Why can't we share hyperspace?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why can't we share hyperspace?

Seriously, every night before I go to bed I tell myself to post this on gateworld..

Two days straight, when I wanted to post it, I forgot. Now I got it.

We seen goa'uld ships, wraith ships, almost every type of ship share a hyperspace window. They go in the same one.

Yet in BAMSR, Daedalus and Apollo came out of two diffirent windows. I did not expect this at all.

How come our ships can't go in the same window?

Go Green

carter says she was surprised they both arriving at the same time. which would suggest they came from to separate place and not being able to share a hyperspace window.
    sigpic

Comment

i havent seen the episode in a while but maybe they left from different places, or they wanted to exit in a more strategic formation

Comment

I think the reason she said that was because ussualy the ships wouldn't arrive at the same time as they would be doing different things, And not that she was suprised about them being a few minutes apart more that she didn't expect them together at all.

Stargate is very contradictory, Im sure in a few episodes they said only 1 ship can survive in a subspace window and that tehre is no matter in it. But we regularly see ships traveling in the same window together.

Generally don't know on this one. Maybe the Asgard didn't want us sharing the same window for some tactical reason (They were scared we'd use it against them).
        if it wasnt for Carters new plot shield we would be dead

Comment

In the episode where we see the O'Neill didn't that and the replicator ship share the hyperspace window, I cant remember whether the replicator ship was a replicator ship or a commandeered Asgard.

Comment

replicator ship. it requires perfect timing and such, something our computers cant handle. and besides, it would cost CGI to have a new shot of two deadali in hyperspace

Comment

I agree with thekillman that sharing hyperspace must mean very precise calculations and synchronization - hence Wraith ships that belong to the same "team" share hyperspace. And, the Asgaards were prepared when the replicator stole their ship- AND they know enough about it b/c it was their own technology to be able to share hyperspace and chase after it.
              I guess sharing hyperspace has its dangers, ie, if you had to drop out suddenly, would you collide with each other? ANd, you couldn't appear at slightly different positions to surround an enemy.

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                replicator ship. it requires perfect timing and such, something our computers cant handle. and besides, it would cost CGI to have a new shot of two deadali in hyperspace
                No, that's not how it went. The Replicator ship opened a windoe and fled, and Thor jumped in the same window after him.
                Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

Originally posted by s09119 View Post
                  No, that's not how it went. The Replicator ship opened a windoe and fled, and Thor jumped in the same window after him.
                  I believe the window even closed on Thors side before they jumped after the replicators and yet they ended up in the same window.
                  Daniel to Thor: Wait, you're actually saying you need someone dumber then you are?
                  Jack: You may have come to the right place.

Comment

Same hyperdrive, same origin, same destination. They would be traveling through the same layer of subspace in the same direction.
                    Originally posted by Craig Charles
                    "And the 'replicator' has just entered Sir Killalot's corner and Killalot is...urm...wait a minute... Sir Killalot has just been eaten by the 'replicator' and now there's two of them..."

Comment

INT—CORRIDORS IN THOR'S SHIP

[Carter and Teal'c walk along the corridor, prepared for attack. Replicator noise can be heard through the walls. Teal'c stops to listen and study the walls as Carter continues on. A replicator is about to attack Carter and as she turns to fire, she is enveloped in a bright light.]

TEAL'C
                      Major Carter!
                      [Teal'c fires on the replicator, disintegrating it.]

TEAL'C
                      (over radio)
                      Thor, it is Teal'c. Major Carter was beamed away. Is she in your presence?
                      INT—BRIDGE OF THOR'S SHIP

THOR
                      I did not do it. The replicators must have her.
                      INT—CORRIDORS IN THOR'S SHIP

[More replicators appear and Teal'c shoots at them.]

EXT—SPACE

[The replicator ship goes into hyperspace.]

[Teal'c enters the bridge. Thor is still at the control station.]

TEAL'C
                      I have eliminated all of the replicators I could locate.
                      THOR
                      There is no way of knowing if there are more. The replicator ship has entered hyperspace.
                      TEAL'C
                      Can you follow?
                      THOR
                      Yes.

[The viewscreen shows the replicator ship, with Thor's ship trailing behind.]

TEAL'C
                      Do you know its destination?
                      THOR
                      Before you destroyed them, the replicators managed to access the ship's computer. They learned the location of Orilla, the planet where we are attempting to rebuild the Asgard civilization. I assumed it would be their first target.
                      TEAL'C
                      What is your reasoning?
                      THOR
                      Orilla is rich in neutronium, which is a key element in Asgard technology. It is also essential for the creation of human-form replicators.

the ship had left already. the asgard then pursued. however, this would require pinpoint precision, something the asgard can do.

but not for us. real reason is: CGI costs

Comment

The only thing why our ships didn't share hyperspace, is because on-screen there was no occasion, except in BAMSR, so there was no CGI made for it. And there, they used separate windows, because they have the good old Daedalus travelling in hyperspace shot, which has been used the past 5 years-or-so(in SG-1 too, just mirrored, giving the basis for the myth that Odyssey has her engineering tower on the right). So maybe at some point when they edited BAMSR, there was a part with a conversation on one of the ships while they were travelling from Atlantis, to the place where they knocked out the first replicator Aurora, but later it was cut out. So just in case, the animations were made this way, with Daedalus and Apollo coming out of separate hyperspace windows. We don't know if they can or cannot share hyperspace, all we know is that they didn't. So in my opinion, the only reason for them not sharing, is that TPTB doesn't want to spend on making a new CG shot, with both ships flying in hyperspace.
                        Trailers and PR
                        Stargate: War Begins team
                        http://www.moddb.com/mods/9705/stargate-mod-war-begins
                        forums:
                        http://stargatethewarbegins.tk/

sigpic

We will miss you Hammond of Texas!

Comment

which is what i said

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            which is what i said
                            We never saw the window close, did we...? Thor just said it entered hyperspace, and then his ship was immediately behind the Replicator one. It looked to me like Fifth opened a window and jumped into it, and Thor immediately jumped in after him.
                            Click the banner or episode links to visit the virtual continuations of Stargate!
                            Previous Episode: 11x03 "Shore Leave" | Previous Episode: 6x04 "Nightfall" | Now Airing: 3x06 "Eldest"

Comment

but the repliship had already left

Comment

Working...
                              X