PDA

View Full Version : SyFriday: Should Stargate Take A Bow?

prion
July 25th, 2008, 08:13 PM
July 25 2008

http://syfyportal.com/news425250.html

excerpt:

One feature film, two television series, two straight-to-DVD movies (possibly a third) and a cartoon show … is this too much Stargate?
While ratings received from the recent season premiere of “Stargate: Atlantis” may suggest otherwise, the television market is becoming over saturated with the Stargate brand. As MGM’s second biggest franchise (bested only by the legendary 007), it’s not hard to imagine why this may be the case. The franchise is a lucrative goldmine and holds the potential for more.

Then again, the same was probably being said about Star Trek about ten years ago as “Voyager” -- and later “Enterprise” -- took up the Roddenberry mantle, sending the franchise out with a whimper. Now, Trek find itself in the position of relying on J.J. Abrams to re-invent and resurrect the franchise. And if anyone is capable of doing it, Abrams is the very man.

Now Stargate finds itself heading in the same direction. Creatively, Stargate is in a state of decline and disrepair with “Stargate: Atlantis” -- which is essentially carrying the torch -- relying more and more heavily on recycled “SG-1” stories or dumbed-down adventures with Wraith hybrids and clones. And in its first two episodes, the fifth season of the series has done very little to prove otherwise.

REST AT LINK ABOVE

jenks
July 25th, 2008, 08:49 PM
SyFy Portal always seem to have something bad to say about the Stargate franchise, it's always on its way out in their eyes. Could it be because Stargate is the only realistic challenger for Star Trek's scifi TV franchise crown? Hmmm...

TheLastSunset
July 25th, 2008, 09:37 PM
What? Everything in the Stargate franchise keeps getting better and better..

The TARDIS
July 26th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Stargate is currently one of two major American Sci Fi shows still running, and assuming a Season 6 pickup, following BSG's finale next spring, it'll be the lone standard barer. Doctor Who doesn't have a large or influential fan base over here in North America, meaning that Stargate is really the only major Sci Fi franchise still out there which has any pull. And I think that is making people who don't like Stargate, or have never liked Stargate, rather uncomfortable.

For me, it just reinforces Stargate's strength. Here's to season 7, and beyond :D

morjana
July 26th, 2008, 12:30 AM
SyFy Portal always seem to have something bad to say about the Stargate franchise, it's always on its way out in their eyes. Could it be because Stargate is the only realistic challenger for scifi TV franchise crown? Hmmm...

SyFy Portal has a bad case of sour grapes.

They need some naquada enhanced Pepto Bismol I think.

SGFerrit
July 26th, 2008, 03:46 AM
The franchise isn't going anywhere, it looks like a third (and possibly a fourth?) SG-1 movie has a go, then we have Universe which MGM is eager to crack on with, at least another season of Atlantis including it's 100th episode, then we have Stargate Worlds, and there's also this 'Project Twilight' which Joe M keeps mentioning, which could be pretty important.

Yep, there's a lot of Stargate. But that is only because there is the demand for it. People obviously want to see it, otherwise MGM wouldn't be making it. I've read the articles that guy does about Stargate, compared to some of the other people over at SyFy Portal he doesn't seem to like it much. Maybe this is sour grapes because it is starting to grow and become a larger franchise?

Ugly Pig
July 26th, 2008, 05:26 AM
Heh... This one is easily enough answered:

NO, Stargate should not take a bow. Give me a freakin' break. :D

Briangate78
July 26th, 2008, 08:54 AM
I really hate the SyFy portal editor.

Briangate78
July 26th, 2008, 09:01 AM
SyFy Portal has a bad case of sour grapes.

They some naquada enhanced Pepto Bismol I think.

If it is not BSG then it is inferior. ;)

prion
July 26th, 2008, 09:07 AM
I realize some fans hate SyFyPortal (but it doesn't stop them from reading the site), but SyFy does have some points. SG *could* be better. Last night's episode, despite avoiding spoilers, was very predictable. They need some new writing staff, fresh blood, whatever, with new ideas.

I still like watching SGA, but I think if I had to pick the better written/executed show on Friday nights, that honor would fall to DOCTOR WHO, hands down.

Briangate78
July 26th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I realize some fans hate SyFyPortal (but it doesn't stop them from reading the site), but SyFy does have some points. SG *could* be better. Last night's episode, despite avoiding spoilers, was very predictable. They need some new writing staff, fresh blood, whatever, with new ideas.

I still like watching SGA, but I think if I had to pick the better written/executed show on Friday nights, that honor would fall to DOCTOR WHO, hands down.

I think next week's ep is going to be very interesting. It looks like a rollercoaster ride. I love alternate reality eps.

Ladyinred
July 26th, 2008, 09:13 AM
Actually I think he's right a little bit. I'm not interested in "Atlantis" any more after they got rid of Dr. Weir, and Ba'al/Qetesh scenes are the only ones really worth watching in "Continuum", the rest is entirely boring and not interesting. Maybe with the exception of the scene with Landry. Some writers definitely should take a bow and MGM should hire the new writers with entirely FRESH minds.

Briangate78
July 26th, 2008, 09:14 AM
Actually I think he's right a little bit. I'm not interested in "Atlantis" any more after they got rid of Dr. Weir, and Ba'al/Qetesh scenes are the only ones really worth watching in "Continuum", the rest is entirely boring and not interesting. Maybe with the exception of the scene with Landry. Some writers definitely should take a bow and MGM should hire the new writers with entirely FRESH minds.

That's what SGU will be for, new writing teams.

jenks
July 26th, 2008, 09:17 AM
^^ Doubtful unless it's in production alongside Atlantis.

Ladyinred
July 26th, 2008, 11:05 AM

Will Vala or Qetesh be in this one? If not - I'm not interested at all, sorry.

Dave C
July 26th, 2008, 01:21 PM
the franchise doesn't need to take a bow just a short break (by that i mean 18 months or so)

the biggest problem is fatigue, the writing in S4,5,6,7 of SG-1 was fantastic someof thebest i have seen on tv, these guys who are still there didn't become bad writers overnight they are just tired so maybe for universe have Brad, Rob and a new team of young guys and girls the franchise would benefit from a couple of female writers

Naonak
July 26th, 2008, 02:48 PM
To be fair, that'd probably be the case when comparing most shows to Doctor Who... :p

Personally, I think they should hold off Universe until a year or two after Atlantis has finished, whenever that might be. (Or, yeah, wait ten years like the guy said, and give the franchise to me :p;))

Briangate78
July 26th, 2008, 04:04 PM
I think Syfy portal should take a bow. ;)

Jumper_One
July 26th, 2008, 04:44 PM
it's an interesting article and I understand the...let's call it concern but I mostly disagree.

While ratings received from the recent season premiere of “Stargate: Atlantis” may suggest otherwise [...]
yes they do suggest otherwise! :D

LTCOLHOMER
July 26th, 2008, 04:55 PM
I think Syfy portal should take a bow. ;)

amen

Briangate78
July 26th, 2008, 05:03 PM
it's an interesting article and I understand the...let's call it concern but I mostly disagree.

yes they do suggest otherwise! :D

Because they know the SGA season 5 premiere pulled in the same amount of viewers as BSG's mid-season finale. Remember that V.P.H. we talked about? :p

prion
July 26th, 2008, 05:16 PM

And SGA gets stuck with stale writing? ;)

I hope they don't launch Universe until after SGA bows out, otherwise we'll probably have what we had with SG1 and SGA - two staff/crew working two shows and the shows suffering for it.

I can see the concern for the franchise; look at what happened with Trek. While the core fans will probably love the show no matter what, the shows do have to grow an audience in order for advertisers to keep signing on. No money, no show.

Jumper_One
July 26th, 2008, 05:26 PM
Because they know the SGA season 5 premiere pulled in the same amount of viewers as BSG's mid-season finale. Remember that V.P.H. we talked about? :p

yup I remember ;) also this is a SyFy article and they're not exactly enthusiastic about s5 of Atlantis. BSG on the other hand...

Ugly Pig
July 26th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Will Vala or Qetesh be in this one? If not - I'm not interested at all, sorry.

Quelle surprise.

jenks
July 27th, 2008, 06:30 AM
And SGA gets stuck with stale writing? ;)

I hope they don't launch Universe until after SGA bows out, otherwise we'll probably have what we had with SG1 and SGA - two staff/crew working two shows and the shows suffering for it.

I can see the concern for the franchise; look at what happened with Trek. While the core fans will probably love the show no matter what, the shows do have to grow an audience in order for advertisers to keep signing on. No money, no show.

According to Mallozzi, if they run concurrently then they'll definitely have to hire new writers.

prion
July 27th, 2008, 10:57 AM
According to Mallozzi, if they run concurrently then they'll definitely have to hire new writers.

Hope they'll hire them on SGA then so we get some new plots ;)

MediaSavant
July 27th, 2008, 04:04 PM
What SyFy Portal doesn't realize is that there is an audience for repetitive storytelling and the Stargate franchise has a knack for appealling to that audience.

Some people actually like seeing the same kinds of stories over and over and over again.

Briangate78
July 27th, 2008, 04:18 PM
What SyFy Portal doesn't realize is that there is an audience for repetitive storytelling and the Stargate franchise has a knack for appealling to that audience.

Some people actually like seeing the same kinds of stories over and over and over again.

I love to see an SG-1 plot redeveloped with the Atlantis characters. It goes to show that some eps can be character driven rather than plot driven. The characters can make it their own. Sometimes the plot or concepts are similar but then they become totally different. A good example, I almost laughed out loud when people said "Doppleganger" was a rehash of "Cold Lazarus".

BTW, this upcoming week's SGA looks a little Farscape-esce. You might want to check it out. :)

prion
July 27th, 2008, 04:56 PM

BWahahahah! Snort! Alas, it's true. To a degree, most of us do like some repetition - we like the science fiction aspect of the show, the characters in jeopardy, action, drama, etc., so in that sense, yes. But there's nothing worse than going, oh, saw that plot LAST season, wait, I know what's coming next, wow, didn't see that one coming (said with heavy sarcasm).

I'm afraid I'm not of the 'rah-rah SG is wunderful every single second' crowd. If an episode disappoints, I have no problem saying so. If my laundry detergent is suddenly changed, I'll write and gripe to the manufacturer. After all, SGA is nothing more than product, really, although more enjoyable than say, kitchen sink cleanser ;)

I honestly do expect more of the writers.

MediaSavant
July 28th, 2008, 07:38 AM
To add to what I said, many TV shows have lasted a long time for the very reason that they don't stray too far from an established formula and their viewers get very upset if they do.

Briangate78
July 28th, 2008, 07:55 AM
To add to what I said, many TV shows have lasted a long time for the very reason that they don't stray too far from an established formula and their viewers get very upset if they do.

I would love to see another Farscape series, how about you?

Ladyinred
July 28th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Season 9 of SG-1 is the perfect example of it... the majority of "old timers" hated the new faces, the new leader, the new story... :mckay:

Pitry
July 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM
Season 9 of SG-1 is the perfect example of it... the majority of "old timers" hated the new faces, the new leader, the new story... :mckay:

No, several prominent posters on forums hated season 9.
Whether or not the "majority of old timers" did is open to debate because you simply don't have that kind of information. Most "old timers" have never even entered Gateworld.

Ugly Pig
July 28th, 2008, 12:40 PM
the majority of "old timers" hated the new faces, the new leader, the new story... :mckay:

The majority? Really? Sure it's not just a loudly whining minority, as is often the case?

Regardless, I personally consider myself an "old timer" SG-1 fan, and I actually loved seasons 9 and 10. IMO season 9 especially was one of the series' best years. Most seasons had their share of clunkers, but I felt that season 9 managed to keep a consistent high standard. Season ten was good as well, but it did have a few episodes here and there that weren't quite the home runs the rest were.

g.o.d
July 28th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Hope they'll hire them on SGA then so we get some new plots ;)

I doubt they'll hire new writers for SGA

prion
July 28th, 2008, 02:07 PM

Sorta like when they killed Daniel, Janet, Ford (well, probably is dead), WEir (ditto), Becket.... let's hope they DON'T add to that roster in season 5!

morjana
July 28th, 2008, 11:28 PM
I really hate the SyFy portal editor.

Have you seen SyFy Portal's Forum descriptor for Stargate: Atlantis and Stargate: Universe?

http://www.syfyportal.com/community/index.php#2

Stargate: Atlantis, Stargate: Universe
Don't forget to close the (star)gate on the way out

That's sort of a low blow isn't it?

jelgate
July 28th, 2008, 11:33 PM
I've come to a perfect solution. SyFy should take a bow.

DanJack
July 29th, 2008, 08:32 PM
I've come to a perfect solution. SyFy should take a bow.

That might just be the answer! I think it's time that the next J.J. Abrahams reinvents SyFyPortal and hire new writers who can reimagine it for a whole new generation. ;)

Seriously, I haven't really been fond of the site, as they pretty much always fall into the same pattern of BSG worship and Stargate hate. I kind of get tired of the way they always piss (wait, Darren can I say that?) all over Stargate. They even had the audacity to try to shame the good name of my imaginary friend Jonas Quinn (poor guy can't get a break).

As for old time fans not liking S9 & S10, I must admit I don't fall into that category. I have watched Stargate since the film and season 1 of SG-1, and I think that the last two seasons are fantastic!

MediaSavant
July 30th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Because they know the SGA season 5 premiere pulled in the same amount of viewers as BSG's mid-season finale.

No it didn't. BSG's finale beat SGA's premiere by about 100,000 viewers in total and 300,000 viewers 18-49. The latter differential is because BSG's viewers are younger than SGA's.

Briangate78
July 30th, 2008, 11:36 AM
No it didn't. BSG's finale beat SGA's premiere by about 100,000 viewers in total and 300,000 viewers 18-49. The latter differential is because BSG's viewers are younger than SGA's.

I was referring to Live+SD. They both pulled in 1.8 Million viewers according to SCI FI.

prion
August 1st, 2008, 06:49 PM
For all the kvetching about Entertainment Weekly,, they DO post some good Stargate stuff ;)

EXCLUSIVE shot of Richard Dean Anderson & Amanda Tapping
http://www.ew.com/ew/gallery/0,,20215160_6,00.html

Col. Tomorian
August 2nd, 2008, 08:12 AM
July 25 2008

http://syfyportal.com/news425250.html

excerpt:

One feature film, two television series, two straight-to-DVD movies (possibly a third) and a cartoon show … is this too much Stargate?
While ratings received from the recent season premiere of “Stargate: Atlantis” may suggest otherwise, the television market is becoming over saturated with the Stargate brand. As MGM’s second biggest franchise (bested only by the legendary 007), it’s not hard to imagine why this may be the case. The franchise is a lucrative goldmine and holds the potential for more.

Then again, the same was probably being said about Star Trek about ten years ago as “Voyager” -- and later “Enterprise” -- took up the Roddenberry mantle, sending the franchise out with a whimper. Now, Trek find itself in the position of relying on J.J. Abrams to re-invent and resurrect the franchise. And if anyone is capable of doing it, Abrams is the very man.

Now Stargate finds itself heading in the same direction. Creatively, Stargate is in a state of decline and disrepair with “Stargate: Atlantis” -- which is essentially carrying the torch -- relying more and more heavily on recycled “SG-1” stories or dumbed-down adventures with Wraith hybrids and clones. And in its first two episodes, the fifth season of the series has done very little to prove otherwise.

REST AT LINK ABOVE "Star Trek" and "Star Wars" currently have this problem. Sometimes you need five to ten years away from something, so you can apprechiate the world that was started. At this point in "Stargate" franchise history, the writters are just rewritting old scripts. "Stargate: Altantis" is not immune to such repetitive storylines. Sorry if I'm repeating your post in this post, but I do agree with "Stargate" needing some time off. It is good to see that the "Stargate" fans are aware that a hiatus is good for the health and entertainment quality of this form of science-fiction. :)

It would be nice to see a theatrical "Stargate" movie. As long as they stop rewritting old scripts, I think it would be pretty cool to see "Stargate" back on the big screen.