This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Screenplay-savy Person Needed

Sorry if this is the wrong thread to post this in, but when I think about it... it makes sense to put it here.
    I've written a Screenplay, for a Theatrical Movie (suck it). I need someone who knows the business, to help me figure out, what I need to do, and what I need to submit to do this right.
    I've thought about who to send the Script to, and I've come to MGM and Universal Studios. MGM, because of the CGI that Stargate was able to pull off, with the budget of a straight-to-DVD-movie. And Universal, because, each and everyone of Galactica's episodes, have never lacked in detail and finesse.
    Anyway, thank you all, and if this is the wrong thread to post this in, just go ahead and move it. Thanks
    All of My Written Works
    Books I'm Reading:
    The Andromeda Strain (Michael Crichton)
    2001: A Space Odyssey (Arthur C. Clarke)

Originally posted by stargate_tech View Post
    I've written a Screenplay, for a Theatrical Movie (suck it).
    Sounds like an 18+ movie to me

Comment

i think you need an agent first, without one you'll probably end up without getting a penny from it.
      i found this website
      http://www.writersworkshop.co.uk/
      they give free advice and will even proofread your screenplay for a fee. it's uk based though, but i'm sure there are american versions.
      http://www.hollywoodscriptexpress.com/proofing.html
      http://www.breakingin.net/
      http://filmtvindustry.suite101.com/a...writing_advice
      http://www.writing.org/html/a_screenplay.htm
      http://www.ehow.com/how_107960_sell-screenplay.html
      http://www.askmen.com/fashion/how_to...67_how_to.html
      http://www.scriptproof.com/
      Spoiler:
      Disclaimer:
      I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
      Quotes!
      - "Things will not calm down, Daniel Jackson, they will in fact calm up!"
      - "I hope you like Guinness Sir, I find it a refreshing alternative to... food"
      - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks everyone, and by the way, suck it isn't the title, that's just to say, BOO YAH, I CAN DO STUFF
        Anywho, thanks Avatar III, I'll look into those
        Any other advice from anyone?
        All of My Written Works
        Books I'm Reading:

Comment

Thanks everyone, and by the way, suck it isn't the title, that's just to say, BOO YAH, I CAN DO STUFF
          Anywho, thanks Avatar III, I'll look into those
          Any other advice from anyone?
          the last link i posted seems quite good, a lot of services.

just some questions though

what is the genre (sci fi i assume), brief premise, and length of your screen play.

also how old are you and where are you from?
          Spoiler:
          Disclaimer:
          I have been using this username since 1998, it has no connection to "The Last Airbender", or James Cameron's movie.
          Quotes!
          - "I'm Beginning to regret staying up late to watch "Deuce Bigalow: European Gigalo" last night... Check that, i regretted it almost immediately"
          sigpic

Comment

Do you know if these sites are safe? I don't want to submit my script for proofreading, a week later, "what script?", a year later, "next biggest, sci-fi movie!!!"
            All of My Written Works
            Books I'm Reading:

Comment

Do you know if these sites are safe? I don't want to submit my script for proofreading, a week later, "what script?", a year later, "next biggest, sci-fi movie!!!"
              i would assume so, but there are sites like http://www.scambusters.org/ that you can use to check.
              Spoiler:
              Disclaimer:
              Quotes!
              sigpic

Comment

Even better, thank you
                All of My Written Works
                Books I'm Reading:

Comment

http://www.sec.gov/investor/pubs/cyberfraud.htm
                  Spoiler:
                  Disclaimer:
                  Quotes!
                  sigpic

Comment

They don't really do that, you know. Your screenplay would have to be an unprecedented masterpiece for someone in the MGM to put their career and reputation at risk over it.

If you are that afraid of your ideas being stolen, copyright your screenplay. If you can't afford it or you think it is too much hassle, print it out, put it in an envelope and mail it to yourself. When you get it, leave the envelope sealed and stash it away in case you ever need to sue the evil MGM for plagiarism. The post office stamp with the date on it and your name on the envelope will serve as a proof of your authorship.
                    Last edited by Womble; 25 June 2008, 02:09 PM.
                    If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

Honestly, no one is likely to pick up your script no matter how good it might be. You ideally need to go to film school just to make the contacts that you need and then you might come across someone who will read it, which might lead to something, which might get made. The harsh reality is that chances are very slim, so thinking about which studio does the best CGI is probably not the thing to worry about before you even have your foot in the door.

Comment

I've written a Screenplay, for a Theatrical Movie (suck it).
                        I don't want to submit my script for proofreading, a week later, "what script?", a year later, "next biggest, sci-fi movie!!!"
                        Well, you've certainly got the ego for Hollywood, anyway.

Get an agent, they're the ones who know what to do and can get your foot in the door... if they think it's worth the trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                          Honestly, no one is likely to pick up your script no matter how good it might be. You ideally need to go to film school just to make the contacts that you need and then you might come across someone who will read it, which might lead to something, which might get made. The harsh reality is that chances are very slim, so thinking about which studio does the best CGI is probably not the thing to worry about before you even have your foot in the door.
                          Too true.
                          If Algeria introduced a resolution declaring that the earth was flat and that Israel had flattened it, it would pass by a vote of 164 to 13 with 26 abstentions.- Abba Eban.

Comment

That just made my day.

Comment

Thanks to those who are helping
                              I do have an Agent, and the Agent will help me get my foot in the door?
                              All of My Written Works
                              Books I'm Reading:

Comment

Working...
                              X