PDA

View Full Version : Michael Greenburg Talks Season 9

Butterfly-Dreamer
November 6th, 2004, 10:28 AM
This is taken from "http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com"

MICHAEL GREENBURG TALKS SEASON 9

With grateful thanks to roving reporter Sally Allan for the scoop on Michael Greenburg’s panel at London’s Film and Comic Con this morning:

Greenburg confirmed for fans that series lead Richard Dean Anderson, who plays General Jack O'Neill, will be appearing in just *4* episodes total in Season 9.

Season 9 has yet to be officially confirmed by Sci Fi Channel and MGM.

Amanda Tapping, who plays Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter, is expecting her first child and will be returning to the show in March 2005. It is not known how this will affect her appearances in the episodes filmed during the first half of the season.

Well if this is confirmation of season nine then Hurra!!
But RDA only in 4 episodes :eek: I cant believe it!!!

What do you lot think? Is this confirmation enough of a ninth season or do we need MGM or Sci-fi to anounce it properly?

Here's a direct link for anyone who's interested
http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/ipw-web/b2/index.php?p=159&c=1

Erik Pasternak
November 6th, 2004, 10:30 AM
This sounds like great news for some, and bad news for others. It also probably belongs in the Stargate News section.

Major Fischer
November 6th, 2004, 10:32 AM
And Flanigan talked about Atlantis Season 2 recently. My guess is still that both shows next seasons will be confirmed in the next issue of the Official Magazine.

Klems
November 6th, 2004, 10:37 AM
*4* episodes with RDA. You have to be kidding me.

Anubis
November 6th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Of course this is good news that there could be a ninth season. I'm hoping for a second season of Atlantis as is many people. :)

Four episodes for RDA? I think it would be better just to write him out than have him for only four episodes.

Jonisa
November 6th, 2004, 10:40 AM
Interesting. My first thought? Only four episodes? Why bother?

Then again I know there are many people who feel like Stargate isn't Stargate without Jack, so at least there are those four episodes for them. Hopefully they'll be really good episodes with lots of RDA for all the Jack fans out there, and they'll use those episodes to find a good way to explain his absence. :)

Personally, I hope this does mean we'll get a Season 9. I don't watch for just Jack, and I love Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c together, so it sounds good to me.

However, I'm not counting on a Season 9 until we hear an official announcement. I'm cautious that way. Can't wait to hear for sure one way or another.

Major Fischer
November 6th, 2004, 12:01 PM
I think that it might be more productive for those of you who are angry about their only being four RDA episodes (if this information is correct), to think of it as four more episodes than you would have had without a ninth season.

I have trouble honestly, having sympathy for the idea that other people should be unhappy for getting at least some of what they want rather than getting something we all knew wasn't going to happen.

I would prefer four episodes where RDA was engaged and involved in the plot than what we have now.

Skydiver
November 6th, 2004, 12:14 PM
one thing that's odd....amanda's returning in march?
she's due in march. march 15th i believe.

now, just because she's given birth recently doesn't mean that she can't be on the show, gillian anderson certainly didn't take much maternity leave, and amanda can do whatever she wants of course, but it's just a little bit odd is all.

i'm sure, should she choose to return so soon, that bridge will do everything they can to accomodate her and her needs

MartoufMarty
November 6th, 2004, 12:16 PM
I'm not really sure I want to see a season 9. But if there is one, I'm sure as hell gonna watch it. I don't think that Stargate SG-1 is as good as it used to be. But that could just be me.

I wonder how the rest of this season is gonna turn out...

Skydiver
November 6th, 2004, 12:24 PM
I'm not really sure I want to see a season 9. But if there is one, I'm sure as hell gonna watch it. I don't think that Stargate SG-1 is as good as it used to be. But that could just be me.

I wonder how the rest of this season is gonna turn out...

same here. thus far, while stargate's quality has certanly taken a dip lately, it's not quite as bad as andromeda or enterprise, both of which i've stopped watching (although i do catch enterprise upon occasion)

course, you know, this is why tptb know that, even if they crank out crud, it doesn't matter. folks will watch long enough to sell ads and make mgm money

Janus
November 6th, 2004, 12:27 PM
Of course this is good news that there could be a ninth season. I'm hoping for a second season of Atlantis as is many people. :)

Four episodes for RDA? I think it would be better just to write him out than have him for only four episodes.

Well, they could be beginning the 9th season with a four episode-arc.
And have O'Neill written out somewhere along the way....

MartoufMarty
November 6th, 2004, 12:34 PM
same here. thus far, while stargate's quality has certanly taken a dip lately, it's not quite as bad as andromeda or enterprise, both of which i've stopped watching (although i do catch enterprise upon occasion)

course, you know, this is why tptb know that, even if they crank out crud, it doesn't matter. folks will watch long enough to sell ads and make mgm money
Oh god Andromeda was just bad from the start. They had a few good episodes and that's about it. I actually kind of like Enterprise. I watch it every now and then.

Anubis
November 6th, 2004, 12:48 PM
Well, they could be beginning the 9th season with a four episode-arc.
And have O'Neill written out somewhere along the way....

I think that could work, as long as it was done correctly, and we actually see some good on-screen appearance from him if he was to be written out throughout four episodes. That would settle me. :)

Slainte
November 6th, 2004, 12:48 PM
This is taken from "http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com"

MICHAEL GREENBURG TALKS SEASON 9

With grateful thanks to roving reporter Sally Allan for the scoop on Michael Greenburg’s panel at London’s Film and Comic Con this morning:

Greenburg confirmed for fans that series lead Richard Dean Anderson, who plays General Jack O'Neill, will be appearing in just *4* episodes total in Season 9.

Season 9 has yet to be officially confirmed by Sci Fi Channel and MGM.

Amanda Tapping, who plays Lt. Colonel Samantha Carter, is expecting her first child and will be returning to the show in March 2005. It is not known how this will affect her appearances in the episodes filmed during the first half of the season.

Well if this is confirmation of season nine then Hurra!!
But RDA only in 4 episodes :eek: I cant believe it!!!

What do you lot think? Is this confirmation enough of a ninth season or do we need MGM or Sci-fi to anounce it properly?

Here's a direct link for anyone who's interested
http://stargate-sg1-solutions.com/ipw-web/b2/index.php?p=159&c=1

With JF talking S2 for Atlantis, AT talking about returning in March and now Greenburg's comments, I get the impression that SciFi is dragging it's respective heels and the comments are meant to keep the pot boiling, so to speak :) . I keep thinking "tick, tick" time's rushing by and the announcements need to be made.

Wass
November 6th, 2004, 12:50 PM
I think the signs are good for season 9 and I agree with Major Fischer that there is good chance the official confirmation will come in next issues of official stargate magazine. The reason I don’t want season 9 is because I think any show should end when the show is at the top, with RDA likely to reduced his appearance weather the show can be as successful as it is with him is something that really bothers me. On a positive note if there is a season 9, stargate will become the longest running sci-fi show.

Erik Pasternak
November 6th, 2004, 12:51 PM
Actually Wass, it would tie with the X-Files, but still...

ShadowMaat
November 6th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Frankly, I think it speaks more of the greed and desperation of the people involved than anything else. If true, that's the end of my Stargate-watching days. They lost most chance of going out with a bang when they signed up for S7. S8 started off well, but has been shambling badly ever since. And if there's a season 9... gods. I'm sorry, but that's just sad. Neg me all you want, but as far as I'm concerned, the show has lot its creative edge and if TPTB had any sense they'd pull the plug before it got embarrassing. They're already resorting to soap opera plots and recycled material. Do you really think they can be consistently better next season? Especially knowing they're losing their "powerhouse" player, RDA?

Ah well. I'll try and be happy for everyone else. IF this is true, you got exactly what you wanted: another season of Stargate SG-1. Forgive me if I'm reminded of the adage "Be careful what you wish for."

Congrats to everyone, if it's true. I hope you all enjoy it immensely. I'll stick with Atlantis S2 and be happy with that, instead. ;)

Shipperahoy
November 6th, 2004, 12:55 PM
It feels to me like they're just trying to wring this franchise out for every drop that they can get. I, for one, am one of those people that feels that RDA is a huge part of the show and am not sure if it won't be a big detrement to the show with him there for only 4 episodes. I would really rather have it end at season 8 and then have a movie where all 4 of the main characters could play a large part in it rather than have a season with one integral part of the team almost completely absent. But if a season 9 without RDA is the way that they choose to go I'll give it a shot. If I hate it I don't have to watch it.

keshou
November 6th, 2004, 01:00 PM
I'm not that crazy about a 9th season. I'd just as soon they end the 8th season with a run of good episodes and go out on a high note. But sounds like S9 is possible (although I'm going to wait for the official announcement) so I hope they can find a way to make all this work.

RDA for 4 episodes doesn't surprise me - I thought he might have -0- episodes actually. If they can incorporate his absence into a quality story arc for Jack and the rest of the team AND this helps with their crazy non-linear production schedule it might work.

Sam, Daniel and Teal'c would be poised to carry most of the load, with Sam being lighter in the first part of the season. Again, I hope they use the opportunity to make an interesting story arc for Sam instead of just trying to cover her absence.

I still think they need another character or two on board. I'm not sure these three can carry a whole season's worth of shows without introducing some new dynamics into the mix.

Funny, part of me is a little happy because I truly do love these characters and hate to lose them. :) But mostly I'd hate for them to try and make this work and it end up being a last gasp type of season where I struggle to continue watching. :(

ETA: If they're going to add someone to the cast I want to keep throwing Adam Baldwin's (Dixon) name out there. *tosses Adam Baldwin into the thread* :D

shockwave
November 6th, 2004, 01:08 PM
woohoo season nine. And RDA still in some episodes. Although I always expected that, if they would make S9, RDA would make a few guest appearances.

Wass
November 6th, 2004, 01:17 PM
Frankly, I think it speaks more of the greed and desperation of the people involved than anything else.

I have to agree with shadow money is driving this more then any thing else, ratings might be a factor but as the like to say "money talks".

If true, that's the end of my Stargate-watching days. They lost most chance of going out with a bang when they signed up for S7. S8 started off well, but has been shambling badly ever since.

LOL, I think you said that last season as well. :D

ShadowMaat
November 6th, 2004, 01:30 PM
LOL, I think you said that last season as well. :D
I did. And IMO I was right about S7, it was 98% crap with a few good eps tossed in. I gave S8 a shot anyway on the off chance that TPTB could actually manage to pull the fat from the fire and for the first couple of eps they did. But, IMO, things have been declining steadily since then and I've started skipping eps again. I'm watching SG-1 for the plots, not to see who's sleeping with whom and which character is dating what but is really in love with whom. If I wanted that, I'd watch a soap opera. Or Desperate Housewives. :P The fact that they're concentrating more on the personal lives- and specifically the love lives- of the characters rather than actual plots does NOT speak well of the chances for anything hard-hitting or Stargate-like next season. I also miss the days when the show had a budget and knew how to use it to effect. All this political BS of late is really tedious to me. Yes, Earth-based eps can be as good as the offworld-based eps, but as far as I'm concerned, they aren't measuring up.

This is all just my personal interpretation of things, of course, but as much as I disliked the idea of S8, it doesn't seem quite as depserate as the idea of S9. But to be perfectly honest, as far as I'm concerned, Stargate SG-1 stopped being about Stargate SG-1 a long, long time ago. It's been getting worse with each passing season and scattered eps here and there are not enough to redeem any of it. So there are a couple eps this season I'm thinking of watching (and may not even watch, at this point) and that will be the end for me. I don't need the false hope the producers dish up. Bad is bad no matter what garnishes you put on it and just because a side dish is palatable doesn't make the whole meal edible and it doesn't mean you have to eat the next course. Not when it's being made by the same chefs.

Skydiver
November 6th, 2004, 01:32 PM
It feels to me like they're just trying to wring this franchise out for every drop that they can get.

ya think?????

Stargate is quickly becoming all aboout $$ and less about the story.

Personally? I think what would be 'better' is to end stargate, and have a couple of movies or 4 hour mini series throughout the year, enough to keep folks interested but also not so much that the actors could have time off

But you know scifi's motto : who needs quality? We got ratings.

I'm with ship, yeah, i'll watch (not that i count seeing as i don't have a neilson box on my tv) but if they said that s8 was it, i wouldn't be sad. I'd rather see it end while it's still relatively good than end up like Earth Final Conflict or some other show, that sucked so bad it was a mercy killing when it was cancelled

or even worse, they milk it for all it's worth, the ratings tank and whammo, tehy can it mid-season, unfinished. Gee, isn't that what they did to Farscape???? (yeah, end of the season, but still it ended on a cliff hanger)

keshou
November 6th, 2004, 01:42 PM
Personally? I think what would be 'better' is to end stargate, and have a couple of movies or 4 hour mini series throughout the year, enough to keep folks interested but also not so much that the actors could have time off
Two big thumbs up for this option. They should let it rest for awhile, then come back fresh with a big action-packed, character-driven miniseries. Something that RDA might actually be excited about and want to be a full participant in. If they have time to write it and get a decent budget it could be an "event".

I'm with ship, yeah, i'll watch (not that i count seeing as i don't have a neilson box on my tv) but if they said that s8 was it, i wouldn't be sad. I'd rather see it end while it's still relatively good than end up like Earth Final Conflict or some other show, that sucked so bad it was a mercy killing when it was cancelled
Or jeez, you had to mention Earth Final Conflict. It sucked much, much earlier than its final season but S5 was so bad it almost defined sucking. :S

or even worse, they milk it for all it's worth, the ratings tank and whammo, tehy can it mid-season, unfinished. Gee, isn't that what they did to Farscape???? (yeah, end of the season, but still it ended on a cliff hanger)
Another crappy possibility. I'm getting more depressed by the minute. :(

DownFallAngel
November 6th, 2004, 01:45 PM
...I was really hoping they would find a fitting end for the show from season 8, and go into min-series. But I guess not. Maybe if they go to 10 seasons they could.

I'm so disappointed by Jack's lack of appearances. I really like his character. He should atleast retire, or take the fan-fic idea, and have him abducte and turned into a Goa'Uld.

norriski
November 6th, 2004, 02:14 PM
I'm surprised at the amount of negativity in this thread, but I guess I should just except that everyone had hisor her opinion......

I for one am elated at this news, while I still want to see something "official" come out, I take this as just about as close to confirmation of a 9th season as we're going to get until that "official" word is released.

While I love RDA's portrayal of Jack, I don't think that he is the end all be all of the show. While RDA's name has always been "above the title" SG-1 is really an ensemble show. I think that the show can carry on without him. I'd prefer to see him there every week, but if he's not, it's not going to effect my choice of if I'll watch the show or not.

I do agree with the thought that it might be time to bring in a new character or two (I'd like to see Dixon back too). But I love the stories about Daniel, Sam and Teal'c, and depending how RDA's lack of screen time is explained it could lead to a really interesting story arch for the season....I'd like to see a good 2 parter dealing with something happening to Jack at the start of the season...who knows what happens, he get captured, severely injured, toss in jail...I don't know that for the writers to think up, then we deal with the bulk of the season with the rest of the team dealing with what happened to Jack, looking for him, trying to help in whatever why, and dealing with Jack not being there, I really want to see the effects of his absence on the rest of the team, and I want to see the team dealing with a new head at the SGC...someone military, hey what about Davis acting as an interim (I know, I know, he's not a high enough rack, but I'd still love to see it) or maybe we could get DSD to come back....then a great ending 2 parter with Jack's return from where ever....

OH well, that just my opinion, I see potential and I'm happy for the news...

Sparky13
November 6th, 2004, 02:19 PM
>>Do you really think they can be consistently better next season? Especially knowing they're losing their "powerhouse" player, RDA?<<

Taking the position of devil's advocate, here, I believe that AT, MS and CJ are strong enough actors to carry the series through a 9th season. Their characters are as fully developed as O'Neill, as well. The sink-or-swim factor will be the scripts. Given the right material, TPTB could end up producing a really excellent season. Don't get me wrong; RDA's extremely limited presence will be felt--strongly! And sitting here in front of the computer, I can imagine noticing that he's *not* there as much as I notice when he *is*. Still, I'm hopeful that good writing will enhance the other three characters and give us more information on their relationships with each other. This would be rather interesting, since, for example, we don't see Carter and Teal'c interact much. Daniel has his own wit and charm, so it is doubtful we'd be totally without grins.

So...cheer up! A tiny, little slice of pie is better than no pie at all, especially if the pie is really, really tasty!

FWIW,
Sparky

Gregorius
November 6th, 2004, 02:20 PM
If they're going to add someone to the cast I want to keep throwing Adam Baldwin's (Dixon) name out there. *tosses Adam Baldwin into the thread* :D

And Jonas.....he was a great character and deserves to get a new chance.

But what the other said as well, the last 1.5 season wasn't that good, with exception of some eps and that doesn't give me much hope for the quality of season 9.

David85
November 6th, 2004, 02:25 PM
LET IT DIE!!!!!!!!!

There has been about three good episodes in 1.5 years, the clone episode, Lost City, and New Order.

If Jack will only be in 4 episode, that means the primere and final, then why do it at all? Just do a mini series. They have lost their minds and will bring down everything Stargate with them.

Maybe we can a follow up to the Super Teal'c episode!

*Shalf music in the background*

ShadowMaat
November 6th, 2004, 02:32 PM
The sink-or-swim factor will be the scripts. Given the right material, TPTB could end up producing a really excellent season. *snip* Still, I'm hopeful that good writing will enhance the other three characters and give us more information on their relationships with each other.
Actually, that's kind of my point. It all hinges on the writing. AT, MS, and CJ can act their little hearts out, but if the stories are crap, they can only do so much. And I really don't think TPTB have what it takes to get through another season. Especially since they once again won't be concentrating their full attention on SG-1, they'll have Atlantis to contend with, too. IMO, both shows are and will continue to suffer for it.

As I said, though, even though I think it's a bad decision that will lead to the further degradation of SG-1 and its characters... I'm happy for the fans who will get what they want: more SG-1 at any cost. :)

Major Fischer
November 6th, 2004, 02:40 PM
The other thing that is important to remember is that the population of the forum doesn't represent the population of the fanbase. We shouldn't convince ourselves otherwise just by the chorus of voices.

After all, if the Gateworld forum represented the fan base, Jonas would still be on the show.

ShadowMaat
November 6th, 2004, 02:41 PM
Well, the point is, people will ALWAYS watch Stargate, no matter what. So no matter what any of us might think, I doubt it will hurt the ratings very much. ;)

Dana_Jeanne
November 6th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Well, they could be beginning the 9th season with a four episode-arc. And have O'Neill written out somewhere along the way....
That's what I thought when I heard about the four episodes. IF there's a S9, it will be interesting to see what they do with Jack-- will he still be there, talked about, but unseen? I would hope they don't just forget about him and never mention him again. I like it when things tie together.

I have no doubt that the show could be very interesting with just Daniel, Teal'c and Sam, but in actuallity it all boils down to the writing. For the most, I've not been overly impressed in what's been flowing out of the keyboards at Bridge,too much lost potentional in too many stories. But IF the writers can come up with some good storylines, and IF we can get back to exploration and stop with the on-earth stories, then maybe S9 will be good, even with no Jack. I'm perfectly capable if imaging Jack back on earth "somewhere" while everyone else is off-world.

I've been enjoying S8 so far, much more than I did S7, although I miss the "old days" when the tream went off-world, Sam blew up suns, Daniel actually did what he'd been trained to do.... Truthfully, though, NEW Stargate episodes, no matter how badly put together, IMO, are better than old reruns of other sci-fi shows.

Dana Jeanne

DownFallAngel
November 6th, 2004, 03:03 PM
Let us just hope that the SG fanchise doesn't get turned into the next Boa VS Python Movie, by the great workers at SciFi.

Serebii
November 6th, 2004, 03:08 PM
Do you think they'll bring Hammond back to the SGC if Jacks not gonna be there?

Personally I'm ecstatic about the news...was thinking the other day during SG1 that I'ld prefer a 9th SG1 to a 2nd Atlantis if I was given a choice

Dana_Jeanne
November 6th, 2004, 03:13 PM
Do you think they'll bring Hammond back to the SGC if Jacks not gonna be there?

I'm guessing-- probably not, or very little. Partly because Hammond was promoted, and going back to the SGC would be a step down, but mainly because DSD has said at several cons that he is going to be very busy for the next two years working on his painting. He's going to have an art show somewhere in Europe, if I'm remembering correctly.

Dana Jeanne

David85
November 6th, 2004, 03:15 PM
It all hinges on the writing.

Yes and we all know they can't do that anymore, if they could the last 1.5 seasons would have been good and no one would be complaining about having another season.

Plus for the time being, this is only a rumour, remeber that.

auralan
November 6th, 2004, 03:30 PM
Well, 4 episodes is a lot better than none in my book. With RDA limited to guest appearances, they'll probably have to bring in more regulars -- especially if they really want to keep the option open for even more seasons. I'm in wait and see mode. It could be done well. It'll depend on who they hire and how good the stories are.

Is it too early to put in a vote for Adam Baldwin as a cast addition? Yup, I'm still shallow.

DownFallAngel
November 6th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Maybe this will give them an oppurtunity to tie up loose ends on offworld planets. Loose ends like the Nox, the Tollans, how Cassie got Asgard tech in 1969, stuff like that. Thats 3-4 episodes right there.

David85
November 6th, 2004, 03:41 PM
Maybe this will give them an oppurtunity to tie up loose ends on offworld planets. Loose ends like the Nox, the Tollans, how Cassie got Asgard tech in 1969, stuff like that. Thats 3-4 episodes right there.

3-4 episodes that will never happen, they haven't happened in season 6, haven't ine season 7, or 8, not going to in season 9.

ShadowMaat
November 6th, 2004, 03:43 PM
Oh yes, by all means, let's bring someone in to replace a HUGELY popular character because God knows, that worked SO well the last time! :P And character development? For some one-off, last-season fill-in loser? Not a problem! I'm sure he'd get OODLES of development. Yeah. And I have some ocean-front property in Arizona if anyone's interested. :D

OK. Sorry. That was a little overly cynical even for me. ;) I'm gonna try and be quiet, now, and let folks go back to being thrilled to pieces over a possible ninth season. :)

Osiris
November 6th, 2004, 04:08 PM
Fantastic.
I'm so excited!
I hope Anna-Louise Plowman will become a show regular.

:D

Jonisa
November 6th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Do you really think they can be consistently better next season? Especially knowing they're losing their "powerhouse" player, RDA?

Yes, but RDA hasn't really been their "powerhouse" player for the past two seasons, has he? Sure, his name is before the title and he's the only recognizable star to most people, but anyone who watches the show, whether they're an obsessed on-line fan or a casual viewer, has to have noticed how little he's in the eps. And the ratings continue to go up.

Also, if RDA isn't there anymore, they won't be forced to hang around the SGC base in order to manufacture a way to get him into the storyline. They can even visit other planets and use the Stargate again. There's a thought! ;) Then when he does appear, the eps won't be "Jack-lite", but he can be fully integrated into the story instead of having little odd scenes of him pasted into the episode. (That's what it feels like to me, anyway.)

I do agree with everyone that Stargate isn't the same as it was earlier, and not always for the better. Some of that can be attributed to the fact that shows change as they age and some of it to...other things. I also agree that it won't be the same without Jack.

However change isn't always bad, and there have been some episodes that I've really enjoyed this year. Most importantly I love the chemistry and interaction between Sam, Daniel, and Teal'c and will really miss it if there's no SG-1 next year. And dangit, I can't get into Atlantis, try as I might, so I don't have that as a replacement either. :p

So I have mixed feelings. Overall though I'm hoping for a Season 9 and will definitely watch. I'd still like to hear something official though.

ses110
November 6th, 2004, 04:37 PM
Shadowmaat while I respectfully disagree with you regarding Ship.I am a Big Sam and Jack Shipper your comments about Season 9 are right on target and I could not agree more.Season 9 is a horrible idea IMO.Miniseries and Movies are the way to go.

David85
November 6th, 2004, 04:39 PM
And I have some ocean-front property in Arizona if anyone's interested. :D

With that Global Warming scare it might just happen... :)

Hubble
November 6th, 2004, 04:49 PM
Oh yes, by all means, let's bring someone in to replace a HUGELY popular character because God knows, that worked SO well the last time! :P And character development? For some one-off, last-season fill-in loser? Not a problem! I'm sure he'd get OODLES of development. Yeah. And I have some ocean-front property in Arizona if anyone's interested. :

The difference between this time and last time would be that it is RDA's choice to leave or be in only 4 episodes; it wasn't Michael's choice to leave.

There are those who feel that a S9 without RDA (or having him for only 4 episodes) would help the show. (A) Without Jack around, the Jack/Sam ship would be non-existent or lessened, (B) PTB would not have to pay RDA so much if he's only in 4 episodes and thus, would have a bigger budget for actually filming outside the SGC and going thru the gate, (C) the writing would somehow get better, focusing on the interaction between Daniel, Teal'c and Sam, finally allowing MS to show his acting chops without being overshadowed by RDA, as the "star." Daniel as head of the SGC. Whose to say these things wouldn't be true?

H.

Major Fischer
November 6th, 2004, 04:54 PM
The difference between this time and last time would be that it is RDA's choice to leave or be in only 4 episodes; it wasn't Michael's choice to leave.

SNIP!

Daniel as head of the SGC. Whose to say these things wouldn't be true?

I highly doubt they would tie Daniel down at the SGC, and he's wholely inapporpriate for the job. A lot of your post to me suggests that you've been traveling in particular circles in the fandom that have tunnel vision.

It's not at all clear that it wasn't Shanks choice to leave, in fact the opposite is conventional wisdom.

ShadowMaat
November 6th, 2004, 05:13 PM
With that Global Warming scare it might just happen... :)
With global warming, I'm gonna need that property for myself because my home will be underwater. :P

ShadowMaat
November 6th, 2004, 05:33 PM
Can we please not turn this into a "Why did MS leave" flame war? :P We've been down that road too many times to bother.

I don't give a good golly honk whether it's an actor's choice to leave or the actor was forced out at gunpoint: it's the WRITING that I'm talking about and IMO, the writers blowed chunks BIG time in terms of "developing" Jonas and in making Daniel's leaving and Jonas' introduction smooth and believable. I don't think they've learned anything since then.

Yes, RDA has had a reduced presence the past few years... and, IMO, the writing quality has gone downhill the past few years. Coincidence? Maybe. But then again, maybe not. Having RDA out of the picture COULD free them up a lot... or it could cause the bubblegum and dental floss holding the show together to come unglued. :P

pettygrew
November 6th, 2004, 05:33 PM
I felt the show should have ended with S5. I'm happy to watch each year following that, but I prefer all four characters. The show has had its moments this year, but nothing like S1-S5.

Elwe Singollo
November 6th, 2004, 06:20 PM
I would have been really sad if S6 at least didn't happen, since Jonas was introduced, and Daniel still being 'around' in a sense, it was a great season :)

D.C.
November 6th, 2004, 06:20 PM
I think it would be cool if Carmen Argenziano (Jacob Carter) became a regular on the show, maybe to take over the SGC. (I doubt the Pentagon would just hand it over to an alien, but then again he's also a General in the Air Force.) I like the idea of a Russian or Tok'ra joining SG-1 as well. This is good news about Season Nine. I agree that the Story Arcs in Season Seven weren't as good as the previous years, but Season Eight has been great so far.

Elwe Singollo
November 6th, 2004, 06:31 PM
U know what, i think they should just destory the SGC, and rebuild it, so it would give it a newer more fresher look, haha...

Skydiver
November 6th, 2004, 06:33 PM
here could be one possible good thing if it is true and RDA won't be in most of the episodes, they will no longer have to be all whacked out rigging the schedule to accomodate RDA's 15 days a month.

Maybe, just maybe that lack of pressure might allow them to get back to taping one episode at a time instead of this slap dash way they've been doing it the past couple of years.

course i still think they need

Some new writers
some new recurring/semi-regular characters

course, to be truthful, adding characters adn writers is something they needed to do YEARS ago. Think about it, had they thought ahead, we wouldn't be having Stargate .5 for a bit of this upcoming season and folks wouldn't be going on and on about lack-o-jack

What did kirk once say 'now now mr scott, young minds, fresh ideas. be tolerant' (or something like that)

D.C.
November 6th, 2004, 06:34 PM
The only major concern I have about Season Nine (with the exception of the cast) is changing the character dynamics to much. If they're going to make movies after SG-1 finishes as a TV show, the character dynamics shouldn't be changed that much. The X-Files pretty much completely changed all character dynamics after Mulder left, and nows it's going to be more complex to create an X-File movie that's similar to the format of the show. SG-1 doesn't have to be like that, though.

Major Fischer
November 6th, 2004, 06:36 PM
SG-1 doesn't have to be like that, though.

For among other reasons, the x-files was carried on the weight of two characters, SG1 has more.

D.C.
November 6th, 2004, 06:37 PM
True.

Dana_Jeanne
November 6th, 2004, 06:47 PM
Can we please not turn this into a "Why did MS leave" flame war? :P We've been down that road too many times to bother.
Yeah, been there, done that, have way too many t-shirts.

it's the WRITING that I'm talking about and IMO, the writers blowed chunks BIG time in terms of "developing" Jonas and in making Daniel's leaving and Jonas' introduction smooth and believable. I don't think they've learned anything since then.
I agree. It doesn't matter how I felt about Jonas personally, as far as I'm concerned "he" got a raw deal when the writers tried to make him into a really-fast-reader-clone of Daniel rather than a multi-dimentional character all on his own. If they couldn't "make" Jonas properly why expect them to do so for the character who replaces Jack?

Yes, RDA has had a reduced presence the past few years... and, IMO, the writing quality has gone downhill the past few years. Coincidence? Maybe. But then again, maybe not.
Good question. I've been getting unhappier about the writing ever since S4; obviously not unhappy enough to stop watching, but I'm not receiving any where near the level of satisfaction I did in the first three seasons and for serveral episodes from seasons 4 and 5.

RDA began playing Jack as a smart-mouthed twit; Jack went from a man I'd be proud to serve under and would have no trouble trusting to someone I could hardly believe would be let loose in the Air Force. A Colonel of his age and experience just isn't so STUPID that he'd act so childish (the scene in Birthright comes to mind when the entire team is first being introduced to Jolene Blalock's character --who's name just flew out of my mind).

Between the writing and RDA thinking it's funny the way he does Jack, I'm not happy with the show and therefor not jumping up and down for a Season 9 with more than four episodes of Jack. Somebody said somewhere that it seems as though RDA is simply phoning in his lines and I'm afraid I tend to agree.

And so on and so forth and yadda yadda. Sorry. I got carried away.

Having RDA out of the picture COULD free them up a lot... or it could cause the bubblegum and dental floss holding the show together to come unglued. :P
If having RDA gone means we MIGHT get more stories about Daniel, Teal'c and Sam, that we could actually see Sam lead SG-1 like a strong, intelligent soldier rather than someone who goes to her boss and asks if she did okay, whimper, more LINES FOR TEAL'C, perhaps some character development, perhaps find out what happened to the other people from S1-3, maybe even Go Off World and explore and let Daniel be an archeaologist and linguist rather than a blasted soldier.... Then I'll pack RDA's suitcase for him.

This is all my opinion of course, and I obviously feel very strongly about it. I do appologise to the Jack fans who are going to miss him; I feel badly for you.

Dana Jeanne

Kanten
November 6th, 2004, 06:59 PM
If this is a sign that Season 9 is going to happen, I couldn't be any happier, despite RDA making 4 appearances. I'll probably get my head bit off in saying that the show can be just as good if he's gone for most of the season. I've always thought SG-1 as more of an ensemble cast that can work through a cast member's absence, S6 made that clear and didn't kill the show. Personally, I think 4 RDA-heavy episodes in a season would work better than 20 episodes with cameo appearances. I'd think with this, we'd get to see more off-world episodes and situations, which is what the show should focus on. Face it, we've seen a bit too much of Earth so far this season.

David85
November 6th, 2004, 07:02 PM
They have been on Earth this season because of RDA, its cheaper too, and I doubt anything will change next year.

Skydiver
November 6th, 2004, 07:07 PM
dont' you mean they haven't left earth??

To be fair, they said at the beginning of this season that there would be more sgc/earth bound episodes. and it is a budget measure. It's tons cheaper to tape in standing sets than it is to build sets or find locations

Erik Pasternak
November 6th, 2004, 07:21 PM
They've been off Earth plenty of times: "New Order," "Zero Hour," "Icon," "Sacrifices," "Covenant," and "Endgame." That's seven ("New Order" is a two parter) out of ten episodes where we have been off Earth.

Taonas
November 6th, 2004, 07:49 PM
There is just one thing I ask....

No...

DEMAND of TPTB, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE end Stargate with the honor and grace that it is rightfully due!

Madeleine
November 6th, 2004, 07:54 PM
I'd really like there to be a s9. The average ep these days isn't as good as the average ep from a few years back, but it's still entertaining. And there are still occasional brilliant ones which enthral me. I doubt I'll miss Jack too much, it helps that he's been gradually reducing his involvement anyway since early s6, so it won't feel *too* weird for him not to be around.

Just as long as the other three get a few eps for *the three of them* rather than Whose Turn Is It To Get The Entire Story This Week, week after week after week...

aAnubiSs
November 6th, 2004, 08:15 PM
I want a S9, and hopefully they'll make all 20 or so episodes one big story arc. Then SG1 can end and another spin-off can take over with a new crew, new writers while the old ones stay on Atlantis and all that fancy stuff.

They should plan S9 and the basic outline of the spin-off at the same time.

S9 finale = reveal to the world that there are aliens and that the Wraith has sent 35 or so of their 50 ships towards this galaxy.

The Wraith however, being in hypernation much doesn't have very fast hyperdrives, it will take 1½-2 years before they get here. So untill then we (Earth+Allies) have to prepare. This means taking out all Goa'uld Naquadah mines and starting to mine them ourselves (pref. with the help of the Asgard). We'll have the entire planets resources to build ships and train troops. We also don't have to build all the stuff in secrecy anymore. The Aschen would cause trouble from time to time, the foothold aliens would try to infiltrate and steal our ships, rebel rebel jaffa would cause chaos with chaotic attacks without any real strategy...

Could be interesting.

D.C.
November 6th, 2004, 08:58 PM
They don't need to have a massive story arc to span the course of the season, but several story arcs would be good, maybe even concluding some of the existing ones. Some arcs don't need to be drawn out indefinately. I'd like more Tok'ra episodes. The Tok'ra episodes of Seasons Two, Three, and Four are awesome.

sky_blue_waters
November 6th, 2004, 09:00 PM
It sounds to me that Gen. Jack O'Neill just might be retiring from the Air Force; just a guess. That might open up a whole slew of plot opportunities, if you know what I mean ;)....... P.S. can we get some more pouting in here, we seem to be running low on the pouting

D.C.
November 6th, 2004, 09:03 PM
Jack could always get command of an off-world SGC like he wanted in Shades of Gray. The four episodes where he guest stars could be when SG-1 go to the off-world SGC. :)

Erik Pasternak
November 6th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Jack could always get command of an off-world SGC like he wanted in Shades of Gray. The four episodes where he guest stars could be when SG-1 go to the off-world SGC. :)
That would be sort of a demotion though.

D.C.
November 6th, 2004, 09:22 PM
Not if it's a major hub for allies and stuff. Like where they plan Jaffa Rebellion missions and etc. It wouldn't neccessarily be like the Alpha site, but a self-sufficient SGC.

Elwe Singollo
November 6th, 2004, 10:20 PM
How would that be a demotion? He would be getting his own base still, on a different world, imo, its pretty much the same job, but maybe free-er since obviously he couldn't call the president/being called by the president as much as he would back at the SGC.

Erik Pasternak
November 6th, 2004, 10:23 PM
How would that be a demotion?Basically because he'd be off-world and couldn't come home from work every night (well, I guess he could, but he probably wouldn't).

Elwe Singollo
November 6th, 2004, 10:28 PM
O... ic ic why now :) But wouldn't you think if your gonna work/control an off-world base, wouldn't you stay in that base to live, like working and living overseas for the United States.

sshspooky
November 6th, 2004, 11:46 PM
I like RDA only having four episodes next season. it allows him to be written out in the two part premier then return to have a big part in the season/series finale.

D.C.
November 7th, 2004, 02:29 AM
Yeah, it will also force them to do the show with RDA and his scheduling issues.

Serebii
November 7th, 2004, 05:43 AM
Thing is, Atlantis proves that a Stargate show can succeed without RDA so *shrugs*

AlphaBlu
November 7th, 2004, 05:52 AM
Four? FOUR. FOUR!

That's terrible. Unbeliavably terrible. Lets say a Season is 20 episodes. 8 would've done, nearly half... but FOUR! That's not even a quarter of a Season.

They sure as **** better be bringing back Jonas, because, as much as I love the other three, I don't think a 3-man cast can sustain this show.

FOUR!

BYE

shockwave
November 7th, 2004, 06:06 AM
They will certainly have to add a new boss for the SGC, and maybe a new team member, especially if Carter may have reduced time due to AT pregnancy. It will probably be a lot of Daniel and Teal'c in the first episodes. RDA will probably do the first and last two episodes.

ShadowMaat
November 7th, 2004, 06:28 AM
They will certainly have to add a new boss for the SGC, and maybe a new team member, especially if Carter may have reduced time due to AT pregnancy.
Sam can be off on her honeymoon with Pete. :D

Sorry. I couldn't resist. ;)

Skydiver
November 7th, 2004, 06:49 AM

whacks shadow ;)

David85
November 7th, 2004, 06:56 AM

Or with Jack.....

shockwave
November 7th, 2004, 07:16 AM
Or with Jack.....
naaah... Stalker Pete all the way :p :D

Albion
November 7th, 2004, 07:21 AM
Here's an idea. Why don't those who don't want a S9 and have lost interest in the show...stop watching. Then those of us who still see a lot of potential in the show and don't think it's run its course yet and who want to see more can have their fun. Everyone wins, everyone's happy. It strikes me as somewhat selfish of those who have lost interest to be trying to end the show just to suit themselves. If I don't enjoy a show any more I watch something else and leave it to those still having fun. I'm surprised this is such a difficult concept for some posters to embrace really.

Albion :)

ShadowMaat
November 7th, 2004, 07:32 AM
I'm surprised by how many people would seem to prefer a white-washed version of fandom where everything is rainbows and puppy dogs and the show is godlike and perfect and never does anything wrong and people hold hands and dance around, singing the praises of TPTB, the actors, the characters, etc. :P

Me, when I don't like something, I say so. And yeah, if the show or an episode gets TOO bad, I won't watch it. But that isn't going to stop me from posting my opinions. I'm going to continue saying why I think something is terrible because no matter what happens, I'm still a Stargate fan and I still love the show. I miss what the show was and I'm saddened to see what it has become. Should I keep my mouth shut and go away? I'm sure a lot of people would love that, but it isn't in my nature to do that. I still love the show, I can still say plenty of positive things about it, I still feel that I personally have something to contribute to this board and I'm gonna keep doing it. So there. :P

Just because I hate some things, or am disappointed with the current direction of the show or have given up watching it doesn't make me any less of a fan and it doesn't mean I don't have just as much right to post my thoughts and feelings as those who still love everything about the show and think the whole S9 thing is fantastic.

pettygrew
November 7th, 2004, 07:52 AM
It strikes me as somewhat selfish of those who have lost interest to be trying to end the show just to suit themselves. If I don't enjoy a show any more I watch something else and leave it to those still having fun. I'm surprised this is such a difficult concept for some posters to embrace really.

The same can be said for those who wish to continue it on.

I don't want to see SG turn into X-Files where it runs on longer than it should. I prefer seeing it end while it is still successful.

I know money is an issue, and many people think its money well spent, but you don't realize how bad the economy is becoming and how hard it is to keep the same staff. SG is just one show. Think of how many other projects SciFi is developing and continuing. Look at the whole industry.

Albion
November 7th, 2004, 08:09 AM
The same can be said for those who wish to continue it on.

No, actually it can't. Because those of us wishing it to continue aren't going to spoil the other side's fun if it does and if we get our wish. All they have to do is stop watching and they're happy. They, however, are stating that they wish the show to end simply because they no longer enjoy it. Which means they're trying to spoil the fun of those on the opposite side of the opinion. If they get their wish, they make a section of the Stargate community very unhappy. So there is a very big difference there, actually.

And I'm not saying that no one is entitled to voice an opinion on the show. ShadowMaat - not at all. Just that demanding the show end because you, personally, don't enjoy it any more is a little on the selfish side when others still enjoy it and want it to continue. The solution is in your own hands. Don't watch S9 if that's the way you feel. Make yourself happy. Feel free to come here and say you hate S9 and it sucks. But that's an entirely different thing to demanding it ends just because you've lost interest. (using the collective you there, btw, not personal to you, ShadowMaat)

Nor do I believe my post said anything about everything having to be all sweetness and light and perfect. I do believe that my previous posts on this forum give testament to embracing pointing out myself when I dislike something in an episode and I enjoy reading others opinions generally on the show, whether they agree or not. So really not sure where that element applies.

And while there are other SF shows I enjoy watching, I really don't see what relevence that point has to whether SG continues or not. I enjoy watching SG1 most of all and would like to see more of it. I don't feel any great personal responsibility to ensure that other shows are made or continue. Let their fans do the work there. :D

Gregorius
November 7th, 2004, 08:23 AM
No, actually it can't. Because those of us wishing it to continue aren't going to spoil the other side's fun if it does and if we get our wish. All they have to do is stop watching and they're happy. They, however, are stating that they wish the show to end simply because they no longer enjoy it. Which means they're trying to spoil the fun of those on the opposite side of the opinion. If they get their wish, they make a section of the Stargate community very unhappy. So there is a very big difference there, actually.

Critisism (sp?) is one of the best things a show can get, because when writers, directors etc... listen to it they learn what they can improve without making others unhappy as well.

And people who wish to end the show are just concerned that the show they love will end up like the X-Files and the Star Trek series. Those two series are only examples of how commerce can influence TPTB.

So to conclude my (vague?) story: You should be happy with people critisising (sp?) the show, because with out critisism (sp?) the people who make wouldn't know how to improve it.

Ugly Pig
November 7th, 2004, 08:24 AM
Wow... If this rumour is indeed true, then this will be the first time ever that I have mixed feelings about the renewal of SG-1 for another season. I've always said that it would be better to end it than to have it completely RDA-free, and I still stand by that opinion. However, if he were to appear occasionally... Maybe it could work. But I had hoped it wouldn't come to that.

I'll say this: They damn well better not write Jack out of the show permanently. No death, no ascension. Don't spend his four episodes all at once and never hear from him again. Keep the character alive by having him appear from time to time. And have him play a significant part in the final episode.

Albion
November 7th, 2004, 08:31 AM
So to conclude my (vague?) story: You should be happy with people critisising (sp?) the show, because with out critisism (sp?) the people who make wouldn't know how to improve it.

<sigh>. Okay, I'll say this again in words of few syllables and hopefully this time my point will get across. There's a difference between constructively criticising the show generally (I do not have a problem with that, think it's perfectly healthy and enjoy it immensely as it promotes some great debates) and demanding the show ends just to suit yourself, which means those who don't agree with you don't get to watch their favourite show any more.

If you demand the show ends and it does - well, there's not much room for improvement by TPTB on any scale, is there? And constructive criticism becomes rather pointless since there's nothing there to improve!

Now if that's not clear as to what my opinion is:

Constructive criticism = very, very good and nothing to do with the point I'm making

then you'll just have to argue it out among yourselves, because really not sure how much more clearly I can say it. :p

nUMb
November 7th, 2004, 08:36 AM
I am really looking forward to season 9, and people who arent yust shouldnt watch it!

And, people, please no more posts like --> uuuu, please stop it no more season 9!!!!

Don't spoil it to the people that wishes it!!!

thx

keshou
November 7th, 2004, 09:18 AM
It strikes me as somewhat selfish of those who have lost interest to be trying to end the show just to suit themselves. If I don't enjoy a show any more I watch something else and leave it to those still having fun. I'm surprised this is such a difficult concept for some posters to embrace really.
I'd be surprised if anything anyone says in this thread will play into whether S9 gets the green light or not. IMO Scifi is interested in another season because of the ratings, not because of what the fans are posting on this or any other board. Heck ER is in its 10th or 11th season, still gets good ratings and yet online fans are always saying that show has gotten terrible and should end.

Scifi and MGM have probably been doing risk assessment on going forward without RDA (or RDA for only 4 episodes) already. I wouldn't want to be in their shoes - it's a tough call. I'm probably more surprised that BW, RCC and Michael Greenburg want to go forward with S9. Producing and writing for two shoes at the same time has to be tough. Surely Scifi would pick up Atlantis on its own - its had good enough ratings to go for a second season I would think.

To the extent TPTB like to get feedback on storylines, etc. they read these boards. To the extent they think our opinions may actually be an indicator of the opinions of the casual viewing (ratings) audience they take them into account. But fandom usually contains the most critical viewers they have so I think they expect that we're going to be concerned about a 9th season with the lead character almost completely absent. A lead character who makes the show for a lot of fans, in spite of the problems some of us have with the way Jack has been played or utilized on the show the last couple or years.

I got kind of down reading this thread last night because everyone seemed really negative. To the extent there are people out there who are really excited about season 9 - why aren't they speaking up more? A few have but not many. That poll on Gateworld a week or so ago had a huge percentage in favor of S9. Lots of votes, although I'm sure some fans were voting multiple times.

I'm not calling for the show's end to suit me. I have real mixed emotions. I know a lot of jobs are at stake. I'd just personally rather not see a show that has been one of my favorites decline like other shows that have stayed too long at the party. It's painful to watch and I usually stop watching but I really want to try and stick it out because I still love the characters. And frankly it's harder to stop watching when you're involved in fandom and kind of hooked on talking to people online about the show. Help, I need a 12-step program! :D

ShadowMaat
November 7th, 2004, 09:27 AM
I think part of the issue for some people is that they want season 9... but not without RDA. He may have had a reduced presence the past few seasons, but he was still a very visible figure and he's the main draw for a lot of people- at least judging by some of the comments I've read. I know I've seen a lot of people say, "I want season 9, but only if RDA is in it!" And somehow, I don't think that 4 eps will be enough for those people. ;)

I'll try to curb my own negativity. I AM glad that some will be able to enjoy S9 no matter what (assuming the rumor is even true), but I have SUCH a bad feeling about it, myself, that it can be hard to control my reaction. I love Stargate, but I don't want to see it get mangled and turned into an embarrassment that people won't want to watch. I want to see the show go out on top, not dragged out past its expiration date and left rotting in the schedule for another season or two.

I don't want to see anybody out of a job because Stargate ends/gets cancelled, but the cast and crew have had plenty of warning, they know the end is coming and I doubt that any of them will have problems finding new work.

Skydiver
November 7th, 2004, 09:28 AM
I don't expect the show to do anything to keep me happy. Me? I'm just one little voice on one forum that no one pays attention to.

I'm one viewer who doesn't even have a neilson box so Scifi doesn't give a fig that i even exist.

But i am a person who's watched the show since season one. I've had the fortune to meet some members of the cast and crew. I like this show.

And like anything i like, i know that all good things come to an end. If they choose to end the show now, so be it. if they drag it out for another year or two, they're gonna do it whether i watch or not.

but it's still sad to watch a creation like this and see it come out less than it could be, see it stagger along when, in the opinion of some, the better decision might be to have it end now, while it's still popular than let it drag along season after season, pushed past its prime and let it quietly fade away with a little whimper and to have its epitaph be 'What was the longest running scifi show ended today, years past its prime. The final episode had a record breaking lack of ratings'

Wass
November 7th, 2004, 10:05 AM
I did. And IMO I was right about S7, it was 98% crap with a few good eps tossed in. I gave S8 a shot anyway on the off chance that TPTB could actually manage to pull the fat from the fire and for the first couple of eps they did. But, IMO, things have been declining steadily since then and I've started skipping eps again. I'm watching SG-1 for the plots, not to see who's sleeping with whom and which character is dating what but is really in love with whom. If I wanted that, I'd watch a soap opera. Or Desperate Housewives. :P The fact that they're concentrating more on the personal lives- and specifically the love lives- of the characters rather than actual plots does NOT speak well of the chances for anything hard-hitting or Stargate-like next season. I also miss the days when the show had a budget and knew how to use it to effect. All this political BS of late is really tedious to me. Yes, Earth-based eps can be as good as the offworld-based eps, but as far as I'm concerned, they aren't measuring up.

I agree with you about season 7 at first I sort of liked it this was half way through season 7 but by the end of season 7 I looked back at the whole season rather then individual episode or few episodes and was really disappointed.There was no excitement, adventure and trill of watching stargate, the feeling I use to get when watching stargate were simply not there anymore. As for season 8 I will hold my judgment until the end of season.

GateTraveler
November 7th, 2004, 11:07 AM
Well, I guess I'll jump in here and throw in my 2 cents as a long time lurker but 1st time poster. For the record, I'm very happy that it appears that SG1 will continue into a 9th season. What strikes me as odd is how many here are just assuming that the season will suck (or fearing that it will).

Many people felt that when Daniel left after season 5, that was it - the show was finished. It would become like x-files. What, no Daniel??? They should end it, now!!! No way that Season 6 could be any good - yet a lot of people really liked Season 6 and rate it as one of their favorites. Many thought Jonas was a good addition and would like to see him return. If they had ended it after Season 5, I would have missed out on many great episodes from S6, S7, and S8 and a character I really like from S6. I'm glad they didn't listen to the boards.

Season 9 could add a new character that people might like and/or spin the story arcs in new directions that add life to the show. There seem to be too many people here with a "glass is half empty" attitude and insist doom is on the way. Why not wait, watch it, and then decide? I mean once it's gone, it's gone. I choose to enjoy each season as long as they keep pumping out mostly good, entertaining episodes and am hopeful about S9. When I think it starts to suck, I'll quit watching and move on to something else I like.

Ugly Pig
November 7th, 2004, 11:11 AM
I personally hope that they don't add a new character as a regular. Season 9 is just way too late in the game to throw in new people and call them main characters. Also, if there are only three regular cast members left they may have more money left over for other aspects of the production. And in all likelyhood, that will be sorely needed.

ShadowMaat
November 7th, 2004, 11:13 AM
I am assuming S9 is going to suck because I thought S7 sucked and I'm starting to get a sucky vibe off S8. What spoilers I've read have been far from encouraging, and while spoilers are no way to judge an ep, what eps HAVE aired, barring the first few, haven't been very good, either. In my opinion. If I think season 7 sucked and if I think S8 sucks, then why would I think S9 would miraculously get better?

Still, I can't quite give up on the show. I still watch it on occasion, I still usually give it the benefit of a doubt, but if it's two years of continually poor-quality eps (IMO), then I think it's pretty safe to assume I won't like S9, either.

As for adding a "new character", I'm sorry, but I've been down that road before with Jonas and I am still suffering from it. TPTB never bothered to develop Jonas, what makes you think they'd do any better the second time around with ANOTHER new (or mostly new) character?

Skydiver
November 7th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Maybe s9 will be spectacular. Maybe we'll have 20 fantastic eps. And i'm sure no matter what they do, it'll appeal to someone, somewhere.

Then again, it's just as possible that mgm and skiffy have the attitude that the sheep will continue to watch, continue to pay and continue to support them, even if they air 45 minutes of one character sitting on a stool reading the phone book.

If it's good, i'll keep watching. If it no longer appeals to me, there's this nifty invention called a remote control which contains an off button :)

and i ain't afraid to use it.

GateTraveler
November 7th, 2004, 11:29 AM
With Jonas I believe they knew all along that there was a good chance MS might return and therefore did not develop him much. (If you recall, it took them quite a while to develop Tealc very much beyond "Indeed".) If Jonas continued into S7 I would be willing to bet he would have seen significant development. Jonas ended up being a placemarker. But did that mean S6 sucked? For many the answer is no.

On adding a new character, why is it too late? They did it in S6 and supposedly that was late in the show's run yet here we are 2 years later and staring down a 9th season. If MS didn't return, Jonas would probably still be with us as a very well developed character.

ShadowMaat
November 7th, 2004, 11:35 AM
Yeah. Jonas was a placemarker who was filling in for the last season of the show.

Except the show got renewed.

Character X would ALSO be a placemarker filling in for the "last season" of the show.

Dana_Jeanne
November 7th, 2004, 11:35 AM
As long as Daniel is still on the show, I'm afraid I'll continue to 'baaaa-aaaa.'

Someone said that earth-based shows could be good, but they didn't want to see the characters and their love-lives. I have to agree with that. I want to see Daniel, Teal'c and Sam interact with EACH OTHER, not with thier respective bed-mates.

What was the episode MS wrote and AT directed? I liked that one even though it was set on earth. It had mythology, bad guys and the three members of SG-1 *working together*. If we can have stories like that, then I'll be happy and able to live without Jack.

There are a lot of things they can do on earth-- remember Seth? Hathor? The Curse? How many other goa'ulds might be hiding out on earth? What happens if an acheaologist unearths something in Egypt, or wherever with Goa'uld writing? Stuff like that. Episodes set on earth CAN be good and don't have to deal with that blasted NID. They just need to be well-written.

Dana Jeanne

GateTraveler
November 7th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Yeah. Jonas was a placemarker who was filling in for the last season of the show.

Except the show got renewed.

Character X would ALSO be a placemarker filling in for the "last season" of the show.

Maybe...but maybe TPTB won't listen to you and the show will go a few more years. Character X could become a favorite. You never know. It would not be the first time.

Unlike some, I think a new character is necessary if TPTB believe the show might continue beyond S9. I believe Jonas added a new dynamic to S6 and they need that kind of dynamic to keep the show fresh. I would think that those of you who believe the show has gotten stale would agree.

Skydiver
November 7th, 2004, 11:47 AM
They just need to be well-written.

Dana Jeanne

which brings us back to the opinion of some. season 9 sure, bring it on....but maybe it would benefit from an influx of new writers (not getting rid of the ones we have, just some new ones, to help carry the load of cranking out 40 episodes of a show)

And i think that the option of adding a new cast member or three is something that could be considered and maybe folks might want to think about accepting...with the three actors we have bearing more of the load, not only professinally but personally, having more actors/characters might make their job easier as well

Skydiver
November 7th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Unlike some, I think a new character is necessary if TPTB believe the show might continue beyond S9. I believe Jonas added a new dynamic to S6 and they need that kind of dynamic to keep the show fresh. I would think that those of you who believe the show has gotten stale would agree.

I agree. I think they should have added some new supporting characters years ago personally. Start off with sg-13 having bit parts in some eps, then more of a role, maybe eventually carrying an eps or two on their own.

which would lead the way into the main cast having someone to interact with other than guest star of the week

keshou
November 7th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Well, I guess I'll jump in here and throw in my 2 cents as a long time lurker but 1st time poster. For the record, I'm very happy that it appears that SG1 will continue into a 9th season. What strikes me as odd is how many here are just assuming that the season will suck (or fearing that it will).
I don't assume the season will suck but I guess I'm afraid the season will suck. The RDA-less episodes (Nightwalkers, etc.) have been some of my least favorites over the years. And this in spite of real problems I have with the way Jack has been played and written in the last couple of seasons. He's brought a certain energy to the remarkable chemistry these characters have together.

I also think some of the plots and episodes are getting a little stale and repetitive and I'm not sure why that would be get any better in season 9 unless they add some writers who have some fresh ideas and can alleviate the double load they are carrying. They'll also still have the same budget issues to work with in S9 they had in S8.

Many people felt that when Daniel left after season 5, that was it - the show was finished. It would become like x-files. What, no Daniel??? They should end it, now!!! No way that Season 6 could be any good - yet a lot of people really liked Season 6 and rate it as one of their favorites. Many thought Jonas was a good addition and would like to see him return. If they had ended it after Season 5, I would have missed out on many great episodes from S6, S7, and S8 and a character I really like from S6. I'm glad they didn't listen to the boards.
I think they may occasionally listen to the boards but I doubt they can take much of it! ;) I agree that there were several great episodes from S6 and S7 and I'm glad to have those. Overall though the last few seasons just haven't been as consistently good and well-written as in earlier years, IMO. Not uncommon with a long-running show.

They are supposed to be pulling out all the stops for the last few episodes of S8 and I'm really looking forward to those. But S9, with very little RDA, is going to be a BIG change for the show. Bigger than Daniel leaving in S5, IMO. I'm open to watching and seeing how it goes and if it's the best thing since frozen margaritas were invented I'll be very happy indeed. I just think the odds of that happening aren't that good. So yeah, I guess I'm a glass half-empty person. You know what they say, expect nothing and never be disappointed. :p

Season 9 could add a new character that people might like and/or spin the story arcs in new directions that add life to the show. There seem to be too many people here with a "glass is half empty" attitude and insist doom is on the way. Why not wait, watch it, and then decide?
I definitely think they should add a new character or perhaps one we're already familiar with. I mentioned Col. Dixon (Adam Baldwin) up the thread. I love the chemistry between Sam, Daniel and Teal'c but I think it would be interesting to see a new dynamic introduced into the mix. And yes, I would love to see them spin the story arcs in new directions. Hey you're making me feel slightly optimistic. Stop that. ;)

I think there are certainly things they could do to make it interesting and I'm somewhat intrigued to see what they have in mind. IF S9 even happens - no confirmation from Scifi or MGM yet.

Glad you delurked. It's nice to hear some different perspectives. :D

Vapor
November 7th, 2004, 01:33 PM
I'm not so firmly attached to the Jack character, so I'm not that upset, though I do see the need to get somebody to replace him. I mean, I was kinda expecting someone new to join SG-1 when Jack became general anyway, and that didn't happen.

Anyway, if Jack is in only 4 eps, then I'd say he should be posessed by a Goa'uld, which is a perfect and interesting excuse as to why he's not around. And then, in the series finale (hopefully, it ends with s9) they can either free him, or Jack "sacrifices himself" to save them... somehow. :D

... Yeah, I like that.

prion
November 7th, 2004, 02:15 PM
If RDA does only appear in 4 episodes, it makes sense to recast a new character to bring some oopmh back to the show. This means if they do a 20 episode commitment, he won't be in 16 episodes. It would make sense to just leave the show and come back as a 'special guest star', butpart of the sale of the show is having RDA's name tacked on front, so I suspect that will never happen.

Maybe they can bring in rotating guest cast as a fourth team member...

mindwarped
November 7th, 2004, 02:55 PM
Add Adam Baldwin to the cast if RDA will only be in 4 episodes

AlphaBlu
November 7th, 2004, 03:52 PM
I have a question to pose.

As much as I liked Jonas, the writers did do a fairly ordinary job of developing his character. But do you think they could really develop Jonas if they brought him back for "another go".

What's happening now reminds me a lot of what happened at the end of Season 5. Daniel is my fav character, and initiatally I didn't want him to leave. However the addition of Jonas and the direction Season 6 took was a breath of fresh air to Stargate, and the show didn't need Daniel there. The episodes he was in worked very well, but that's all he had to do.

But with RDA, I think it's very different. I didn't like Season 7 much, and although there were more S7 episodes that I liked than ones I didn't like, overall the Season didn't feel very cohesive. RDA's presence (or lackthereof) was extremely noticible during the first two thirds of Season 7, and it took the writers a long time to get to grips with his reduced schedual. I think Birthright was the episode where they got it just about right for RDA's sceentime, and this was carried over quite well in Death Knell.

I like the direction they took with RDA's character in Season 8. Having him as a general meant that that they didn't have to come up with dumb reasons why he wouldn't be in an episode (like in *spits* Enemy Mine), or find place-holders to fill in his role (like in, again, *spits* Enemy Mine or in Fragile Balance). Having him as a general meant that he could show up very little in some episodes, and even be absent from them completely, and it didn't feel wrong.

Think of DSD, he wasn't in every episode, and also think about one of the best Season 6 episodes - Alliegence - where Hammond is in one whole scene (Jonas too) and the episode still worked really well.

But 4 episodes? Can you imagine any Season, 1-7, where Hammond only showed up for 4 episodes? The command figure is needed! What are they going to do, sit in the briefing room with the lights down and pretend that O'Neill is on the phone to the President all the time and can never appear for a schedualed briefing.

I think that if RDA's going to be in 4 episodes then he needs to throw himself into those episodes, that is, be the star, not just appearing in a few scenes because of a reduced schedual. Also, because they have several scripts done way in advance of filming, would be it so hard to maybe spend one or two days just filming a few little scenes with O'Neill as the general, just so we know he's there. Thinks like briefing scenes and other things that Hammond did even when it wasn't in most of the episode. That way he could be in 4 episodes, but still appear, albeit briefly, in another 6 or so episodes. That would atleast make sense, and it would also mean that the writers wouldn't have to have him retiring (again) or, worse, ascending.

And... umm... bring Jonas back. Give his character "another go". If anything it'll allow Teal'c to talk again, as he's hardly said a word since Season 6.

BYE

ShadowMaat
November 7th, 2004, 03:57 PM
I think that Hell would freeze over and the Red Sox would win-- Er, well, anyway, Hell would freeze over before TPTB would even CONSIDER bringing Jonas back for one ep, nevermind a whole season. *sigh* Sad, but that's the vibe I get.

AlphaBlu
November 7th, 2004, 04:04 PM
I think that Hell would freeze over and the Red Sox would win-- Er, well, anyway, Hell would freeze over before TPTB would even CONSIDER bringing Jonas back for one ep, nevermind a whole season. *sigh* Sad, but that's the vibe I get.

I tend to agree. TPTB are still doing almost everything in their power to forget that Season 6 ever happened, but it would be nice...

Hey, I'm surprised that they didn't have O'Neill getting out of the shower at the begining of Season 7 and going "Wow! It was all a dream!". ;)

BYE

Dana_Jeanne
November 7th, 2004, 04:06 PM
Re: Jonas. Michael Greenburg awas asked at that London Film Thing Con he was at this weekend if Jonas would be coming back. His answer was a very emphatic: No. He's gone.

Personally, I'd love to see Ferretti come back off and on for some episodes. I *think* Brent Staight is doing other things, but for a few episodes, it would be great to see him again. He's a very well-liked character in fan fiction, and he's from the 'old days' of the show so is familiar to the longer-viewers.

Who else? I believe Major Davis went off-world in a season six episode, didn't he? Have him on an episode or two or three.

Colonel Reynolds has popped up quite a bit so far this season-- let's have more of him.

Even better-- let's get Makepeace sprung and bring him back somehow.

There are a lot of friendly faces floating around the history of the series that could be brought in to fill the gaps. If it's someone the audience is familiar with we won't need to get used to a whole new character.

Dana Jeanne

GateTraveler
November 7th, 2004, 04:11 PM
Well I really feel that the show will be better off in S9 without the writers having to figure out how to write Jack as a bit part. They aren't very good at that. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I want him killed. He has meant too much to the show for that. They need to write him out with the thought that he could return again from time to time.

Meanwhile they need a new General and a new member of SG1. Perhaps the alien from The Fifth Man would be a candidate for the team. A shapeshifter with a good heart but ignorance of the human race would make for some good comedy banter with Tealc and the rest of the team. His shapeshifting and other abilities would also create an interesting advantage for the team in certain situations.

Dana_Jeanne
November 7th, 2004, 04:20 PM
Well I really feel that the show will be better off in S9 without the writers having to figure out how to write Jack as a bit part. They aren't very good at that. HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I want him killed. He has meant too much to the show for that. They need to write him out with the thought that he could return again from time to time.
Ohmygodno. Don't kill Jack. Even when I'd grown to dislike Carter in the second half of S7 I didn't want her killed. These four 'people' have been through way to much together; I know people die in war all the time, but I certainly don't need that kind of reality in my fictional escapes!

Jack may only PHYSICALLY be around for four episodes, but I hope they keep him alive by talking about him.

Actually, I don't see why he can't stay as the general; there's nothing that says we have to SEE the briefings. Even in the episodes where we didn't really see Hammond, we knew he was there, right? So, why not do the same with Jack?

Dana Jeanne

Skydiver
November 7th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Re: Jonas. Michael Greenburg awas asked at that London Film Thing Con he was at this weekend if Jonas would be coming back. His answer was a very emphatic: No. He's gone.

Personally, I'd love to see Ferretti come back off and on for some episodes. <snip>

Who else? I believe Major Davis went off-world in a season six episode, didn't he? Have him on an episode or two or three.

Colonel Reynolds has popped up quite a bit so far this season-- let's have more of him.

Even better-- let's get Makepeace sprung and bring him back somehow.

There are a lot of friendly faces floating around the history of the series that could be brought in to fill the gaps. If it's someone the audience is familiar with we won't need to get used to a whole new character.

Dana Jeanne

which really isn't all that many faces, given that the show's been on the air for 8 years.

It's horribly sad that Jonas is so easily dismissed. Wonder if they'll do a recall of all s6 dvd's and see if they can completely and totally erase jonas' presence??????

Maybe walter will go to combat training over the summer (in his combat cardigan of course ;) ) and he'll start going out on missions ;)

David85
November 7th, 2004, 06:13 PM
Jonus is the leader of his world. What more do you people want?

Skydiver
November 7th, 2004, 06:54 PM
Jonus is the leader of his world. What more do you people want?

how about seeing him every once in a while????

In all honesty, let's say they decided to bring in a 'new' character. What makes more sense:

Create a character from scratch and spend 20 eps juggling the end of the show and trying to develops said character....sound familiar?

or bring back an already established character so you can spend less time establishing him (i say him cause there's no way in hades they'll bring in a female) and more time developing him and the show

AlphaBlu
November 7th, 2004, 06:58 PM
Re: Jonas. Michael Greenburg awas asked at that London Film Thing Con he was at this weekend if Jonas would be coming back. His answer was a very emphatic: No. He's gone.Did he say why? Why do they want to get rid of Jonas?

And why are people wasting question time at Conventions asking "Will Jonas be back" when they should be asking "Why are you trying to forget that Season 6 ever happened?"

Remember that the only reason we have Season 8 is because Season 7 did so well, and the only reason that we had Season 7 was because Season 6 (y'know, the one with Jonas) revitalised what was supposed to be the show's final year, brought in new audiences and bigger ratings than ever before. I find it odd and somewhat insulting that they're going out of their way to supress Season 6.

BYE

GateTraveler
November 7th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Why do they have to try to "wrap everything up" every year and assume each year is the last one? This seems dumb to me. They should always assume there will be another year just like every other TV show does.

Virtually every show in existance faces the possibility of cancelation after (and sometimes even during) each season. SG1 has a distinct advantage over the rest. They can plan each season as if it isn't the last one knowing that they will always be able to wrap up whatever loose ends they have with a follow-on miniseries. SCIFI would certainly oblige them. Most other shows don't have that luxury.

AlphaBlu
November 7th, 2004, 07:16 PM
I have the oddest feeling now. Even though I didn't like Season 7, I was elated when I heard the news of Season 8. More Stargate, I thought. WOW!

But, for the first time ever, in the shows long run, I don't want any new Stargate episodes. I found it hard to accept that there are only 10 new episodes of Stargate ever, but now, thanks to the newsfor Season 9, I really wish that those last 10 episodes were the last 10 episodes.

I never thought I'd ever feel this way, but O'Neill in 4 eps, TPTB doing everything in their power to ignore Season 6, and the confirmation that Jonas is "gone", completely, I'm afraid that not even my fav character Daniel will be able to hold me to this show...

I'll just stick with Atlantis.

BYE

lionel_pendergast_rocks
November 7th, 2004, 07:48 PM
Well, I hope this means that there really will be a season nine. I can understand that RDA will only be in a few eps. They're probably just trying to write him out, so they give him a shows. That what i think. Can't wait for a confirmation thoguh.

keshou
November 7th, 2004, 07:51 PM
And why are people wasting question time at Conventions asking "Will Jonas be back" when they should be asking "Why are you trying to forget that Season 6 ever happened?"

I think they have incorporated several S6 stories and characters in later seasons. The Prometheus, the reporter from Prometheus, a character and plotline introduced in Unnatural Selection, Agent Barrett, follow-up on Tealc's story from Changeling. Ba'al. Felger.

It's mostly Jonas and his aborted storyline that has been dropped. That's why people ask about Jonas.

There has been plenty of comments on the boards and I assume letters asking for Jonas to make a guest appearance.

So why has he been completely swept under the rug and evidently will never be seen again? All I have are speculation and suspicions. I don't think we're ever going to know the whole story.

Sometimes things are done for reasons we're never going to know and it's not some vast conspiracy against the fans. I can't count the number of times I've seen posts requesting the return of Aris Boch and more on his story. Or requests for the Retu or a follow-up on the Nox. Hasn't happened. I'm pretty sure old Aris is in the same boat with Jonas. Never going to see them again. Why? who knows.

AlphaBlu
November 7th, 2004, 07:56 PM
Sometimes things are done for reasons we're never going to know and it's not some vast conspiracy against the fans. I can't count the number of times I've seen posts requesting the return of Aris Boch and more on his story. Or requests for the Retu or a follow-up on the Nox. Hasn't happened. I'm pretty sure old Aris is in the same boat with Jonas. Never going to see them again. Why? who knows.
You're equating Aris Boch and the Retu, two entities that existed for one episode each, to a character that spanned 3 Seasons?

BYE

keshou
November 7th, 2004, 08:08 PM
You're equating Aris Boch and the Retu, two entities that existed for one episode each, to a character that spanned 3 Seasons?
BYE
I'm simply saying there are often requests for characters and story arcs to continue that never happen. There have been many suggestions for Aris Boch and others to return. For years. Never happened. I've never been able to figure out why.

If they're ignoring a character that spans 3 seasons and has an aborted storyline and that lots of fans would like to see in at least a few more guest appearances. Well....I'm assuming they have their reasons and we're never going to know all the details. It's over.

I'm sorry for the Jonas fans. I don't think it was handled very well at all. I myself would have liked to have seen his storyline continued - he was just getting more interesting at the end of S6.

norriski
November 7th, 2004, 08:38 PM
Hey Mods I have an idea....

Is it possible that something like this thread be split into two threads.

What I'm suggesting is a thread something titled along the lines of - Positive or Pro Season 9, and one called = Negitive or Anti Season 9. (we have this with the ship threads....

I realized that everyone is entitled to their opinion and that's fine but I personality would like to try and avoid all the negititivity about this subject but in this thread it's not possible and it seems that for those of us that are happy there is going to be a season 9 and we try to voice our opinion we are in a sense being shot down by those negitive people. I'd like to be able to discuss what I think could be a great season and share ideas of what I might like to see without others whinning that they don't like the direction of the show....hey that's fine they don't have to like it but I do, and I just don't feel that those of us that are on the positive side of this issue are getting much respect (I'm generalizing so please no one take offense)...at anyrate what I'm asking is would it be OK to start the thread I mentioned above?

Thanks - Karen N

Major Fischer
November 7th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Throws the Foothold Aliens and the Giiiaaaaannnnttt Alllliiiiiiiieeeeeeeeennnns onto the pile of often requested by never to be continued plots.

Madeleine
November 7th, 2004, 09:43 PM
Norrski, if you want to start either of those threads that's fine :). I'm not going to do it though, I'm happy with this thread as it is, cos I think there's some good Discussing going on.

Erik Pasternak
November 7th, 2004, 09:57 PM
No offense ShadowMaat, but I believe that is what you said about season 8 before it started and correct me if I'm wrong but you have been watching it, no?

Don't ask me where you said you wouldn't be watching Season 8, I have no idea where it would be on the forum anymore but I do know you said it! ;)

Ace
I think she gave it a chance, and then decided it was getting downhill, so she stopped.

Ace
November 7th, 2004, 10:01 PM
I think she gave it a chance, and then decided it was getting downhill, so she stopped.

Downhill? Where are my glasses, I don't see any hills...I see stargates! Lots of beautiful stargates for at least one more season! :D

Ace

norriski
November 7th, 2004, 10:15 PM
Madeleone, that you...I think I will do that.

GateGipsy
November 8th, 2004, 03:17 AM
I was at the same event on Saturday as Sally. Unfortunately I didn't get to the internet until today - sorry everyone!

Chris was asked if he'd do any more writing for Stargate. He replied that he would, if there was a Season Nine. Dan Shea commented that if there was a season nine, Chris should write episodes for it as he's a great writer.

Michael Greenburg then stepped in and said, unambiguously, 'Chris will be writing for Stargate again.'

So yes, that does sound like a definite season nine.

Keep an eye out on GateWorld for the full news story on the SG1 Panel at London Film and Comic Con.

ShadowMaat
November 8th, 2004, 03:39 AM
I'd prefer an open discussion with BOTH sides sounding off.

Downhill? Where are my glasses, I don't see any hills...I see stargates! Lots of beautiful stargates for at least one more season!
Well, that's your opinion, isn't it? :) As Rocky said, I've given S8 a shot and found it mostly lacking. There are a couple eps I'm curious about, but other than that, I don't plan to do much watching.

Slainte
November 8th, 2004, 06:00 AM
Chris was asked if he'd do any more writing for Stargate. He replied that he would, if there was a Season Nine. Dan Shea commented that if there was a season nine, Chris should write episodes for it as he's a great writer.

Michael Greenburg then stepped in and said, unambiguously, 'Chris will be writing for Stargate again.'

So yes, that does sound like a definite season nine.

I just find it very odd that the announcement about S2 Atlantis and S9 SG-1 hasn't been made yet. It's November 8! I would definitely like to know what's going on behind the scenes. SG-1's delayed announcement I can understand, but Atlantis should be all set to go. The only reason I can think of for the delay is that they want to make the announcements for both shows together.

This delay may mean the same troubles that plague S7, a scramble to get scripts completed by the time filming started.

Chris still could end up writing for Stargate, Stargate Atlantis.

Major Fischer
November 8th, 2004, 06:20 AM
I would bet that they've known for certain since October at the very least, when the Official Magazine said their would be Season 9 news in the next issue. It would seem to me that it would be more logical to assume that this is a marketing ploy to boost the magazine's cache with fans as "the first place exclusive news" can be found.

It's sort of AT's pregnacy. TPTB have likely known a long time before public announcements are made.

GateGipsy
November 8th, 2004, 08:02 AM
I just find it very odd that the announcement about S2 Atlantis and S9 SG-1 hasn't been made yet. It's November 8! I would definitely like to know what's going on behind the scenes. SG-1's delayed announcement I can understand, but Atlantis should be all set to go. The only reason I can think of for the delay is that they want to make the announcements for both shows together.

This delay may mean the same troubles that plague S7, a scramble to get scripts completed by the time filming started.

Chris still could end up writing for Stargate, Stargate Atlantis.
I thought that Season 2 was a definite for Atlantis. I think we even had a 'congrat's' thread around here somewhere for it. Or did I dream that?

Major Fischer
November 8th, 2004, 08:05 AM
I thought that Season 2 was a definite for Atlantis. I think we even had a 'congrat's' thread around here somewhere for it. Or did I dream that?

Flanigan has talked about it publically, and said that filming starts in Feb, but no "official" confirmation.

Wass
November 8th, 2004, 11:35 AM

Or they are still having trouble finalising the money aspects of the show with MGM and Sci-fi.

Dana_Jeanne
November 8th, 2004, 01:50 PM
I was at the same event on Saturday as Sally. Michael Greenburg then stepped in and said, unambiguously, 'Chris will be writing for Stargate again.' So yes, that does sound like a definite season nine.

Well, I hope they hurry up and announce it, the waiting is driving me crazee :eek:

And while I wish RDA was in more than 4 eps, there are ways to keep him "alive" without seeing him physically. Aside from the 4 eps they can talk about him and so on.

I hope we'll see more of Daniel and Teal'c (and Sam when AT) comes back interacting with each other (as opposed to those generally boring GC of the week) and without all the love interests thrown in. I like seeing them all together as friends. You know, us against the world, the way it was in the beginning?

And being a Daniel fan, I would love to see Michael Shanks step up and take over from RDA as the lead character.

Dana Jeanne

Lulu
November 8th, 2004, 02:15 PM
Well, I would've been upset a few seasons back at having RDA in only 4 eps, but I've got used to RDA not being around much. I'd be looking forward to a s9, even if RDA didn't appear at all.

If it's handled right this new dynamic could be very good for the show.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with Sam.

And as I'm a big Daniel fan, I hope it means an interesting s9 for his
character, and good plots for him and Teal'c

David85
November 8th, 2004, 04:00 PM
Season 6 worked out great, watching it now, rather nice, but the last two seasons have been crap, they don't take risks.

Because of this I have no hope for season 9. They should have introduced some new people this season and didn't.

ShadowMaat
November 8th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Do you really think that getting rid of RDA will magically solve all the problems on the show? Or will it just make them that much more obvious? :P

prion
November 8th, 2004, 04:24 PM
Flanigan has talked about it publically, and said that filming starts in Feb, but no "official" confirmation.

Actually, that's wrong. Flanigan never said the show was renewed, the article did; however... Scifi.com has now EDITED the article!

Okay, here's the source article:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-11/02/12.00.sfc

however, it has been EDITED.

The second paragraph originally read
"Flanigan recently wrapped production on season one of Atlantis and
will return to the show's Vancouver, B.C., set in February 2005 to
begin filming year two. "What we'll find out is that Atlantis
actually serves ....

It now reads
"Flanigan recently wrapped production on season one of Atlantis. "What we'll find out is that Atlantis actually ....

So, they took out that one key sentence. Did Scifi jump the gun, or what?

Slainte
November 8th, 2004, 04:47 PM
Actually, that's wrong. Flanigan never said the show was renewed, the article did; however... Scifi.com has now EDITED the article!

Okay, here's the source article:

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2004-11/02/12.00.sfc

however, it has been EDITED.

The second paragraph originally read
"Flanigan recently wrapped production on season one of Atlantis and
will return to the show's Vancouver, B.C., set in February 2005 to
begin filming year two. "What we'll find out is that Atlantis
actually serves ....

It now reads
"Flanigan recently wrapped production on season one of Atlantis. "What we'll find out is that Atlantis actually ....

So, they took out that one key sentence. Did Scifi jump the gun, or what?
This is the same SciFi that canceled Farscape, after all. I wouldn't bet on anything.

prion
November 8th, 2004, 04:50 PM
This is the same SciFi that canceled Farscape, after all. I wouldn't bet on anything.

I know. If Scifi doesn't renew Atlantis for some unfathomable reason, and they lose RDA, and SG1 just slowly falls apart, they lose the entire Stargate franchise. Then the network has what? reality shows and giant bug flicks??

Aieee...........

Major Fischer
November 8th, 2004, 05:23 PM
Might be a contractial thing where the francise has agreed to make the announcement at a certian time or place in order to grant an exclusive.

David85
November 8th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Do you really think that getting rid of RDA will magically solve all the problems on the show? Or will it just make them that much more obvious? :P

It will doom the franchise.

They should have seen this coming and let more charaters on the show. Even if they introduce things and they think it is the last season they still should do new things. They know they will at least have one movie to close things up with anyways.

semagic
November 8th, 2004, 06:04 PM
. They lost most chance of going out with a bang when they signed up for S7. S8 started off well, but has been shambling badly ever since. .... Do you really think they can be consistently better next season? Especially knowing they're losing their "powerhouse" player, RDA?

Going out with a bang in season six? That's funny. :rolleyes:

And RDA has been a very hit and miss powerhouse for several years. He left the building a long time ago, let him go and rebuild SG-1 with a new, interested, involved powerhouse. Or make better use of the other three they already have. This is an talented group, they can handle it if the writers will let them. They should have been promoting the group all along instead of putting all their eggs in an RDA shaped basket.

Madeleine
November 8th, 2004, 06:16 PM
I reckon they don't want to officially announce one 'till the other can be announced too. Otherwise it would lose face for whichever show was not announced.

Dana_Jeanne
November 8th, 2004, 06:46 PM
Going out with a bang in season six? That's funny. :rolleyes:

And RDA has been a very hit and miss powerhouse for several years. He left the building a long time ago, let him go and rebuild SG-1 with a new, interested, involved powerhouse. Or make better use of the other three they already have. This is an talented group, they can handle it if the writers will let them. They should have been promoting the group all along instead of putting all their eggs in an RDA shaped basket.

Yes, if we were still getting 100% of RDA's acting talent the way we did in the first few seasons, before he got bored, then I would be a lot sadder at the news that he's only in four episodes IF there's a S9. However, the way he and the writers have turned a strong, intelligent leader into a joking idiot in the last few years I'm afraid I'm not really going to miss him much at all.

I don't think RDA not being on the show is going to improve the writing any (was that Shadowmaat who asked if anybody really thought that was the case?) as he's not the one writing the scripts. I DO think him being absent will make it easier on the writers since they won't have to be doing the 'insert Jack here' business in all the scripts. Hopefully THAT will help with some improvement.

I really, really REALLY hope that this gives us more of Daniel, Teal'c and Carter **together**. Since they won't have to work around RDA, they can go back to the way they used to film the episodes and not have to do two, three, four at the same time.

I've enjoyed watching Daniel and Teal'c play off each other in S8; where once the Jack and Daniel show was my favorite, now I'm all for the Daniel and Teal'c and Carter show. Jack left the building back in S4, I'm afraid.

Dana Jeanne

Skydiver
November 8th, 2004, 06:48 PM
Or, and bear inmind that i am really speaking with the greatest respect....remember last year? when rumors were leaked about the addition of two new characters? a male and a female that seeemd to fit right into sam and daniel's slots?

then s8 was announced and these two new characters just faded away, sorta leaving the impression that they were never going to happen in the first place.

well what if this is like that? A little testing of the waters or negotiating tactic?

David85
November 8th, 2004, 06:52 PM
^ I still belive this is a rumour until Sci-Fi come sout and says it will happen.

Skydiver
November 8th, 2004, 06:58 PM
^ I still belive this is a rumour until Sci-Fi come sout and says it will happen.

yep. it ain't official until the fat lady sings, or in thie case Scifi and MGM

David85
November 8th, 2004, 07:00 PM
So in this case fat ladies... :)

GateGipsy
November 9th, 2004, 02:30 AM
Well, I hope they hurry up and announce it, the waiting is driving me crazee :eek:

And while I wish RDA was in more than 4 eps, there are ways to keep him "alive" without seeing him physically. Aside from the 4 eps they can talk about him and so on.

I hope we'll see more of Daniel and Teal'c (and Sam when AT) comes back interacting with each other (as opposed to those generally boring GC of the week) and without all the love interests thrown in. I like seeing them all together as friends. You know, us against the world, the way it was in the beginning?

And being a Daniel fan, I would love to see Michael Shanks step up and take over from RDA as the lead character.

Dana Jeanne
Too true, there are ways to keep him alive. I remember in Season 5, the episode that followed Meridian - Revelations - had no Daniel in it, yet I felt his presence strongly throughout, and it felt like the most team oriented ep of the season, bizarrely enough.

samjack4ever
November 9th, 2004, 02:47 AM
Yes, if we were still getting 100% of RDA's acting talent the way we did in the first few seasons, before he got bored, then I would be a lot sadder at the news that he's only in four episodes IF there's a S9. However, the way he and the writers have turned a strong, intelligent leader into a joking idiot in the last few years I'm afraid I'm not really going to miss him much at all.

Dana JeanneI'm so glad someone else thinks this as well... This season especially RDA - or should that be Jack - has been getting on my nerves. He's not acting like a leader. Then again we have only seen the first 5 episodes of S8 (UK) and I'm hoping things will improve.

If Jack is only going to be in 4 episodes then bring Hammond back... Please!

GateTraveler
November 9th, 2004, 04:44 PM

While not officially confirmed by MGM or SCIFI, I wouldn't consider direct quotes from Michael Greenburg a rumour either. He actually said these things at the London con, right?

I believe S9 is pretty much a done deal but the stuff about Jack may be how things stand right now with S9. It may change by the time filming begins.

prion
November 9th, 2004, 05:04 PM
While not officially confirmed by MGM or SCIFI, I wouldn't consider direct quotes from Michael Greenburg a rumour either. He actually said these things at the London con, right?

I believe S9 is pretty much a done deal but the stuff about Jack may be how things stand right now with S9. It may change by the time filming begins.

I thikn we'll get a shot here and there of Jack, and quite honestly, wish they'd do all his episodes upfront, then send him off somewhere for the rest of the season and let plots develop independently of him .... because.... the writers having to insert Jack into each episode actually holds back plots. You know that the 'ship' stuff ain't gonna get resolved if Jack is in just 4 episodes...

KayMan2k
November 9th, 2004, 08:58 PM
Did he say why? Why do they want to get rid of Jonas?

How, exactly, are TPTB forgetting that season 6 ever happened? It had some very powerful episodes which have been referenced back to in both Seasons 7 + 8. Other than the lack of Jonas, many plots from that season have returned or referenced.

Jonas is not coming back because he and Daniel Jackson play the same role on the team, it would be redudant and hard to write for.

Livi2Jack
November 10th, 2004, 08:00 AM
I would watch RDA read the phone book. We need to petition for more Jack. Here's to S9!

Jack we need you!

Dana_Jeanne
November 10th, 2004, 10:39 AM
And why are people wasting question time at Conventions asking "Will Jonas be back" when they should be asking "Why are you trying to forget that Season 6 ever happened?".

I don't think anybody is trying to forget S6 ever happened, not even the people who only watched three episodes. You really can't ignore it because too many things that happened in S6 were carried over into S7 and S8.

I think those who like Jonas are lucky he didn't get killed off. When you think of how many cahracters have bit the dust over the years--popular characters--it's nice to know that Jonas is at least alive and well on whatever the renamed Kelowna is.

As to why they won't be bringing Jonas back--that's a question for TPTB. Someone can ask PDL, he's going to be at a convention this month somewhere in europe, I think.

Back to Season 9 (and I WISH they'd make a decision and put us all out of our misery!). I still have mixed feelings about it. I can watch Daniel till the cows have come home, been milked and gone to sleep <G> :o According to Greenburg it's a done deal that RDA will only be in 4 eps IF...yadda.

My hope? Since they don't have to write around RDA's schedule (or pay RDA his regular salery!) that this will free up the writers so they can write more stories with mythology, exploration and off-world stuff. I have no problem with stand-alone episodes; I don't feel that story-arcs are the end-all, be-all of a TV show.

And, I have a tiny hope that maybe we might be able to re-visit some of the races from the first few years, find out for sure what happened to the Tollen and so forth.

My mixed feelings? That the writers will be so busy still concentrating on Atlantis, that we'll end up with an entire season of episodes like Avenger 2.0, Space Race, Grace, Affinity, and so on--episodes that I, personally, don't like.

Dana Jeanne

GhostPoet
November 10th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Season 9 is good news...IF it doesn't involve a bunch of earth stories.

ShadowMaat
November 10th, 2004, 11:13 AM
I think those who like Jonas are lucky he didn't get killed off.
Actually, I almost wish they HAD killed him off. At least it would be a definitive close to his storyline instead of shoving him out the gate never to be heard from again. :mad:

As to why they won't be bringing Jonas back--that's a question for TPTB. Someone can ask PDL, he's going to be at a convention this month somewhere in europe, I think.
Oh, we'll never get an answer on that. They'll keep on spewing out the politically correct answer they always give, probably something about the storylines just not working out that way.

PDL will be at the L3 con... with Corin. You have even less chance of getting a real answer in that case.

S9... I still think it's a suicidal move and will hurt the show more than it helps.

GateTraveler
November 10th, 2004, 12:34 PM
I don't think the writers will ever be able to win with some. They seem to take criticism no matter what they write. It used to be that people would whine that a stand-alone off world episode was "filler" and not contributing to the overall story arcs. Now people look back on these episodes as the "good 'ol days" when they were off world exploring :rolleyes: I'm sure that if they were still doing the type of episodes in S1, S2, and S3 then some would be criticising the show for displaying no "growth" and taking no risks.

If you look back with a fair eye, I think the writers have done a whale of a good job at writing a wide variety of episodes and have taken a number of risks (Grace, Wormhole Extreme, Affinity, etc.) Yes, many haven't liked some of these "risk" episodes but the writers have shown that they aren't afraid to experiment with a number of different ideas. Now people are saying they are trying to shove S6 under the rug when they have referenced S6 episodes plenty of times. :rolleyes:

The audience for SG1 would not be continuing to grow well into their 8th season (an amazing achievement) if they weren't doing something right.

Wass
November 10th, 2004, 12:56 PM
To a certain extent I agree with some of your point GateTraveler my problem is weather the show will be as good as it is now if season 9 is without RDA. I think they should let the show rest on high.

Major Fischer
November 10th, 2004, 01:01 PM
To a certain extent I agree with some of your point GateTraveler my problem is weather the show will be as good as it is now if season 9 is without RDA. I think they should let the show rest on high.

I guess that depends on if you think of Jack as a high point of the show.

I don't. Truth be told, more times than not he annoys me, and makes the situation unbelievable for me. This is not a slight on RDA.

Beatrice Otter
November 10th, 2004, 01:28 PM
I guess that depends on if you think of Jack as a high point of the show.

I don't. Truth be told, more times than not he annoys me, and makes the situation unbelievable for me. This is not a slight on RDA.
Jack as unbelievable? What, that a colonel in the AF would be such a smartass?

In an interview, RDA mentioned this (I'm not sure what interview, but someone on the forum uses it for their sig). Seems that when General Ryan got a guest appearance as himself ("Prodigy," s4, I think), RDA asked him if there were really colonels in the AF who were as ... mouthy and sarcastic as he was. Ryan's answer was that there were, and actually some who were _worse_. So that doesn't bother me. And he seems to be playing dumb a lot of the time, which I don't like, but I know people who do that. When push comes to shove he can drop the act and get things done.

Major Fischer
November 10th, 2004, 01:33 PM

No. That an air force general would display no organizational abilities what so ever. That Jack, who we've seen be decisive and engaged would seem to be sleep walking through his job and be indecisive when he knows that his lack of decision could mean life and death as much as the wrong decision.

I don't have any problem with him being a smartass. I do think that they've overplayed "silly jack" in recent years, but that has very little to do with the fundmental ... I'm sorry to say it... incompetence I see in General Jack.

ShadowMaat
November 10th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Acutally, what MF said was that it, "...makes the situation unbelievable for me." There may be real people in the military just like Jack (or worse) but when it comes to personal opinion, that doesn't always matter.

I tend to agree with MF. Jack has been becoming an increasingly unrealistic- or at least increasingly unpalatable- character over the years. Sarcasm, yes, but the increasing stupidity (whether it's feigned or otherwise) and the general nasty attitude are more unforgiveable. I'm sure a lot of people will say Jack isn't any more stupid than ever and/or that he doesn't have a nasty attitude, but that's the way that I personally see it and I don't care for it. And, as MF has said, he's wishy-washy, too and seems incapable of making vital command decisions in time.

I find it flat-out impossible that Jack could ever make it to the rank of General, nevermind be in command of the base. Sorry, but that still isn't working for me. I'm not sure I'd buy it even if Jack was the same (IMO) stronger, smarter, more together character he was in the early seasons of the show.

Shipperahoy
November 10th, 2004, 01:40 PM
I, personally, don't see Jack as incompetant as much an in over his head. It's the whole fish out of water thing. I think when it comes down to it he knows his job and isn't going to lose it in a crisis.

ShadowMaat
November 10th, 2004, 01:45 PM
I, personally, don't see Jack as incompetant as much an in over his head. It's the whole fish out of water thing. I think when it comes down to it he knows his job and isn't going to lose it in a crisis.
Hate to disagree with you, SA, but what I saw of Jack's "command abilities" in Endgame lead me to question his fitness for command. Yes, he's in over his head, yes, he's gonna have personal feelings but if he expects to dohis job well he's going to have to make the tough decisions no matter what instead of hemming and hawing and letting the situation decide for him.

GateTraveler
November 10th, 2004, 01:50 PM
You know how I really know the writers are doing a good job and have confidence about S9? Go back and look at some of the threads here about people's favorite episodes and least favorite. It really is interesting if you do it. Look at some of the rankings. Its amazing how often what's at the bottom of some people's list is at the top of others.

Take Grace for example. Some people list it as the absolute worst episode of the entire series yet some people rank it as one of the best of S7. I would call that a successful risk yet some point to it as evidence that the show is faultering. (Some even rank S7 as one of the better seasons of SG1 :eek: )

I think it would be better to just go into the season expecting that you probably will like a good many of the episodes, some you will probably think are great, a few meh, and one or two you will dislike a lot. That is how most of the seasons have been for me. Yes some have had a higher ratio of great to average but overall I think the show is doing fine and will continue to do so in S9. They obviously won't please each individual with every episode but I don't think that is possible - at least it isn't if the writers are worth their salt.

Major Fischer
November 10th, 2004, 01:56 PM
Hate to disagree with you, SA, but what I saw of Jack's "command abilities" in Endgame lead me to question his fitness for command. Yes, he's in over his head, yes, he's gonna have personal feelings but if he expects to dohis job well he's going to have to make the tough decisions no matter what instead of hemming and hawing and letting the situation decide for him.

Exactly. I think this is the greatest problem with General Jack, but I don't think the other problem can be completely dismissed either. He's a colonel whose "never had a desk." There are important things about desk work, logistics, support, operations. There are people who are specialists in this sort of thing. I got the feeling Hammond had been one of them.

I can't help but think that Jack couldn't propose an SGC budget to save his life. Yet Hammond TALKS about what he's trying to get accomplished in it. The people with the bullets and the bravery need things so that they can be effective. I have trouble believing that Jack can provide those things, and in it's own ways I think that is just as dangerous as his near criminal indecision.

Wass
November 10th, 2004, 01:57 PM

LOL, it's not just RDA I think the show should go out on high and give Atlantis a chance because I think at the moment Atlantis is being over shadowed by SG-1. If sg-1 ends it will allow TPTB to focus on Atlantis and also it will allow Atlantis to spread it's wings.

ShadowMaat
November 10th, 2004, 02:04 PM
can't help but think that Jack couldn't propose an SGC budget to save his life. Yet Hammond TALKS about what he's trying to get accomplished in it. The people with the bullets and the bravery need things so that they can be effective. I have trouble believing that Jack can provide those things, and in it's own ways I think that is just as dangerous as his near criminal indecision.
Jack is darn lucky he has Walter on his side. Something tells me he's the one doing most of the "dirty work". ;)

David85
November 10th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Hammond would have done the same thing, and did. He and Jack would both do anything to save SG-1.

Skydiver
November 10th, 2004, 04:33 PM
evey commander has his own style. Jack's is rather casual, you can tell that in how he dresses.

It's tough to go from friend to boss and it's a transition that some never make. I mean, even sam had a hard time finding the new boundaries (remember her tenseness over protocol and how to act in zero hour and others?)

and, take it from someone whose parent is in that early 50's age group, they tend to start a 'i have been on this earth for 50 years and by god, it's about time folks start doing things my way' attitude :)

Livi2Jack
November 11th, 2004, 08:11 AM
Hammond would have done the same thing, and did. He and Jack would both do anything to save SG-1.
Saving SG1 allowed the NID rogues the opportunity to kill TENS of millions of Jaffa. Hammond would have made the tough call to blowup the team. And this is why I like the Jack character. He is very flawed. And being so flawed balances out all the superhuman abilities he has vis a vis the Ancient Gene etc. And I would point out that he handled the Camulus/Baal confrontations with real skill in Zero Hour.

Slainte
November 11th, 2004, 08:55 AM
Exactly. I think this is the greatest problem with General Jack, but I don't think the other problem can be completely dismissed either. He's a colonel whose "never had a desk." There are important things about desk work, logistics, support, operations. There are people who are specialists in this sort of thing. I got the feeling Hammond had been one of them.

I can't help but think that Jack couldn't propose an SGC budget to save his life. Yet Hammond TALKS about what he's trying to get accomplished in it. The people with the bullets and the bravery need things so that they can be effective. I have trouble believing that Jack can provide those things, and in it's own ways I think that is just as dangerous as his near criminal indecision.I, too, have some doubts about General Jack's admin skills, but Jack, due to his experience and knowledge of the SGC and the Goa'uld, is probably the best person right now at the SGC. Other people can make sure Jack attends to the administrative detail, or do it themselves. Jack with his rapport with Thor and experience with the other extraterrestrial dangers Earth faces brings an ability to the job no one else has yet other than Hammond.

Considering all the pros and cons of General Jack, I think the pros win out.

Dana_Jeanne
November 11th, 2004, 08:44 PM
Saving SG1 allowed the NID rogues the opportunity to kill TENS of millions of Jaffa. Hammond would have made the tough call to blowup the team.
Oh, I don't know that Hammond would have allowed the ship to be blown up, after all, the Stargate was also on board.

I think we're off topic, aren't we?

Hello? MGM? SCIFI? ANYBODY? Season 9???? It's almost Turkey Day in the US, we need something to be thankful for....

Dana Jeanne

Dr. Weir's Hair Gel
November 11th, 2004, 09:20 PM
I like RDA a lot, but I honestly believe that some of the creative stagnation of the past two years has been a result of them trying to incorporate him heavily without him actually being in much. I think it is possible to greatly increase the quality if they can focus on writing episodes WITHOUT having to worry about working RDA in to every story in some important but small part. I also think having him guest in 4 eps is a good idea... it worked very well when Michael Shanks did that in the 6th Season, IMHO.

Dana_Jeanne
November 11th, 2004, 11:15 PM
I like RDA a lot, but I honestly believe that some of the creative stagnation of the past two years has been a result of them trying to incorporate him heavily without him actually being in much. I think it is possible to greatly increase the quality if they can focus on writing episodes WITHOUT having to worry about working RDA in to every story in some important but small part. I also think having him guest in 4 eps is a good idea... it worked very well when Michael Shanks did that in the 6th Season, IMHO.
This is exactly what I'm crossing my fingers for. I can't imagine how they can keep a high quality control on a show where they're filming two and three episodes simultaneously. No matter how good a person is at their job, working at that "speed" is going to create mistakes, and some of the "oopses" that have popped in the last two years I feel are a direct result of trying to do to much at once.

It lessons everyone: writers, producers, directors, and the actors. MS and CJ have both said at several cons how confusing it is, using the two S& episodes where Carter is missing (um, Death Knell and Grace?) as an example. They didn't know which episode they were in, they just knew Carter was missing and they were supposed to be worried. Now, I'm sure some of that is exaggeration for the audience, but there's still probably some truth in there.

How can you give your best when you're so rushed you don't know which end is up? With RDA only doing four episodes, that should give everyone more time to create the other 16 episodes without him in them.

This is nothing against RDA, btw, he's hung in there for a lot longer than some would in a show he's not really interested in anymore. He's said in several interviews that he's all excited at first, but then gets bored after two or three years. Unfortunately, he shows that boredom in his scenes.

Dana Jeanne

kiwigater
November 12th, 2004, 02:55 AM
Gosh, was MS in only 4 eps??? It felt like he was there all the time! I kept thinking "eh?? Again??? I thought he was gone??". Don't get me wrong, I loooove Daniel *drools*, but they clearly used his time wisely.
And I agree with you *does double take at screen name, um, interesting :D* if they weren't trying to work around RDA's schedule they might be able to concentrate on writing better, less earth bound stories.

ShadowMaat
November 12th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Earth-bound stories are a budget concern, not a casting concern, so chances are there will still be earth-bound eps.

Then again, if they don't have to pay RDA's paycheck, maybe they'll have more money for other things. :P Unless he asked for obscene amounts for those four appearances, in which case they may have even LESS of a budget! ;)

GateGipsy
November 12th, 2004, 01:23 PM
The source for the story quoted at the beginning of this thread, is reliable and someone I know in real life.

However, before people get too upset about RDA's reduced appearances, keep in mind that Michael Greenburg did not make this statement in a public appearance. It was made privately. At no point in the panel did he mention RDA's appearances in Season 9.

A report on the panel will be appearing on GateWorld soon, as will a full transcript of the panel session (but a bit later as that takes longer to do).

prion
November 12th, 2004, 01:28 PM
This is nothing against RDA, btw, he's hung in there for a lot longer than some would in a show he's not really interested in anymore. He's said in several interviews that he's all excited at first, but then gets bored after two or three years. Unfortunately, he shows that boredom in his scenes.

Dana Jeanne

Agree. RDA is a very good actor, capable of a lot more than what he's been giving us these past couple seasons. He acts like he's really not interested, just going through the motions, and alas it shows. The show needs to make a hard decision on where the storylines will proceed, and if they keep RDA in the fold, to keep him literally in four episodes, not two minutes here or there. That will free up the rest of hte cast and writers to do a better job, rather than trying to multi-task.

And I am all for bringing in a brand -new character to join SG1 (I'd love to see Makepeace, but we'll never have that). A new military person who could cause a few ripples and bring back some life to the team (right now, they remind me of people who go to a 9-to-5 office job, not off world to battle aliens).

keshou
November 12th, 2004, 02:16 PM
I agree and this point gives me some optimism that they could pull off season 9. As much as I love Jack and what he brings to the show -- that is when the character is being utilized as strong, snarky Jack, natural leader of his team -- the last two years have been kind of rough as they've tried to insert his limited scenes into as many episodes as possible. I actually think they've done a good job considering all the logistical and budget issues they've been battling but too often Jack has been reduced to being used as comic relief or appearing in scenes with little emotional impact.

If they can use Jack's four episodes as a strong story arc in the same manner as Daniel was used in S6, then it might be less of a distraction to seeing the team off on adventures with a new charismatic actor/actress on board as part of the group.

I still think it's going to be a big change for the series. The writing staff will cotinue to be stressed from producing scripts for two series unless they bring in someone new. They'll continue to have budget woes unless RDA's exit frees up a significant amount of funds. This late renewal decision by Scifi isn't going to help anything either as I recall that being an issue in the rush to get scripts out at the beginning of S7.

So I guess I'm just in the mode of watching for the announcement and seeing how it goes. :D

Albion
November 13th, 2004, 11:28 AM
I can only agree with the last few posters. Although I've been really enjoying S8 so far and RDA's appearances, there has, for me, definitely been something lacking there. A loss of some spark. I want to see Jack in all his guises - not just as the occasional static prop to toss off some comic one-liner. Even if those do still make me laugh. I want to see him as the man of action, the caring team leader, the smart problem-solver - and many more. And I've been missing that, mostly, this season.

Without that balance, his appearances so far this season have been less enthralling than in previous years. Although the spoilers for the season's second half suggest that perhaps we'll get more of those aspects of Jack before the season finale, so perhaps it's too early to be making judgements, just yet.