PDA

View Full Version : Enterprise- "Cold Station 12"

Vapor
November 6th, 2004, 08:42 AM
Hopefully, no one minds that I open this thread just for this particular ep.

"Cold Station 12"

Well, this one was a doozy.

Now, honestly, the first ten minutes or so of this episode felt kinda off to me. Especially that damn crying scene. I mean, I know Malik was just pretending or whatever, but boy did it look cheesy... but that's just me. There were also about a half-dozen really badly delivered lines this week, though I can't seem to remember a single one... which is probably a good thing.

Anyway, once we got over that rough hump, I thought the rest of the episode was great. We finally get to see Dr. Jeremy Lucas, and we get a greater sense of just how good friends they really are, when that friendship is tested to its limits. We also got to hear more of the Denobulans' genetic engineering, which gave birth to the great tag about human instinct and human intellect being out of sync. I LOVED that.

No T'Pol/Trip stuff this week. That's fine. Although we did get more mention of Archer's father and his battle with Clark's Disease, which I was happy to see. In fact, this is the first episode in a while where I really actually thought Archer was likeable. What really got me were two scenes- the one where Smyte (sp?) asked if he had a choice to join him in the Captain's Mess or not, and he replied "No" and then when he had the verbal exchange with Malik during their fight.

Speaking of Malik, this guy is sick. Much sicker than I think anyone around him knows, and the actor that plays him does that very well. I wasn't into the whole crying thing, but that wasn't really the actor's fault. Every other scene he does is awesome. And I was right, of course, that Soong is really not liking how Malik is doing things. See, this is the kind of story I like. Where the villainy isn't just portrayed as "the evil guys doing evil things, because they're evil." We've got basically three different mindsets here- one is Malik and his vicious "kill em all" attitude, another is Soong and his "give us what we want and we'll leave in peace" attitude, and Persis trapped somewhere in the middle. Good stuff.

This ep provided lots of thrills and shocks- something that I felt was lacking through a great portion of Enterprise episodes. When they started exposing that one scientist to the pathogen, and Arik was pleading with Lucas to give him the code so he can save his life, I actually felt something, and was actually unsure of how the scene would play out, which has become a rarity on this show. Same goes for when they initiated the self-destruct on the station.

A real shock was when Malik killed Smyte. I mean, when he shot him and left, I half-expected Archer to wake him up and for him to be half-alive, so they could rush him to a medical bed and fix him up or something, but no. He's dead, just like that. This pretty much puts the nail in the coffin for Malik, I think. They've really created a powerful villain for the show. In two episodes, they've already beaten the crap out of Commander Dolem from last season, and he had a whole year to get developed.

Another nice cliffhanger, though this time it's a little more straight-forward. Archer has to go stop the pathogens from being released. Not really much mystery about what happens next, but maybe they'll surprise me again. I give this ep another solid A. I think it's safe to say that season four will rock.

Mio
November 6th, 2004, 08:50 AM
Cold Station 12 and Borderland are by far the best episodes of Enterprise that we've seen so far. I have high expectations for the remainder of season 4.

Dahak
November 6th, 2004, 09:46 AM
I like the Augs but they really need to get rid of the hockey hair.

Elwe Singollo
November 6th, 2004, 09:51 AM
I like the Augs but they really need to get rid of the hockey hair.I know! What the heck with the hockey hair!? Is it an augs thing? haha...

Vapor
November 6th, 2004, 10:08 AM
It's an homage to "Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan." Khan and his people were genetically-engineered as well, and they all had that mullet kinda hair, so this is the showrunners' way of giving honor to that film.

I have to say, I was fine with the hair, until I saw this Smyte-guy. It looks the worst on him. Luckily, he's dead now. ;)

Tom Servo
November 6th, 2004, 11:19 AM
That episode was great. CS-12 is in an asteroid, I LOVED that!! The torture scene was incredible to me. When the guy was in the chamber dying, you could see Soong was hating what he was doing. When he asked Lucas for the code an lucas told him to go to hell, that made the scene for me. At that point the music, the acting and the drama was perfect. You could tell lucas wanted to give him the code, but he just couldn't bring himself to. Great job manny coto!! :) Can't wait till next week.

lionel_pendergast_rocks
November 6th, 2004, 12:10 PM
i dunno, the last episode wasn't too interesting to me. the plot was good, but lately, i feel enterprise is stuck, except for bringing up the idea of soong. that's just my opinion. maybe the next episode will get us "unstuck", wrapping up this 3-parter. as for cs-12, i like the idea of having the base inside an asteroid. i only wish that the blood boiling disease was gorrier. anyway....

DownFallAngel
November 6th, 2004, 01:04 PM
I was so glad this week, when that guy got put into thwat tube thing, and he was hit with the pathogen, that the other scientist was like "ALRIGHT! I'LL GIVE YOU THE CODES!". I hate that stuff.

Also, the ending was not so different from Zero hour. Instead of horizontal running, Archer was vertical, both needed to beat the clock, and both were TO BE CONTINUED.

I thought this episode was alright.

I didn't like the faact, that the shuttle pod, hadn't even been in the Bird Of Prey for like 1 second, and the BoP jumped to warp. Thats impossible. You need to shut the hatch!

Erik Pasternak
November 6th, 2004, 01:07 PM
I agree DFA. I came up with my own theory. The shuttle didn't enter into a hangar bay, she just docked at one of the ships's docking ports, if that would allow the bird of prey to jump to warp any faster.

shockwave
November 6th, 2004, 01:29 PM
CS-12 rocked, just like Borderland. Enterprise is really becoming good. Spiner as Soong is great and 3-dimensional. He shows more emotion then the main cast.

Elwe Singollo
November 6th, 2004, 01:49 PM
The nielsen ratings for Cold Station were much better than last weeks, getting a 2.1/4, although low, at least it shows signs of getting better :)

Mio
November 6th, 2004, 02:48 PM
I agree DFA. I came up with my own theory. The shuttle didn't enter into a hangar bay, she just docked at one of the ships's docking ports, if that would allow the bird of prey to jump to warp any faster.

Don't the Klingons have shields here? They could have sealed their bay with a force field.

DownFallAngel
November 6th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Don't the Klingons have shields here? They could have sealed their bay with a force field.

Not on Bird Of Prey class ships. Maybe on later models. But for now, I don't even think they have force shield technology that could be that big.

SP90
November 6th, 2004, 03:45 PM
They did what Sulu did in ST:5 which was bascially crash the shuttle into the hanger bay and have that net thingy ready to catch it. Sorta like an emergency landing on an aircraft carrier when the tailhook won't come down.

Erik Pasternak
November 6th, 2004, 05:52 PM
Not on Bird Of Prey class ships. Maybe on later models. But for now, I don't even think they have force shield technology that could be that big.
Well, in "Vox Sola" Malcolm rigged a temporary force field, which lasted about 10 seconds, so the Klingons, who are more advanced, might be able to.

Dahak
November 6th, 2004, 09:25 PM
The nielsen ratings for Cold Station were much better than last weeks, getting a 2.1/4, although low, at least it shows signs of getting better :)

Basic UPN rant coming up.
Yeah but how much of that is just UPN's incompetence? Friday night? America's Next Top Model? Showing the show 3 times in one weekend? Do they want Ent to fail? Hey at least it breaks even do they really expect Kevin Hill to save their terrible network? If you can't run a real network like the big 4 at least use WB's idea of using one major theme for the entire network. With WB you know that every single show involves good looking 20 year olds pretending to be in HS.

Elwe Singollo
November 6th, 2004, 10:16 PM
Basic UPN rant coming up.
Yeah but how much of that is just UPN's incompetence? Friday night? America's Next Top Model? Showing the show 3 times in one weekend? Do they want Ent to fail? Hey at least it breaks even do they really expect Kevin Hill to save their terrible network? If you can't run a real network like the big 4 at least use WB's idea of using one major theme for the entire network. With WB you know that every single show involves good looking 20 year olds pretending to be in HS.Good point, but haha, Top Model is only twice, and i don't think they think that Kevin Hill will help them, but i think the common theme is 'black', not being racist in anyway, but thats what the networks seem to pick-up, with an everynow and then, non-black show, such as Veronica Mars. I mean, UPN needs to get away from the comedies, in which most of their shows (the comedies) aren't funny anymore, and actually get some dramas, because if they get some more drama's, such as Kevin Hill, with a mix of not just 'the minorities', maybe UPN will attract more people, because i feel sorry for the network, haha... And their way of promoting shows are just horrible, did you see the way they promoted Buffy? It was very laughable. I dislike the WB, because they rely on skin on most shows they get now, lets see...

WB shows that tey their absolute hardest to show skin:
The Mountain
Smallville
Charmed
One Tree Hill
Summerland (but thats based near the beach so its inevitable, but still counts)

and there were more, but they were cancelled, haha...

hmm, ok that went a bit off-topic...:)

But anyway, back to UPN...Star-Trek, at the shows are at least attempting to be about the story, imo anyway, haha... If they do, maybe because i don't watch their whole line-up. So, when was the last time there was 3-parter in Enterprise? Haha...

Vapor
November 7th, 2004, 11:46 AM
Apparently, every episode this season has gotten ratings a little bit better than the previous one, so we're seeing a slow, but steady climb. Plus, since UPN has never had anything on Fridays, ENT and Top Model are lifting up the ratings significantly for their Friday slots... if that makes sense.

In other words, things are starting to look up, albeit very, very slowly.

Elwe Singollo
November 7th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Apparently, every episode this season has gotten ratings a little bit better than the previous one, so we're seeing a slow, but steady climb. Plus, since UPN has never had anything on Fridays, ENT and Top Model are lifting up the ratings significantly for their Friday slots... if that makes sense.

In other words, things are starting to look up, albeit very, very slowly.Heh yah, at least its going 'up' :)

shinyredpants
November 7th, 2004, 12:40 PM
Here are my thoughts on CS12.

First of all...the title of the episode. Cold Station 12. Think about that name, maybe i'm thinking too much into the name, but isnt it just a sexy name to you as it is for me? I think so too. People who arent giving enterprise a shot, are lame...because this season is so far the best most awesome season ever. I have to say i was severely dissapointed in the previous seasons but this season has fully shown the potential in star trek.

Next, the augments...i agree that their mullet hair needs to go. I'm sorry but why on earth would genetically advanced humans have mullets? i guess its a way to kinda be like ROAR THE AUGMENTS ARENT SEKSAY! THEY'RE ALL MACGYVER CLONES!

sorry had to add that one...but either way, the augments are truly things of pure evil, and it shows what happens when you think you're all that and a box of cracker jacks. and i really liked how they gave time to kinda show what they were thinking, and just went into what they went through too.

Dr. Soong...what can i say about Dr. Soong...he's a romanticist. he's truly trying to do something good, and give them a chance without seeing the consequences. he's dearly trying to give the augments a chance when everyone has kinda banished them and deemed them hopeless. he wants to give them a future, he wants to give them hope...he just didnt do such a good job at it.

and then Cold Station 12 in general...thats just pure insanity they put the station in an asteroid, but its very awesome and inventive. i mean, what better of a place to have a station that experiments with nasty diseases and things no one wants to deal with? it must be pretty lonely there, but man...that was awesome. Easy to deal with any sort of contamination too.

The character developement really showed too. the augments did some nasty nasty things, and it kinda shows that enterprise isnt afraid to take that step in fear of going to far. they did some nasty things in that episode, but its good that they took that "look we're the pansies!" step into "look we will do what it takes to make sure you wont screw things up!"

of course things are already screwed up, and something tells me its gonna cause nastiness with the klingons but still. i really enjoyed this episode, and i think its one of the best star trek episodes in general. i'm not saying its the best, and i'm sure others disagree with me, but this episode had all the elements a star trek episode I THINK should have.

canon? who cares =)