This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Top 5 gut-wrenching moments

Well, what's done it for you? What parts in our favourite show have made you cringe and utter "oh no", what parts have made you sniffle a little? What's really got to you?

1: "Battlestar Galactica"
    Shortly after the attack on the Colonies began, Adama made his announcement to the crew that the Cylons had launched a massive attack against their home worlds and that the prognosis was grim but as yet unknown. "How, why, doesn't really matter right now. What matters is that, as of this moment, we are at war." Really hits me hard for some reason, and does every time. Even though I'm not an American I always flash back to the chaos and confusion of Sept 11 when EJO speaks those words.

2: "Pegasus"
    The moment when the Chief realizes they've killed Lt. Thorne. Now....yes, Thorne was a dispicable character and I know they had just come to Sharon's rescue but I don't believe for a second that they intended to kill the guy. And the Chief's absolutely defeated body language when they said as much just got me.

3: "Exodus, Part 2"
    The 'gentle execution'. Need I say more?

4: "Exodus, Part 2"
    The 'refugees return' scene was just so deliciously bittersweet. I know Kara's moment was an awful thing after what she'd been through, but it was really the Adama/Tigh moment that killed me. Adama solemnly congratulating Saul on bringing them home, and all Saul could say in response was "not all of them." The dejected, 'he's been to hell and back' walk away as Adama was hoisted up on cheering shoulders was a killer too.

5: "Maelstrom"
    For me this wasn't the Viper exploding, or Lee's shock and the shock in the CiC. For me this one was EJO's once-again stellar performance. The sobbing as he put the frontpiece on his model ship--and then promptly smashed it to pieces in his grief. Terrific (if expensive lol) improvisation that really brought the whole thing home.

Have at it.....
    Last edited by DigiFluid; 23 June 2008, 03:09 PM.
    "A society grows great when old men plant trees, the shade of which they know they will never sit in. Good people do things for other people. That's it, the end." -- Penelope Wilton in Ricky Gervais's After Life

I can't order them. And choosing just five is way too hard for someone as emotionally affected by the show as me! But I'll try.

The Miniseries
    The mini series "we are at war" speech as well. Wow. I get a lump in my throat every time I hear the actual "we are at war" part- even in the commercials for the DVDs! Such a loaded line. Actually pretty much the entire miniseries could go here. Last time I watched I realized again, just how impacting and brilliantly done it is- it's all devastatingly emotional in a way that as a slightly younger person, I'm not quite sure I recognized or was fully able to absorb when it originally aired- yes it had only been a couple of years since September eleventh, but at that age this kind of devastation felt so distant! But now with a few more years and understanding, seeing the mushroom clouds, the people running, the speech, Roslin's swearing in, just how fast all of these characters had to harden themselves to get through each moment, it's all the more moving, and it continues to really come through with each additional viewing- becoming more than just the entertainment (ooh space battles!) I initially found it. So ideally I'd like to place the entire mini in this spot, because the whole thing is truly gut-wrenching.

Sacrifice
    Billy's death- namely when Roslin cries over his body and tries to straighten his hair. He was so young with such potential, and so cute! Yeah. I still miss him.

Exodus Pt. II
    Tigh kills his wife, steps off the raptor to meet Adama, etc. *sniffle* Okay, that entire episode is ridiculously emotional! Even the frakkin CGI sequences! (hugely in part to Bear's music) Or is that just me?

Revelations
    The tracking shot at the end, enough said. I guarantee it will be stuck in my mind when I go back to re-watch the series- it will probably colour how I view pretty much everything, you can't get more gut-wrenching than that!

Revelations
    This is such a toss-up between Maelstrom and Revelations for the best Adama-loses-it scene. Without going into spoilers, I'll say THAT scene with Tigh, followed by the one with Lee. Nough said.

And ahhhhh! There are so many more! But will restrain.

Comment

The speech didn't hit me at all in the mini series. For me the most gut wrenching moment in the mini series was the scene where the colonial fleet had to leave behind the ships without FTL drives. The desperate calls from the people not to abandon them, the tortured face from Laura and the intercuts to the cute little girl who played in the hydroponic garden.

When Kara pinned Kats picture on the wall. I never liked Kat but after seeing how incredibly brave she was and tried to make the most of her screwed up life made me wish that she would pull through. To see that she didn't was a punch in the stomach

Occupation and all the episodes around it had a ton of painful moments - the rounding up of the civilians including Laura, Cally, Zarek for mass execution, when Saul had to kill Ellen, when it looked like the Galactica would be distroyed...a LOT of moments

Razor - we already knew what happened to the civilians since "Pegasus" but to actually see it - especially when Kendra and the other soldiers started shooting the civilians....painful

The end of "Revelations" - to see all the dreams and hopes being shattered - that was the most painful moment in the whole series
      He's like fire, ice and rage. He's like the night, and the storm in the heart of the sun.
      He's ancient and forever. He burns at the centre of time and he can see the turn of the universe.
      And he's wonderful.

Comment

You guys took all my gut wrenching moments

Some moments off the top of my head:

- Remember the scene in the miniseries with Roslin and the little girl? She was sitting there all by herself while you could see all the ships jumping away... was so sad.

- "You cannot play God then wash your hands of the things that you've created. Sooner or later, the day comes when you can't hide from the things that you've done anymore."

- All the scenes with Gina... especially when she blew herself up

- The suicide bombing in Occupation/Precipice (don't remember which)

- All of Exodus II

- Kat's death in the Passage

- Helo shooting his own wife (don't remember which ep that was)

- Boxing of D'Anna (I adored her)

S4 spoilers:
        Spoiler:

- Cally finding out the truth about Tyrol in The Ties that Bind
        - Adama staying behind in a raptor in Sina Qua Non
        - Tigh stoically awaiting his fate in the airlock in Revelations

Okay... that was a bit more than five

Comment

Originally posted by Kezia View Post
          Spoiler:
          - Adama staying behind in a raptor in Sina Qua Non
          That was a happy emotional moment! (well, not for Tigh and Lee(land) *giggles*, but for the audience yes!) Did anyone really have any doubt as to how that would end up?

Comment

What comes to mind:
            Spoiler:
            Cally's murder in 'The Ties That Bind'
            In front of her son. It was shocking, and sad.

Tigh killing his wife in 'Exodus'
            Poor guy. Loses an eye, then has to kill his own wife.

Kat's death in 'The Passage'
            Left to die a horrible death from radiation poisoning, and when Starbuck gives her those pills..

Baltar's interrogation in 'Taking a Break From All Your Worries'
            Everyone's got it in for poor Baltar.

Trials and executions in 'Collaborators'
            Seeing our 'heroes' execute people who were trying to help reminds you how dark this show really is.

Allegories in 'Occupation'
            The 'good guys' become terrorists. A brilliant allegory to the Iraq war.
            sigpic
            http://annorasponderings.tumblr.com/
            http://circumvented.tumblr.com/

Comment

only 5? heck there is usually one an episode. so I will have to say, the entire series including the mini series.

Comment

Originally posted by shipper hannah View Post
                Kat's death in 'The Passage'
                Left to die a horrible death from radiation poisoning, and when Starbuck gives her those pills..
                That's making my list too.....that scene was devestating, and said a lot about Starbuck- she and Kat never got along, they were so alike, but she developed a great deal of respect for her. I liked it when she went to revisit her picture in Revelations.

Comment

Originally posted by peragrin View Post
                  only 5? heck there is usually one an episode. so I will have to say, the entire series including the mini series.
                  *sigh* I like your answer best.

This whole show is such a downer! Why do we bother watching!?

Comment

Originally posted by Trek_Girl42 View Post
                    That was a happy emotional moment! (well, not for Tigh and Lee(land) *giggles*, but for the audience yes!) Did anyone really have any doubt as to how that would end up?

Originally posted by shipper hannah
                    Baltar's interrogation in 'Taking a Break From All Your Worries'
                    Everyone's got it in for poor Baltar.
                    That reminds me, Leeland's speech in Crossroads II was one of my favourite moments in the series... that was great.

Comment

I don't have any particular order to this

1)Tigh admitting he was a Cylon to Adama and his reaction to it

2)Billy's death... it was also made much harder by the fact his replacement sucks horribly (die Tory die!)

3)pretty much any scene in early season 3 involving how fethed up Tigh and Saul had become (this includes Tigh killing his wife)

4)seeing the little Kids in black Market... words can not describe how much I hate that episode but Pedophiles as far as im concerned should be lined up and shot >_>

5)Admiral Adama's reaction to Karas ''Death''

Comment

1. "NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!"
                        (Adama bleeding on the DRADIS console, being held by Lee, Dee and Tigh.)

2. "Give me sledge and a number 12 spanner. All right. Now close this hatch behind me. We're losing air, close the gods damn hatch. Close it!"
                        (Garner goes back to the snipes to save the Pegasus.)

3. "Oh, my god. My god, Gaius - it's me."
                        (Gaius [and Six] sees Gina for the first time.)

4. "I don't understand. She was doing so well."
                        (Cottle tells Helo and Sharon their daughter is dead.)

Spoiler:
                        "Saul! SAUL! What the hell is wrong with you?"
                        "Nothing, Bill. I've never felt better in my life."

*BANG*

(Saul's Cylon imagination comes into play.)
                        Last edited by Lady Snow; 23 June 2008, 11:24 PM. Reason: Stupid typo. :)
                        Words to live by: "When in doubt, shoot at the guy yelling 'Kree!'."

Let's try this again: Spoiler-free 'til Season 4.5.

EJO on the blooper reel: "I hope you like it... or I'll SQUASH YOUR NUTS."

Spoiler:
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh Damn. This is hard!

Okay letsee (in a linear order):

1. In the miniseries, when Roslin and the civilian fleet leave behind the other ships without FTL's. The garden ship with the little girl. I guess the first time is always the hardest eh?

2."Litmus" The whole tribunal episode was pretty terrifying. Socinus takes the heat and it nearly destroys Tyrol and the repercussions lead to another episode, "Kobol's Last Gleaming, Part 1" where Boomer attempts suicide.

3. The Gina moments, especially the first time we saw her in "Pegasus". The Darkest Side of humanity and a definite punch in the gut. The scene where Gina shoots Admiral Cain in "Resurrection Ship, Part 2" comes close though.

4. "Collaborators" When the circle airlocks Jammer and later when they almost airlock Gaeta. I was hoping that season four would deal with the Irony of Cylons (Tyrol, Tigh and Anders) killing Cylon collaborators, but alas, there is just not enough time for things like that. Watching Jammer plead for his life is a very hard thing to do.

5. The last scene of "Revelations", after all that joy. Such a heartbreaking scene.

Honourable Mentions:

-The whole arc where the Raptor crew were stranded on Kobol. "Valley of Darkness" where Tyrol euthanizes Socinus and "Fragged" where Baltar kills Crashdown are two moments that really stand out for me. Kobol certainly helped to bring out the dark side of that expedition and Baltar's Head Six was at her most chilling.

-The destruction of the Olympic Carrier in "33"

-The Death of Starbuck in Maelstrom.

-Kat's journey in "The Passage", her sacrifice. Something about that episode epitomizes the whole series.
                          "Prepare to meet your DOOM."

"It's not about making money, it's about taking money. Destroying the status quo, because the status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to...rule it."

GADZOOKS

Comment

Originally posted by DigiFluid View Post
                            Well, what's done it for you? What parts in our favourite show have made you cringe and utter "oh no", what parts have made you sniffle a little? What's really got to you?

4: "Exodus, Part 2"
                            The 'refugees return' scene was just so deliciously bittersweet. I know Kara's moment was an awful thing after what she'd been through, but it was really the Adama/Tigh moment that killed me. Adama solemnly congratulating Saul on bringing them home, and all Saul could say in response was "not all of them." The dejected, 'he's been to hell and back' walk away as Adama was hoisted up on cheering shoulders was a killer too.
                            That one is without a doubt in my top 5. Very powerful top-notch scene.

This would probably make my top 5 as it's most definitely sniffle worthy:

That whole scene were Roslin presents Adama with the admiral pins on Colonial One. Makes me wanna cry now just thinking about it and when you combine it with the music.... Their theme music is so beautiful.
                            IMO always implied.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneStar1836 View Post
                              That one is without a doubt in my top 5. Very powerful top-notch scene.

This would probably make my top 5 as it's most definitely sniffle worthy:

That whole scene were Roslin presents Adama with the admiral pins on Colonial One. Makes me wanna cry now just thinking about it and when you combine it with the music.... Their theme music is so beautiful.
                              *sniffle* And she's so close to dying and everything and that's just hanging between them throughout the whole scene and then she has trouble walking.

Comment

Working...
                              X