Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

if you drop an activated stargate into an ocean....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

could that drain it onto another planet, effectively flooding it?
    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
    sigpic

Originally posted by tombombadail View Post
    could that drain it onto another planet, effectively flooding it?
    We'd loose alot of water in the process but I don't think water can get through a Stargate for some reason. Remember the Russians sent through that probe to the water planet and when it can back no water came through the gate. Now I know that technically wasn't water but I would've thought it would have the same effect if it didn't then why would the Russians have tried it. But we know lava can get through the gate as it did in SGA when they find the Orion, We'll we saw it impacting the Iris.
    if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

Originally posted by a6346 View Post
      We'd loose alot of water in the process but I don't think water can get through a Stargate for some reason. Remember the Russians sent through that probe to the water planet and when it can back no water came through the gate. Now I know that technically wasn't water but I would've thought it would have the same effect if it didn't then why would the Russians have tried it. But we know lava can get through the gate as it did in SGA when they find the Orion, We'll we saw it impacting the Iris.
      i thought the water-like aliens chose not to go through the gate....
      sigpic

Comment

The water would go through. And yeah, it would flood the planet, but after 38 minutes.
        Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
        encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
        3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
        4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
        5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

No it would not drain the ocean, gate basics one O one. The eventhorzion is able to distinguish between a object say a person or ship and the natrual forces exacted by the water.

If we opened a gate to a planet with no atmosphere or in space all the atmosphere would be sucked from your location and then delivered to where you dialed. Water and air in this case try to do he same thing.

So no the ocean would not be sucked in.

Comment

it would. but it depends if the gate stays up or lays down. if it lays down, gravity at work. and to be totally sure it works, toss it in a deep, deep trench. waterpressure+gravity=flooding of the alien world.

Comment

We would still have to pump the water through the gate, if we activate our gate air isn't sucked through it, so water probably wouldn't either.

Comment

we wouldnt. first, the watergate didnt count.
                second, water is heavier as air. third, if it lay down, EH up, the gravity would pull the water through. and toss it in a multi kilometre deep trench, and it would DEFINATELY be pushed through. cause it wouldnt be pulled. unless you dial a black hole. its pushed.

Comment

get a activated supergate and throw downwards with enough force to push all the water through, that will lower earths oceans considerably forever
                  sigpic

Comment

I think if there was an initial impact force, then some water would go through then as the Stargate would interpret it as exerting enough force to want to go through.
                    However, I think once the Stargate settled and you just had the usual water pressures acting on it, it would adapt and start blocking it.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                      we wouldnt. first, the watergate didnt count.
                      second, water is heavier as air. third, if it lay down, EH up, the gravity would pull the water through. and toss it in a multi kilometre deep trench, and it would DEFINATELY be pushed through. cause it wouldnt be pulled. unless you dial a black hole. its pushed.
                      why doesn't Watergate count
                      supersoldier34sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by supersoldier34 View Post
                        why doesn't Watergate count
                        Because it wasn't actually water. It was an alien life form that chose not to enter the event horizon.

It's impossible to say what would happen if you dropped and active gate into an ocean. We don't know how the gate would treat water. It's possible it would distinguish between the water and an object that wanted to go through and keep the water out like it does air or atmosphere, or it may allow it to pass. It's a great question that we'll probably never know the answer to.

Comment

drop it in the marian trench or whatever its called. 11km under the ocean. if THAT wont let water through

Comment

it will sink.
                            Trailers and PR
                            Stargate: War Begins team
                            http://www.moddb.com/mods/9705/stargate-mod-war-begins
                            forums:
                            http://stargatethewarbegins.tk/

sigpic

We will miss you Hammond of Texas!

Comment

Originally posted by SoulAssassino View Post
                              it will sink.
                              if that doesn't deserve green i don't know what does
                              edit: sorry, i've spread to much in the past 24 hours...
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X