Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What causes Intolerance of diverse SGA opinions?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What causes Intolerance of diverse SGA opinions?

Rather than continue with the bashing of this side of fandom or that side of fandom, as well as having numerous retaliatory threads popping up. Here is a thread that you may DISCUSS why you feel there is a break down of YOUR tolerance of diverse or just differences of opinions.

Because we already acknowledge this is a touchy subject, no second chances will be given. If any portion of your post is disrespectful to another member or is attacking another member it will be deleted in its entirety along with any post that has responded to it. If it seems that all you can talk about is *other* aspects of fandom and not YOUR own opinions or point the finger at yourself it will be deleted in its entirety along with any post that has responded to it If it seems that we are having to police this thread more then normal the thread will simply disappear and anything created to take its place will also disappear. The reason, because we are giving you yet another chance to have a discussion on this subject (yes we have done this many times before on this subject) and we are getting tired of folks inability to do so.

Thank You
    TameFarrar
    GateWorld Moderator

So why do you feel there is a breakdown in the YOUR ability to accept diverse or just differences of opinions.

ETA: This will be a HEAVILY Moderated Thread
    Last edited by TameFarrar; 24 July 2008, 06:09 AM.
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

I feel that any show with devoted fans will have this kind of split. Because when people enjoy a show (particularly if they're very devoted), they will come to expect to see more of what they enjoy.

However, no show can keep everyone happy, so some people are bound to be extremely disappointed. We can take it one of a few ways:
    1) take our toys and play somewhere else (me me me!)
    2) change their minds and hop along with the new storylines Pollyanna style
    3) become bitter and post about our displeasure in the name of equal speech and informing tptb.

There are of course lots of halfways and middle ground here. Most of us become a little displeased at some point, and either gloss over it, skip a few episodes, or voice mild criticism.

When we get disappointed, the number 1s go away and are never heard from again. The 2s and 3s (and people who aren't displeased enough to be any of the three), however, are left to deal with each other, coming from really divergent points of view. It's really hard to have a reasonable discussion when you don't view entertainment the same way. And lots of people in the middle ground end up taking sides, because one or the other side appeals to/annoys them more.

Like most intolerance, I think it just stems from not "getting" where the other is coming from. As I'm a "take my toys and play somewhere else" type, I don't get extreme optimism or pessimism (although the optimism is less annoying to me, because it's not as disruptive to the general discussion). I never assume that a show's powers-that-be are infallible, so my expectations aren't that high, and I never think they're evil hacks either. It's just entertainment. If it sucks, change the channel.
    My Livejournal
    I watched all of the first four seasons of SGA last May. Here are my newbie impressions.

Comment

Humans in general have a hard time accepting diverse/different opinions about pretty much anything. Religion, politics, nationality, sports teams, TV shows, you name it.

Tolerance tends to be inversely related to the amount of passion felt toward the topic. The more passionate a person is about something, the less tolerant they tend to be regarding different views. This is true for both the people who passionately defend and the people that passionately attack.

Joining a fandom implies a level of passion greater than your average Joe viewer. Subsequently those in fandom tend to show less tolerance toward differing views, even (and especially) when the differing views occur within the fandom itself.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
        Humans in general have a hard time accepting diverse/different opinions about pretty much anything. Religion, politics, nationality, sports teams, TV shows, you name it.
        That problem becomes even worse over the Internet, when there's no reciprocity to the conversation. It's all just words on a screen, so it's easy to let our mouths (well, fingers) go without checking the full extent of what we're saying.
        sigpic
        http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
          Joining a fandom implies a level of passion greater than your average Joe viewer. Subsequently those in fandom tend to show less tolerance toward differing views, even (and especially) when the differing views occur within the fandom itself.
          I always think a show should take it as a compliment if their fans are freaking out, clawing down each other's throats. You're good enough for people to care about!
          My Livejournal
          I watched all of the first four seasons of SGA last May. Here are my newbie impressions.

Comment

Honestly? I think some people are determined to hate the show no matter what due to certain cast changes.

Comment

Originally posted by Cory Holmes View Post
              That problem becomes even worse over the Internet, when there's no reciprocity to the conversation. It's all just words on a screen, so it's easy to let our mouths (well, fingers) go without checking the full extent of what we're saying.
              Exactly. It's far too easy to be nasty to someone who is nothing more than a username on a computer screen. Get a bunch of pros and antis together IRL and I'm sure we'd have a rowdy good time, actually.

Originally posted by miniglik View Post
              I always think a show should take it as a compliment if their fans are freaking out, clawing down each other's throats. You're good enough for people to care about!
              Love and hate are similar because they involve so much passion. The real opposite of the two is apathy. And I'm sure there are plenty of fans who became apathetic to SGA - they just went away and therefore aren't counted in the fandom war.

I think at this point I love the fandom but I'm more apathetic toward the show, if that makes any sense. I really stick around GW for the people and the discussions. And the BSG subforum.

Comment

Because certain people hate negativity. They only want positivity. They view you as a lesser fan if you dare to criticize anything about a show.

Comment

I have to agree with toaster. Pick a topic and their are always two sides. As for the intolerance, its no secret that their are some jerks on the forum. Unfortunatly being a jerk isn't a forum violation. I believe that overall both sides have good people and the hostility is created by the few people who are arrogant enough to believe their opinion is more important. And that something that will never go away. I'm afraid the intolerance will last as long as this forum exists. All we can do is try to minimize. Maybe I'm living in a state of denial but it seems like the intolerance between the two groups has been reduced since last season or maybe its just because S5 is new
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    I believe that overall both sides have good people and the hostility is created by the few people who are arrogant enough to believe their opinion is more important. And that something that will never go away. I'm afraid the intolerance will last as long as this forum exists. All we can do is try to minimize.
                    Well said. While I personally believe the quality of SGA has deteriorated in recent seasons, I hate seeing comments like "this show is crap" or "this show will never be as good as _____" etc. These types of comments are immature, utterly unconstructive and do nothing but incite hostilities between posters.

I am always more than happy to hear out a differing opinion to mine IF it's communicated tactfully and respectfully; most of us are mature adults here, and no one deserves to have someone else's opinion forcefully thrust upon them. I'm sure I wouldn't be too happy if someone continually disses my favourite show to my face without even offering a concrete explanation.

Comment

» For me, it's circumstansial. If someone who disagrees with be comes off as brash or act like they knw everything (especially when the refute my opinion - 'there is no way you can feel that way') or purposely want to get me going - it affects how I may see that certain side.

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                      Because certain people hate negativity. They only want positivity. They view you as a lesser fan if you dare to criticize anything about a show.
                      » TBH, I think a lot of people view us critics as the bottom feeding scum of fandom

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                        Honestly? I think some people are determined to hate the show no matter what due to certain cast changes.
                        Ah, but you see, this is a perfect example of the problem - this doesn't answer the question asked. This is a (rather inaccurate, sweeping and somewhat misleading) explanation of why people don't like Atlantis. Not why people can't accept that others like/ dislike Atlantis, which is the topic at hand.

As for the question, I don't think there's a breakdown. That would suggest before there was tolerance. I've been here for a couple of years, and it's the same story every time the new season starts... there are only periods of silence when the show isn't being transmitted.

As jelgate said, being a jerk isn't a forum rules violation, and as Gateworld is a rather friendly forum - probably the friendliest in terms of moderation etc I've ever seen - thinsg are allowed to go up and up (calm up? ) until it's (almost) too late. I'm not saying it's necessarily a bad thing. Well, obviuosly it's not a good thing, but the realistic alternative is probably nothing better. But it's something that's been a aprt of Gateworld for ages.
                        Pinky, are you thinking what I'm thinking?
                        Yes, I am!
                        sigpic
                        Improved and unfuzzy banner being the result of more of Caldwell's 2IC sick, yet genuis, mind.
                        Help Pitry win a competition! Listen to Kula Shaker's new single
                        Peter Pan R.I.P

Comment

My point is that no one seems to take certain criticisms at face value, though I don't think this is exclusively the fault of the 'pro' given the way they tend to be represented. There are people who contribute nothing but criticism, to the point of making fun of the show at any opportunity, how can anyone take that seriously?

Comment

It all boils down to if a person thinks THEY'RE right and you're wrong. Most fans are live and let live and get along, but all you need are a handful of condescending "you must be blind if you don't see this" type attitude, to make fandom miserable.

It's not just SGA fandom. It's any fandom. It's just people in general. Like someone said, being a jerk isn't a violation of the forum's rules.. sigh.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                              Most fans are live and let live and get along, but all you need are a handful of condescending "you must be blind if you don't see this" type attitude, to make fandom miserable.
                              That's what I was trying to say. Most Pro's and Anti's are usually of that type, but it's when those few who take things just a biiiiiiit too seriously come to the threads that problems start.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Working...
                              X