PDA

View Full Version : Did anybody notice

Colonel_Ez
July 25th, 2008, 05:41 AM
So, listening to the 2nd Gateworld podcast yesterday they encouraged people to check out the forums - i'd been meaning to do it for a while but meh... i mean to do alot of things

Anyway, decided to give it a go and while watching the Seed (also yesterday, been on holiday for a week) i noticed something i wanted to see if anybody else had spotted

When Zelenka was showing Woolsey how far the entity had grown outside of the Iso-Room, the Atlantis computer made a Star Trek Computer sound

Spoiler tagged incase people havent seen yet

Anyway, go give it a watch again - the sound is identical, not just similar

EternalAlteran
July 25th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I didn't noticed that, but this stuff happens a lot in stargate, so no shock.

Colonel_Ez
July 25th, 2008, 03:14 PM

Hmm, i've not noticed any direct crossovers of sound clips like that before - a couple of visial things in BSG and DS9 but not noticed it in SG myself

PG15
July 25th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Yeah, I heard that. Sort of a fast beep-beep-beep.

I don't know if that's Star Trek though...but it does sound familiar (I'm a Trek fan too). Nice find! And welcome to Gateworld! :D

jelgate
July 25th, 2008, 04:11 PM
Hmm, i've not noticed any direct crossovers of sound clips like that before - a couple of visial things in BSG and DS9 but not noticed it in SG myself

That would be Ronald Moore produced BSG and DS9

Colonel_Ez
July 26th, 2008, 04:55 AM
Yeah, I heard that. Sort of a fast beep-beep-beep.

I don't know if that's Star Trek though...but it does sound familiar (I'm a Trek fan too). Nice find! And welcome to Gateworld! :D

I'm afraid, being the geek that i am i can confirm its a star trek sound effect - its the sound that the starfleet computer plays when opening a visual comm channel (and occasionally a reference file)

Colonel_Ez
July 26th, 2008, 04:57 AM
That would be Ronald Moore produced BSG and DS9

Yes

DS9 had their most secure part of the computer core (i think) in access panel A-51 and 1701 has popped up on panels on Galactica countless times

Also on the numberplate of Kaito Nakamura's car in Heroes, not looked to see who from Trek works on that show, or maybe it was just put in for giggles because the guy was played by George Takei

Mitchell82
July 27th, 2008, 11:19 AM
I'm afraid, being the geek that i am i can confirm its a star trek sound effect - its the sound that the starfleet computer plays when opening a visual comm channel (and occasionally a reference file)

I didn't pick up on it till you guys just pointed it out.

Colonel_Ez
July 27th, 2008, 03:45 PM
I didn't pick up on it till you guys just pointed it out.

Yeah, watched enough Trek to recognise it instantly

MIZA
July 28th, 2008, 02:02 AM

yeah that is true, i mean look at the inside of the ships they might as well be the enterprise, but i guess that works for them
that is how Star Trek inspires them

GoSpikey
July 28th, 2008, 10:17 AM
What do you want it to look like inside then? Pink?

Colonel_Ez
July 28th, 2008, 01:38 PM
What do you want it to look like inside then? Pink?

Only real similarities i see between the enterprise and the ships on SG is the fact that they have a similar bridge layout, but its only slight

perkin127
July 31st, 2008, 01:47 AM
i too didnt notice unyil you pointed it out, maybe it was to make woolsey feel more at home lol

P-90_177
July 31st, 2008, 01:52 AM
Only real similarities i see between the enterprise and the ships on SG is the fact that they have a similar bridge layout, but its only slight

That is something that's always bugged me about Stargate Ships. Couldn't they have come up with something just a little more original for a commander than a central command chair like that?

Colonel_Ez
July 31st, 2008, 05:55 PM
i too didnt notice unyil you pointed it out, maybe it was to make woolsey feel more at home lol

Yeah, cos the Atlantis uniform certainly wasnt making him feel at home - say what you will about the Star Trek uniforms, at least the main cast (After TNG and the skintight uniform) looked comfortable in their uni's

Bob P looks like he borrowed his off a friend, whether thats meant to symbolise that he doesnt quite belong or whether its just taking a while to get his look right i dont know but it just aint working atm

Colonel_Ez
July 31st, 2008, 05:58 PM
That is something that's always bugged me about Stargate Ships. Couldn't they have come up with something just a little more original for a commander than a central command chair like that?

You'd like to think so, but i suppose you could argue that theoretically when designing a spacecraft - the influences of Star Trek would be pretty strong

And TV audiences have become used to seeing somebody in the centre chair, the familiarity of earth ships to us (the viewer) probably helps to make ships of other races seem more alien....

perkin127
August 8th, 2008, 02:29 PM
i like the design of the ships, i mean it makes sense that the captain is in the middle with the other important guys maybe it loos like star trek beacuse star trek had the most plausable design for that type of ship, and maybe the sound effect guy didnt realise it the same sound.