This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wheres the action?

For the record iv bought both films and would do so again. I wasnt in love with AOT but i liked it, i thought it had the possibility to be way better with a grand space battle taking on some ori, so imagine my surprise when there was hardly any action at all in Continuum. With an altered timeline here was a great chance to give us a glimpse of the asgard again, or even a large battle of gliders and alkesh vs our fighters, rather than a short sequence of running. Or launching a few nukes at the Hataks. When you get a bigger budget, i dont care about a beautiful artic setting, i want CGI space battles and fire fights. There was plunty of extra scenes and time that could have been added to this movie, instead of long fade ins and outs with dramatic music. On a 1-10 scale of worst to best, AOT was a 6-7, and Continuum was a 3-4. And by far uneding was the best episode and would rate it a 9.

With that being said, a bad stargate movie is better than a great movie of anything esle scifie tv could produce. So I hope we see more movies in the future and hopefully with more action/battles.
    sigpic

Surely you cant be serious, I am serious and dont call me shirly.

Danmit. What is it Oneil? I forgot to tape the simpsons .... Its important to me

Sir i think you have gone mad with power.
    Ofcourse I have, have you ever gone mad without power, its no fun, noone listens to you

Agree, it was good as a movie, however i left it feeling where was the action? It felt more like panaramic scenic shots put together, just cos they had access to a few jets.

Comment

I loved the scene with the jets.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

I thought it was good also, but way to short, you need a larger scale than that in a movie setting. Even episodes have had more.
        sigpic

Danmit. What is it Oneil? I forgot to tape the simpsons .... Its important to me

Ofcourse I have, have you ever gone mad without power, its no fun, noone listens to you

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
          I loved the scene with the jets.
          Same here. It was very well done.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Space battles didn't used to equal stargate. This was (for me) a welcome return to the characterization, humor, pivotal use of the stargate, and ground battles(as opposed to ships in space). It was just what I was hoping for!

Agreed on the jets (F-18's?) - and how great was it when the Migs showed up? Pretty teriffic the way the Air Force and the Navy got behind the film! The sub was awesome!

Personally, I thought this was a much better film than Ark of Truth (which I enjoyed). This was much more classic stargate. I suspect that opinions of it will be divided between those who prefer 1-8 and those who prefer 9-10 or Atlantis.

I thought it was good also, but way to short, you need a larger scale than that in a movie setting. Even episodes have had more.
            They only gave them 7 million per movie. That's a pittance! I'm sure that there would have been more of pretty much everything if they'd had a bigger budget.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
              Space battles didn't used to equal stargate. This was (for me) a welcome return to the characterization, humor, pivotal use of the stargate, and ground battles(as opposed to ships in space). It was just what I was hoping for!

Agreed on the jets (F-18's?) - and how great was it when the Migs showed up? Pretty teriffic the way the Air Force and the Navy got behind the film! The sub was awesome!

Personally, I thought this was a much better film than Ark of Truth (which I enjoyed). This was much more classic stargate. I suspect that opinions of it will be divided between those who prefer 1-8 and those who prefer 9-10 or Atlantis.

They only gave them 7 million per movie. That's a pittance! I'm sure that there would have been more of pretty much everything if they'd had a bigger budget.
              I enjoy anything stargate and even if it had been terrible i would still support and buy it so the franchise continues. But I absolutely loved the episode unending, it had everything, great cgi and battles, great personal storylines, and it felt like a movie even tho it was just an episode, and had a awesome ending. And it was only an hour and it was certainly cost less than 7 million.
              I am just wondering where that 7 million went, extra music? scenic shots? The jets? Because weve seen f302's in firefights that lasted longer. Also you didnt really get a huge feel for the characters like you did in unending.
              I guess whereas its a movie scale im expecting not just another sg1 storyline but one of the best storys that has it all and not just some.
              sigpic

Comment

I enjoy anything stargate and even if it had been terrible i would still support and buy it so the franchise continues. But I absolutely loved the episode unending, it had everything, great cgi and battles, great personal storylines, and it felt like a movie even tho it was just an episode, and had a awesome ending. And it was only an hour and it was certainly cost less than 7 million.
                I am just wondering where that 7 million went, extra music? scenic shots? The jets? Because weve seen f302's in firefights that lasted longer. Also you didnt really get a huge feel for the characters like you did in unending.
                I guess whereas its a movie scale im expecting not just another sg1 storyline but one of the best storys that has it all and not just some.
                Ah... We're just not going to find much in the way of commonality on 'good'. I really really (really) didn't like unending. So we could go back and forth forever and not come to agreement. I will leave it except to say that location shooting is expensive.

Comment

Originally posted by amconway View Post
                  Ah... We're just not going to find much in the way of commonality on 'good'. I really really (really) didn't like unending. So we could go back and forth forever and not come to agreement. I will leave it except to say that location shooting is expensive.
                  Hahaha agree to disagree. I had thought unending was the perfect balance of action and storyline, with you really getting to see inside the characters. And the perfect happy moment of the mission continuing at the end. But different strokes for different folks.
                  sigpic

Comment

The arctic stuff didn't really seem worth it, IMO. Most of the shots I was like "They could have shot this in my back yard."

The shot of the sub coming up through the ice was so underwhelming because of the way in which it was shot. Locked off on sticks, not framed all that well. Maybe if it was a helicopter or crane shot it would have looked cool, but it was just like "OK, it's a big ass metal thing coming up...".

IMO the money and effort they spent shooting in the arctic could have been spent on putting in more action beats, and lengthening the action beats that we had, improving on them, etc. The F-15s vs Gliders lasted like 30 seconds and none of the main characters even seemed to get a kill in (don't think they were armed, but that could have been changed in the script to allow for some heroics), that skirmish in the time travel machine consisted of SG-1 standing motionless and shooting at Jaffa. Whooptey do.
                    Sign the Petition to get the SG-1 Complete Series Bonus Discs released separately!
                    http://www.petitiononline.com/SG1CSBD/petition.html

Comment

yeah about AOT, i was excited and thought "wow, the odyssey now has plasma weapons and can take on ori ships and that could mean more space battles!". But no, not a single battle in space, all there was was a brutal-almost-fatal ass kicking by the ori, and yeah in this one they didn't have many fights except for the gun fight at the end and the f-15/mig/gliders fight. I expected more.

KEEP IT CLEAN
                      Alternate BAMSR:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNCunG0llLk
                      Halo Alpha Centauri trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eb5po1zQE1k

Comment

Originally posted by delrey View Post
                        For the record iv bought both films and would do so again. I wasnt in love with AOT but i liked it, i thought it had the possibility to be way better with a grand space battle taking on some ori, so imagine my surprise when there was hardly any action at all in Continuum. With an altered timeline here was a great chance to give us a glimpse of the asgard again, or even a large battle of gliders and alkesh vs our fighters, rather than a short sequence of running. Or launching a few nukes at the Hataks. When you get a bigger budget, i dont care about a beautiful artic setting, i want CGI space battles and fire fights. There was plunty of extra scenes and time that could have been added to this movie, instead of long fade ins and outs with dramatic music. On a 1-10 scale of worst to best, AOT was a 6-7, and Continuum was a 3-4. And by far uneding was the best episode and would rate it a 9.

With that being said, a bad stargate movie is better than a great movie of anything esle scifie tv could produce. So I hope we see more movies in the future and hopefully with more action/battles.
                        Space action in stargate is always there to further the plot, not the other way around. We call that BSG.

Comment

Space action in stargate is always there to further the plot, not the other way around.
                          Too true! It's one of the things many things that sets it apart.

Comment

Continuum had plenty of action in my opinion. In fact... most of it was action. Of my few complaints with the film i would never think to complain there was enough action. O + y are we comparing the 2 SG-1 movies to Unending? Is it just b/c it is the most recent episode of the series?

Comment

Originally posted by Beckmen View Post
                              The arctic stuff didn't really seem worth it, IMO. Most of the shots I was like "They could have shot this in my back yard."

The shot of the sub coming up through the ice was so underwhelming because of the way in which it was shot. Locked off on sticks, not framed all that well. Maybe if it was a helicopter or crane shot it would have looked cool, but it was just like "OK, it's a big ass metal thing coming up...".

IMO the money and effort they spent shooting in the arctic could have been spent on putting in more action beats, and lengthening the action beats that we had, improving on them, etc. The F-15s vs Gliders lasted like 30 seconds and none of the main characters even seemed to get a kill in (don't think they were armed, but that could have been changed in the script to allow for some heroics), that skirmish in the time travel machine consisted of SG-1 standing motionless and shooting at Jaffa. Whooptey do.
                              i am with you. it's unfortunate too, because i wish i could appreciate how much money and effort went into those scenes...

i'm not sure i necessarily missed better action, or just more adventure. The 1939 boat scene for example, i was just like "this is it? we travel all the way back in time and all we explore is a few rooms on a ship?" just felt like a cheat.

the action scenes were ok, but i wasn't impressed because they'd already done those dog fights and firefights. there wasn't any new kind of action. for example, someone commented that Ba'al should have had a personal shield...that would have been cool, have Ba'al (who never gets dirty) duke it out with Mitchell...

Comment

Working...
                              X