X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stargate Atlantis - TrekMovie: Exclusive Robert Picardo Interview

From TrekMovie:

(Please follow the link for the complete interview.)

Exclusive Interview: Robert Picardo On Jumping From Star Trek To Stargate

July 8, 2008

by Anthony Pascale

Robert Picardo spent seven years as the holographic Doctor on Star Trek Voyager. The part, which grew to be a breakout role on the show, is just one of many memorable roles for the veteran actor who will soon be seen as a regular on Stargate Atlantis which premieres its 5th season this week. In an exclusive interview with TrekMovie, Picardo talks about his roles on Voyager, Atlantis and more.

A brief excerpt:

TrekMovie.com: Your Stargate character Richard Woolsey has evolved over time and started as a heavy and foil to Richard Dean Anderson on SG-1. You have spoken about how The Doctor on Voyager grew on people over time and the same has happened with Woolsey. Did you work with the Stargate writers on that character arc and evolution?

Robert Picardo: Oh, no. The writers at Stargate have very much their own ideas and plans for the character. I think what ended up helping me is when I did the first guest star the writers and producers, specifically Joe Mallozzi and Paul Mullie, just decided they kind of liked me and kind of wanted me to hang around. The luckiest aspect was they introduced me as a heavy and then they thought about how to bring me back and they made the decision to make me kind of an unwitting heavy for the evil senator played by Ronnie Cox. And once I realized I was being manipulated, the audience was shown I had the best intentions. And then after that in subsequent episodes, for example "The Scourge", you got to see that my character even had the beginnings of some humorous foibles too. He was really great in a conference room, but you put him in a real situation and he just wasn’t cut out for it. There is a funny moment in "The Scourge" when Woolsey is hightailing it from these insect creatures and he outruns everybody else to save his ass. I think there is a certain inherent fun with taking a bureaucrat and putting him in a real situation.

**snippage**

The fifth season of SGA kicks off Friday July 11th on the Sci-Fi Channel

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
    SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
    Morjana's Blog Twitter
Working...
X