Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PLOT HOLES, yet a better movie. A non-spoiler comment.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PLOT HOLES, yet a better movie. A non-spoiler comment.

I won't post details about Continuum outside of the thread set up by the mods.

Two points, though in total NON-SPOILER FASHION.

One: Better than the first movie. Much better. Frakking cool.

Two: Plot holes so large, even a Goa'uld System Lord would notice. Hence the reason that took me a second viewing to confirm them. BUT, so cool are the 'slight changes' already noted publicly, that it makes me giggle with the possibilities on how it might (or could if Joe Mallozzi wanted) affect... Atlantis?

*sigh* *relax*

Completely pointless thread.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
      Completely pointless thread.
      now now, everything serves a purpose

even if its as a 'bad example' to others
      sigpic
      EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
      -Liberty Prime

Comment

Thank Jenks... nothing judgmental there. I guess after 8500 posts, I will bow to your experience in these matters.

Comment

If you disagree, feel free to explain what the point of this thread is, and why your post needed a thread of its own.

Comment

From what I've read, the only major flaw in the movie is with the ripple effect as the timeline changes. Once Ba'al enters the past to change time, the future of that would be the alternate timeline, not the proper timeline slowly changing into the alternate timeline.

The one movie I saw where the rippling timeline worked was Frequency, and that's because a radio connected to points in time by unkown means. Only people close to the radio would be aware of the ripple effect. For everyone else, the timeline had always been that way.

If Continuum is otherwise a good movie, then this one issue won't bother me much at all. I just felt like point it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Jackson View Post
              From what I've read, the only major flaw in the movie is with the ripple effect as the timeline changes. Once Ba'al enters the past to change time, the future of that would be the alternate timeline, not the proper timeline slowly changing into the alternate timeline.
              Back to the Future has the same Rippling Effect as opposed to an Instantaneous Change; with Marty slowly disappearing along with his family photo...

Although, he is in the past when he starts to disappear...

It wouldn't make a very interesting movie if the timeline instantly changed and no-one was aware of it.

... Well, actually, it would. But then they'd be no chance of it repairing itself and the entire 10 seasons of SG-1 would have been pointless

And Atlantis S5 would be different. Very different. An empty city different.

Comment

Originally posted by The Prophet View Post
                Back to the Future has the same Rippling Effect as opposed to an Instantaneous Change; with Marty slowly disappearing along with his family photo...
                That was OK, because while I disagree with this interpretation of time, it had been established in the original movie and remained consistant throughout both sequels. In SG-1, all previous time travel episodes resulted in the present being changed the instant people traveled to the past. There'd never been a ripple effect, except for in "1969" where they come back out of the SGC gate, but then everything shifts from 1999 to 1969. According to later episodes, they should have exited the Stargate at Area 51 or wherever it was being held. However, it's forgivable, because it was their first episode where the Stargate doubled as a Timegate.

Although, he is in the past when he starts to disappear...
                Once Ba'al arrives in the past, there should never have been an execution show in 2008 for him to dissapear from to begin with.

It wouldn't make a very interesting movie if the timeline instantly changed and no-one was aware of it.
                I agree, which is why this error in logic is forgivable. Sometimes, drama overrides logic.

... Well, actually, it would. But then they'd be no chance of it repairing itself and the entire 10 seasons of SG-1 would have been pointless
                Unless the "Moebius" SG-1 show up in the Puddle Jumper, and they have to set time right. Again.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                  If you disagree, feel free to explain what the point of this thread is, and why your post needed a thread of its own.
                  Your smugness aside, I was excited about the 'completely accidental release' of the new movie, had to watch it, loved it so much I needed to spread the gospel.

The point is my love for the new movie, PLOT HOLE flaws and all. And look - discussion of plot holes. WOW... maybe the thread has a wee tiny value for those of us who post once per day.

Now, keep in mind the mod's have asked that we not discuss details - unlike other posters - so I kept it to the minimum. Maybe the thread was superfluous, or lacked your deemed sensibility on placement and content. In any case, your reply seems a tad brusque. But hey, it's a free world, and you can express yourself as long as it keeps within the forum rules.

So here are my plot hole discussion points, protected by a 'Spoilervision':

Spoiler:
                  • When did the Tokra adopt a near-religous formality in administering justice, and start singing? It's cool, but waaa-aay out of place for a culture opposed to fake religious icons.
                  • Irregardless of who get changed in the timeline... For the time-travel McGuffin to have worked, there needed to be 2 'Baals' at the begining of the story. So in suggesting that, there are indeed more than 1 Baal still alive.
                  • If the captured Baal was the real Baal: You establish Baal 'A' is being deleted during the extraction ceremony, Baal 'B' is back in time. The deletion of Baal 'A' would have 'erased' all the Ball clones. Baal 'B's altering of the timeline would erase himself (the TRUE grandfather paradox).
                  • If the captured Baal was a clone; The story would work if the second 'Baal' was either a clone or the real 'Baal'. - Hence my comment that the first big plot hole no longer existed.
                  • Mitchell's grandfathers death in the alternate timeline would have erased mitchel. So why did Mitchel remain? he would have been among the first to dissappear. Even Sam noted the Paradox, whcih she herself had debunked in earlier episodes
                  • This establishes that people in wormhole transit are 'unaffected' by changes in the timestream when they emerge. Since there are tens of thousands of gates in the universe, and travellers are constantly using them - more than a few people would have been stranded by the shift in time.
                  • As people were 'displaced', realistically they would be replaced with others - had the timeline progressed. So rather than a 'piece by piece elmination', we would likely have seen 'piece by piece replacement before it all dissolved'.
                  • There are a dozen others... but this one set's the pace. and please forgive the spelling...

One final thought on Carter's comment to Jack at the end. Sweet - we have a ...

Spoiler:
                  MOONBASE?

In closing Jenks, thanks for inviting my fuller response. I do have one question for you: Why an avatar promoting illegal drug use? Tsk Tsk... SG fans are better than that.

Comment

Originally posted by UrukHai View Post
                    In closing Jenks, thanks for inviting my fuller response. I do have one question for you: Why an avatar promoting illegal drug use? Tsk Tsk... SG fans are better than that.
                    what makes you think its 'illegal'?!?!

and for the record, i'm not better than that, and i resent the implication
                    sigpic
                    EMBRACE DEMOCRACY, OR YOU WILL BE ERADICATED
                    -Liberty Prime

Comment

Spoiler:
                      • When did the Tokra adopt a near-religous formality in administering justice, and start singing? It's cool, but waaa-aay out of place for a culture opposed to fake religious icons.
                        That makes no sense, what has one got to do with the other?
                      • Irregardless of who get changed in the timeline... For the time-travel McGuffin to have worked, there needed to be 2 'Baals' at the begining of the story. So in suggesting that, there are indeed more than 1 Baal still alive.
                        Of course there were two Ba'als alive, we see them both die at the end. One undergoes the extraction process, the other one is killed by Alt-Mitchell
                      • If the captured Baal was the real Baal: You establish Baal 'A' is being deleted during the extraction ceremony, Baal 'B' is back in time. The deletion of Baal 'A' would have 'erased' all the Ball clones. Baal 'B's altering of the timeline would erase himself (the TRUE grandfather paradox).
                        The captured Ba'al wasn't the real Ba'al, that was made clear.
                      • If the captured Baal was a clone; The story would work if the second 'Baal' was either a clone or the real 'Baal'. - Hence my comment that the first big plot hole no longer existed.
                        I don't follow...
                      • Mitchell's grandfathers death in the alternate timeline would have erased mitchel. So why did Mitchel remain? he would have been among the first to dissappear. Even Sam noted the Paradox, whcih she herself had debunked in earlier episodes
                        Mitchell was in the wormhole, out of normal space-time.
                      • This establishes that people in wormhole transit are 'unaffected' by changes in the timestream when they emerge. Since there are tens of thousands of gates in the universe, and travellers are constantly using them - more than a few people would have been stranded by the shift in time.
                        Not a plot hole.
                      • As people were 'displaced', realistically they would be replaced with others - had the timeline progressed. So rather than a 'piece by piece elmination', we would likely have seen 'piece by piece replacement before it all dissolved'.
                        Not really, the whole settlement would probably never have existed at all had the timeline been changed
                      • There are a dozen others... but this one set's the pace. and please forgive the spelling...

Originally posted by UrukHai View Post

Better? Being illegal doesn't automatically make something bad.

Comment

I agree with Jenks on this one, most of those can either be explained or, if they really bug you, just ignored. Honestly, what was wrong with the "piece-by-piece" stuff? It added a really dramatic and cool twist to it all, who cares if it wasn't entirely scientific??? We're watching sci-fi, people, it does have the "fi" tacked on for a reason.
                        Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                        Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                          I agree with Jenks on this one, most of those can either be explained or, if they really bug you, just ignored. Honestly, what was wrong with the "piece-by-piece" stuff? It added a really dramatic and cool twist to it all, who cares if it wasn't entirely scientific??? We're watching sci-fi, people, it does have the "fi" tacked on for a reason.
                          I agree with that - it's just that the attention to detail - something 'some' fans enjoy - would have made it an near perfect experience, and guaranteed a third movie. Good Scifi has holes, Great scifi has smaller ones.

As for Jenks avatar... the picture is a classic 'E' clubber pic used on posters and handouts for raves here in Canada and the Uk. I have a little experience in that area.

Used to party myself, until I had kids, grew up and realized the waste it is. Now I work with people who want out of that lifestyle. Don't get me wrong, enjoy it while you can, as when it ends buddy, it really ends and it's never ever the same again. No point in glorifying a feculant lifestyle choice, it's like wearing a sign on your head saying 'future waste of societies resources'.

Parting Plot Hole

Spoiler:
                          When Carter scans for a suitable solar flare she finds one that sends Mitchel back 10 years before the Gate is moved from Egypt. Sadly, that coincides with the gates discovery... Mitchel would have gated into the sand, or more specifically, the gate could never have connected. Carter had to have gotten the date wrong, and Mitchel survived by the skin of his teeth.

Comment

Honestly, what was wrong with the "piece-by-piece" stuff? It added a really dramatic and cool twist to it all
                            Spoiler:
                            Earth's history was derailed first, therefore the Tau'ri should have vanished first during the Tok'ra ceremony, not the opposite.

Personally, I agree with those who suggest that once Ba'al boarded the Achilles, the initial timeline should have been erased as a whole and replaced by a new one.

who cares if it wasn't entirely scientific???
                            All sci-fi fans, I would hope, but I'm obviously wrong.
                            Last edited by Stormtrooper; 04 July 2008, 07:56 PM.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jenks
                              Back on topic:
                              Spoiler:
                              The gate was discovered in 1928, Cam was sent back to 1929.
                              Indeed, kudos to the writer(s) on that one.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X