This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler warnings

There is something I don't understand about how this board works. If someone could please explain it to me with out getting irate I'd appreciate it.

When people give spoiler warnings surrounded by all kinds of red flags, they seem to tell you very little about the episode that actually matters and yet other people complain that even that is too much when most of what is said is small talk with no bearing on what the plot of the episode entails.

Let me give you a fictitious example. This is completely made up, folks, so don't get hyper.... Let's suppose that the season 5 finale is about McCay and Shepherd stumbling on a wraith queen-Gaould Queen-replicator that turns out to be a genetically altered Dr. Weir (Michael's last experiment) on a planet. This wraith Queen who claims to be Michael's wife, also admits to being the queen of the spawn from the Movie "Alien."

She isn't just manipulating DNA like her hubby, she's manipulating Universes-merging parallel universes together to unleash the powers of the cosmos including "the force" from star wars, species 8472 from fluidic space, The Borg from Star Trek's Delta Quadrant, The Shadows and other bad First Ones from Babylon 5. In the process of trying to find some way of destroying the atlantis team before it ever arrived in the andromeda galaxy. ***Yes, they discover that on another timeline, Atlantis was located not in the Pegasus galaxy, but Andromeda,**** she has become the new emperess in the star wars universe, the new Borg Queen in the star Trek Universe, become the new middle man for the shadows and Drakh from Babylon 5, and resurrected the Ori to keep the Q continuum from Star trek, the Vorlons and other good First Ones from Babylon 5, and the Jedi from Star Wars busy while she tries to ascend and become more powerful than any of them can possibly imagine.

The alternate timeline where Atlantis was in the Pegasus galaxy was created when the wraith queen activated a substance in a black hole in a failed attemp to destroy the Atlanteans of the Atlantis-in-Andromeda timeline, but caused a new baby universe to be born in our universe instead when woolsley tries to stop her and is killed in the process. Now it is a race against time to stop a new big bang from destroying the old one. Shepherd and mckay have to team up with the Atlanteans, the 22nd, 23rd & 24th century Crews of the Enterprise, Voyager, & Deep Space Nine, Babylon 5. (Incidently, Trip from "Star Trek Enterprise" Was Michael in a previous life. ***(Rumor has it it that Michael is returning as a nemesis for the Atlanteans in season 6 and becomes leader of the Star Trek Mirror-Universe Atlanteans where he will launch a season long invasion of Pegasus galaxy in our universe) Luke Skywalker, Moon base Alpha, Will Robinson and the crew of the Jupiter 2, Buck Rogers, and Lorne greene as Adama each from respective parallel universes join forces with the aforementioned Babylon 5, Star Wars, Star Trek, and other characters now that the wraith queen has opened up their universes and let them spill over into the stargate Universe.

In order to stop her, they have to go back in time and prevent sg-1 from killing Ra long enough to get his secret of creating a quantum fold that that can disolve baby universes and prevent them from forming, but if they don't do it right, Ra will survive and the Gaould and the bad guys from all the parallel universes will become one with the Borg when they and the replicators assimilate each other, and join forces in the new baby universe that is about to destroy the old one. Will the Pegasus galaxy ever be the same? Holo Doc from Star Trek Voyager manages to use Mr. Woolsley's body to synthesize a nano virus to free Dr. Weir from ber nano technology, unassimilate her, and Rumor has it that she will return to her post as leader of Atlantis in season 6 and that after the space time continuum is repaired, Holo=Doc stays behind in the Pegasus galaxy and becomes the new Doctor for the Atlantis expedition.

Got the story? Yes, I know, it's more creative than hollywood gets, but that's a complaint for another thread....

Now, if I said all that in a post, or even a small portion of it-that would be a spoiler- (Actually, if you guys would like we could do an evolving fan fiction thread where each contributor adds to what was written before-but I digress....)

When I read a spoiler on this site however. I get flags and warnings, and then, not the juicy plot synopsis I was expecting, as in the example above, but instead I get a wordy but vague hint filled with small-talk that tells me nothing-like this:

Season finale for season 5 ****spoiler warning**** episode 520 A Christmas season finale entiled "May all our yesterdays be right," Part 1 of a four part season 6 premiere story arc. **** warning. ***** spolier!"""" Shepherd and McKay discover a devastating secret on an alien planet that could spell disaster for the atlanteans. something about **** parallel universes... I hope this isn't another "stargate characters meet twins from parallel universe espisodes... that's lame...." Torri Higgins and other favorite characters from past series may make an appearance. I hope they bring her back... I was really disgusted with woolsley.... etc.... small talk.... etc... other variations on irrelevant chatter..... etc.....

My point.... Why do people post spoiler alerts, warn people there is a spoiler in the post, and not say very much that is actually relevant to the plot they are supposedly giving away? And... why do people complain that spoilers that give only the vaguest details about the actual plot of an episode are giving away too much?
    Last edited by elrondaragorn; 22 July 2008, 10:51 PM. Reason: mistake

Spoiler:
    This is in the wrong forum.

Comment

For some people even the smallest hint or clue is too much. They wish to remain completely spoiler free. Most people respect this and use spoiler tags.

Comment

People have different levels of spoiler tolerance. So, to make things safe for all, anything that relates to plot points (even minor ones) from future/current/most recent seasons is spoiler-tagged; that way everyone can enjoy - those who are happy to read spoilers can simply click on a button and those who don't want to know anything can read safely without being accidentally spoiled.

From a personal perspective, I've gone from being a complete spoiler-addict to being 99% spoiler-free for Season 5 and I genuinely want to know as little as possible about what happens in an ep before it airs... I want to experience it with no expectations. Even vague plot spoilers are more than I want to know.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
          Spoiler:
          This is in the wrong forum.
          Spoiler:
          thats a funny way of answering
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X