PDA

View Full Version : Caprica TV Promo from SciFi.com

GateMan2000
July 22nd, 2008, 08:08 PM
http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/index.php?category=0&id=57977

Admiral Mappalazarou
July 22nd, 2008, 08:52 PM
Looks very different from BSG. It should be awesome though. I'll give it a watch when it comes out.

Plus I saw boobs in the trailer.

Asgard4eva
July 26th, 2008, 11:09 AM
Remember Caprica was already binned - TWICE

First as a show from Remi Aubuchon who wanted to mix a drama of Summerland with a modernized production of Trip to the Moon in scifi style, it would deal with issues like slavery etc.
The scifi channel didn't like it and binned it

During 2005 and 2006, Skiffy had a big hit with Battlestar with S1-S2,
but the show Battlestar series started to stumble and the fans started to walk away
Months later "Caprica" was quickly pitched, it was to feature back story on the Battlestar cylon homeworld and episodes on how the chrome toasters were created by man. Skiffy didn't like it, they didn't want to support a spin off from declining BSG ratings and they didn't think fans would tune into a story more closely linked to the original Glen Larson mythology on chrome toasters
So once again it was binned

After the writers strike, Skiffy and other tv networks faced a barron wasteland of empty scripts and forgotten productions. So rather than face more fallout from the WGA strike they resurrected two projects and combined them into one
Season 4 of Galactica was also re-tuned a little to better fit into Remi Aubuchon's world

What we have now is a Frankensteinish half-breed of both shows
we have a Remi Aubuchon series loosely based on cylon mythology and we have the Caprica chrome toasters from Ronald D. Moore and David Eick's reimagined series who got binned and have been replaced by humanoid sexbots.

Asgard4eva
August 3rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
Sci Fi Offers Fans Quirky, Quality Options
http://www.redorbit.com/news/entertainment/1496867/sci_fi_offers_fans_quirky_quality_options/
One movie that could jump straight to series. "Caprica" is set 51 years before the Cylon takeover on "Battlestar Galactica," with Esai Morales as the father of William Adama, who becomes the "Battlestar" commander. Remi Auchubon, a key writer-producer for both shows, calls the new one "a series about our lack of control of technology."

CCI: Battlestar Galactica
http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17525

diane23
August 3rd, 2008, 08:24 PM
That looks like it'll be a lot different from BSG.. But still, wow. Looks great!

DOIKECARTER
August 4th, 2008, 09:22 AM
It looks different from Battlestar....and intriguing enough to survive on its own merits.

rockerlad
August 6th, 2008, 12:27 PM
it looks rubish, but i will give it a go and see what its like

Osiris
August 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Rubbish? Because there are not spaceships shooting at eachother? :rolleyes:

DOIKECARTER
August 8th, 2008, 06:53 AM
Well, it doesn´t look Battlestar Galactica till you hear Adama, if that´s your approach. It´s a different story. I don´t want it to be as SGA was for SG1.....not enough new ideas for 2 tooo similar shows.

The Prophet
August 8th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I'm wondering how it'll fit into continuity of the BSG Universe.

They create a Human-form Cylon/ Gynoid? Only to regress into Old Style Centurions before re-advancing into Human-Forms again?

(That reminds me of Reese & the Replicators actually :P)

Shan Bruce Lee
August 8th, 2008, 03:09 PM
Rubbish? Because there are not spaceships shooting at eachother? :rolleyes:

That's what made BSG good. The trailer looks to me like they took everything good about BSG and cut it. By watching that trailer there's nothing to indicate it's a sci fi show. It plays like a primetime network drama.

At the very least they're gonna have to show some actual Cylons (chrome not human) if they wanna grab peoples' attention.

rockerlad
August 9th, 2008, 07:39 AM
That's what made BSG good. The trailer looks to me like they took everything good about BSG and cut it. By watching that trailer there's nothing to indicate it's a sci fi show. It plays like a primetime network drama.

At the very least they're gonna have to show some actual Cylons (chrome not human) if they wanna grab peoples' attention.

It looks like a soap opera (Eastenders style), I will give it a chance tho.

AJZ
August 13th, 2008, 11:50 AM
I'll give it a chance, did they say it would be a made of tv movie and then if that was a hit the series would get the green light (like bsg did)?

I'm a fan of Esai Morales (Joseph Adama) his performance on Jericho was really good. Though I'm not at all a fan of Eric Stoltz (Daniel Graystone).

Kezia
August 13th, 2008, 01:38 PM
I'll give it a chance, did they say it would be a made of tv movie and then if that was a hit the series would get the green light (like bsg did)?
I'm not sure about TV movie, but a two-hour backdoor pilot is scheduled to air later this year.

Mongoletsi
August 14th, 2008, 11:13 AM
I'm sure that's been taken into consideration mate, given the abnormally (for scifi) continuity quality of BSG.

g.o.d
August 14th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I'm not sure about TV movie, but a two-hour backdoor pilot is scheduled to air later this year.

yeah, in november on British SKY1

Mongoletsi
August 14th, 2008, 11:38 AM
[... no space ships in Caprica trailer ...]

That's what made BSG good.
Huh? Apart from ardent scifi geeks, I was under the very strong impression that people actually enjoyed that the technology was the backdrop, that it was the story/stories that make BSG stand apart.

The trailer looks to me like they took everything good about BSG and cut it.
Erm, how you can say that from watching a brief trailer I really don't know.

Gee! I bet the writers hadn't thought of that! You'd better tell them.

Mongoletsi
August 14th, 2008, 11:44 AM
yeah, in november on British SKY1

Music to my ears mate :)

btw, your sig... Georgia bombed the **** outta a civilian centre they don't really have claim to. Russia then went OTT. Don't support either; they're both as bad as each other!

g.o.d
August 14th, 2008, 11:54 AM
Music to my ears mate :)

btw, your sig... Georgia bombed the **** outta a civilian centre they don't really have claim to. Russia then went OTT. Don't support either; they're both as bad as each other!

if I were you, I wouldn't trust russians a single word;) My country has a very bad experience with them, they occupied us over 20 years

Mongoletsi
August 15th, 2008, 08:35 AM
if I were you, I wouldn't trust russians a single word;) My country has a very bad experience with them, they occupied us over 20 years
Oh I don't mate! Don't worry! I was a politics student in another life so I know! But... Georgia are the ones who decided "heh, let's take this land, even though most folk there are Rus" - UN self-determination and all that. No need for the Ruskies to beat the crap out of Georgia now though!

Sorry, wrong meeting!

Shan Bruce Lee
August 15th, 2008, 01:26 PM
[... no space ships in Caprica trailer ...]

Huh? Apart from ardent scifi geeks, I was under the very strong impression that people actually enjoyed that the technology was the backdrop, that it was the story/stories that make BSG stand apart.

No that's not what made it popular. It was scenes like the vipers facing off in Peagasus.

And BSG doesn't stand out. It's fan base is no bigger than Stargate, Firefly or Star Trek. Those shows only stand out to the people that like them more than the others.

Erm, how you can say that from watching a brief trailer I really don't know.

Trailers are supposed to show what what the show/movie/series is all about and they didn't show any of that stuff.

Gee! I bet the writers hadn't thought of that! You'd better tell them.

Obviously they didn't, otherwise it would've been in the trailer. You know the one that doesn't show any of that stuff?

Kezia
August 15th, 2008, 03:12 PM

No that's not what made it popular. It was scenes like the vipers facing off in Peagasus.

And BSG doesn't stand out. It's fan base is no bigger than Stargate, Firefly or Star Trek. Those shows only stand out to the people that like them more than the others.
I'm with Mongolesti on this one. While BSG does have groundbreaking visual effects (by far the best in its genre right now), the hard-hitting emotional drama and complex storylines are more the main attraction.

BSG stands out A LOT. Just because it has a smaller fan base doesn't mean it doesn't stand out. If anything that makes it stand out even more. BSG took a revolutionary approach to sci-fi storytelling and broke the Trek mould by tossing out the candy-ass aspect of traditional, campy science fiction in favour of darker, grittier drama and human interactions with actual consequences.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone even those who jump on the "soap opera" whiners bandwagon to say it doesn't stand out. With that said both SG-1 and Firefly also stood out in their own way.

Shan Bruce Lee
August 15th, 2008, 09:06 PM
I'm with Mongolesti on this one. While BSG does have groundbreaking visual effects (by far the best in its genre right now), the hard-hitting emotional drama and complex storylines are more the main attraction.

BSG stands out A LOT. Just because it has a smaller fan base doesn't mean it doesn't stand out. If anything that makes it stand out even more. BSG took a revolutionary approach to sci-fi storytelling and broke the Trek mould by tossing out the candy-ass aspect of traditional, campy science fiction in favour of darker, grittier drama and human interactions with actual consequences.

You'd be hard pressed to find anyone even those who jump on the "soap opera" whiners bandwagon to say it doesn't stand out. With that said both SG-1 and Firefly also stood out in their own way.

lol You just made my point right there. And just to clarify, I didn't say BSG had a smaller fan base. I said they were about the same.

mr_kennedy
August 15th, 2008, 09:34 PM
after seeing the trailer........meh im not looking forward this show as much as i was

but ill still probably watch

Mongoletsi
August 17th, 2008, 04:35 AM
Not according to the myriad of mainstream reviews.

Trailers are supposed to show what what the show/movie/series is all about and they didn't show any of that stuff.
I really don't wish to disagree, but I must. Are you seriously telling me that every trailer you've ever seen contains a concise overview of what's to come?

Mongoletsi
August 17th, 2008, 04:41 AM
lol You just made my point right there. And just to clarify, I didn't say BSG had a smaller fan base. I said they were about the same.

In what way? Sorry to appear to be picking on you; but Kezia in no way makes you point. Quite the opposite.

s72450
August 19th, 2008, 04:42 PM
See the trailer made me want to watch the show. I'm very intrigued with the mythos of the Cylons and look forward to seeing the birth of this machine and see where the show takes us.

I fully believe there will be something that happens in BSG to tie it to the show. I'm still convinced that Adama is the final cylon and this prequel series will be showing what happens and how he comes to be who he is in the BSG series, basically a Star Wars prequel for the BSG crowd. I think it could be amazing.

Shan Bruce Lee
August 20th, 2008, 07:00 AM
Not according to the myriad of mainstream reviews.

That's an exaggeration

I really don't wish to disagree, but I must. Are you seriously telling me that every trailer you've ever seen contains a concise overview of what's to come?

The one and only purpose of a trailer is to show the viewers what the show/movie is about... so yes, I guess that is what I'm telling you.

In what way? Sorry to appear to be picking on you; but Kezia in no way makes you point. Quite the opposite.

What happens when you fill a room full of people that stand out in a crowd?

Mongoletsi
August 21st, 2008, 05:35 AM
[Re mainstream reviews] That's an exaggeration

I mean "mainstream media". A lot of big name publications have championed BSG mate. Specifically due to the story, the quest, the conflict... against a scifi backdrop. One that springs to mind is Time voting it best thing on TV in 2005 (http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1141640,00.html). I remember reading this article (http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/iain_gray/blog/2007/02/01/battlestar_galactica_the_new_west_wing) too.

Apparently the writers of the show have deliberately kept the scifi as low-tech as the premise allows.

The one and only purpose of a trailer is to show the viewers what the show/movie is about... so yes, I guess that is what I'm telling you.
I suppose you like those "flash forwards" right after the BSG intro eh?

What happens when you fill a room full of people that stand out in a crowd?

An opportunity for ham-fisted philosophical pretention.

Anyway, I can't believe I'm actually vexed by comments about a trailer. Must go do something productive instead...

btw. SBL, how's your sil lim tao?

Shan Bruce Lee
August 21st, 2008, 03:05 PM
An opportunity for ham-fisted philosophical pretention.

If you don't have an answer that's fine, but resorting to calling me "ham-fisted" and pretentious instead is rediculous.

I don't practice Wing Chun so I don't know where you're coming from with that last question, but if it's about my screen name, styles and forms go against everything Bruce Lee taught

Platschu
August 22nd, 2008, 09:10 PM
I don't know if you have seen this Caprica promo:
http://video.scifi.com/player/?id=277985
Sorry, this is the same. :o

Bey0nd
September 16th, 2008, 12:05 AM

caprica 90210

DOIKECARTER
September 23rd, 2008, 07:55 AM
caprica 90210
It can´t be like that simply because it will begin "51 years before de fall". Ron Moore won´t let us forget Caprica is doomed. It won´t be full of effects. It has to be cost effective but someday there should be old-new mechanicaly cylons. I find it more difficult to understand how all Cylon evolution happens during Bill Adama´s lifetime. Let´s remember RAZOR flashbacks, Husker recalling how Cylon War began while he was in school. Too many events, too fast....I´d love to see how the war began.

Pepermint Jaffa
September 23rd, 2008, 08:11 AM
after seeing the trailer........meh im not looking forward this show as much as i was

but ill still probably watch

I feel the same. The trailer made me less interested in the show, but I'm still going to give it a chance.

Bey0nd
October 21st, 2008, 11:36 AM
doomed to flop

rockerlad
November 6th, 2008, 01:03 PM
I think ithis is airs on the 26/11 on sky1 in the uk

g.o.d
November 6th, 2008, 09:53 PM
I think ithis is airs on the 26/11 on sky1 in the uk

I think we'll have to wait much longer :(:(

daniel9
November 18th, 2008, 12:49 PM
one week to go

g.o.d
November 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
one week to go

I doubt that

daniel9
November 18th, 2008, 03:23 PM
we'll seee in a day or 2 when sky1 shows what will be showing on the 26th. lets all hope for the best

rockerlad
November 23rd, 2008, 11:39 AM
we'll seee in a day or 2 when sky1 shows what will be showing on the 26th. lets all hope for the best

I have just look and it is not listed for wed.

The Prophet
November 25th, 2008, 04:46 PM
Caprica's airing in Spring on Sky1 in the UK & Ireland now. According to Sky1's article (http://www.skypressoffice.co.uk/SkyOne/news/showarticle.asp?id=2528&month=8&year=2008).

The US is having a December/ early 09 release date though.

g.o.d
November 25th, 2008, 09:36 PM
Caprica's airing in Spring on Sky1 in the UK & Ireland now. According to Sky1's article (http://www.skypressoffice.co.uk/SkyOne/news/showarticle.asp?id=2528&month=8&year=2008).

The US is having a December/ early 09 release date though.

are you sure? I'Ve heard/read it will air in the USA after 4.5:(

Berg417448
November 26th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Caprica info from TV Guide:

"I am seriously in need of some Battlestar Galactica scoop! Also, has Caprica aired and I missed it, or was it scrapped? — Robert

MICKEY: It took me several days to decode the 54 pages of 0s and 1s that my Sci Fi mole-bot beep-booped over to me, but the upshot is this: Though Sci Fi once planned to air Caprica in December, it's now on hold, pending the final episodes of Battlestar Galactica. It definitely won't see the light of day until after the BSG series finale ... but also maybe not at all. In the meantime, I'm assuming you've seen this BSG trailer, right?"

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Mega-Whisperer-Battlestar-1000230.aspx

Bey0nd
January 13th, 2009, 04:40 AM

I'm guessing it wont

Asgard4eva
January 17th, 2009, 11:32 PM
no more Caprica please

instead they should have put all their efforts into writing a good final season

Osiris
January 18th, 2009, 03:33 AM
no more Caprica please

instead they should have put all their efforts into writing a good final season

I assume you've watched all the remaining episodes? :rolleyes: