This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuum Plot Hole

when we see Baal with all the other system lords he shows them Earth and starts to tell them all about it. It seems as if they knew nothing about Earth, but weren't they ALL used to live on Earth at some time in the past?
    after all, they are all mentioned in mythology as gods who reigned over nations. lord Yu used to rule China, Ra used to rule egypt, and so on...

Baal himself is even mentioned in the bible as a demon, so its strange that he chooses to use his real name when talking to the president. if he wants to fool humanity by pretending to be a benevolant, why not use a different name that would not be recognized by the humans as an evil demon from their past?

it seems as if they all just happen to have the same names as ancient gods, but have no connection to earth what so ever.

it makes no sense that they knew nothing about earth or where its located when they all been there before. that's where they took all the humans from to be used as their slaves.

shouldn't one of them say something like "i have waited a long time to retake this planet."
    or "at last we will reclaim this world, at last we will have revenge"

it makes no sense that not one of them tried to conquer earth before. Ra was the last system lord to be kicked off Earth and he never once thought about returning to earth with a bigger army to retake it, or to destroy humanity by bombardment?

havent seen continuum yet. and dont wanna see any previews.

but the goauld ruled over loadsa planets and we found out that all human didnt originate from earth we're 2nd generation ancients. its jus that the goauld at one point used existing religion / cultures took on the persona of their gods after ditching the unas's and transferred alot of earth bound humans to other planets. we all jus thought everyone originated from earth coz thats where the goauld got their new god persona's and so never let leaked that there was anything before them.

however yes i agree that they should b like "oh yeah i remember that planet, remember when me, u, ra and anubis used to kick back on tauri gathering some humans. good times man we should go back their one day for old times sake"

Comment

That's a good point. However, I don't think it is a major part of the story and doesn't take much away from the credibility of there past.
      Maybe the acknowledgment of them being there previously was cut from a scene?! Or they just don't remember being there. I would forget things especially if i had a few thousand years worth of memories.
      sigpic

Comment

Ra hadn't been there for 10000 years. Earth was lost, in the 2nd episode of SG-1 Teal'c says there is a tale of world where creatures of this form(humans) originated but that world has been lost for a long time.

To them Earth was just another pathetic world, they didn't have the intel on it that Ba'al did. The Goa'uld know of many worlds that are not part of their military strategy. So yes the Goa'uld had been there before but they had not had a major presence their for thousands of years.

I think the reason Ba'al was wanting to take Earth, was not because he liked it but because of the Ancient weapon in Anarctica. It would have blown all the ex system lord in oribt to pieces. And he would have systematically taken down the tau'ri, the goa'uld system lords and the tok'ra.

I don't think there is a plot hole.

Historically their were many gods with the Title ba'al. Ba'al just meant master or lord in ancient semitic languages. It was a word used by most people to refer to their god when they weren't privileged enough to utter their god's true name.

One example would be Hadad.

I researched all the system lords a while ago. But everything I just said is on wikipedia. But you make a good point in the sense that why was Earth was lost.
        The reason it was lost was that Earth was not strategically important to build ships and send them to a part of the galaxy that was no military threat to any Goa'uld. The stargate was buried and they were not to know that we unburied it in 1928.

Comment

Originally posted by Giza1928 View Post
          Ra hadn't been there for 10000 years. Earth was lost, in the 2nd episode of SG-1 Teal'c says there is a tale of world where creatures of this form(humans) originated but that world has been lost for a long time.
          actually Ra only left Earth 5,000 years ago (as mentioned in Moebius). so he ruled the Earth for 5,000 years. presumebly during that time many goauld took humans to many different worlds to be used as slaves.

Then the humans rebelled and buried the stargate, and Ra escaped.
          its strange that Ra didn't bombard Earth from space right there and then to punish them. since the pyramids he built are still standing its obvious he didn't.
          Ra was said to have been the supreme system lord. so he must have had enough ships to reconquer Earth or at least destroy its population.
          we do know that back then hyperspace speed was relatively slow (only 10 times the speed of light) so maybe that's why the Goauld didn't feel like flying to Earth after the stargate was buried.
          but it still doesn't explain how they 'forgot' about earth so completely. maybe the Goauld didn't want to spread the tale about the planet that rebelled against them and freed itself, but they themselves should still remember it

Comment

Well i'd firstly point out... the major time gap, and the fact in that much time, names of planets change, such as the humans are called Tau'ri by the Jaffa the planet probably had a different name... so effectively to go into all the back plot of earth's slave todays would take a fair bit more on screen time and probably wasn't deemed nessecary.

Plus if you look at each detail you have to point out that the supposed time of Ra leaving and being the last major gou'old on earth... how was someone like Lord Yu still around as I would think his role in China takes place centuries afterward?

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedThor View Post
              Baal himself is even mentioned in the bible as a demon, so its strange that he chooses to use his real name when talking to the president. if he wants to fool humanity by pretending to be a benevolant, why not use a different name that would not be recognized by the humans as an evil demon from their past?
              If you ask 99,999% of western people who's demon they say Satan. Majority of people on earth have no idea who's Baal since it's part of a long lost mythology.

If someone want's to fine tune the dots, don't.

The point is people don't know ancient history.

Comment

Originally posted by Sly12 View Post
                Well i'd firstly point out... the major time gap, and the fact in that much time, names of planets change, such as the humans are called Tau'ri by the Jaffa the planet probably had a different name... so effectively to go into all the back plot of earth's slave todays would take a fair bit more on screen time and probably wasn't deemed nessecary.

Plus if you look at each detail you have to point out that the supposed time of Ra leaving and being the last major gou'old on earth... how was someone like Lord Yu still around as I would think his role in China takes place centuries afterward?
                Didn't they say that the Goa'uld used the Antarticic gate after the rebellion?

Also if you count it as a plot hole it's really a plot hole for the entire series.... They didn't care for 5000 years until we blew Ra up...
                Jedi_Master_Bra'tac, previously known as wako!

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                  Didn't they say that the Goa'uld used the Antarticic gate after the rebellion?

Also if you count it as a plot hole it's really a plot hole for the entire series.... They didn't care for 5000 years until we blew Ra up...
                  some Goauld were trapped on Earth after Ra was overthrown. Seth, Hathor, Osiris.

Maybe Yu also stayed on Earth for a while, at some point took the chinese host that we know and became the god-king ruler of China. after a few centuries of rule he finally managed to leave Earth probably through the Antarctic gate. Other system lords may have similar experiences.

In any case Earth is not the sort of planet they would all forget so easily.

the only logical explanation is that the ascended ancients wanted to protect Earth and so erased all memories of it from the goauld's minds. (or in other words a wizard did it. heck maybe even Merlin did it since he was on Earth at that time...)

Comment

the only logical explanation is that the ascended ancients wanted to protect Earth and so erased all memories of it from the goauld's minds. (or in other words a wizard did it. heck maybe even Merlin did it since he was on Earth at that time...)
                    I'm sorry but this is the least logical explanation.... what happened to their strict non-interference policy? They wouldn't do anything to save an entire Galaxy let alone a planet...

They're other explanations such as, they didn't care, Earth isn't in a strategical place in the galaxy (aren't we on the edge?), the faster-than-light travel at the time was crap (didn't they say it was only 10x the speed of light in season 1), Earth had served it's purpose in providing humans.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedi_Master_Bra'tac View Post
                      I'm sorry but this is the least logical explanation.... what happened to their strict non-interference policy? They wouldn't do anything to save an entire Galaxy let alone a planet...

They're other explanations such as, they didn't care, Earth isn't in a strategical place in the galaxy (aren't we on the edge?), the faster-than-light travel at the time was crap (didn't they say it was only 10x the speed of light in season 1), Earth had served it's purpose in providing humans.

lol i was joking when i said the ancients did it. but it is possible that one of the 'rebel' ascended ancients such as Merlin did it. after all they were living on Earth and didn't want any goauld showing up trying to enslave or destroy it.

I can accept the fact that the goauld just weren't intersted in earth .. but not that they all 'forgot' it existed.
                      all of this could have been fixed if they had a better dialogue in the scene with all the system lords. it seemed they all knew nothing about Earth.
                      it would have made more sense if they said stuff like "yes i remember this planet, i used to rule it for a few centuries until they rebelled and buried the stargate. because it had no naquadda resources i decided not to bother coming back by ship"

Comment

lol i was joking when i said the ancients did it. but it is possible that one of the 'rebel' ascended ancients such as Merlin did it. after all they were living on Earth and didn't want any goauld showing up trying to enslave or destroy it.

I can accept the fact that the goauld just weren't intersted in earth .. but not that they all 'forgot' it existed.
                        all of this could have been fixed if they had a better dialogue in the scene with all the system lords. it seemed they all knew nothing about Earth.
                        it would have made more sense if they said stuff like "yes i remember this planet, i used to rule it for a few centuries until they rebelled and buried the stargate. because it had no naquadda resources i decided not to bother coming back by ship"
                        They don't know nothing of Earth now.. you can be an expert of Ancient Rome and know nothing of modern day Italy. Earth has changed ALOT

Comment

Spoiler:
                          I watched Continuum yesterday and I just noticed that there's an plot error.

In one SG-1 episode, using the quantum mirror, an alternate version of Sam appears. It seems that more than 2 people in the same reality is not possible as our Sam almost died.

But, how can our Daniel exist in over one year in an alternate timeline, AND even talk with himself?

It should be the same as an alternate reality. or...

Comment

Originally posted by DoGG View Post
                            Spoiler:
                            I watched Continuum yesterday and I just noticed that there's an plot error.

In one SG-1 episode, using the quantum mirror, an alternate version of Sam appears. It seems that more than 2 people in the same reality is not possible as our Sam almost died.

But, how can our Daniel exist in over one year in an alternate timeline, AND even talk with himself?

It should be the same as an alternate reality. or...
                            They discarded that effect in Ripple Effect, and this is AT not AU...

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
                              They discarded that effect in Ripple Effect, and this is AT not AU...
                              They didn't discard it they gave a reason for it not occouring both in the audio commentary and sam has a line about why it isnt occouring.

Cascade failure is only an issue when dealing with an alternate reality. They were in the same reality but the timeline of the reality had been changed.

Comment

Working...
                              X