Radek has the gene?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Radek has the gene?

There's a scene, when Teyla and Radek go to see how far the infection has spread. Radek is wandering by himself and is using what looks suspiciously like a life signs detector (LSD). Except, it's been stated several times (the Siege 2, most notably) that you cannot use the LSD without the gene; it's not a device that can be activated by a gene carrier then used by non-carriers.

So, with that being the case, and if that IS an LSD...how is Radek, who stated in Hot Zone that the gene therapy "didn't take", able to use it? Did a later gene therapy take and we weren't told (which I find highly unlikely; news that big would have been mentioned, I would think) or is this another instance of the writers not paying attention to continuity?

Toni
    Pimping Rodney and Radek, one post at a time.

Dr. M. Rodney I. McKay, PhD
    Dr. Radek A. Zelenka, PhD
    SGA RP Recap

Viva la OT5! Rodney/Carson/John/Radek/Rae

It may be that the life signs detector was already activated by somebody else and Radek just picked it up
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Tonia Barone View Post
      There's a scene, when Teyla and Radek go to see how far the infection has spread. Radek is wandering by himself and is using what looks suspiciously like a life signs detector (LSD). Except, it's been stated several times (the Siege 2, most notably) that you cannot use the LSD without the gene; it's not a device that can be activated by a gene carrier then used by non-carriers.

So, with that being the case, and if that IS an LSD...how is Radek, who stated in Hot Zone that the gene therapy "didn't take", able to use it? Did a later gene therapy take and we weren't told (which I find highly unlikely; news that big would have been mentioned, I would think) or is this another instance of the writers not paying attention to continuity?

Toni
      The only thing i cant think of is that Sheppard was wrong in "The Siege Part 2) and the life signs detector can be used by anyone once it is activated by someone with the ATA gene.

Comment

Didn't Radek fly a jumper in The Brotherhood?

Comment

Originally posted by Infinatus View Post
          Didn't Radek fly a jumper in The Brotherhood?
          Um...no? Carson, "Smitty" and some other grunts did, but not Radek. He stayed in the city watching the sensors.

Oops, that was Letters From Pegasus, I think. Either way, no.
          Pimping Rodney and Radek, one post at a time.

Dr. M. Rodney I. McKay, PhD
          Dr. Radek A. Zelenka, PhD
          SGA RP Recap

Viva la OT5! Rodney/Carson/John/Radek/Rae

Comment

» Oh, no! Where'd I put my show bible!?

Comment

Toni
              Look at travelers. Larrin does the same thing. also, Lucius does the same in Irresponsible, only with the personal shield.
              Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
              encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
              3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
              4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
              5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

Toni
                I can't remember the episode but Mckay mentioned in S4 that they found that most of the systems, just needed someone with the gene to activate everything, they didn't necessarily have to have the gene to make it work once it was activated.
                Damn, I know I just saw that episode recently so it had to be in S4, Maybe the Return pt1???
                sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Toni

It was not a Life Signs Detector.

When Radek got to the creature he said, "I'm going to see if I can determine how much power it is draining." He then held the device up close to the creature thing and appeared to be taking energy readings. So while it looked like a life signs detector it was not an LSD, it was some sort of energy meter.

Comment

yup, Radek was taking power readings so they may know what power source they can use to bait the vines away from the main conduits. It wasnt clear as to which non-vital systems or instruments/ weapons doesn't need the ancient genes. Here's my list of systems that needs the AG in order to work (not just activate/ initialize for non-AG SGA team member to use):
                    1. puddle jumper
                    2. the weapons chair
                    3. Life sign detector
                    4. ZPM power console
                    5. city-ship navigation chair

Comment

Originally posted by EdenSG View Post
                      It was not a Life Signs Detector.

When Radek got to the creature he said, "I'm going to see if I can determine how much power it is draining." He then held the device up close to the creature thing and appeared to be taking energy readings. So while it looked like a life signs detector it was not an LSD, it was some sort of energy meter.
                      Same as in Reunion, where the same question was raised on JM's blog after Radek was shown using what looked like an LSD to find the power conduits in the walls of the Wraith base. JM explained at the time that what Radek was using was not an LSD. The confusion arises I guess because the prop used looks too darn similar to an LSD - from an in-verse perspective I guess it would make sense that various handheld Ancient console type bits of equipment might have a similar design but from an out-verse perspective it would have avoided confusion if TPTB had designed something a little different to make it clear it's not an LSD.
                      sigpic

Comment

There are many occassions on stargate where Ancient tech is used without anyone with an ATA gene.

I believe the devices can be programmed by people with the ATA gene and they decide wether other non ATA people can use them after they turned it on.

Comment

Originally posted by EternalAlteran View Post
                          There are many occassions on stargate where Ancient tech is used without anyone with an ATA gene.

I believe the devices can be programmed by people with the ATA gene and they decide wether other non ATA people can use them after they turned it on.
                          That's true of much Ancient tech, however it has been specifically referenced in The Siege Part II that the LSD will only work if you have the ATA gene.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alipeeps View Post
                            That's true of much Ancient tech, however it has been specifically referenced in The Siege Part II that the LSD will only work if you have the ATA gene.
                            Hence, gene therapy for the wacky gunman .

Comment

Toni
                              It's not a LSD. It was a laptop he used to determine the power drain.
                              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Working...
                              X