X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Continuum: how 'theatrical' is it? Comparison with TAoT

Hi
    I've read many interviews and saw all the available featurettes about this movie, and almost everyone says that this movie is very epic, very 'big' and very 'wide' and it could have worked as a theatrical release.
    Now... some say the same thing about TAoT (The Ark of Truth), but I don't agree at all.
    TAoT was great, but only if compared to a TV episode (and there are some episodes that are almost at its same level, if not higher, like "Reckoning"). Yes, it has many wide shots, and many FX, but it looks just a little more-than-a-TV-episode.
    I enjoyed it, don't misunderstand me!
    But I don't think it is so theatrical as many (including TPTB) say.

Ok, I know some people in this Forum have seen Continuum so my question to them is: what do you think about Continuum in comparison with The Ark of Truth? Is it MORE theatrical or just at the same level? Does it sounds more like "Stargate SG-1: The [long awaited] Movie" or "Yet another direct-to-DVD extended and enhanced episode" ?

As anyone can see, my question is spoiler-free and I think that can be answered without any problem about the 'secrecy'... and without spoilers
    An Italian Gater

AoT doesn't have jets and nuclear subs

Comment

Very theatrical, from the scope of the shots and the location as well as the better then ever VFX it is VERY VERY good. I'm no cinematographer I do watch a lot of movies, it's great.

Also what silly sally said + more.

Comment

Originally posted by VOOK View Post
        Very theatrical, from the scope of the shots and the location as well as the better then ever VFX it is VERY VERY good. I'm no cinematographer I do watch a lot of movies, it's great.

Also what silly sally said + more.

But for those who don't care that much about vfx, it has a good story and character's depth?
        sigpic
        Sig made by slizzie1986

Comment

Excellent story, everyone one is used and has a role. No matter no small.

Comment

Very much more theatrical than AOT. At least 5 or 10 times more theatrical.
            GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
            The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
            Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

Very, very, very GLAD to read this
              An Italian Gater

Comment

Could'nt agree more.. I even hesitate to buy AoT because I .. well. I even less liked it than many episodes (not to mention the very badly written and cheesy story..)

But whoppa, Continuum is a big big thumbs up. Defineately getting the DVD, would pay to see it in theatres every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren View Post
                  Very much more theatrical than AOT. At least 5 or 10 times more theatrical.
                  sigpic
                  The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Ark of Truth was a couple of TV episodes; slapping it on a DVD doesn't change that.

Continuum, on the other hand, is an actual movie. The pacing, the acting, the overall "look", the framing of the shots, the movement of the camera, the smaller number of angle changes within a particular scene, everything about it screams "movie".

They could throw this up in cinemas and it would be far more popular than the original was when it came out. Plus, it sets up the premise of the Stargate and the SGC very nicely, opening up a path to further movies for people who have never seen the TV series.

It does this in pretty much the same way as Mobius did, but that's REALLY not a fair comparison considering how very different Continuum is.

Comment

Originally posted by Dev Corvin View Post
                      Ark of Truth was a couple of TV episodes; slapping it on a DVD doesn't change that.

Continuum, on the other hand, is an actual movie. The pacing, the acting, the overall "look", the framing of the shots, the movement of the camera, the smaller number of angle changes within a particular scene, everything about it screams "movie".

They could throw this up in cinemas and it would be far more popular than the original was when it came out. Plus, it sets up the premise of the Stargate and the SGC very nicely, opening up a path to further movies for people who have never seen the TV series.

It does this in pretty much the same way as Mobius did, but that's REALLY not a fair comparison considering how very different Continuum is.
                      Not a chance in hell. I'm sorry but people are really getting too carried away with Continuum, yes it was great for Stargate, but to a wider audience all it does is scream cheap scifi action flick, it would get no where at the theatres. The direction is great and the visual effects aren't the problem, but some of the writing is a bit poor, and some of the performances weren't up to scratch either. Very entertaining, but we shouldn't kid ourselves that it's something it's not.

Comment

Agreed. I also wasn't very fond of the movie.
                        Mia: Don't you hate that?
                        Vincent: Hate what?
                        Mia: Uncomfortable silences. Why do we feel it's necessary to yak about bullsh*t in order to be comfortable?
                        Vincent: I don't know. That's a good question.
                        Mia: That's when you know you've found somebody really special: you can just shut the f*** up for a minute and comfortably share silence.
                        - Pulp Fiction

Comment

Oh I loved it for what it was, I just think some of the hype is a bit over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                            Oh I loved it for what it was, I just think some of the hype is a bit over the top.
                            I totally agree with your statements.

Comment

As a die hard Stargate fan I would love to see either movies on the big screen. But I really don't think AOT or Continuum were 'big' enough to be theatrical releases.
                              sigpic

Jack and Daniel...the old married couple.

Comment

Working...
                              X