Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why doesn't the Sci-Fi allow the SG-1 Fanchise to be sold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why doesn't the Sci-Fi allow the SG-1 Fanchise to be sold?

Okay I would like to know girls/guys why doesn't the Sci-Fi allow the franchise to be purchased by other networks? I don't think they have given a clear indication to why they don't wish to release the rights to the show.

What is the main reason. If other networks wishes to continue the series. I think they should allow other networks to continue.

Originally posted by globex View Post
    Okay I would like to know girls/guys why doesn't the Sci-Fi allow the franchise to be purchased by other networks? I don't think they have given a clear indication to why they don't wish to release the rights to the show.

What is the main reason. If other networks wishes to continue the series. I think they should allow other networks to continue.
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Simple as that.

Comment

In all fairness, where else would it go at this point, anyway? I suppose if Showtime wished to remake a contract with SG-1 or something... aside from that, I'm at a loss for ideas. Spike would be an incredibly slight maybe.
      If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Why would they want to help their competition?

Comment

Would another network even want SG1? It's 10 years old, the main actors have either left or likely wouldn't be around for much longer, and it had dwindling ratings on a network dedicated to the genre.

Comment

Yeah, it's not exactly something anyone else would actively seek. Maybe if RDA were still a major part of SG-1, Spike could go 'well, MacGyver/O'Neill is coming to our network', but outside of that, I just don't see it happening.

SG-1 in its current format is the best those (including myself) who don't feel the quality went down the drain can still hope for. Two hours every few/several months or whatever the case might be, 'til further notice, and all the SG-1 references on SGA we can rabidly seek. It's certainly better than all those series that just... end, when they could well have gone on, no?

And besides... it lasted ten years. And based on personal definition, it's still going.
            If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

It may have gone on for 10 years but so has Doctor who and that show is still brilliant. Sure they have different series of doctor who but its the same doctor who right i.e. character wise not the actual guy performing

I don't care how long a show goes for as long as it puts quality over quantity then I am happy. That's what SG-1 and SGA are doing.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$. Simple as that.
              Maybe, but their main-revenue stream are through either dvd sales. They may fetch some few pennies through re-runs but really I can't seem to see the point. They can continue to "air" the re-runs however, they should allow other networks to purchase the rights so that the show goes back into the usual and proper format(where it belongs). I don't like the show being as a mini-movie. There are too many variables/events that have to removed. The show/movie feels kinda empty. Two hours doesn't cut it for plot development.

Would another network even want SG1? It's 10 years old, the main actors have either left or likely wouldn't be around for much longer, and it had dwindling ratings on a network dedicated to the genre.
              Then how come the last episode of SG-1(awesome) grossed the highest audience ever for the show ? There are times where I actually want someone else to run the show instead of the Sci-Fi channel. They have cancelled soo many good shows which have upset fans and left them in the dark no where else to turn. Furthermore, they have kept retarded and Non-Sci-Fi shows so that they make cheap money from it. To me S09-S10 of SG-1 was the best I have ever seen. The Ori were actually a cool being which I loved to watch. . Mitchel was a very good actor and is.

I can tell you If I had a few billion dollars right now I would purchase the SG franchise(both of them) and immediately start to produce SG-1 series. I wouldn't care about the production cost because, if the fans are given a surprise or are happy they will continue to show greater support for the show and therefore, the show will be a cost effective to keep it running.

Comment

SG-1 and SGA are both owned by MGM. They have probably made a deal with SciFi that gives the network exclusive syndication rights for both shows. That means MGM has found it more lucrative to deal with SciFi than to try to produce more episodes for SG-1.

More SG-1 seasons just isn't practical. Amanda Tapping has already left SGa because she's filming and producing another series. Both Michael Shanks and Chris Judge are also working on new shows. (I don't know what Ben Browder and Claudia Black are currently doing.) The actors simply are no longer available for a continuation of the series. As it is, it would take a lot of schedule juggling to film a new movie.
                sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                May we all be so well loved.

Comment

I don't think there is any solid evidence that they aren't allowing the franchise to be sold to other networks. In fact, I doubt MGM would allow such a clause in their licensing contract.

The real question is whether any other networks are even interested.

Comment

Originally posted by MediaSavant View Post
                    I don't think there is any solid evidence that they aren't allowing the franchise to be sold to other networks. In fact, I doubt MGM would allow such a clause in their licensing contract.

The real question is whether any other networks are even interested.
                    Other than the producers coming right out and saying it?

Comment

Why would you want more of the original series. It could never be as good. I think the only thing they can do at this point is continue the movies and Atlantis and maybe make a 3rd series. It would be cool if they got back to the archeology in a new series.

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                        Dwindling ratings on a network dedicated to the genre?

You realize that when Farscape was cancelled (after it was already renewed, mind you), they aired Braveheart. That was the beginning of the end, IMO.

I think its not about the viewers/show failing the network, rather the network failing the viewers/show.

Comment

Is FOX owned by the same company as SciFi? Because I have seen episodes of SG-1 on that channel.
                          Steve, Bob and Todd. What chummy guys!

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                            Since they continue to show it on Sci-Fi, why would they give it away to some other network?

Comment

Ben Browder is writing a series called 'Going Homer' (about the Greek travels) - which while I don't think has been given the go ahead as a pilot has been picked up for development but I don't remember by whom

Originally posted by A Wraith Named Bob View Post
                              Is FOX owned by the same company as SciFi? Because I have seen episodes of SG-1 on that channel.
                              That's your local Fox station buying syndication rights for their area.
                              sigpic

To see the complete animated picture timeline of the comet landing - http://xkcd1446.org/#7

From the wonderful XKCD site http://xkcd.com/1446/

Comment

Working...
                              X