Search and Rescue Special Effects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Search and Rescue Special Effects

Well what did yall think of S&R's Special effect? I for one tought they were outstanding. But i want to here what you have to say
    Carl Sagan on Nuclear self Destruction

The one zooming to the crusier was terrible but I enjoyed the rest
    Originally posted by aretood2
    Jelgate is right

Comment

What?! That was one of the best shots!

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
        What?! That was one of the best shots!
        Yeah, I liked that too.

My favorite part is probably the more chaotic battle scene. The more 302s vs Darts the better.
        || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

At the beginning, I commented to my roommate, "Hmm. Looks like someone watched Battlestar."

I thought the FX were nicely done. CG-wise, my favorite show is BSG by far, mostly for the execution of the computer-generated effects, and its marvelous use of Lightwave. I also like the fact that their ships don't bank when they're in space (spaceships don't need to; their maneuvering thrusters control their direction and banking the ship isn't necessary).

Atlantis and BSG have very different looks, CG-wise; perhaps it isn't fair to compare them. I do know I like the BSG look better, though.

(I want more shots of Atlantis, CLOSE-UP. I want the team to go out into the city for some reason. I want to see it from ground level. It's a CITY. Where are the promenades? Where are the scenic views? WHERE'S THE FRAKING SIDEWALK?)

Can ye tell me why th' pirate jokes are so funny?

Because they Arrrrrrr.

Comment

My favorite BY FAR was when the Deadalus shot Michael's cuiser as it was entering hyperspace. It was a truly amazing CGI affect!

Comment

Originally posted by gilliaf View Post
              My favorite BY FAR was when the Deadalus shot Michael's cuiser as it was entering hyperspace. It was a truly amazing CGI affect!
              I'm so spoiled from watching BSG this whole time, but I forgot how flourished the CGI in Atlantis has become. That was a great moment, it's nice to see the last-second shot pay off for a change.

It's also nice to see Staite in the credits (with the alliance battle against the Replicators in the background no less)

Comment

Yea- its also nice to see that the daedalus doesn't start to lose every system as soon as a wraith hive ship looses one shot at it.

1 shot= daedalus losing all main systems, shields down to 30%.....
                WTF!!!!!!!
                That is all.
                The Communist Party!
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nchewbacca View Post
                  Yea- its also nice to see that the daedalus doesn't start to lose every system as soon as a wraith hive ship looses one shot at it.

1 shot= daedalus losing all main systems, shields down to 30%.....
                  WTF!!!!!!!
                  I don't know what this has to do with the topic, but their shields were holding around 80% after multiple shots. Then the Daedalus took their shields down to beam Sheppard and Ronon up (which is the real weird thing if you ask me). At which point the Cruiser scored several direct hits to the Daedalus' hull (6 happened on screen and a bunch more seemed to happen when they cut to sparks flying in on the bridge). The Daedalus then put their shields back up and found that most of their systems were down. And after who knows how much longer of taking damage with the shields back up, they said they were down to 20% (the Cruiser kept firing in the background while Carter and Mckay worked on getting lifesupport back on, while Sheppard talked to Keller about his injury, and while they explained their plan on the bridge before the figure of 20% was thrown out there).
                  Last edited by Xaeden; 12 July 2008, 11:48 AM.

Comment

No kidding, the planet to planet thing was O.O and will make an awesome screen saver!

Really gave a sense of the size and distance. So often we forget the scope of the galaxy because gates make it 2 steps away. Theres more than the area around the stargate. Theres MASSIVE distances even between the closest things.

Comment

My favourite shots were the hyperspace window falling apart and the establishing shot of Atlantis, that was quality.

Last edited by jenks; 12 July 2008, 01:22 PM.

Comment

I also loved the part when they shot the wraith cruiser just as it was trying to jump into hyperspace. That looked awesome!

But the long drawn out view of planets flying by as we eventually... maybe... someday... get to Michael's cruiser... that was irritating. I'm not actually complaining about the quality of the special effects. I thought it looked pretty cool. But I am complaining about the reason for using those shots. It felt like they were adding special effects to fill up space. And if their only point was to emphasize the distance, than it wasn't worth it in the long run. At least, that's my personal opinion.
                        Chief of the GGP (Gateworld Grammar Police). Punctuation is your friend. Use it!

Great happy armies shall be gathered and trained to oppose all who embrace doubt. In the name of Hope, ships shall be built to carry our disciples out amongst the stars, and we will spread Optimism to all the doubters. The power of the Optimi will be felt far and wide, and the pessimists shall become positive-thinkers.
                        Hallowed are the Optimi.

Comment

Yeah I think that was just put in for teh cool factor.

Comment

The planet thing was pretty sweet. I also liked when the cruiser tried to enter hyper space and it just got thrown aside. and when the hyperdrive exploded that was cool too.

Comment

I thought the CG effects for this episode were great.

Even though I thought that the shot where they zoomed to Michael's cruiser was cool, I felt that it was a little too long. It was made a little annoying also by the increasing noise which I found irritating. But the shot was nice nonetheless.

The space battle was great as well. I enjoy it when they do Dart and 302 fights.

Even some of the smaller shots, like the Dart bay on Michaels cruiser and the hyperdrive core room, I though were well done and well blended with the real-time footage.

My favorite shot by far, and some others have said this as well, was the shot where Michael's hyperspace window failed to open. It was a cool effect and what happened was something I'd never thought of. And finally, they kept a Wraith ship from escaping. It was a great shot.

I thought overall the episode was great. I felt that the acting was much better, especially from Joe Flannigan and Jason Momoa. I felt that McKay was better this time around as well. He wasn't as annoying as he can be usually. It was a great Season Premiere.
                              Steve, Bob and Todd. What chummy guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X