The Hive Mind thingie and plot holes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Hive Mind thingie and plot holes...

OK, so early on, Jennifer's comatose or whatever. Carson cuts off a tiny part of the Hive-thingie and Jennifer flatlines. O... K... so it's determined that it's very dangerous and possibly life threatening to harm the thingie in any way.

Yet nothing happened to her when John injected her with the retrovirus (another retrovirus?!). You'd think that with its dying breath, it'd curse Jennifer's safe and kill her. Also, what's up with it not at all reacting to John's presence in the room?!

It just let him walk straight up to Jennifer and inject her with something. What did it expect, for him to crash through the wall, walk out and hug her goodbye and then fly off? No, kill that ******* who's about to do something fishy now!

Then we have it communicating with the expedition. "I'm not Jennifer Keller anymore. Muahahahaha. I am but a nameless ship now! Ahahahahahaha!". John tells them to keep it talking and then flies off...

Only Jennifer's unconscious when he finally gets there. What, the crash knocked Jennifer and the creature unconscious (though it was still conscious enough to keep its grip on Ronon)? Or it just randomly lapsed into a coma? No, really, what possible reason could it have to random go from "Muahahahahahaha!" to "Zzzzzz!".

Just too much weirdness going on at the end there.

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    OK, so early on, Jennifer's comatose or whatever. Carson cuts off a tiny part of the Hive-thingie and Jennifer flatlines. O... K... so it's determined that it's very dangerous and possibly life threatening to harm the thingie in any way.

Yet nothing happened to her when John injected her with the retrovirus (another retrovirus?!). You'd think that with its dying breath, it'd curse Jennifer's safe and kill her.
    We have no idea what did or did not happen to her. She fell back with her eyes closed and then Sheppard told them to send help. The scene ends there and the next one begins with Keller out of isolation.

Also minior point, but she didn't flatline when they cut the thing off her. Her pulse was dropping and they prevented her from crashing with an injection. Sheppard was the one who flatlined when injected with phage virus (not the retrovirus). Which would suggest that it's possible the same thing would happen to Keller, but again we have no way of knowing if it did or not. If it did, she could've regained a heartbeat on her own or Sheppard/a medical team could've revived her within a few minutes.

Also, what's up with it not at all reacting to John's presence in the room?!

It just let him walk straight up to Jennifer and inject her with something. What did it expect, for him to crash through the wall, walk out and hug her goodbye and then fly off? No, kill that ******* who's about to do something fishy now!
    It's possible that Beckett's guess was wrong when he said that maybe it wouldn't attack one of their own. When in reality it didn't care either way and would only attacked when it perceived a threat of any kind. Thus it only attacked Sheppard when he injected Keller even though the pathogen no longer existed in his bloodstream. However, I agree that one would think the jumper impacting it would set it off.

Comment

Perhaps the Jumper crashing into the building confused it and distracted it from Sheppard. And really, it wasn't laughing when it said it wasn't Keller, it said it in a machine-like way. The only emotion it showed was when it said it could have killed Ronan with a single pull from its tentacle.

'Hallowed are the children of the Ori. CROWD: Hallowed are we. Hallowed are the Ori.' -

'Great holy armies shall be gathered and trained to fight all who embrace evil. In the name of the Gods, ships shall be built to carry the warriors out among the stars and we will spread Origin to all the unbelievers. The power of the Ori will be felt far and wide and the wicked shall be vanquished' -

Contribute to the Stargate Wiki a source for any information on the Stargate universe from the books, RPG to games and comics.

Comment

Originally posted by Prior_of_the_Ori View Post
        Perhaps the Jumper crashing into the building confused it and distracted it from Sheppard. And really, it wasn't laughing when it said it wasn't Keller, it said it in a machine-like way. The only emotion it showed was when it said it could have killed Ronan with a single pull from its tentacle.
        The maniacal laugh was added for humour.

Comment

We never saw Keller speak; for all we know the voice was created from the creature interfacing with the intercom.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            We never saw Keller speak; for all we know the voice was created from the creature interfacing with the intercom.
            It was the creature.

It said "I am no longer Dr. Keller" (or whatever it said), which means it's using Jennifer's body to speak, not merely growing around here and having its own voice. It also used her voice, although distorted.

Comment

Yet nothing happened to her when John injected her with the retrovirus (another retrovirus?!). You'd think that with its dying breath, it'd curse Jennifer's safe and kill her. Also, what's up with it not at all reacting to John's presence in the room?!

Then we have it communicating with the expedition. "I'm not Jennifer Keller anymore. Muahahahaha. I am but a nameless ship now! Ahahahahahaha!". John tells them to keep it talking and then flies off...

Only Jennifer's unconscious when he finally gets there. What, the crash knocked Jennifer and the creature unconscious (though it was still conscious enough to keep its grip on Ronon)? Or it just randomly lapsed into a coma? No, really, what possible reason could it have to random go from "Muahahahahahaha!" to "Zzzzzz!".

Just too much weirdness going on at the end there.
              It was likely stunned from the crash which allowed him the time he needed to give her the injection but it did defend itself by impailing John.
              Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
              "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
              Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Someone brought up the point that Carter was infected, so when Continuum took place shouldn't she have changed as well? How much time passed from Carter leaving and Woosely arriving?

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                  It was likely stunned from the crash which allowed him the time he needed to give her the injection but it did defend itself by impailing John.
                  How the hell does a giant creature that's spread throughout several floors get stunned by a jumper crashing through a small part of it?

It also did nothing while John slowly walked up to Jennifer and then injected her. It only "defended" itself after he'd already killed it, with its dying breath.

Comment

It is a plothole. And several weeks (OK, maybe not several weeks) had passed since Search and Rescue. By that time, Continuum had already happened. Maybe that's where she was at the end of the movie.
                    Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth or easy...

... or that any man can measure the tides and hurricanes he will
                    encounter on the strange journey.

Spoiler:

2 Cor. 10:3-5
                    3 For though we walk in the flesh, we do not war after the flesh:
                    4 (For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds; )
                    5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;

Comment

How the hell does a giant creature that's spread throughout several floors get stunned by a jumper crashing through a small part of it?

It also did nothing while John slowly walked up to Jennifer and then injected her. It only "defended" itself after he'd already killed it, with its dying breath.
                      Um becuase anything would get stuned by such a massive impact. He was going at a speed that would have toppled the WTC instantly. And duh it would defend itself for it's last breath.
                      Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                      "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                      Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

How does a relatively large creature, like say a deer or a human get stunned or even killed when something like a bullet crashes through a small part of it? Maybe because it took a lot of damage or I dunno, that jumper freaking hurt when it crashed into what was essentially its skull.
                        All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

possible didnt determine john a threat or it was busy repairing itself when john crashed through, but once john gave the injection it quickly went for him
                          sigpic

Comment

Are you all forgetting that Carson cut a bit and it caused problems, but Ronon hacked and slashed through it with no effect?
                            sigpic

Comment

I've got a better question: What happens to this hive mind when the ship is fully grown. To my knowledge there's never been any thing like that on any of the wraith ships we've seen so far. Wraith ships let the Atlantis crew slip on board and blow up their hyperdrives and slip away unscathed.
                              Jack likes being invisible.

(in shower) Sir, are you in here?

(invisible) Nope.

Comment

Working...
                              X