Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outline for Stargate: Infinity-What do you think?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outline for Stargate: Infinity-What do you think?

Basically, this outline sets the stage for Stargate: Infinity, based on the journies of three tau'ri ships, the destiny, the infinity and the prophecy. It takes place in the caleum galaxy, said to be the last place of refuge for the ancients. For those of you who read the short-lived threadThe caleum chronicles, some of this will sound familiar, some of it will have changed, and some of it will have been deleted all together. I wont explain it all here because you can just check out the site above to get most of the info. please! tell me what you think, whether you like it or not, and what questions you have. oh yeah, one cool thing about the caleum galaxy, the chevrons glow white on the stargate. i know its kind of long, but, i cant condense my ideas into just a paragraph or two.

Close to 10,000 years ago, a small, secret group of Ancients, the last of their kind, came to the Caleum Galaxy from earth, after fleeing the Wraith in Atlantis, by way of a great ship, one which was lost , never to have been seen again. Upon their arrival, they established a starbase in an area known as the Caleum Fog, where they attempted to rebuild their once powerful society. It is known, that for a short time, the Ancients moved outside of their territory, and were able to establish a sizeable Stargate network among thousands of worlds. One which could be accessed onboard ships, even if the ship is not in orbit around a planet. But close to 4000 years ago, it is rumored, that all Ancient activity ceased, and the last threads of their civilization lost. At around the same time, a new race, known as the Anterac began to appear in the place of the Ancients, starting to take control of small pieces of the galaxy.

In the beginning of their rule, the Anterac, a race of “dark” beings, with supernatural powers, mastered the science of genetic engineering, using their skills to create the strongest warriors known in that part of the universe. With their armies, the Anterac soldiers scoured thousands of worlds, using the Stargate technology to do so. Within several thousand years, the Anterac had grown to dominate the majority of the Caleum Galaxy, and had made a number of enemies, although, none of them could measure up to the level of power of the Anterac.

The real secret behind the Anterac is this: many thousands of years ago, as the Ancients were perfecting ascension, a somewhat rogue scientist, known as Dalomir, researched different methods by which Ancients could ascend, all of which had been disapproved by the Ancient Council of Science. So, in effect, his work was illegal, although he claimed it was for science, and science alone. After many years of testing and researching, Dalomir was ready to test his experiment; to ascend to the most perfect form of being, even higher than that of Oma Desala and many other Ancients. But since his work was deemed illegal, he could trust no one to perform it on, but himself.

His experiment was a success, but instead of ascending like other Ancients, he “descended” to a form of being unlike any before. A being who could interfere with the universe, much unlike the ascended ones. Once the descension process was complete, Dalomir’s mind was corrupted, and was bent by his primal urges for power. Realizing what powers he possessed, he unleashed on the Ancients his full potential, destroying entire worlds at a time, killing millions, forcing the Ancients into a war that would last close to a thousand years.

With his few Ancient followers, Dalomir began to dominate the Caleum Galaxy, pushing the Ancients further into their original region of the galaxy, and finally to the original starbase from which they began again their civilization. The only reason this happened was that the Ancient council refused to grant necessary powers to the Ascendants which would let them make war on Dalomir and his servants, even though the majority of the Ancients had ascended by that time. But in one last effort, Oma Desala, leader of the Ascended, granted them their powers, and in a final battle at what is known as Genesis Starbase, the largest battle ever waged took place between the ascended and the descended. But, it was too late, and the
    Ancients, too few in number, were massacred by Dalomir’s once-Ancient forces. Ironically, Dalomir was one of the first to perish.

And so 4000 years ago, the victorious Anterac took control of the Caleum Galaxy, and have been the enemy of it’s people ever since. But little to the knowledge of the Anterac, a small group ascended Ancients still exists in the galaxies where they once ruled, including the Milky Way, Pegasus, and even the Caleum galaxy, only, in the Caleum Galaxy, these ascended ones still have the powers once granted by Desala, (desala was not in the battle) but are too few to be of any consequence. Not many races of the Caleum Galaxy know this secret, and the Anterac will kill to keep it that way. The anterac are now few in number, but their genetically engineered soldiers, the gorbold, can be found on may worlds, lying in wait.

Although the Anterac control much of the Caleum Galaxy, there are still those who resist their tyranny, and those who do not even know of them. The strongest of these powers is known as “the alliance”. Made up of the most advanced human powers, the Alliance has been around for nearly 50 years, resisting the Anterac and their warriors at every turn. These powers are specifically, the Durosian, most advanced of the alliance, the Marntu, masters of robotics, the Teledar, a nomadic people, the Steruc, third most advanced of the alliance, the Talloran, an offshoot of humans, and most recently, a small number of Tau’ri, a race from a distance galaxy known as the Milky Way who are searching for the last of the Ancients. This alliance protects the lesser humans of the galaxy whenever possible.

Recently, these Tau’ri have been exploring the galaxy with three ships, not quite as advanced as the rest of those in the alliance. They quickly allied themselves with the Talloran, and just as quickly encountered the Anterac, as well as the Replicators, who arrived only several years before. Ever since the Tau’ri appeared, the Anterac have heightened their efforts to destroy the alliance, as if they do not want the Tau’ri to find what they are searching for.
    ROFLMAO Check This Out!!!

there was already a Stargate cartoon spin-off called "Infinity," although many of the fans like to deny its existance.

but other than that, sounds cool!

Comment

hmm. i never knew that. maybe ill think about changing the name.
      thanks

Comment

I don't think Oma was ever the leader of the Ancients; in fact, I'm not 100% convinced she was ever an Ancient, but that's just me. If she was their leader and a war hero, why did she have to go rogue to do her 'great work' of Ascending other races. Personally, I'd find it more likely to see Oma working alongside Dalomir.

Also, the Ancients aren't incapable of interfering, they've just chosen not to; as Ascended can be - with varying degrees of success - descended, if the power could be taken away from them without descending them (or by descending and sub-Ascending) they wouldn't still possess it. The fact that the Ancient can blast armies to dust but by choice don't implies very strongly that the ability is inherent to their condition. I'd say, rather, that they tried not to unleash their full powers on the Anterac, but eventually had no choice.

In fact, if you want some scary secrets in the backstory, have someone work out that prior to the battle at Genesis Starbase, there were X number of populated star systems in the vicinity; now there's the Caleum Fog.

It sounds like you've done a lot of thinking since the Caleum Chronicles. With the above caveats, I do like what you've done with the idea of the Anterac. Good luck with it.
        Behold the majesty that is...GERALD!
        - Read The Prophet's fan fiction at The Lost Vegas Public Library.

Comment

Oma was the leader of the Ancients in our universe, the MW. That doesn't mean she ruled over all the Ancients though.

I wonder if she will have an appearance in 'Before I Sleep'.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.
          [Revelations 22:13]

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
            Oma was the leader of the Ancients in our universe, the MW. That doesn't mean she ruled over all the Ancients though.
            Okay; I haven't seen much of Seasons 7 and 8, but where does this come from?

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Prophet
              Okay; I haven't seen much of Seasons 7 and 8, but where does this come from?
              Thats the way I've always interpretted it. I don't think the Ancient's with their whole higher sense of right and wrong would entrust an entire race to just one person's decision.

I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.

Comment

Originally posted by DownFallAngel
                Thats the way I've always interpretted it. I don't think the Ancient's with their whole higher sense of right and wrong would entrust an entire race to just one person's decision.
                But what makes you think she ever had any authority whatsoever? She doesn't seem like an establishment leader to me, more like a charismatic - and thus dangerous - separatist.

Comment

hmmm, i didnt intend for this thread to be about oma, but hey. Thanks alot, all of you for posting your thoughts and stuff. I'll continue writing and see how it works out.

Comment

Originally posted by lionel_pendergast_rocks
                    hmmm, i didnt intend for this thread to be about oma, but hey. Thanks alot, all of you for posting your thoughts and stuff. I'll continue writing and see how it works out.
                    Its also about the hierarchy of the Ancients. So its not totally off topic.

Comment

ok, either tonight or tommorrow i should have more info posted here, and i've already started writing a bit. Im not sure whether i should do it in script form like sg-h, or in novel format. but, once i've got a signifigant portion done, ill post it online and provide a link.

Comment

Ok, so here are the stats for the three ships used by the Tau'ri and a slightly upgraded main character list. Also, a small "state of the galaxy paragraph"

The year is 2008, and the Goa'uld have been all but defeated. They now only exist in small numbers, threatened by the humans of Earth and the newly formed Jaffa Commonwealth. The commonwealth consists of a number of worlds populated by Jaffa who have renounced the last of the Goa'uld. They will thrive as a civilization once the Goa'uld are gone. The Tau'ri now have several offworld colonies and five interstellar vessels. They continue to search the universe for clues as to the Ancients' history and whereabouts. The Tok'ra, once a strong ally to the Tau'ri, have all been wiped out except for a small number, most of whom have either gone into hiding or are trying to make their way in the galaxy. All the races once oppressed by the Goa'uld are oppressed no longer, nd have joined the fight against them. It will not be long until the last of the false gods fall.

X-303/A Destiny Class Battlecruiser
                        The Destiny cruiser closely follows the design of the BC-303 Prometheus, but does have several modifications, such as the Z.P.M. hyperdrive, interior layout and the new weapon system. Armed with a number of Asgard weapon turrets, 14 total missile tubes, several drone turrets, two Gattling gun turrets, for atmospheric use and a Goa’uld anti-capital ship weapon, the ship was designed to be able to combat any foe, at any time, being battle-ready in less than two minutes. In it’s two hangars, the Destiny carries 16
                        F-302/A Intercept Fighters and 2 Puddlejumper shuttles. It also was designed to carry a Stargate, in the belief that it was to be used in orbit of a planet, but in the Caleum Galaxy, Stargates can be dialed anywhere, near a planet or not.

The Destiny’s crew capacity is about 350 officers and soldiers, larger than that of the Prometheus. It is about evenly split between troops and officers. As for components onboard the Destiny, they include an Asgard Transporter, a Goa’uld crystal network, Asgard shielding and communications, Ancient-designed internal sensors, and Human-designed interior.

Overall, the Destiny is magnificent vessel, capable of taking on many Goa’uld vessels at once, and winning. With its superior shielding, it can endure the toughest attacks that this galaxy has to offer, but this will be an ability tested in a completely new galaxy.
                        Commanding Officer: General Peter Barrows
                        1st Officer: Colonel Alexandra Hemmingway
                        Engines:
                        - 4 Ion Sub-light Thrusters
                        - Z.P.M. Powered Hyperdrive
                        - 16 Maneuvering Jets
                        Power:
                        - Z.P.M.
                        - 2 Naqueda Generators
                        Cruising Speed: 150,000 Kilometers per Second
                        Important Accessories:
                        - Experimental Cloaking Field
                        - Naqueda Generator Self-Destruct Mechanism
                        - Caleum Stargate and DHD
                        - Ring Transporter

X-305 Infinity Class Carrier
                        As the newest human military vessel, the Infinity would be designed to carry multiple squadrons of fighter craft and several hundred personnel. In all, its six hangars carry a total of 64 F-302/A intercept fighters and 3 Puddlejumper craft. Along with that, its crew capacity is about 550 personnel, troops and pilots.

Being the largest ship in the Tau’ri fleet, it is designed to operate on its own for weeks at a time, more relying on its fighters for defense than its weapon systems which are as follows: 4 Asgard energy weapon turrets, 8 Naqueda Missile Tubes and 1 Ha’tak Anti-Capital Ship Cannon. The Infinity, like the Destiny, is equipped with Asgard shields, a Z.P.M. hyperdrive and a Stargate of its own, along with many other similar components. Although not as armed as the Destiny, the Infinity is a mighty vessel, capable of holding off a number of enemy craft at a time, as well as the threat of a capital ship.
                        Commanding Officer: Colonel Sarah Callahan
                        1st Officer: Major Ryan Thompson
                        Engines:
                        - 4 Ion Sub-light Thrusters
                        - 28 Maneuvering Jets
                        Power:
                        - Z.P.M.
                        - Naqueda Generator
                        Cruising Speed: 150,000 Kilometers per Second
                        Important Accessories:
                        - Ring Transporter
                        - Caleum Stargate and DHD
                        - Self-Destruct Mechanism

X-306 Prophecy Class Science Vessel
                        The Prophecy is the first human science vessel capable of interstellar. It is equipped with numerous sensors, scanners and detection devices. Built for surveying stellar phenomena and mapping unknown areas of space, it is not designed for heavy combat. This is why it is small and agile compared to the other two vessels in the Tau’ri fleet. To maximize room for crew and equipment, the Prophecy has only one hangar, large enough to carry eight, or a single squadron of, F-302/A’s and a Puddlejumper.
                        The sensory equipment includes: a deep space telemetry scanner, subspace phenomena detector, communications interceptor, nebulae charting device, cloak detector and an Ancient long-range scanner.

With a crew of just over 150, the Prophecy also has the smallest crew compliment. It’s weapon systems are as follows: 4 Asgard Energy Weapon Turrets, 6 Heavy Staff Cannons. It has the best sublight speed in the Tau’ri fleet, making for quick escapes.

While not the best at combating enemy vessels, the Prophecy is able to chart, map and detect almost any stellar phenomena, planet or gas cloud in existence. It’s radar and scanners are the best the Tau’ri have, offering a slight advantage over approaching enemies in some cases.
                        Commanding Officer: Colonel Mark McLaughlin
                        1st Officer: Major Jessica Lee
                        Engines:
                        - 2 Ion Sublight Engines
                        - 12 Mnuevering Jets
                        Power:
                        - Z.P.M.
                        - Naqueda Generator
                        Important Accessories:
                        - Ring Transporter
                        - Advanced Science Lab
                        - Self-Destruct Device

Upgraded Characters:
                        - All characters are the same from The Caleum Chronicles except for Melinmar and Daniel Jackson
                        They are:
                        - General Peter Barrows
                        - Major Nick Connors
                        - Colonel Alexandra Hemmingway
                        - Lt. Takeshi Hasegawa
                        - Tenaulos of Talloran
                        - Dr. Jonas Quinn

Comment

Ahem. They call him Mister Quinn.

Okay, you've clearly put a lot of work into this, so don't take this the wrong way, but you really need to take your ship stats, screw them up and throw them away. There's a reason we've never had a definitive rundown of the Prometheus' loadout and it is, quite simply, that if you tie yourself down too much you're stuck with what you say and you'll spend many frustrating hours trying to figure whether the ship can or can not do X, when what is really important is whether it is dramatically important that the ship can or can not do X.

Let's face it, the Prometheus, in The Lost City, kicks some; but in other instances, it sucks, because it needs to be there as a hostage/transport, not as a problem-solving tool.

Secondly - and leaving aside the issue of whether the Goa'uld can be beaten in four years, since patently they can if the PTB want them to - while I understand where you're working from, even four years hence the chances that half of the senior command staff on the three most advanced ships in the galaxy are women is pretty minimal, even if they are Air Force. The military just isn't that progressive. As I say, I understand what you're doing, but if they aren't main characters it's probably best to bow to reality in that field. If you want to balance the genders, I'd put two men on the carrier and two women on the science vessel; the science bods can even ***** about the bias if you want to make a point of it. As it is, they read like a crew carefully balanced to be 50/50 male and female rather than serious characters who are male and female as appropriate.

Thirdly - assuming you haven't decided you hate me too much to keep reading - you've still got 16 302s in a Prometheus spaceframe. It's built for 8; even if we accept there's room for a couple of 'jumpers, it's not going to take as many fighters again and an extra Gateroom. Plus, eight 302s on the science vessel; if a battlecruiser carries a 302 squadron, it doesn't seem reasonable for a non-com ship. You've got the carrier for fighter support, especially if you decide that some of the 302s are now capable of mounting a functional short-range hyperdrive, utilising an Ancient-derived modification to a naquadah generator (for example).

Fourthly - I want to know where they got three more ZPMs - since I don't buy that they've back engineered it in four years; clearly the Asgard don't have ZPMs and they've been studying Ancient tech for millennia - and why they felt that Earth's only sources of nigh-limitless energy were best used on a starship.

I suppose a big part of my problem is this: the super-duper, invincible Tau'ri with their battlecruiser that can take on Anubis' fleet head-to-head and at least last the distance are really, really boring. These three ships look even more tediously boss-hard, especially if the only thing that this bossness is for is to point out that the new enemy are even scarier than the Goa'uld(TM).

It's your business, of course, but if I were writing this, I'd scale down the whole arrangement. Lose the carrier and the battlecruiser - or at least relegate them to recurring cast - outfit the science vessel with those 2 'jumpers, a Stargate and an experimental hyperdrive and ship it out. Maybe make mission one for the Prophecy be to construct a sort of super-Gate to bring the combat ships out to Caleum. I don't know; my gut feeling is that three capital ships will make for an unwieldy cast list, but there again I don't know what you plan to do with them. Maybe the carrier is just there to act as home base and the science vessel is the equivalent of the SGC science corps.

Anyway, take or leave this advice as you see fit, and please rest assured that I think what you have here has potential. If I thought your idea blew chunks, I wouldn't have responded at all. I will, however, stress that first point: Lose the stats; they're a shackle to good writing. On which subject, if you're unsure, write prose not teleplay. Teleplay format is another unnecessary constraint and one which most people can't handle; it's much easier to get your point across in prose.

Comment

Also, you really shouldn't make all these ships have a ZPM powered drive. You can't just walk into Price Chopper and say, 'I need a ZPM' and get one. You should make a subspace generator. That way its basic design is built on the same principles of the ZPM, and its backwards engineered in a more Tau'Ri fashion. It also gives it a whole lot more human feel to it, rather than just having 6 ships with 6 ZPMs.

Also, I too would jump the storyline say 50 years into the future. This would keep you far enough away from SG1/SGA, and you can do whatever you want.

Third, don't use the cannon characters. I've seen it done before. You want to write a story where Jack is in command of the SGC, but guess what TPTB kill him, in an episode, right before you're about to publish. What then? You change your entire storyline. I would just reference the characters, because in 50 years, they will all be retired, or dead, or something.

Just my thoughts.

Comment

ok, ive tried doing that before, and i haven't gotten the best responses, so, i wont do that again, but in the past few days, ive been deciding whether i should use three or just 1 ship, which is really big. (this is kind of like what prophet said.) i looked at a lot of the points, including the one about the zpm's, and im kind of stuck. right now, im leaning towards have one ship that has some characteristics of all three, but i dont know. thanks for the comments, good or bad and if you could help with my situation, please tell why having more than one ship is good/bad and vice versa.
                              thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X