PDA

View Full Version : New Conference Table

Dr Quinn
July 27th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Guess the producers and crew are glad the old table is gone, but that new one either looks like a church window with a big ol' cross in the middle of it or it has a coffin motif in the center - I keep expecting a vampire to pop out of it. (although I guess the cross would prevent that from happening). :o

Jumper_One
July 27th, 2008, 07:19 PM
Masterchief writes: “hey Joe I was wondering why did you get rid of the old table in the conference room?”

Answer: Honestly? Because it was a pain to shoot around and the new table offers the directors the opportunity to shoot more dynamic conference room scenes.
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/25/july-25-2008-with-special-guest-award-winning-artistillustratordesigner-john-picacio/

Killdeer
July 27th, 2008, 07:25 PM
*headdesk* You know, I never even thought of the coffin thing until someone somewhere else mentioned it, and now I can't help thinking of it every time I see that table. :S :D

prion
July 28th, 2008, 04:57 AM
*headdesk* You know, I never even thought of the coffin thing until someone somewhere else mentioned it, and now I can't help thinking of it every time I see that table. :S :D

Oh lord, the first thing I thought when I saw that table was 'coffin.' It's got the shape of the 'old west' coffins.

Cree
July 28th, 2008, 06:15 AM
It made me think of voyager tbh. i thought it might me a lil in joke about rob, as the shape of the table is similar to the briefing room table on voyager. clerly i was wrong lol.

Ikaros
July 28th, 2008, 11:46 AM
Oh lord, the first thing I thought when I saw that table was 'coffin.' It's got the shape of the 'old west' coffins.

Unbelievable!!!! i am watching the show with my brother and some friends and we all said the same think "he brought a coffin-shaped table just to show to them where he is going to put them if they dare to talk back".Then off course we laughed at our own comment. But it is a coffin -shaped table:o

Mitchell82
July 28th, 2008, 04:44 PM
http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2008/07/25/july-25-2008-with-special-guest-award-winning-artistillustratordesigner-john-picacio/

I guess having a table that you had to pull apart and push back (table in SG-1) was probably just as frustrating.

perkin127
July 30th, 2008, 03:34 PM
i like the idea that the new table is woolseys one personal item he brought to Atlantis (although obviously now that rule no longer applies) but i think i could really see woolsey bringing his table (bit like a sports car of beaurocrats) mines bugger than yours!

foggygirl
July 31st, 2008, 12:48 PM
Funny I never noticed that the table looked like a coffin till someone just pointed it out. That table was there when they first walked through the gate into a dark and deserted Atlantis and it sort of irks me that they felt the need to change the table at all.

Jill_Ion
July 31st, 2008, 01:46 PM
I don't see the conference table as coffin-like, but I guess one can see it that way. I really like the new table. :) The old table was cool, but the metal and glass made the room seem cold, and the big hole in the middle visually separated the people sitting around it. It made any conference seem like people were at war and couldn't sit near each other.

The new table, with the yellow and red wood colors, brings more warmth to the room and visually brings the people together - makes them feel connected.

Falcon Horus
July 31st, 2008, 03:45 PM
And there goes another relic of the Ancients out the window... And in comes the coffin ... table, I mean.

Ha, the design looked familiar... thank you for pointing it out. Is this a sign of what is yet to come?

Hate to say it, but I liked the other table better, even if it was difficult to shoot around. Challenges are there to conquer them. This sounds like they just took the easy way out and made it look like any other briefing room in the SGC ... Atlantis, I mean.

Kezia
July 31st, 2008, 03:57 PM
Masterchief writes: “hey Joe I was wondering why did you get rid of the old table in the conference room?”

Answer: Honestly? Because it was a pain to shoot around and the new table offers the directors the opportunity to shoot more dynamic conference room scenes.
"Dynamic conference room scenes"? Don't remember seeing any, to be honest.

Hate to say it, but I liked the other table better, even if it was difficult to shoot around. Challenges are there to conquer them. This sounds like they just took the easy way out and made it look like any other briefing room in the SGC ... Atlantis, I mean.
ITA, bringing in a table from SG-1 was a major cop-out.

Falcon Horus
July 31st, 2008, 04:02 PM

I wonder what it really means cause people usually sit around the table, talking. There's not much moving, if you're not the camera to which it relates.

Jumper_One
July 31st, 2008, 04:09 PM

how so? it was Woolsey's decision and apparently he doesn't like the Ancient stuff in Atlantis so he replaces the conference table. makes perfect sense imo

jelgate
July 31st, 2008, 04:19 PM
Kezia is talking from a production standpoint and agree with his/her statment. The orginal table was so much cooler

jenks
July 31st, 2008, 04:51 PM
If they hadn't mentioned it I doubt I'd have noticed. It's a table for crying out loud...

perkin127
August 1st, 2008, 02:24 AM
I dont get why they need to make breifing scenes more dynamic i mean you need to know whats going on in the scene not look at the strange camera angles, i have a very short attention span, and i get distracted easily, i did spend a lot of that scene 1st time round looking at the table which reminded me of something....(yes it is a coffin im just slow) and had to rewind

PG15
August 1st, 2008, 10:46 AM
Wouldn't you get distracted more easily if the scene is shot boringly though?

GoSpikey
August 2nd, 2008, 03:37 PM
I liked the way Todd was sitting at that table in BAMSR... There was lots of space between each person present there, in that meeting.

Can you imagine the same scene with that table they brought in now?

I mean, Larrin would practically be sitting on Todd's Sheppard's lap, for crying out loud...

:eek: Better had change that.

jelgate
August 2nd, 2008, 06:10 PM
I would perfer Larrin on Todd's lap just in case he gets hungry

Falcon Horus
August 3rd, 2008, 03:55 AM
I would perfer Larrin on Todd's lap just in case he gets hungry

What he said... :D

perkin127
August 3rd, 2008, 03:45 PM
Wouldn't you get distracted more easily if the scene is shot boringly though?

surprisingly no, i tend to remember things i hear more than what i see, so just dialogue (for a short period of time) does tend to keep my attention, and yes i do know how weird i am

Blencathra
August 5th, 2008, 02:27 AM
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3085/2684816751_220bd8ae6a_o.jpg

Good grief. You're right. It does look like a coffin. :S

Merlin1701
August 6th, 2008, 07:30 AM
I liked the previous design as people could be split into departments of science, command and military around the table. Perhaps in the future it may return.

Bring back the triangular table petition starting!

Jill_Ion
August 6th, 2008, 06:54 PM

But you know it isn't the same table as was in the SGC conference room, right? That one is black and red.

Osiristi
August 7th, 2008, 10:48 AM
Isn't there at least two briefing/conference rooms used in Atlantis? The smaller one with the triangular (coffin, nowadays) table and the bigger one with the curve-like design? So this new one replaced the triangular one, huh?

Jill_Ion
August 8th, 2008, 12:43 PM
I think so, but sometimes I get confused as to which room is which.

jelgate
August 10th, 2008, 12:12 PM
The triangle room is more for interogations while the open one is for actual briefings.