PDA

View Full Version : Ronon's Hair

IrishPisano
July 25th, 2008, 08:02 PM
i thought Ronon was supposed to lose his dreads in this ep... wtf?

Sweetsong
July 25th, 2008, 08:05 PM

As far as I know he's going to keep them for the rest of the season? Something about Sci-fi making a decision that he keep them, thus the wig, If it were up to the show itself they would lose the locks.

Ezi_May
July 25th, 2008, 08:06 PM
I thought Jason decided that Ronon needed the dreads so they decided not to cut them off in the episode.

starfox
July 25th, 2008, 08:06 PM
Jason Momoa cut his hair for health reasons, but the geniuses at Sci-Fi decided that Ronon needed the dreads, so they made a $10,000 wig out of the locks he cut off. And, as you can see from this episode, it looks like utter crap.

jenks
July 25th, 2008, 08:09 PM
It's not that bad, I doubt anyone who hadn't heard the news would have even noticed.

The6thRace
July 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM
I thought it looked off but to be honest I didn't look at it too much. As a casual fan not really paying attention, it didn't bother me. I guess when I watch it again I'll notice it now that its been mentioned.

padr49904
July 25th, 2008, 08:11 PM
The only way you know that they are fake is because you know that he cut them off. It slipped my mind during this episode and I did not think they looked fake at all.

Reiko
July 25th, 2008, 08:16 PM
And, as you can see from this episode, it looks like utter crap.

» *snickers* How long has he had the wig? Is this his first wig episode? Because I'm gonna have to be prepared for this, making some interesting Really Important News in hair and wardrobe :P

jenks
July 25th, 2008, 08:27 PM
» *snickers* How long has he had the wig? Is this his first wig episode? Because I'm gonna have to be prepared for this, making some interesting Really Important News in hair and wardrobe :P

No, it's the third.

tombombadil
July 25th, 2008, 08:32 PM
i thought his hair as different....

Cautious Explorer
July 25th, 2008, 08:35 PM
It didn't look right. I kept thinking I was watching a pirate movie, or maybe one of the three musketeers. Something was definately wrong. :(

miniglik
July 25th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Jason Momoa cut his hair for health reasons, but the geniuses at Sci-Fi decided that Ronon needed the dreads, so they made a $10,000 wig out of the locks he cut off. And, as you can see from this episode, it looks like utter crap.

I don't think this is the $10,000 wig yet. It wasn't made until after they took out the Broken Ties haircutting scene, right?

(It isn't his real hair, just not the expensive wig.)

starfox
July 25th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I don't think this is the $10,000 wig yet. It wasn't made until after they took out the Broken Ties haircutting scene, right?

(It isn't his real hair, just not the expensive wig.)

You may be right. That would explain why this wig only fit the back of his head; the un-dreaded front of his hair was definitely sticking out.

tombombadil
July 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
i gotta say, not liking the wig.........

BubblingOverWithIdeas
July 25th, 2008, 09:15 PM

That was originally the plan, but it was aborted. There's a relevant news article on the main page somewhere, I think.

Rac80
July 25th, 2008, 09:26 PM
I just say ditch the wig and let him have short hair. Haven't even liked the idea of the wig and the one in these 3 eps looks terrible!

wheresmyfroggy
July 25th, 2008, 09:39 PM
I don't remember where, possibly here on GW, but I read somewhere that this was the sequence of TEH HAIR!

-First two eps = sewed on dreads of Jason's that got cut off (got too painful)
-Broken Ties = switched to the wig that Jason's double uses (dread cutting scene then got cut so they made....)
-Rest of season = $10,000 dollar wig

If anyone finds the source on this, go ahead and post. I'm not gonna go searching, this is just what I remember.

Falcon 304
July 25th, 2008, 10:48 PM
The only way you know that they are fake is because you know that he cut them off. It slipped my mind during this episode and I did not think they looked fake at all.

Ditto

Falcon 304
July 25th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I don't remember where, possibly here on GW, but I read somewhere that this was the sequence of TEH HAIR!

-First two eps = sewed on dreads of Jason's that got cut off (got too painful)
-Broken Ties = switched to the wig that Jason's double uses (dread cutting scene then got cut so they made....)
-Rest of season = $10,000 dollar wig

If anyone finds the source on this, go ahead and post. I'm not gonna go searching, this is just what I remember.

I think it was from the last interview GW had with Jason.

knowsfords
July 26th, 2008, 01:32 AM
I noticed it in the seed that the dreads weren't sitting right... afaik Jason cut them off with consultation with the producers due to the strain on his neck, they sat down and decided that Ronan was going to lose them onscreen and got Jason to save them and they were temporarily sewn into his hair as extensions for the first two episodes which was both time consuming and painful on Jason's behalf.

Then sci fi went all rabid at the thought of Ronan losing his dreads, a feature of the character for their XTREME version of stargate that they thought would be a ratings killer. So naturally they got their way, but as its a big inconvenience for the guy who actually plays the character tptb decided on the comprimise of using the ratty dreads that had been cut off... saved and sewn on then taken out again two or three times already and used it to make a wig.

Imo, everyone should just get used to the dreads looking off... its not tptb's decision or Jason's decision for them to stay, its the ****ty network that stamps its feet all the time it doesn't get its own way.

x303
July 26th, 2008, 05:47 AM
for the 1st 2 episodes its a semi wig. he cut his hair and left the front 8 dreds and then a wig was pulled up to it.

it was this episode where he fully cut his hair and it was te master wig that cost $10,000.

he and the producers wanted ronan to have a shaved head this episode forward but its sci fi that didn't want a short haired Ronan so thats why he has the wig now. which is ironic coz when he 1st started they said they dont want him to have a dreds.

he cut the dreds for health reasons coz it was hurting his neck. the dreds weighed 5 pounds. if the wig starts to prove dangerous for his necka nd he gets neck pain he'll stop wearin the wig.

heres the link to the interview with Momao

http://www.gateworld.net/interviews/blood_and_tears.shtml

theheartsofatlantis
July 26th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I didnt notice, I didnt even know he was going to cut them off. He looks fine.

It's not that bad, I doubt anyone who hadn't heard the news would have even noticed.

Earthgate Ricky
July 26th, 2008, 07:29 AM

Jason can give SciFi an threat: his dreadlocks go or Jason goes.

They better lost his locks and keep him.

jenks
July 26th, 2008, 07:30 AM

They better lost his locks and keep him.

Except he signed a contract.

Naonak
July 26th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Uh... Why?

Earthgate Ricky
July 26th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Uh... Why?
Jason said that his 5 lbs dreadlocks give him headaches and his neck aches.

Try grabbing 5 lb bag and tie it to your head and tell me how you feel when you walk around with it.

starfox
July 26th, 2008, 09:16 AM
Jason said that his 5 lbs dreadlocks give him headaches and his neck aches.

Try grabbing 5 lb bag and tie it to your head and tell me how you feel when you walk around with it.

Exactly. While I don't think Jason should give the network an ultimatum - those never turn out well, and just make people look childish - the threat of lawyers wouldn't be unreasonable. He had a valid, health-related reason for making the change, and even though he can at least take the wig off at the end of a shoot, it's still really heavy, and therefore still causing neck strain.

He was in a situation that could have caused him injury. He remedied it. The network then told him to put himself back into that situation. If the network was aware of the possibility for injury and made him wear the wig anyway, he's got the makings for a civil suit if he gets hurt. Which would be horrible and probably cause Skiffy to pitch a fit and cancel the show (were Jason still on it), but it would be their own fault.

A Wraith Named Bob
July 26th, 2008, 11:08 AM
I don't think it would be too bad if they let him wear short hair on the show. As long as he still has that caveman look. And even if he didn't, it would make some sense because he's sort of grown out of his barbarian ways, to an extent.

Skydiver
July 26th, 2008, 11:10 AM
the curls on the wig are too big, they look like shirley temple sausage curls.

I'm glad jason has his hair the way he wants it,but to me, that wig looks bad. almost comedically bad

Cautious Explorer
July 26th, 2008, 11:17 AM
When I first heard of Jason wanting to cut his hair, I was afraid it would detract in some way from his fierce impression (like a lion without it's main). But after seeing photos of Jason with the shorter hair my doubts were gone. He still looked dangerous, in a more sleek, devilish way. Too bad the network couldn't see it.

In the end it's more about the actor's attitude than it is about the hair. Imagine Woolsey in dreds (stop laughing!). It's still not going to make him tough and edgy if Picardo is playing him as the same old Woolsey.

IrishPisano
July 26th, 2008, 11:31 AM
how many hairstyles did Teal'C have..... including facial hair?

exactly

wtf can't they let Ronon change a little too?

honestly, a little change in Ronon, a little more assimilation into the Atlantean norm, would be welcome...

Skydiver
July 26th, 2008, 11:32 AM
yeah, let the dreads go.

or if jason wants to grow them again, let them be shorter, not all the way down his back

Earthgate Ricky
July 26th, 2008, 11:42 AM
yeah, let the dreads go.

or if jason wants to grow them again, let them be shorter, not all the way down his back

that's better to short and light than long dreadlocks

SGalisa
July 26th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I thought it looked off but to be honest I didn't look at it too much. As a casual fan not really paying attention, it didn't bother me. I guess when I watch it again I'll notice it now that its been mentioned.

I didnt notice, I didnt even know he was going to cut them off. He looks fine.

I didn't know about this (either), until now.
Which basically translates that to the average viewer (who doesn't care about dreads), it wasn't that noticeable. ;)

However, I did notice that he had some wavy hair showing near the top, so I just thought he was finally outgrowing his dreads.

Now, if Ronon had braids like Tyr did in Tv's "Andromeda" series, I think it would have been more noticeable to me. Tyr had nice braided dreads. hmmm, wish my hair was that thick sometimes..

..guys with long hair like that make me jealous sometimes.. (j/k) I had a brother-in-law who had longer (and *thicker*) hair locks than mine (which is super thin -- hair shampoos and treatments don't help), and Ooooo! for a pair of scissors -- I could have made a REALLY nice wig from his hair..! :D

I don't think it would be too bad if they let him wear short hair on the show. As long as he still has that caveman look. And even if he didn't, it would make some sense because he's sort of grown out of his barbarian ways, to an extent.

I agree. I'm surprised he hasn't lost those locks a long time ago.. in essence of putting his past behind him, and moving onward forward with something *new*.

x303
July 26th, 2008, 01:40 PM
i think it wud b cool to see a little extreme variety.

he's gone from having mass amounts of hair (coz dred take alot of hair to do) to nothing. i agree to still let him look cavemanish. this was the ideal episode for him to lose them aswell.

Vala_M
July 26th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Yeah, the first 2 episodes had a weave from his real dreadlocks and this week's episode had the wig, a very fake looking wig as well. The wig has too many dreads and is dark brown instead of light brown with very light tips which Ronon's real dreadlocks had. You could tell something was up with them in the last scene when he was fighting to get out of the bed in the isolation room.

Vala,

Amalthea
July 26th, 2008, 04:36 PM
Oh! I got it! Next season they should write it in that Woolsey makes him cut his hair a la George Steinbrenner. All, "No one on my base will have such unruly hair! We have an image to keep, young man." LOL

Cory Holmes
July 26th, 2008, 06:03 PM

Does that make this a wig-asode? :p

Skydiver
July 26th, 2008, 07:41 PM
i seriously doubt we'll get to watch woolsey wig out over ronon's hair ;)

Earthgate Ricky
July 26th, 2008, 08:41 PM
Why not Jason put his dreadlocks on auction for good chairties?

=SGA=Jason_Binn
July 26th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Why not Jason put his dreadlocks on auction for good chairties?

would you seriously buy that????

jelgate
July 26th, 2008, 08:46 PM
I bet someone would. Some fans are weird.:S

Earthgate Ricky
July 26th, 2008, 09:22 PM

Unless someone's addicted to Stargate since release of Stargate movie in 1990's

Mitchell82
July 26th, 2008, 10:30 PM
Ditto

Agreed. It looked darker but that's about it. It looks fine to me IMO.

Mitchell82
July 26th, 2008, 10:31 PM

Someone bought Britney Spears hair shavings for several thousand dollars so.....:mckay:

Amakusa
July 26th, 2008, 11:19 PM
I guess I understand why they wanted to do the head shaving in this episode (probably because having a shaved hair matches Tyre)

Bobcat
July 27th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Hello all, new to boards,

I think they could have a real good character moment and have him cutting his hair off, just a little character progression as he moves on with his life. Like someone already said, its the acting that makes him the fierce warrior guy, not hair.

x303
July 27th, 2008, 03:08 AM

I think they could have a real good character moment and have him cutting his hair off, just a little character progression as he moves on with his life. Like someone already said, its the acting that makes him the fierce warrior guy, not hair.

yeah tru plus this is the hardest thing ronan has been thru personally, coz he wud never of wanted to become a wraith worshipper. it is just like when teal'c got brainwashed by apophis and had to got hru that ritual where the symbiot gets taken out.

this wud definately wud of been the episode to do that. other wise now they're jus gunna have to come up with some else thats intense coz no he'd jus one day wake up and shave his head. (like dr cox in scrubs)

Mitchell82
July 27th, 2008, 09:25 AM

Agreed it easily could have worked but scifi disagreed.:mckay:

Dr Quinn
July 27th, 2008, 09:36 AM
Agreed it easily could have worked but scifi disagreed.:mckay:

SciFi is silly.

:(

Mitchell82
July 27th, 2008, 09:37 AM
SciFi is silly.

:(

That's the nice way to put it.;)

PG15
July 27th, 2008, 11:53 AM

I certainly didn't notice it, and I've heard the news, many times.

GateofDOOM
July 27th, 2008, 01:24 PM
I thought it looked awful in the promotional pictures. Here, it looked less awful because of the dim lighting!

That wig has a life of it's own...:eek:

Skydiver
July 27th, 2008, 01:52 PM
'the wig' can become the fifth team member :)

jelgate
July 27th, 2008, 02:15 PM
'the wig' can become the fifth team member :)Lets call the wig Tyler.

Lythisrose
July 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM
'the wig' can become the fifth team member :)

And The Wig and Teh Hair lived happily ever after....;)

PG15
July 27th, 2008, 02:20 PM
No, Tyler is already the name of the Wraith, apparently.

Let's call it...Wiggum.

Skydiver
July 27th, 2008, 02:21 PM
wiggins?
Curly?
Larry?
Mo?

Skydiver
July 27th, 2008, 02:25 PM
The Dread Wig Ronon?

Killdeer
July 27th, 2008, 02:44 PM
The Dread Wig Ronon?

:lol:

kymeric
July 27th, 2008, 09:47 PM
I couldnt tell, but i dont have alot of experience staring at other dudes dreads....

grime
July 28th, 2008, 11:23 AM
add my name to the list, that terrible fake hair has to go!
let jason be jason for god's sake.
it would be awesome for the show imo.

IrishPisano
July 28th, 2008, 11:36 AM
remember how a lot of fans sent in tissue boxes after Children of the Gods, and the effect it had?

maybe we should mass-send TPTB scissors and hair clippers...

jenks
July 28th, 2008, 12:29 PM
add my name to the list, that terrible fake hair has to go!
let jason be jason for god's sake.
it would be awesome for the show imo.

He's not supposed to be Jason though is he? He's supposed to be Ronon...

IrishPisano
July 28th, 2008, 12:31 PM
well... there's season 5 left... and then probably only season 6... so i guess we can all suck it up for season 5, then hope that they get rid of the wig for 6... then we can all move on to SGU starring Lt. Col. Lorne

GateofDOOM
July 28th, 2008, 03:01 PM
The Dread Wig Ronon?

Put my vote down on this one! :D

Skydiver
July 28th, 2008, 06:45 PM
what should we name it? give me some suggestions and we'll start a poll

Skydiver
July 28th, 2008, 06:47 PM
right now i have

Dread Wig Ronon
Teh Wig
Tyler
Wiggum
Curly
Larry
Mo
Medusa
Hairy Squid

any more? quote and add on

oh, and let's add, please don't be mean or insulting. The emphasis is on fun

A Wraith Named Bob
July 28th, 2008, 06:47 PM
The Hairy Squid?

GateofDOOM
July 31st, 2008, 05:13 PM
Whooooo! The DWR is winning!

:D

Oka
July 31st, 2008, 05:57 PM
Ronon with a buzz cut? It could work.

Nobody0x00
July 31st, 2008, 07:17 PM
His hair was epically awesome. Shame.

Skydiver
July 31st, 2008, 07:31 PM
i have no issue at all with jason wanting to cut it. all that hair was giving him a headache. 5 pounds of hair is a LOT to carry around all day

scifi just needed to let him keep his short is all.

Mitchell82
August 1st, 2008, 11:41 AM
I vote Dread Wig Ronon.

PG15
August 1st, 2008, 11:50 AM
Alright, I'll admit it. I don't get how Dread Wig Ronon is funny.

Please advice.

grime
August 1st, 2008, 12:07 PM
He's not supposed to be Jason though is he? He's supposed to be Ronon...

that's a good point!

so just let ronon be jason?? :ronan:

Mitchell82
August 1st, 2008, 12:13 PM
Alright, I'll admit it. I don't get how Dread Wig Ronon is funny.

Please advice.

Truthfully I don't either I just like it better than the other choices.

Skydiver
August 1st, 2008, 01:54 PM
the princess bride

'the dread pirate roberts'

Who was a complete fake. Wesley was about the 4th 'dread pirate roberts'....the faces changed but the names stayed the same. It's a reputation thing

it's also apun...dread locks, dread wig

PG15
August 1st, 2008, 02:03 PM
Ahhhh...very clever. :D

I never saw/read The Princess Bride, so that's probably it.

GateofDOOM
August 1st, 2008, 10:44 PM
It also accurately portrays the emotion I feel when I see the wig....dread.
I dread the awfulness?
:P

Tis' a many layered name.

Also, I really like pirates!

:D

Lahela
August 2nd, 2008, 12:52 AM
Ahhhh...very clever. :D

I never saw/read The Princess Bride, so that's probably it.

:eek: PG... I'm just... stunned :eek:

PG15
August 2nd, 2008, 01:19 AM
I'm full of surprises. ;)

Vis Uban
August 16th, 2008, 06:09 PM
Will they just let the poor guy show his real hair instead of making him wear a wig that looks like it was run over by an 18 wheeler, thrown into a lake, and sucked into a boat propeller...

Lenas
August 18th, 2008, 05:18 AM
Will they just let the poor guy show his real hair instead of making him wear a wig that looks like it was run over by an 18 wheeler, thrown into a lake, and sucked into a boat propeller...

:valaanime06::valaanime06:

I thunk/whump Ronon, but agree, the wig is just awful, and I didn't think anything could look awful on Jason:confused:

Lady Vaako
August 18th, 2008, 09:15 AM
I wasn't a member of the GW forums when it happened but was there ever such a huge fuss over Teal'c growing some hair? Honestly, I don't think that Ronon's wig is as awful as it's made out to be but I still think that TPTB shouldn't have forced Jason to wear it. Even without the long hair, Ronon would still be Ronon, just like Teal'c was still Teal'c with the hair, you know? Hopefully they'll come to their senses at some point... :sheppardanime31:

amarhys
August 20th, 2008, 09:51 AM
His wig is cataclysmic, disastrous! It’s a octopus. SCI-FI does a big mistake! They are totally blind. The cure is worse than the disease. Let Jason be Ronon as he wants.

nx01a
August 31st, 2008, 10:45 AM
Honestly, I didn't notice the difference between the old scraggy hair and the still old albeit sown on scraggy hair. :P

YutheGreat
August 31st, 2008, 10:43 PM
So what if Ronnon looses the locks. I don't recall an issue when Teal'c grew hair I wasn't as active back. For a while maybe we go Ronnon whats with the hair and then we'll get use to the idea and say so what?

Pic
September 2nd, 2008, 06:26 AM
Taking a look back at s2, Jason's dreds were awesome.
http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/nn229/Pic-CollSwan/normal_206_trinity_06.jpg
The wig looks horrible. It's messy and too long. And is what is all that curly junk around his forehead?
Don't get me wrong, he's still hot. But dude, if you lost the dreds, just lose the dreds.