Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How did...? (spoilers for The Seed, regarding Keller)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How did...? (spoilers for The Seed, regarding Keller)

Ok so it was established fairly early on that this thing was growing out of her body right. So all these tentacles and what not are actually connected to her and sprouting through her skin and tissue and not just draped over her the way the FX were.

So when they inject the creature with the retrovirus the tentacles all die and the pathogen in her system is removed but what about the damage already done to her body?

Even if we go ahead and assume that the tentacles that are inside her and growing out through her skin just dissolve shouldn't that then leave her with skin that looks more like Freddy Kruger's than what we saw in the episode. There would be holes and scars and gashes everywhere a tentacle had displaced or replaced her normal human tissue. Either that or they don't dissolve and we end up with them having to just shave them down as much as possible to avoid ripping dozens of holes in her skin and now we've got Dr. Treestump.

In either case, short of some sort of elaborate nano tech removal and regeneration efforts or some as of yet undisclosed ability to regenerate skin like a Wraith she should not have come out of this in anything approaching pristine condition, even if she did live.

So did I miss something or is this just a typical no lasting consequences reset button.

I noticed the same thing and can't think of any logical explanation. Nothing mentioned on the show would have been able to heal her like that with the exception of perhaps a sarcophagus, or nanites, neither of which they have access to.
    sigpic

Comment

A wizard did it?
      Equality is not a concept. It's not something we should be striving for. It's a necessity. Equality is like gravity. We need it to stand on this earth as men and women. And the misogyny that is in every culture is not a true part of the human condition. It is life out of balance, and that imbalance is sucking something out of the soul of every man and woman who is confronted with it.
      - Joss Whedon - Equality Now

Comment

Yes, I wonder why she has no scars! Also, shouldn't she be in some sort of psychological trauma from all of this?

As I indicated in a short blurb on the long discussion of this episode, the action in the storylines are stomping all over any chance of realistic fiction/drama.

"The Seed" was not one of the franchise's better efforts.

Comment

looks like they just grew out of her belly

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
            looks like they just grew out of her belly
            I think they started growing out of her hand (which was lying on her stomach when they first discovered the growths), which was were the infection had previously started with the gooey stage.
            sigpic

Comment

What? More illogical stuff in "The Seed" we'll have to either fanwank our way to a solution or just go "Suspension of disbelief!" over? Who would've expected that?

Comment

Originally posted by Ouroboros View Post
                Ok so it was established fairly early on that this thing was growing out of her body right. So all these tentacles and what not are actually connected to her and sprouting through her skin and tissue and not just draped over her the way the FX were.

So when they inject the creature with the retrovirus the tentacles all die and the pathogen in her system is removed but what about the damage already done to her body?

Even if we go ahead and assume that the tentacles that are inside her and growing out through her skin just dissolve shouldn't that then leave her with skin that looks more like Freddy Kruger's than what we saw in the episode. There would be holes and scars and gashes everywhere a tentacle had displaced or replaced her normal human tissue. Either that or they don't dissolve and we end up with them having to just shave them down as much as possible to avoid ripping dozens of holes in her skin and now we've got Dr. Treestump.

In either case, short of some sort of elaborate nano tech removal and regeneration efforts or some as of yet undisclosed ability to regenerate skin like a Wraith she should not have come out of this in anything approaching pristine condition, even if she did live.

So did I miss something or is this just a typical no lasting consequences reset button.
                The retrovirus healed her as well as getting rid of the growth.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  The retrovirus healed her as well as getting rid of the growth.
                  That's some mighty retrovirus. Did Carson just invent some kind of ultra-cure that will heal even big gaping wounds in a jiffy?

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
                    That's some mighty retrovirus. Did Carson just invent some kind of ultra-cure that will heal even big gaping wounds in a jiffy?
                    The vaccine only killed the pathogen...

It does NOT destroy the already grown stuff. The vaccine severed the connection.....and prevented more growth, took away the intelligence and turned it to something like a Tree bark. Thats all. Thats what Carson said. They probably needed chainsaws to get her outa there....

Comment

Originally posted by SG-Lover-SL View Post
                      The vaccine only killed the pathogen...

It does NOT destroy the already grown stuff. The vaccine severed the connection.....and prevented more growth, took away the intelligence and turned it to something like a Tree bark. Thats all. Thats what Carson said. They probably needed chainsaws to get her outa there....
                      I was being sarcastic after Mitchell82 claimed the following:
                      "The retrovirus healed her as well as getting rid of the growth."

Comment

Ancient dermal regenerator.

Comment

That is the same thing when Sheppard got infected with the retrovirus, his body mass increased also I believe, so he should have some additional stuff on his body but he didn't. Also when the retrovirus was used on the Hive (No man's land & Misbegotten) we saw reversed Wraith, some of which I believe used to be warriors, but none of the guys seen in Misbegotten quite matched the posture of the warriors.

Spoiler:
                          Unless of course the retorvirus can remove body mass, if so NO MORE LIPOSUCTION

Comment

Originally posted by EternalAlteran View Post
                            That is the same thing when Sheppard got infected with the retrovirus, his body mass increased also I believe, so he should have some additional stuff on his body but he didn't. Also when the retrovirus was used on the Hive (No man's land & Misbegotten) we saw reversed Wraith, some of which I believe used to be warriors, but none of the guys seen in Misbegotten quite matched the posture of the warriors.

Spoiler:
                            Unless of course the retorvirus can remove body mass, if so NO MORE LIPOSUCTION
                            Different retroviri.

Comment

I wish we'd seen Keller suffering some after effects at the end of the episode, it was a bit Voyager-ish how she was on the verge of turning in to a Hive Ship but was absolutely fine at the end of the episode with no scars, no mental trauma, nothing.

I don't like the episodes where the crew are transformed/mutilated in some way by a virus but are all 100% cured by the end. The after effects don't even have to last in to the next episode, just beyond the end of the current one.

Surely it wouldn't have cost that much to stick some fake wounds or tentacle stumps on her for that short last scene.

Comment

Working...
                              X