PDA

View Full Version : Wraith

Gate-builder
July 26th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Was it just me or did the main Wraith in this episode not come across as very scary, and just.......not look right?
I have been watching season 1 and 2 episodes recently and the Wraith were much better back then, I find the one in Condemmed particulary creepy. So whats going on? I want the older wraith back!
Apart from this, tonights episode was really enjoyable.

naamiaiset
July 26th, 2008, 05:09 AM
I have been watching season 1 and 2 episodes recently and the Wraith were much better back then, I find the one in Condemmed particulary creepy. So whats going on? I want the older wraith back!
that's because in seasons one and two, the writers' hadn't destroyed the wraith's credibility. james lafazanos also did a good job playing the characters.

the wraith in this ep could've been done better in some areas, but overall, I liked him.

A Wraith Named Bob
July 26th, 2008, 08:53 AM
His voice didn't seem as scratchy/Wraith-like to me. I think it took away from the fear factor.

dasNdanger
July 26th, 2008, 09:18 AM
Reposting what I said in the main BT thread...

First, I liked this Wraith. Tyler did a great job - I liked him a bit better than Scott from last year (granny wig Wraith). I love it when the Wraith are slimy and creepy. They are bugs, afterall. I don't think they're supposed to scare us, they're supposed to make our skin crawl...just like when we see a bug creeping across the floor.

This Wraith came across as a bit cold, a bit more casual than some of the others, as if he's quite comfortable around human worshippers, confident that they will do his bidding. He's also a bit softer - not as in-yer-face aggressive as the earlier Wraith - I liked this, too...there's a certain discomforting menace about it.

You can't compare this Wraith to others since it's a different actor. He's a lot like Penny Wraith (Todd's double-crossing technician), but still different. I LOVED his "No Mercy" line...very creepy and cold.

My main complaint about this Wraith is not in the portrayal, but in writing/character development. I'll specifically talk about the Wraith's motivation here.

As far as the worshipper concept goes, that's no different from some species of ants who capture slaves from other species, forcing them to work for the colony, even becoming dependent on those slaves for survival.

So, the Wraith are the same - they need someone to work for them, praise them, serve them. Cool. At least there's a little development here, but now explain WHY they need this. It’s too easy to say it’s arrogance - if anything, I’d say it’s insecurity…or a need to fill some void in their society. Afterall, if TPTB are going to ruin the whole ‘gift of life’ concept, it would be nice to see a little more depth here than just ’suck/puke/suck/puke/suck/puke - you’re my worshipper now!’.

Give reasons why they need to do this - tell us their side of the story, too. Right now, and with the exception of Todd, it’s still…’grrr! I’m gonna suck you!’ without adding real depth of character. Yes, I know…he was trying to impress…but WHY did he need to? Was he under the same pressure to gain acceptance as Tyre was under?

You know…I’m going to go with that one. In my mind, Tyler Wraith had to jump through huge hoops to gain the approval of his own, just like Tyre was trying to jump through hoops to regain the Wraith’s approval. The Wraith only expected of Tyre what was expected of him. That would explain both how the hive treats their own (’no sympathy for the fallen’), and how they, in turn, treat humans. They are only dishing out to others what has already been dished out to them.

That makes sense to me, so I’m going with it. Otherwise, there would be no point to the Wraith in this story.

das

A Wraith Named Bob
July 26th, 2008, 11:03 AM
I did think that this Wraith looked cool, though. He had a different look to him and I like the variety. It makes the wraith seem more like a society.

Specter177
July 26th, 2008, 12:31 PM
Who picks the names for these Wraith, other than the ones Sheppard makes up.

marty2006
July 26th, 2008, 12:45 PM
The wraith look better than they did in the early seasons imho, however i agree with the voices, they could be changed a little more to sound as scary as they look.

Lord batchi ball
July 26th, 2008, 03:11 PM
The wraith look better than they did in the early seasons imho, however i agree with the voices, they could be changed a little more to sound as scary as they look.

I thrid that, the voice seemed a little high pitch, maybe he's a unix. Now thats a creepy thought

mago1978
July 26th, 2008, 03:44 PM
Reposting what I said in the main BT thread...

First, I liked this Wraith. Tyler did a great job - I liked him a bit better than Scott from last year (granny wig Wraith). I love it when the Wraith are slimy and creepy. They are bugs, afterall. I don't think they're supposed to scare us, they're supposed to make our skin crawl...just like when we see a bug creeping across the floor.

This Wraith came across as a bit cold, a bit more casual than some of the others, as if he's quite comfortable around human worshippers, confident that they will do his bidding. He's also a bit softer - not as in-yer-face aggressive as the earlier Wraith - I liked this, too...there's a certain discomforting menace about it.

You can't compare this Wraith to others since it's a different actor. He's a lot like Penny Wraith (Todd's double-crossing technician), but still different. I LOVED his "No Mercy" line...very creepy and cold.

My main complaint about this Wraith is not in the portrayal, but in writing/character development. I'll specifically talk about the Wraith's motivation here.

As far as the worshipper concept goes, that's no different from some species of ants who capture slaves from other species, forcing them to work for the colony, even becoming dependent on those slaves for survival.

So, the Wraith are the same - they need someone to work for them, praise them, serve them. Cool. At least there's a little development here, but now explain WHY they need this. It’s too easy to say it’s arrogance - if anything, I’d say it’s insecurity…or a need to fill some void in their society. Afterall, if TPTB are going to ruin the whole ‘gift of life’ concept, it would be nice to see a little more depth here than just ’suck/puke/suck/puke/suck/puke - you’re my worshipper now!’.

Give reasons why they need to do this - tell us their side of the story, too. Right now, and with the exception of Todd, it’s still…’grrr! I’m gonna suck you!’ without adding real depth of character. Yes, I know…he was trying to impress…but WHY did he need to? Was he under the same pressure to gain acceptance as Tyre was under?

You know…I’m going to go with that one. In my mind, Tyler Wraith had to jump through huge hoops to gain the approval of his own, just like Tyre was trying to jump through hoops to regain the Wraith’s approval. The Wraith only expected of Tyre what was expected of him. That would explain both how the hive treats their own (’no sympathy for the fallen’), and how they, in turn, treat humans. They are only dishing out to others what has already been dished out to them.

That makes sense to me, so I’m going with it. Otherwise, there would be no point to the Wraith in this story.

das

Maybe they use the Wraith worshipers when discretion is necessary, i.e. for recon of a planet where they know there are people but the Hives can't find them because they are all in a secret hideout.

Or it could be that they serve a function as simple as being the Wraiths' M.R.E.s (Meals Ready to Eat) or in the case of the Wraith H.R.E.s (Humans Ready to Eat).

Or the Wraith could send a cute worshiper to a bar where she picks up a guy and takes him into a motel room, where the guy is drugged and later he wakes up, in a tub full off ice, either missing a kidney or 50 years of his life.

Amalthea
July 26th, 2008, 04:28 PM
I thought this wraith was pretty good. I think he was playing it a little more desperate than we have seen other wraith in the past. I think this guy really liked being worshiped, as seen when he told Tyre he could still be saved, and that was clouding his behaviour. I think he really thought he was a god.

In any case, had he survived, I wonder about his hand being cut off. Is there a feeder on both hands? And if not, what would he have done? I mean, this can't be the first time in wraith society that it's happened. They could have used it as corporal punishment back in the day.

kymeric
July 26th, 2008, 06:34 PM
He was creepy! Kinda slithery and viscious vs todds scheaming charm or michaels crazy lonelyness or a queens arrogance or that big wraiths aggression.

knowsfords
July 26th, 2008, 06:38 PM
"You know what would be totally creepy and unexpected is if you knelt"

A Wraith Named Bob
July 26th, 2008, 08:38 PM
He seemed kinda snake-like... hsssss

GoSpikey
July 27th, 2008, 05:49 AM
Who picks the names for these Wraith, other than the ones Sheppard makes up.

The name Rhys was picked by das herself, I believe, in the Wraith Defenders' Thread.

We and we alone have that privilege, as Wraith lovers. Muahahaha! :P

dasNdanger
July 28th, 2008, 06:26 AM
The name Rhys was picked by das herself, I believe, in the Wraith Defenders' Thread.

We and we alone have that privilege, as Wraith lovers. Muahahaha! :P

Nope - name not picked by me. Not sure who came up with Rhys. If it had been up to me, I would have named him Hector. :D

das

GoSpikey
July 28th, 2008, 08:40 AM
:lol:

dasNdanger
July 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM

Spikey - there is a story behind 'Hector'. Back when they made the first Pirates of the Caribbean film, Johnny Depp had joked about naming Captain Barbossa 'Hector' - saying it was Barbossa's biggest fear, that people would learn about his first name. Eventually they do give Barbossa the name 'Hector' in the third film, but I knew about the name waaaay back in 2003 when the first film came out, so...among my friends...'Hector' is sort of a joke name.

So, anyway...when Rhys says something like, "Sorry to disappoint", it reminded me of Captain Barbossa and a line spoken by him in the first movie. Not sure exactly what Rhys says, or what Barbossa says, but there was just something that reminded me of dear ol' Capt. 'Hector', so now I wish we had named Rhys that.

Oh well...there's always next time... ;)

das

Earthgate Ricky
July 28th, 2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/fashion/graphics/2008/07/28/efask200.jpg

Wraith clothes will be a new 2008 style for :wraithqueen10:? :eek:

GoSpikey
July 28th, 2008, 02:22 PM
*Watches Todd take Teyla to introduce that to the other Queens...*

GET OUT! :eek:

perkin127
August 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM

das

you'vr hit the nail on the head as to why this wraith wasnt so scary for me, he was slightly more humanised

Tyre: when will i recieve my reward
Wraith:reward?
Tyre: i bought him here as we agreed....
Wraith: huh? did i?
Tyre: you promised
Wraith: i'm afraid im going to have to dissapoint

to me that could have been Koyla or some human saying that, and his voice sounds human, maybe its been hanging around them too long.

As for why they have worshipers, i think they are basically the nest line of defense, more intelligent than the drones but still not likely to betray their master, = jaffa, if u think about it the jaffa need the goul'd to live and vise versa, plus the goul'd have their little human pets. i think the wraith are prob as vain as the gou'ld. so i would put it down to vanity and convenience, i mean if you can have slaves and your an evil dictator/villan why not

dasNdanger
August 4th, 2008, 10:38 PM
you'vr hit the nail on the head as to why this wraith wasnt so scary for me, he was slightly more humanised

Tyre: when will i recieve my reward
Wraith:reward?
Tyre: i bought him here as we agreed....
Wraith: huh? did i?
Tyre: you promised
Wraith: i'm afraid im going to have to dissapoint

to me that could have been Koyla or some human saying that, and his voice sounds human, maybe its been hanging around them too long.

It's what I liked about him. He was more familiar...more on 'our' level. This didn't scare me, but it DID give me chills.

Think of it this way...

If a stranger on the street - with wild eyes and wild hair and a snarl and a growl - jumped out in front of you, you'd freak right out!! Scary! But what if some stranger came up to you casually, started chatting, put you at 'ease' - became your friend - THEN whispered that he was going to 'turn you'? That wouldn't scare you, but it would be as creepy as hell! That's how this Wraith affected me. He wasn't scary in a 'boo!' kinda way...but he was slithery and creepy like a guy who pretends to be your friend, then steals your identity and takes a trip to Hawaii with your credit cards, AND your girlfriend.

As for why they have worshipers, i think they are basically the nest line of defense, more intelligent than the drones but still not likely to betray their master, = jaffa, if u think about it the jaffa need the goul'd to live and vise versa, plus the goul'd have their little human pets. i think the wraith are prob as vain as the gou'ld. so i would put it down to vanity and convenience, i mean if you can have slaves and your an evil dictator/villan why not

That's an okay idea, but it's too SG1. That's about the main thing that bugs me with SGA, they use too many formulas from the first show.

The Wraith are a unique species, created just for this show. Anything is possible. Instead of using the same old 'I need worshippers because I'm so great' formula, show that they need worshippers for some other reason. Insecurity, perhaps. Affirmation. Attention. Why do people need pets? They fill a void, make us feel 'wanted'. Since the Wraith are brutal to one another, it would make sense that they would seek out attention from another source. It wouldn't make it right, but it would certainly add depth to their characters.

Personally, I think the creators are afraid to add too much depth to the Wraith because, if they did, then it would be harder to kill them. As long as they are shallow, power-mad characters, it's much easier to justify killing them.

I hope that changes...

das