Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else sick and tired of the "Everyone must be saved!"-BS?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone else sick and tired of the "Everyone must be saved!"-BS?

Well, it's not really "Everyone must be saved!", it's more "Everyone I like must be saved!".

Copy + paste because I'm too lazy to rewrite it:
    I'm so sick and tired of these episodes where the heroes have to be 100% good and go "No! We cannot sacrifice one single life for the lives of hundreds!"

Michael destroys the Daedalus, there went tons of lives, a powerful ship with powerful weapons and a great part of Atlantis' main staff. Not only that, if Michael had escaped with Teyla, his endgame would be complete. John knew what would happen if Michael succeeded.

Millions (if not billions) of lives lost, Atlantis abandoned, a new master race who are bred slaves for Michael. Oh yeah, let's risk all of that just so we can save two lives.

Would they have cared that much if it had been a random person instead of one of their close friends? The stupidity and hypocrisy. "Oh, it's a teammate!", "It's a close friend!", "We love her!" - Yeah, well, the rest of the galaxy would very much like to stay alive, thank you very much.

It's not even like with Ford. Ford was just one guy. Whether he escaped or not didn't really mean much. There was no bigger picture there. Teyla and her baby? Yeah, fate of the entire galaxy at stake here.

"Let's be sitting ducks and hope our plan works!"

New stuff:
    I mean, come on! Be realistic! Let the heroes not be idiots. It's quite easy to not have this dilemma arise (and it does this quite frequently!):
    Don't put the characters in a situation like that!

Just don't friggin' write episodes where they have to either sacrifice a teammate or risk the fate of hundreds, thousands or millions! How friggin' hard can it be?!

If I lived anywhere in SGA-universe, I sure as hell would've wanted them to blast Michael's ship out of the sky the milisecond it left orbit.

Fate of the galaxy vs. fate of 2 people. So what if they're 2 innocent lives? What about the thousands or millions of lives that will be lost if Michael's endgame is completed?

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
    New stuff:If I lived anywhere in SGA-universe, I sure as hell would've wanted them to blast Michael's ship out of the sky the milisecond it left orbit.

Fate of the galaxy vs. fate of 2 people. So what if they're 2 innocent lives? What about the thousands or millions of lives that will be lost if Michael's endgame is completed?
    I was very much in favor of Caldwell blowing Michael's cruiser away in a second back in "The Kindred".

Comment

But back then they had no idea what would happen if Michael got his hands on Teyla's son.
      Mia: Don't you hate that?
      Vincent: Hate what?
      Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
      Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
      Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
      - Pulp Fiction

Comment

You would probably understand if you were military, you dont leave anyone behind. Period

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
        Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

But if it was a random Athosian guy, I'm sure they'd have blasted Michael out of the sky as soon as it showed up...
          Mia: Don't you hate that?
          Vincent: Hate what?
          Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
          Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
          Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
          - Pulp Fiction

Comment

What I really, really hated of 'Search and Rescue'

Well, i rated this ep as really wonderful, but there are some aspects I really, REALLY HATED, like the treatment of Sheppard's condition as "just because i am the hero i can walk around badly hurt like nothing". Of course being the main character they needed him up and about, but MY GOD!!! how bad it is to try a little more drama!!!!!!!!!! i mean, YES, have him doing all the rescue operation, but ADD SOME medical DRAMA!!!!!!!!
            Of course we are not watching a medical serie like ER, but as an example....the use of all those medical scenes did not damage the ratings or anything to a serie like the X FILES, to the contrary...how many times we suffer and saw Mulder go trough all that medical drama!!!!
            I really think THEY COULD HAVE DONE MORE DRAMA ABOUT SHEPPARD'S CONDITION !!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by jonos101 View Post
              You would probably understand if you were military, you dont leave anyone behind. Period
              Kind of hard to explain that sentiment to the handful of survivors that would be left after Michael destroyed their world.

That's not to say that it's not an admirable sentiment, but it just doesn't seem to have the priorities in correct order.

Comment

Exactly.
                Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
                "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
                Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Except that's not true though is it, especially of the most secret operations and elite troops.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                    Except that's not true though is it, especially of the most secret operations and elite troops.
                    Indeed. Often a person must be sacrificed for the greater good no matter whether they're one of your own or not.
                    Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Actually it is unless it's a black ops mission, and in Stargate it has always been that way. We never leave our people behind if we can avoid it.

Comment

Originally posted by P-90_177 View Post
                        Indeed. Often a person must be sacrificed for the greater good no matter whether they're one of your own or not.
                        There are times where that is neccessary but as a general rule we don't leave our people behind but it does happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                          Actually it is unless it's a black ops mission, and in Stargate it has always been that way. We never leave our people behind if we can avoid it.
                          No it hasn't, there have been a few times when people have been stranded offworld and rescues weren't sent because it was too dangerous. It does seem a bit strange that they'd risk an entire ship full of people for the sake of 2 lives.

Comment

It does seem a bit strange that they'd risk an entire ship full of people for the sake of 2 lives.
                            Agreed. I too questioned Carter's order to have the shields lowered to save two team members, at the same time jeopardizing the entire ship (and nearly losing it). This could have been written better.
                            My timeline of the Ancients here.

Comment

Oh, really? They didn't seem to mind leaving a whole bunch of Athosians behind on the Hive ship in "Rising".

Also, fate of the galaxy. I don't care if Teyla's a really nice person and her kid hadn't even been born yet. If this is how the military operates, then I don't want them anywhere near senior management of Atlantis!

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
                              And I wanna kick our heroes in their behinds every single time that happens. Hell, Hammond ordered SG-1 to not go and rescue people several times and those times, the only ones at risk would've been the people sent to rescue the prisoners/stranded/whatever.

Hey, anyone remember Elizabeth? "We cannot mount a rescue mission for her because it would be too risky, the men we send might be killed or mind probed for information."

O RLY? But it's OK to be sitting ducks and risk the fate of the galaxy for Teyla and her kid?

No it hasn't, there have been a few times when people have been stranded offworld and rescues weren't sent because it was too dangerous. It does seem a bit strange that they'd risk an entire ship full of people for the sake of 2 lives.
                              Fate of the galaxy. It was especially idiotic for John to be all "We don't leave people behind!" about Teyla since he knew how things would end up better than anyone if Michael got what he wanted. I like heroes with some brains.
                              Last edited by FallenAngelII; 17 July 2008, 10:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X