Shields and Beaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shields and Beaming

OK for those of u who have not seen it and such this is fair Warning...

SPOILERS, SPOILERS

Ok first thing i know this has probalby been discused before on this thing but i am in a hurry and didn't wnat to take the time to find it...

In S&R Caldwell states they must drop the shileds to beam up and but i have never seen or noticed in all my vewing hours of Stargate that the shields must be lowerd to allow beam through, but why all of a sudden do they have to lower the shields, please discuss..

*my theory* the writers jsut needed a way for the Wriath Cruiser weapons to take out major and vital areas of the ship in order to keep caldwell and the team there long enouhg to save

I'm usely more in depth in this stuf and bring out billions of points but i'm i na hurry so forgive the sloppy work...
    sigpic

As far as I know, they have always had to drop the shields when beaming someone aboard.
    Steve, Bob and Todd. What chummy guys!

Comment

Originally posted by A Wraith Named Bob View Post
      As far as I know, they have always had to drop the shields when beaming someone aboard.
      Yes they have, and the same goes for ring transports.
      || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
        Yes they have, and the same goes for ring transports.
        No
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

The sheilds are one-way, in order to beam things out like nukes, the shields can stay up, the same with launching 302's. But to beam things in you have to lower them...

Plus I think that possibly in almost every other instance of people being "beamed out" the Daed wasn't in an almost point-blank fire fight with wraith.
          sigpic

Comment

This is completely false.

In No Man's Land, when the Daedalus was being pounded by the wraith hive, i dont remember them lowering the shields while beaming sheppard and co. from the wraith transport.

Remember SG1's off the grid? The odyssey was being fired upon by Lucian alliance ships and they beamed all those stargates on without lowering shields.

Remember in SG-1's revelations? Teal'c stated that Anubis' mothership would not lower the shields when anubis transported aboard through the rings, and that they would merely adjust the frequency to allow the matter stream.

The daedalus lowering the shields in this episode to beam sheppard out was completely out of canon and a stupid lame way to keep the story running.

And remember SG1's second season's opener? Apophis's mothership still had its shields up while SG1 ringed aboard.

IN fact, i seriously doubt there has EVER been an instance in stargate where they lowered the shields to allow for transport, except when to beam INTO an enemy ship, where their shields would not adjust frequencies. They just stole the idea from star trek.

Comment

Originally posted by A Wraith Named Bob View Post
              Well, I would love to think that's true, but No Man's Land had the Daedy beam up Shep and Co. from the Wraith transport with shields still up.

Is there a specific example where shields had to be dropped to beam someone aboard? All we need is 1 that happened before No Man's Land.

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                No
                In 'Revelation' Teal'C said the ship would have to adjust the frequency to let Anubis ring aboard. So the matter stream wouldn't have passed through a full shield.
                || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

It's accepted sci-fi-ness that shields must be lowered do to beaming. Talk to Kirk if there are further problems.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                    In 'Revelation' Teal'C said the ship would have to adjust the frequency to let Anubis ring aboard. So the matter stream wouldn't have passed through a full shield.
                    Frequency has nothing to do with shield strength. It's just the type of wave that you are emitting which needs to be matched by something else in order to pass through.

For example, the Daedalus has beamed things through Atlantis' shields before and although they haven't addressed how that happened, one would assume it's simply because the Daedalus knows what frequency the shields are operating on and can match it when beaming. It's basically a code, nothing more.
                    Last edited by Xaeden; 13 July 2008, 02:25 PM.

Comment

The only reason I can come up with for the change is that it has something to do with having an Asgard at the controls, as far as I can remember they've only beamed through shields with an Asgard on board. I agree that it's probably just a goof though, but if they can explain it away that'll do for me.

Comment

they wanted to make it more interesting and "cool". It's quite simple
                        Stolen Kosovo
                        sigpic

Comment

Green. You are completely Correct. There should have been no reason to lower shields in order to beam. Never has that been needed.
                          sigpic
                          You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                          Stargate : Genesis |
                          Original Starship DesignThread
                          Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                          11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                            Green. You are completely Correct. There should have been no reason to lower shields in order to beam. Never has that been needed.
                            But Picardo is on the show now, so there needs to be a little Star Trek consistency here. LOL
                            sigpic

Comment

About the best theory I can think of is that the cruiser was close enough so its EM dampening field interfered with Daedalus's transport, but not so much that the transport couldn't happen. Don't forget that no mention of lowering shields was made when the team was beamed off the cruiser AFTER the EM field had been turned off.
                              When the time comes to utilize Earth's best weaponry against an ailen threat. The weapon that will ultimately prove to be Earth's best will be the Zatnikitel
                              Zatnikitelman

Comment

Working...
                              X