Teyla Got It Wrong

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teyla Got It Wrong

And by that I obviously mean the writers got it wrong. OR.... they got it spectacularly right.

1) Didn’t Teyla introduce herself the first time we saw her as ‘Teyla, daughter of Tagan’? So why did she call her son Torrin after her father? And this is the OR bit - Tagan was her mother and the Athosian society is matriarchal? This isn’t my idea; there’s been plenty of discussion about this on Livejournal and how cool it would be if that’s what the writers meant.

2) Teyla naming her son after John is wrong, wrong, so very wrong. Let’s look at who she could have named her son after instead:

a) Kanaan turned out to be a disappointment but she could have named him after Kanaan’s father or a male member of his family. She obviously had some feelings for him if she was in a relationship with him so that would have been the respectful thing to do.

b) Ronon was the first one who publicly and happily congratulated her on the announcement of her pregnancy. Ronon was the one that held her hand and went to the infirmary with her to make sure she and the baby were okay after major fighting. Ronon has been unfailing in his support of her. Where’s the Ronon love, Teyla?

c) And last but not least; the man who spent 25 years trying to fix the timeline, the man who made it possible to find her, the man who made motivational tapes for the baby while it was still in utero, the man who <i>delivered</i> the baby - Rodney. What more did he need to do to gain Teyla’s appreciation?

I know that TPTB don’t want us to forget that John is the hero of the show and I’m cool with that. I love John and his dorky faces and gravelly voice and his muppet laugh and the way he is always, <i>always</i> uncomfortable around women in romantic situations. But I don’t want ham-handed ‘connections’ being made between John and Teyla to allude to a ‘Will They Or Won’t They?’ relationship. They won’t, if common sense and actually understanding the characters has anything to do with it.

So what happened to Kanaan? Is he now on Atlantis?

I'm not liking the similarities b/n Teyla and Deanna Troi ...

Comment

I'm not sure about what happened with Kanaan. Chances are we'll find out in a later episode. Or he'll completely drop off the radar and we'll never see him/hear about him again LOL.

I was a big, BIG Next Gen fan before I got on the internet and started getting involved in fandom, so I didn't see a whole lot of Deanna hate. Yeah, her character was annoying at times because she was just so gosh darn perfect, and I didn't like her being the point of Troi/Worf/Riker triangle.

Comment

Originally posted by sarcasmo View Post
        And by that I obviously mean the writers got it wrong. OR.... they got it spectacularly right.

1) Didn’t Teyla introduce herself the first time we saw her as ‘Teyla, daughter of Tagan’? So why did she call her son Torrin after her father? And this is the OR bit - Tagan was her mother and the Athosian society is matriarchal? This isn’t my idea; there’s been plenty of discussion about this on Livejournal and how cool it would be if that’s what the writers meant.
        I've always assumed that Tagan was her mother not father.

2) Teyla naming her son after John is wrong, wrong, so very wrong. Let’s look at who she could have named her son after instead:
        I disagree. She has always had a deep connection and feeling for John not to mention he led a mission to save her while gravely injured.

a) Kanaan turned out to be a disappointment but she could have named him after Kanaan’s father or a male member of his family. She obviously had some feelings for him if she was in a relationship with him so that would have been the respectful thing to do.
        I liked Kanan but don't think it was neccesary to name the child after him.

b) Ronon was the first one who publicly and happily congratulated her on the announcement of her pregnancy. Ronon was the one that held her hand and went to the infirmary with her to make sure she and the baby were okay after major fighting. Ronon has been unfailing in his support of her. Where’s the Ronon love, Teyla?
        She's friendly with Ronon but she has always cared for Shep more.

c) And last but not least; the man who spent 25 years trying to fix the timeline, the man who made it possible to find her, the man who made motivational tapes for the baby while it was still in utero, the man who <i>delivered</i> the baby - Rodney. What more did he need to do to gain Teyla’s appreciation?
        He gained her apreciation and respect but I don't blame her for not naming the child Rodney.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

I'm not sure about what happened with Kanaan. Chances are we'll find out in a later episode. Or he'll completely drop off the radar and we'll never see him/hear about him again LOL.
          He will be mentioned in the next episode.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
            I've always assumed that Tagan was her mother not father.
            Why would you think that? In most cultures, the "family" name is the father's, with people referring to themselves as son of, or daughter of, whomever their father is.

Teyla has referred to, "my father said this", or "my father did that" several times over the course of the show, but has never mentioned her mother once.

Besides, the writers have never given us a reason to think of the Athosians as a female-led society. Halling was obviously in charge after Teyla left.

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell82 View Post
              He gained her apreciation and respect but I don't blame her for not naming the child Rodney.
              You mean Meredith?
              Steve, Bob and Todd. What chummy guys!

Comment

*cough* Meredith Emmagan *rofl* that would be quite funny... I think McKay would hate her for that

As for the first part... I also kinda wondered why Teyla suddenly said 'Torrin' instead of 'Tagan' seeing as, for as far as I know, Tagan was the father... I'm not sure, but I think I recall his name mentioned again in season one and he is referred to as the father... but my memory might fail me on this...

I agree also that calling the baby 'John' is not really the best option, but then again... he was the first one to consider the 'alien outsiders' (Teyla and Ronon) as part of his friends, team and also even family... that made her get great respect for him, I think that also counts for something (don't know what I'm talking about? Watch 'Sateda')

Why would Kanaan have turned out to be a disappointment? She never gave up hope on him and she still loves him, so he never really was a disappointment to her.

It would've been really nice if Teyla had called her kid after Rodney... I totally admit that he did the most effort in saving Teyla and the baby, in the present as well as in the future... yet she doesn't really seem to have much... respect for him in any way, I don't really understand why... maybe it's got something to do with the starter of the episode... where Teyla and John are presumably together on a table, eating dinner and all... some silent hint that they like each other more than they wish to admit...
                Great thanks to Luciana for making this really cool banner!!

Spoiler:

Comment

b) ronon was the first one who publicly and happily congratulated her on the announcement of her pregnancy. Ronon was the one that held her hand and went to the infirmary with her to make sure she and the baby were okay after major fighting. ronon has been unfailing in his support of her. where’s the ronon love, teyla?

C) and last but not least; the man who spent 25 years trying to fix the timeline, the man who made it possible to find her, the man who made motivational tapes for the baby while it was still in utero, the man who delivered the baby - rodney. What more did he need to do to gain teyla’s appreciation?

I know that tptb don’t want us to forget that john is the hero of the show and i’m cool with that. I love john and his dorky faces and gravelly voice and his muppet laugh and the way he is always, always uncomfortable around women in romantic situations. but i don’t want ham-handed ‘connections’ being made between john and teyla to allude to a ‘will they or won’t they?’ relationship. they won’t, if common sense and actually understanding the characters has anything to do with it.
                  ita

Comment

she should've named it after rodney. without a doubt.
                    Vice Admiral and occasionally the Acting Leader of the Gateworld Cantina
                    sigpic

Comment

Yeah, he really deserves it. It doesn't have to be the first name but somewhere in his name Rodney should be mentioned.

Spoiler:
                      By the way McKay did also fix the Timeline to save keller, so it was a little bit selfish, because it could have screwed thing up.

And I doubt the Athosian society is based on woman lineage, Teyla did mention her dad sometimes but NEVER her mother.

Comment

I kinda got the feeling that Teyla's mother had died when she was very young, cause she never mentions her. But that was just my impression. I didn't pick up on that misnaming thing. Good catch people. I suspect that the writers just forgot that they'd already named the father. After all, we know that they don't bother to watch their own episodes unless they have to do a commentary on them, so it is entirely possible that none of the people who wrote this episode had even SEEN the first episode of Atlantis all the way through.

Comment

Well, they might not have seen the finished episode as it's airing, but they sure as hell have seen every cut of the episode, which means they pretty much see each episode a few dozen times.

Comment

I'd also expect the writers to know the basic canon of the universe they're writing in.

Comment

My memory may be a bit shaky, but wasn't it mentioned at some point that Teyla's father was leader of their people before her? That would imply that their society is not necessarily matriarchal, and led me to assume that Tagan was her father (as in "I'm the leader, daughter of the previous leader").

But tptb did have to ask the fans what Lorne's first name is, so it's not all that surprising that they'd forget something like that. A show bible would help, or keep the nitpickers quiet at the very least
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X