Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wait, what?! The writers being bold and exciting and trying new things?! (spoilers)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wait, what?! The writers being bold and exciting and trying new things?! (spoilers)

What?!

An alternate universe/timeline/cookie dimension complete with an alt!Jack and an alt!Sam where the two aren't together (lack of affection, lack of "ZOMG! Dead wife/girlfriend!", lack of anything, really, from alt!Jack), nor do they get together, ever?!

Madness! And people have the nerve to complain about how "Continuum" didn't have that much new and creative writing in it!

Well, to be fair Sam was dead.

But indeed, very creative.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nikki View Post
      Well, to be fair Sam was dead.

But indeed, very creative.
      So? They had decades before Sam died to meet somewhere and fall in love. It's an alternate timeline after all, for one thing, Jack's son is still alive (and he's probably still married to Sara, but, hey, true love and all, Sam should've stormed in there, broken up their marriage and stormed off with Jack in tow).

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
        So? They had decades before Sam died to meet somewhere and fall in love. It's an alternate timeline after all, for one thing, Jack's son is still alive (and he's probably still married to Sara, but, hey, true love and all, Sam should've stormed in there, broken up their marriage and stormed off with Jack in tow).
        They did have decades but like you said the writers were being "creative and exciting" and never had them meet so they can't fall in love if they never met.

(Credit to RepliCartertje for the beautiful sig and to Mala for smilies.)

Comment

Well, I understand the point of this thread is just to rile up S/J shippers, but it is kind of an interesting topic.

The writers wanted to show how very different all of their lives would have been without the Stargate. Jack and Sam would never have met. Sam would have been an astronaut like she always wanted to be (And Jacob wanted her to be, as well). Daniel remained an obscure, ostracized scholar.

What I can't figure out is how that ties in to Jack's kid never having killed himself. I guess we are to chalk it up to the beat of a butterfly's wing or Brownian motion or whatever, but it didn't make a lot of sense considering everything else follow clear lines of cause and effect. Jack's child's death should have been independent of the Stargate's existence.

I also can't figure out why Jack was still working. I kind of got the feeling that if the world didn't need saving, he'd rather be fishing. In Affinity he even said he "Wouldn't be here," if "things were different." So why is he out traipsing around on the ice? The only thing that made sense about that was that he was still a colonel.

Comment

Originally posted by VSS View Post
            Well, I understand the point of this thread is just to rile up S/J shippers, but it is kind of an interesting topic.
            It was more of a humorous way of bringing up how, for once, we didn't have an alternate something storyline where there wasn't random spontaneous shipping (that would be undone by the end) in general (like Daniel & Vala in "Unending") and S & J in particular (like, oh, every other alternate something storyline besides a select few).

I mean, what's going on here? Plot hole? Did the writers forget? It can't possibly be that they finally wised up and realized that people hate these alternate something random ships.

Comment

I also wanted to add that our Sam has been around this barbeque before. She knows very well that AT Jack isn't the Jack she knows. Although it's kind of sweet the way she looks up when Jack mentions Charlie.

Comment

It was more of a humorous way of bringing up how, for once, we didn't have an alternate something storyline where there wasn't random spontaneous shipping (that would be undone by the end) in general (like Daniel & Vala in "Unending") and S & J in particular (like, oh, every other alternate something storyline besides a select few).

I mean, what's going on here? Plot hole? Did the writers forget? It can't possibly be that they finally wised up and realized that people hate these alternate something random ships.

Anyway, I found "Continuum"'s casuality writing to be very bad. It wasn't just that there was no Stargate, which would've changed tons of things since there were a lot of people involved in the program before Sam, Jack and Daniel were, but Ba'al also killed a boatfull of people!

People who would later beget kids who would beget kids of their own. With the Butterfly Effect, this should all have changed things considerably, yet Sam, Jack and Daniel are largely still the same sans Stargate program?!

I mean, in "Moebius", the team went back 10,000 years and tried not to change anything, yet in the alternate timeline, their alternate selves were completely different.

Comment

Ah, but they did, didn't they? With Vala/Ba'al.

Comment

Qetesh/Baal
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Oh my god, you're right!

Damn those sneaky writers for making it such an integral part of plot that it almost slipped past me. Then again, it wasn't Vala, it was Qetesh and Qetesh was obviously not in love with Ba'al, she was just his love-monkey-slave. So it's kinda not the same thing.

But still, no Sam & Jack?! I mean, in "Unending", there was no Jack because RDA couldn't/didn't want to be in it. But in "Continuum", both alt!Jack and alt!Sam existed, yet, no shipping? Unheard of! Also, I edited my post before you replied to it/while you were replying to it.

Comment

But still, no Sam & Jack?! I mean, in "Unending", there was no Jack because RDA couldn't/didn't want to be in it. But in "Continuum", both alt!Jack and alt!Sam existed, yet, no shipping? Unheard of! Also, I edited my post before you replied to it/while you were replying to it.
                        there were at least two S/J scenes in Continuum imo but you're right there was no AT S/AT J or S/AT J
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                          Qetesh/Baal
                          I forgot how to spell Qetesh... Qe'tesh... Qu'tesh...

Comment

I forgot how to spell Qetesh... Qe'tesh... Qu'tesh...
                            not sure but according to this it's Qetesh
                            sigpic

Comment

Oh my god, you're right!

Damn those sneaky writers for making it such an integral part of plot that it almost slipped past me. Then again, it wasn't Vala, it was Qetesh and Qetesh was obviously not in love with Ba'al, she was just his love-monkey-slave. So it's kinda not the same thing.

See, this really is about riling up S/J fans.

But regarding the causality in Moebius, 10,000 years is a very long time. Any change would have been magnified by several orders of magnitude. Although it could explain why all the people on other worlds speak English.

My problem is with the causality in Continuum. It isn't internally consistent.

Comment

Working...
                              X