Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

original weapon design

i checked the forums as best as i could so here goes

I started this thread to suppliment the starship design threads. In this thread we will create capitol and fighter class weapons as well as "deployables" -- weapons meant to be dropped such as the horrizon -- using current or forseeable future (1-2 years) tech

one rule: no fanwank. No death-star guns or super one-of-a-kind uberweapons

OK I'll start,

the mark 12 "planet cracker"

4 mark 9 - 1.2 gigaton warheads arranged in a tetrahedron (4 faced pyramid) and set off as a shapped charge

the theory is the same as the shaped charge in a mk. 7 RPG. The expanding nuclear plasma forms a jet which penetrates deep into the mantle of a planet and internal pressure of the planet will effectivly destroy the surface of the planet rendering it useless from a habbitable or strategic standpoint if not destroying it outright

(and no i cant spell so leave me alone)
    And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

they have a similar thread for this that has ships

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=47948
    *Turn in your P-90 for a MP7; the standard issue weapon for any SG Team*

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by =SGA=Jason_Binn View Post
      they have a similar thread for this that has ships

http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=47948

that and the origional starship design thread are for new whole ships
      this thread is for new weapons to go on those ships
      And the meek shall inherit the earth...............but only after the last soldier wills it to them

Comment

alright, if you say so, i gotta rack my brain for something so ill be right with you, i mean you dont walk arounnd the office with plans or some fictional super wep

sigpic

Comment

doesn't have to be a superweapon could even be a sugested upgrade to the railguns

Comment

to be frank, railguns....i dont know why they even say, "fire railguns" anymore, they depend heavily on missiles and now the asgard death beams.... and besides a railgun upgrade would be too big, it would need sufficient support to keep the barrel from shattering from a "upgraded shot"...... im thinking something like a ship-to-ship death star beam...a mini one

sigpic

Comment

didn't my OP say "NO deathstar guns" or am i just imagining things?

and besides railguns are more of point defense guns anyway (anti-fighter weapons)

Comment

more like a souped up asgard death beam....well there where never any clips of them being used against fighters....it was all ship-to-ship action....like in BAMSR they used them on the unshielded ancient warships

sigpic

Comment

if you listen to the dialague they refer to the rail guns as "see-wiz" guns which is CIWS (close in weapon system)
                  not to say that a railgun round going that fast wont cause massive dammage to any target it hits whatever it is shooting at

i'm going to bed -- i'll find you the quotes in the morning

Comment

Originally posted by QuantumDragon View Post
                    if you listen to the dialague they refer to the rail guns as "see-wiz" guns which is CIWS (close in weapon system)
                    not to say that a railgun round going that fast wont cause massive dammage to any target it hits whatever it is shooting at

i'm going to bed -- i'll find you the quotes in the morning
                    well it still doesnt make sense how they still open fire on long range and shielded targets, i mean, given the velocity and whatnot its very damaging but the shields probably werent in any stress by being hit by railgun ammo. g'nite

sigpic

Comment

ill subscribe to this post so i will know when you post, dont wanna get your hopes up but i think its just you and me

sigpic

Comment

oh and congrat on the hundred post

sigpic

Comment

Railgun Turrets:

CIWS.

eight barreled Railgun, directly fed by the ship. supercooling, naquahdah/trinium/carbon and trinium/naquahdah alloys allow the railguns to fire powerfull, 20MM railgun slugs at high[mach 20] speed, over the range of 2 lightseconds. with eight barrels, it can create unmatched firepower, or fire two barrels at once, and totally annihilate any incomings.
                          the turret comes with its own sensors, and a small Computer. only targets marked as friendly arent automatically shot down.

Railturret:
                          modes:
                          -prolonged fire. one barrel fires at maximum speed
                          -Rapidfire. two barrels fire at maximum speed, but for a shorter time.
                          -Shotgun fire. all barrels fire, but with slower ROF.

Plasma Turret.
                          Turret, with three X-700 STS PLasma weapons.

the turret comes with targeting, oneway shielding, a tough, ceramic polymer armour, and Carbonfibre Skeleton. three plasma weapons, derived from the X-699, are capable of inflicting great damage.

Comment

Originally posted by =SGA=Jason_Binn View Post
                            i mean you dont walk arounnd the office with plans or some fictional super wep
                            It's just me who does that then...

I'm currently thinking about nuclear warhead variants - bigger isn't always better. Assuming the SGC / Homeworld Security basically appropriates existing nukes and modifies or outright reprocesses them, how about this? Be kind, this is my first attempt at anything like this:

Mk. 17 Tactical Warhead

The Mk. 17 "Decimator" is a low yield (2kt) shaped nuclear charge, designed to direct the majority of its energy into a narrow plasma cone. The plasma and radiation, however, are considered secondary effects of the weapon.

The primary damage effect comes from four thousand graphite coated high carbon tungsten-trinium alloy flechettes (12mm long) packed around the nuclear charge.

When the weapon is detonated, these flechettes, initially protected by their graphite jackets (which function as ablative heat shields that last long enough to prevent the flechettes vaporising), are heated to white hot temperatures even as they are accelerated to hypervelocity (speeds well in excess of 100,000 kph have been predicted).

While such a weapon has barely any effect on heavily armoured or well shielded vessels, simulations suggest Mk. 17s will be extremely useful in thinning approaching swarms of Wraith Darts, Goa'uld Death Gliders or other lightly armoured, unshielded craft in tight formation. F-302 deployment will be significantly safer, BC-304 batteries can concentrate more fire on capitol ships and CIWS systems will have fewer targets to contend with.

Targets in the centre of the blast cone are ripped apart by multiple impacts similar to low calibre railgun hits, with the advantage of a single detonation delivering many more hits in one second than a single 304's batteries could achieve in ten.
                            And now it's time for one last bow, like all your other selves. Eleven's hour is over now... the clock is striking Twelve's.
                            sigpic
                            Stargate Ragnarok | FF.net | AO3 | Lakeside | My Fallout 3 Mods | Poppy Appeal | Help For Heroes | Combat Stress

Comment

annother upgrade i thought of but was doing research for was "nuclear" rounds for the railguns:

basicly a solid naq. tip 20 -40 mm long depending on desired yield with a 5 mm llong needle spike on the back. this is followed by a hollow steel jacket with a foil wrapped pellet of potassium in it (see sg-1 season 2 episode singularity)

when the round hits something either a ships shields hull or it's shields the pellet slams forward with enough force to impale it on the spike and BOOM the naq spontaniusly continues the reaction like a fission bomb untill all the naq is consumed

this will make railguns once again an effective anti-capitol ship weapon
                              Last edited by QuantumDragon; 27 July 2008, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X