1-Rewatchsigpic
            You want to read Torn written by Slidell Yes... yes you do.

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post

You summed up all the points very nicely, like always, and now I wanna see it again so that I can pay closer attention to all those scenes. Oh, the pain you're forcing me to endure.
              I'll post something meaningful later.

And you're welcomed.
              sigpic

Comment

Sorry guys didn't hate it but didn't like it either. They wasted RDA and they made Jack play stupid Jack (especially when he attacks Ba'al and gets stabbed-lame), Sam's reaction was pulled back (I was an EMT so I know peoples reaction under stress) and it was a largely Mitchell saved the Day episode (give me a break). AoT I didn't expect much so I think I enjoyed it more. The Fruit Loops scene was good add on but TPTB really didn't give us shippers much and I don't like to digs to pull "maybe" shippy things out of the scenes. Continuum was definitely nothing like Lost City or close to it's level. There's more but I don't want to be a wet blanket. Enjoy!
                sigpic

Comment

My post will be a lot shorter then everyone elses and will be less in depth.
                  But I just had to say...

SAM ANGST
                  FROOT LOOPS
                  "MOONBASE"

Woo-Hoo.

Comment

Afaic Continuum didn't have one single shippy bit in it. I think we should ask JM what was the scene in which us shippers "could have taken solace in"...
                    Jack's death scene and Sam's reaction show more surprise than hurt, and it certainly doesn't show that Sam cares for him more than a friend (She still cries "Sir" for crying out; even in Lost City (when she was with Pete) she cried Jack!!!)
                    IMHO it's wrong to let TPTB believe that we find Continuum shippy or full of shippy bits. They'll start thinking it's ok to have Jack in a cameo role or that we're delighted to get just some crums in the form on slightly flirty Sam/Jack interaction (not dissimilar from what Sam/Cam exhibit both in Continuum and AoT (per Coop's admission))
                    Anyway it's good (for you) that you can be satisfied with the ship in Continuum , but I think it's bad for the SHIP if TPTB get wind you're so easily satisfied without RESOLUTION/CONFIRMATION
                    Ship on!

Comment

Ok... first I want to retract my original argument about the off brand fruit loops. I saw Kellogg's Rice Krispies.
                      Slidell and I are re-watching SG1. Why don't you join us? SGBFFF-SG1-Rewatchsigpic

Comment

Originally posted by madaline_7 View Post
                        Ok... first I want to retract my original argument about the off brand fruit loops. I saw Kellogg's Rice Krispies.
                        I wanted to say something...but then I didn't Sam would have even eaten the off-brand Fruit Loops for Jack...

Oh, I just loved this movie! I am going to watch it over and over!

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
                          I wanted to say something...but then I didn't Sam would have even eaten the off-brand Fruit Loops for Jack...

Oh, I just loved this movie! I am going to watch it over and over!
                          I am middle of my second viewing now... I am liking it more and more. Although some of my favorite episodes I didn't like at first either.

Comment

Originally posted by madaline_7 View Post
                            I am middle of my second viewing now... I am liking it more and more. Although some of my favorite episodes I didn't like at first either.
                            I might be going out on a limb here...I do tend to say things in the heat (or fluff) of the moment...BUT I think this might be my favorite SG-1 anything.

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
                              I might be going out on a limb here...I do tend to say things in the heat (or fluff) of the moment...BUT I think this might be my favorite SG-1 anything.

It was nice to see Cam and Sam in fighters again.

Comment

Working...
                              X