Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sheppard - Does He Save The Day Too Often?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheppard - Does He Save The Day Too Often?

There is a thread like this on "The Seed" episode discussion but i feel this topic warrants a thread on this section of the forum.

My question is does Sheppard save the day too much compared to his teammates. Sheppard is constantly doing the self sacrifice thing in order to save his Teammates/Atlantis/Earth and it is becoming so common that its losing all its appeal.

Just to clarify im talking about the kind of saving the day where Sheppard does something extremely heroic, risks his own life in order to save everyone else not the kind of saves the day where someone comes up with a technological solution to a problem (cause in reality only McKay and Sheppard can so that).

Sheppard - Saves the day all the time almost completely by himself.
    McKay - Saves the day but never in a self sacrificing kind of way.
    Teyla - Rarely saves the day but never in a self sacrificing kind of way.
    Ronon - Has only saved the day in afew episodes.

So does anyone else think Sheppard does the self sacrificing thing too often and it would be nice to see the oter 3 do it ocassionally?

Originally posted by ykickamoocow View Post
    There is a thread like this on "The Seed" episode discussion but i feel this topic warrants a thread on this section of the forum.

My question is does Sheppard save the day too much compared to his teammates. Sheppard is constantly doing the self sacrifice thing in order to save his Teammates/Atlantis/Earth and it is becoming so common that its losing all its appeal.

Just to clarify im talking about the kind of saving the day where Sheppard does something extremely heroic, risks his own life in order to save everyone else not the kind of saves the day where someone comes up with a technological solution to a problem (cause in reality only McKay and Sheppard can so that).

Sheppard - Saves the day all the time almost completely by himself.
    McKay - Saves the day but never in a self sacrificing kind of way.
    Teyla - Rarely saves the day but never in a self sacrificing kind of way.
    Ronon - Has only saved the day in afew episodes.

So does anyone else think Sheppard does the self sacrificing thing too often and it would be nice to see the oter 3 do it ocassionally?
    I much prefer the eps where they all contribute to the saving, but it always seems to be Sheppered who does the sacrificing. maybe thats biased of me i dont know? but i cant remember Ronan or Teyla saving the day they may have contributed but shep in the end seems to push the button, fly the PJ or shoot the bad guy.

i dont think its totaly bad he, is the hero of the show after all but yes id like to see more variety in there.
    sigpic
    banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

it would be cool to see teyla do something. or ronon. but ronon is more like shoot the bad guys till mckay or shepp saves the day

Comment

I tend to agree. in some episodes I get a "all would be lost without sheppard" vibe, but I suppose since he's a colonel/team leader (and dare I say it, thinks himself the leader of atlantis at times), that's to be expected. some variation would be nice.
        Last edited by naamiaiset; 24 July 2008, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I have no problem with the other team members saving the day but I'm not tired of Shep saving the day at all
          What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

I don't get sick of Sheppard saving the day all the time, but it would be nice to see someone else do it every so often, like Zelenka did in Quarintine.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
              I have no problem with the other team members saving the day but I'm not tired of Shep saving the day at all
              I feel the same way. I like Shep saving the day, but I also think McKay does it as often, and that's great IMO, too. I'm happy for others to save the day though as well. Variety is the spice of life
              sigpic

Comment

the problem is, all those geniousses work on a solution, and get one for a terribly complex problem, and who uses it? yea, sheppard. beckett works hard to create a cure. and only sheppard can do it. that sucks. ronon shouldve stunned keller after he destroyed the wall. the creature would be stunned, inject her, tadaa. but no, only sheppard can do that. why didnt they use teyla, connect with the creature, and use her power to surpress it while ronon delivers the cure?

Comment

granted Sheppard does seem to save the day most of the time but generally the all contribute but he just ks's them in a way.

Would be nice to see Dr Lee come in and save the day

Comment

Yes. And it's never creative.

At least with Rodney, he gets to save the day in different ways, sometimes through actual heroics, somethings through creative ways of dealing with technological problems.

John, he just pilots a aircraft or shoots some things. He's supposedly MENSA-material. Would it hurt the writers to let him save the day through intelligence for once?

Comment

Originally posted by hank View Post
                      granted Sheppard does seem to save the day most of the time but generally the all contribute but he just ks's them in a way.

Would be nice to see Dr Lee come in and save the day
                      Is Dr Lee a member of atlantis now? i thought he was on sg1
                      sigpic
                      banner by Pandoras-box

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                        Yes. And it's never creative.

At least with Rodney, he gets to save the day in different ways, sometimes through actual heroics, somethings through creative ways of dealing with technological problems.

John, he just pilots a aircraft or shoots some things. He's supposedly MENSA-material. Would it hurt the writers to let him save the day through intelligence for once?
                        Sheppard has saved the day through intelligence a couple of times that I remember. It was his idea to cloak the city in The Seige III and his idea to use the ZPM to enhance the Daedalus' shields in Echoes.

When I look at all the eps for season 3 and 4 I think there are more times that "saving the day" was a team effort instead of just Sheppard's alone.

sigs by the talented CazzBlade, elephantgirl,CKO, kali1, csom, Luciana, Torri012 and rachel d..thanks so much!

Comment

I usually don't mind. Sheppard's one of my favorite characters. There are a few occasions where it feels forced (including in "The Seed"), but I'm generally fine with it. I'd like to see Teyla get her turn now and again, though.
                          Theoretically spoilerish:
                          Spoiler:
                          Sig courtesy of Pandora.

Comment

Originally posted by chensuu View Post
                            Sheppard has saved the day through intelligence a couple of times that I remember. It was his idea to cloak the city in The Seige III and his idea to use the ZPM to enhance the Daedalus' shields in Echoes.

When I look at all the eps for season 3 and 4 I think there are more times that "saving the day" was a team effort instead of just Sheppard's alone.
                            I meant more as a "I did this with my own hands"-thing instead of just providing ideas that later prove successful.

Like John storming in and solving the problem in a Rodneyesque way by defusing a bomb or figuring out a puzzle instead of just going "I have this idea!" which eventually works.

Comment

IMHO, fans are being way too nitpicky. A thought like that - Sheppard saving the day too often - never even crossed my mind *shrugs* I just think it's natural because a) Joe Flanigan is the lead actor (not my words, Robert C. Cooper's) and b) Sheppard is the military leader of Atlantis. Also, I like him that way - fearless and heroic. I would hate to see him reduced to another "Weir" or "Col. Carter", finding solutions and letting others do it. That would be yawn-worthy.

Comment

Working...
                              X