Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

This movie has the WORST marketing ever!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This movie has the WORST marketing ever!

Even months before "The Ark of Truth" was released, we had trailers, many featurettes (not only 2-3, around the SAME 'Arctic-submarine' subject ), we had a sort of countdown one month before the release, with one video preview per week.
    But now... what do we have for "Continuum" ?!
    An amazing teaser, far better then the TAoT one, ok, but what else?
    You could say we have almost 3-4 featurettes, but they seems ALL THE SAME, because they're all about the 'shooting-in-the-Arctic' and 'real-submarine' stuff
    We had some interview, but, again, they're all about the same threads (exepct for some talking of characters).

I don't mean to be annoying, but since I read this

MGM Home Entertainment will support the Stargate: Continuum DVD release with a massive marketing and media campaign targeting the key demographic, encompassing network and cable television advertising, integrated online and viral promotions and select brand partnerships. The release will also be supported by a comprehensive publicity campaign, highlighted by cast participation and news generating events and stunts timed to Comic-Con 2008.
    (from http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/0...d_july_2.shtml, under Marketing Support)

I hoped to see much more material, like concept arts, MANY posters (not always the same one), some clips, more trailers than just one teaser. Plus, there is a sentence about VIRAL promotions that almost shocked me... DO THEY KNOW WHAT 'VIRAL' IS ?! Look at "The Dark Knight" one, before speak ...

TAoT had many featurettes, different from each other, the wait was more 'confortable', less frustrating.
    Continuum will be released just in few weeks and we still have a very, very poor promotional marketing.

That's my two cents, tell me what you think
    An Italian Gater

I think it's only right that the worst SG movie should have the worst marketing ever!

Comment

Originally posted by silly sally View Post
      I think it's only right that the worst SG movie should have the worst marketing ever!
      well done on a good forum name choice did you get help?

marketing to those that already know about it (some of which have already seen it,........ no!! that's not an admission), seems a bit pointless to me why bother.
      too much is too much!! but not enough makes you want more
      sigpic
      EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
      -Liberty Prime

Comment

Well if I was responsible for Continuum I wouldn't want to advertise it either! Best to just let it slip quietly away and forget about it.
        sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Leaking the movie could have been a marketing strategy.

Comment

i'd rather have the movie than listen to those that feel hard done too, because a movie they've payed nothing for doesn't appeal to them

Well if I was responsible for Continuum I wouldn't want to advertise it either! Best to just let it slip quietly away and forget about it.
            good advice for the moaners there, thanks!! you'll lead a happier/more productive life than complaining about something you hate.
            sigpic
            -Liberty Prime

Comment

Stargate has rubbish marketing in general, especially in the UK- We had virtually no mention that AoT was going to air until it was actually on; I almost missed it.

Comment

I think it's probably better to look at this in terms of the desired outcome- after all, the point of marketing is to sell, which certainly seems to be happening. I'm sure there is some benefit to being #1 on Amazon, and that's marketing money can't buy. Like a lot of other things in life, marketing probably follows the 80/20 rule (80% of the work gets done with only 20% of the effort).

Continuum doesn't need to be marketed like The Dark Knight because MGM doesn't need to make that kind of money to turn a profit. Those expensive blockbuster movies have to pull out all the stops, because if they lose, they lose big.

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                  i'd rather have the movie than listen to those that feel hard done too, because a movie they've payed nothing for doesn't appeal to them

good advice for the moaners there, thanks!! you'll lead a happier/more productive life than complaining about something you hate.

I have Continuum on pre-order. When the time comes I am sure the £15.95 will leave my account as agreed.

I see nothing at all wrong with people, myself included, stating their opinions of this movie. I didn't hate it, in fact some of it was quite good but it could have been a LOT better.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by ToasterOnFire View Post
                    Leaking the movie could have been a marketing strategy.
                    Yeah, like the thread title says - it was the worst marketing strategy ever! They should have kept it tight, that way they'd have managed to sucker more people into buying it!

Comment

Originally posted by flynn1959 View Post
                      I have Continuum on pre-order. When the time comes I am sure the £15.95 will leave my account as agreed.

I see nothing at all wrong with people, myself included, stating their opinions of this movie. I didn't hate it, in fact some of it was quite good but it could have been a LOT better.
                      so why say:

Well if I was responsible for Continuum I wouldn't want to advertise it either!
                      as though it would be a 'death knell' to your career to do so
                      sigpic
                      -Liberty Prime

Comment

Originally posted by Lorix View Post
                        That's my two cents, tell me what you think
                        I take it you didn't consider that MGM held back on some of their marketing this past week in honor of Don S. Davis?

I just started seeing TV commercials promoting Stargate: Continuum yesterday.

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                        SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                        Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by rlr149 View Post
                          so why say:

as though it would be a 'death knell' to your career to do so

Because only some of it was quite good. That really isn't good enough for a movie that has been so hyped up. To me it felt like an okay longish episode not a movie.
                          sigpic

Comment

There have been 8 featurettes and a trailer, not to mention TV ads. I think they also said something about hiring buses with the movie advertised on them as well...

Comment

I agree that there is nothing wrong with anyone stating their opinion; that is, after all, what people do here - state their opinions. However, it's often difficult to figure out which of your stated opinions really expresses how you feel. Above you said some of it was quite good, but it could have been a LOT better.

On another thread you stated:
                              After watching this a second time...yes I know I'm a glutton for punishment! I think the biggest probleme with the movie is the fact that it is a monumental waste of time.
                              So which is it? A movie with some good parts (that could have been better) or a monumental waste of time? Or is there a third opinion you have now maybe after watching it a third time?

Comment

Working...
                              X