This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alternate Plot (Spoilers)

So I just watched Continuum. It was a good movie, I thought it was better than Ark of Truth, since the setting in the Milky Way Galaxy let us see more familiar faces than in the Ori home Galaxy. But while it was a good movie it was totally not what I was expecting, and I wanted to come on here and rant about what I thought it was going to be, what it should have been.

What I knew about this movie from released blurbs ahead of time was that Baal travels back in time to stop the Stargate Program from ever being developed. Baal. Time travel. This made me think of an earlier episode, Season 10 The Quest Part 2. That was where they found Merlin and released him from the hibernation chamber. The first thing he says when he wakes up is something to the effect of "Sir Galahad thank heavens you're here" to Daniel Jackson. He also recognizes Baal, and other members of SG1. Then he sort of snaps out of it and seems to come to his senses.

I was under the impression that we were supposed to assume that Merlin was an old, confused man who had just been woken up after 1000 years and was hallucinating a little bit. Then after hearing the premise of this last movie I decided that this old, confused man woke up after 1000 years, saw trusted friends and an adversary, then came to his senses and noticed that they didn't recognize him and realized that they must not have gone back in time yet. When I realized this I was thrilled, what a perfect last hurrah for a Stargate movie! Time travel, kicking ass and taking names along side Merlin, and best of all a plot that was hinted at and taken into account half a season (and a couple years in real life) earlier in a subtle way that almost no one would catch the first time, but would be crystal clear after watching the movie. Imagine my intense disappointment when that wasn't what happened at all. Baal went back to 1939 instead of the dark ages and I didn't even get to watch Teal'c beat up Nazi's as a consolation prize.

Don't get me wrong, I did think that this movie was great and enjoyed it, I had just really hyped it up for myself and built this alternative plot from (imagined) clues and was stunned when it was something else entirely, and I needed to rant about it somewhere.

I think you read too much into the ramblings of a confused old man who had just come out of a 1,000 year stasis.

Comment

Well boo-freakin-hoo. You had an idea with no real grounds, and turned out to be wrong. Big deal. Move on.

"We're grown-ups now and it's our turn to decide what that means." - xkcd
      The Church of Mappothism | My YouTube Videos (mostly Farscape music videos)

Starburst 1.1 1.2 1.3 | 2.1 2.2 2.3 | 3.1 3.2 3.3 | 4.1 4.2 4.3

Comment

Working...
      X