No More Babylon 5 For Foreseeable Future

Writes JMS:

So I've let everyone up here know that I'm not interested in doing any
    more low-budget DVDs. I'm not interested in doing any low-budget
    cable things or small computer games. The only thing I would be
    interested in doing regarding Babylon 5 from this point on is a full-
    featured, big-budget feature film.

It's that or nothing.
    I think that's wise considering, no matter fanboy reactions otherwise, Legend of the Rangers and The Lost Tales just weren't that good. JMS seems to agree:

I don't regret having made them, because I needed to go through that to get to the point where I am now psychologically, but from where I sit now, I wouldn't make them again.
    Here's hoping a Babylon 5 movie is somewhere in our future. Given the work JMS is finally doing on the silver screen at this time, if things go well for him he might finally have the opportunity to get what he wants.

frak.....
    Stolen Kosovo
    sigpic

Comment

Well I haven't seen the movies but this is sad
      sigpic
      My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
      poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

This is a dark day indeed..........So.........how many skulls do i have to beat in for them to make a full, big budget feature?

*gets cricket bat*
        Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

that is a bit depressing I really like the B5 stuff

for the record, you only need to beat one head in, it just needs to be the right one, then it would be like domino's falling in place. unfortunately I am now sure who that would be.

I am hoping for a big movie.

Comment

Originally posted by dmbjohn View Post
            that is a bit depressing I really like the B5 stuff

for the record, you only need to beat one head in, it just needs to be the right one, then it would be like domino's falling in place. unfortunately I am now sure who that would be.

I am hoping for a big movie.
            In that case I'd have to do it like Garibaldi. Can't remember which episode it is now, But it was the one where in the end he'd chased down the bad guy and had him up against the wall so Garibaldi was firing PPG blasts next to his head telling him how bad a day he'd been having.
            Please do me a huge favour and help me be with the love of my life.

Comment

Aww man, I was hoping for a story on the Telepath Wars or something, I guess not.

But I'm all for a real B5 movie.
              Folding@Home|Babylon 5 Canon Guide

Delenn: This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw,...or be destroyed.
              Earth Captain: Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship.
              Delenn: Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else.
              --Babylon 5 - "Severed Dreams"

Comment

He got only 2 million for Lost Tales? I didn't like it because of the low-budget feeling and bad stories, but the animations were fantastic. But JMS can't make a better movie from so less money. The actors became old or died (G'Kar, Dr. Franklin). The fans grown up. The spin-off Crusade failed. The other spin-off idea, the Rangers didn't get a season pick-up. So I am sorry, but I think they should let this scifi world rest in peace.
                "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Originally posted by Platschu View Post
                  He got only 2 million for Lost Tales? I didn't like it because of the low-budget feeling and bad stories, but the animations were fantastic. But JMS can't make a better movie from so less money. The actors became old or died (G'Kar, Dr. Franklin). The fans grown up. The spin-off Crusade failed. The other spin-off idea, the Rangers didn't get a season pick-up. So I am sorry, but I think they should let this scifi world rest in peace.
                  In defense of Crusade JMS has said in the past the reason it didn't get picked up for a second season was because TNT wanted to turn it into Baywatch in space. And that, in the second season, the main story would have kicked in. A lot like Babylon 5's main story didn't really kick in until season 2.

Legend of the Rangers didn't get picked up because it was awful. That's it.

Comment

Good for JMS. Warner Bros. seems to be squandering an amazing science fiction franchise in an era where SF&F is experiencing something of a renaissance on TV and in film. They don't quite know what to do with B5, and so they do nothing.

B5 hasn't been good since Crusade. I hope WB gets its act together and puts major money and effort into it.
                    GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
                    The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
                    Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Or else they give up the franchise for someone else who'd be willing to finance it.
                      sigpic

Comment

If anyone can make quality Scifi with no money its JMS. That said it almost killed him and considering where he is right now being able to pick and chose from some of the best projects Hollywood has to offer as well as getting to writing the comic books the way he wants to(more or less). There is no reason in the world he should have to kill himself to make WB happy when they have done next to nothing over the years to help Babylon 5 along. JMS picked up that station on his back and carried it to where it is today. And it still holds up (well the first season I have issues with but that was true when it came out too =)).

Good for him for putting his foot down also since he has the rights to the Feature film which means that he was finally get paid for all that work he did. I know that Babylon was a labor of love for JMS he has said as much but WB has done nothing but ask for him to work almost for free by Hollywood standards while they make millions. Its a business and thats what they do but JMS writer and this what he can do. Also I think that "premiere" at a Best Buy in LA for Lost Tales that WB did nothing to get people to show up too. I'm sure didn't help.
                        "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Its really sad, This show is really fantastic.I 'll miss it.

Comment

Well, I'm glad he said that. I don't think they'll ever get a big movie though... sadly too many actors have passed on, or are in celebrity rehab or have been alienated for one reason or another. The band just ain't getting back together.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Amalthea View Post
                              Well, I'm glad he said that. I don't think they'll ever get a big movie though... sadly too many actors have passed on, or are in celebrity rehab or have been alienated for one reason or another. The band just ain't getting back together.
                              Of the original cast only Richard Biggs, and Andreas Katsulas are dead
                              Jeff Conaway has some Rehab issues but seems like he would be able to work if they need him.

And Claudia Christian I'm sure would burry the hachet if the money was right. By all accounts she still gets along with all the cast.

Other than that everyone else is alive and well. And still saying when asked they would be happy to revisit B5. Peter Jurasik has said its the only role he would come out of retirement to do. So I think the actors are there its just a matter of JMS having the money and the creative control to make a movie that will use them all well.
                              "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOW - What a RIDE!"

Comment

Working...
                              X