Asgard Explosive Suppression Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Asgard Explosive Suppression Systems

Remember this awesome Asgard technology? If not, here is the definition from Wikipedia.

Asgard ships possess a system of unknown nature (mentioned in Nemesis), that prevents explosions from occurring onboard a ship. As a result, many of the tactics used against Go'auld ships from the inside, by less advanced races (grenades, C4 and nuclear devices), would be rendered useless on Asgard ships.
    So why is it that we still see explosions on Earth ships? Is it that the Asgard never installed this technology on any earth ships with shields and beam technology? That's unlikely considering it's not something that can be used for offensive purposes, it's entirely defensive. And if so, now that we have all the Asgard tech, I expect it to have been implemented in the Odyssey upgrade the Asgard did in "Unending." Yet, we still saw multiple explosions on the bridge during the the fight with the Ori ships in that episode.

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
    Remember this awesome Asgard technology? If not, here is the definition from Wikipedia.

So why is it that we still see explosions on Earth ships? Is it that the Asgard never installed this technology on any earth ships with shields and beam technology? That's unlikely considering it's not something that can be used for offensive purposes, it's entirely defensive. And if so, now that we have all the Asgard tech, I expect it to have been implemented in the Odyssey upgrade the Asgard did in "Unending." Yet, we still saw multiple explosions on the bridge during the the fight with the Ori ships in that episode.
    Well, it could be in place and those explosion could have been much worse if it wasn't. Or it could be they were more concerned with the beam weapons and Asgard computer and left everything else for the Tuari to add.

The most likely answer is that it was mentioned in one episode so the plot required them to leave the ship for dramatic effect; so it's probably going to be continuously overlooked.

Comment

Does it say this technology prevents explosions from overloaded circuits, because if it doesn't then those explosions on the Odysseys's bridge have nothing to do with it as they weren't caused by an explosive device. My guess is the technology scans for explosives and then somehow renders them inert, rather than just magically preventing all explosions.
      All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing-Edmund Burke

The question which once haunted my being has been answered. The future is not fixed, and my choices are my own... and yet, how ironic! For I now find, I have no choice at all! I am warrior... let the battle be joined.-Dinobot-Code of Hero

Don't blame me, I voted Cthulhu

Comment

Originally posted by Myles View Post
        The most likely answer is that it was mentioned in one episode so the plot required them to leave the ship for dramatic effect; so it's probably going to be continuously overlooked.
        I agree. I a man of consistency, and when I don't get it, It makes me a sad panda. I wish the writers would stop ignoring show canon when they see fit.

Does it say this technology prevents explosions from overloaded circuits, because if it doesn't then those explosions on the Odysseys's bridge have nothing to do with it as they weren't caused by an explosive device. My guess is the technology scans for explosives and then somehow renders them inert, rather than just magically preventing all explosions.
        Well, the way the technology was explained was that it prevented explosions from happening inside the ship. I took that to mean that things will not explode inside the ship, whether it's a bomb or overloaded circuit, or whatever.

Comment

it slows down extreme chemical reactions, thus slowing a C-4 reaction, and it would mean there wont be an explosion, just a "burn"

Comment

We know they don't stop all explosions inside a ship as we've seen SG1 using varios Earth projectile weapons on Asgard ships which as most people know are explosively projected out of the gun, Therefore it is selective about what it does and does not dampen.

304's also don't have huge power generation capabilities and its safe to assume with all the systems on the ship working at once the ships Naquadah generators would'nt be capable of powering systems such as Weapons (Railguns and beams take a huge amount of power) and life support, sensors sublight and shields.

Also every enemy we fight ATM uses energy weapons (Wraith, Micheal, lucian alliance, ORI) and considering projectile weapons aren't brilliant against shields the shields will be able to hold out most undersirable weapons.

So no point yet and not enough power. Wait intill we can build ships with NIG and the room to store the systems.
            if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

But explosions are cool.
              Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
              Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                it slows down extreme chemical reactions, thus slowing a C-4 reaction, and it would mean there wont be an explosion, just a "burn"
                Really ok, just from reading what I could about it I presumed that it didn't prevent the explosion from happening but it prevented the explosion from affecting the ships key systems to a degree that it would destroy the ship and it crew.

Comment

From what I remember Thor (correct me if I'm wrong) clearly said the wall were built to absorb the energy of the explosion.

Comment

Originally posted by BigTerry View Post
                    From what I remember Thor (correct me if I'm wrong) clearly said the wall were built to absorb the energy of the explosion.
                    Actually his exact words were: "All Asgard ships are equipped with internal dampening fields that activate in the event of an explosion."

Exactly how it works is not reveiled.
                    Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
                    Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Originally posted by jrd231 View Post
                      I agree. I a man of consistency, and when I don't get it, It makes me a sad panda. I wish the writers would stop ignoring show canon when they see fit.
                      It was never said the Asgard gave Earth ships all of their non-offensive technology. It was just said that they wanted to thank Earth so they picked a few things to add on. So it's by no means a consistency issue.

Comment

We do have that technology as its in the Asgard core which contains all Asgard knowledge and technology so therefore we do have it. We just don't have it implemented.
                        if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

the dampening technology, as of logic, would either dampen the explosion, or a more asgard way is to dampen the chemical reaction speed, slowing it down and becoming a rapid burn, as opposed to a direct explosion

Comment

Maybe we have, remember in Allies two hives fired on the Daedalus close to the brigde and only some spark were seen and a shockwave.

Comment

that was before unending......

Comment

Working...
                              X