Clear All

BlogCritic: Online Fans Represent TV's Vocal Minority

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/06/16/104112.php

Online Fans Represent TV's Vocal Minority

Written by Diane Kristine
    Published June 16, 2008
    Part of Banff World Television Festival

Excerpt:

Martin Wood, currently executive producing and directing the upcoming science fiction show Sanctuary, reflected on the number of fansites and social networks his previous series, Stargate SG-1 and Stargate: Atlantis, spawned. "You learn that the majority of your audience is not responding on those things," he warned in our interview. "So a relatively small number of people are being very loud about what they want. If you respond to it the way you think you should, it's not necessarily the best thing for the show."

REST AT LINK ABOVE

Martin Wood’s interview at

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/06/15/112618.php

Also posted at
    http://forum.gateworld.net/showthread.php?t=44027

This is an excellent article! Thanks for posting it.

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
      This is an excellent article! Thanks for posting it.
      You're welcome. I found it interesting to read TPTB's comments on online fandom

Comment

Thanks, prion!

This is a very interesting article, on the degree to which TV producers listen (or rather DO NOT listen) to the reactions and pleas of their shows' most hardcore fans. Well worth the read, though as a hardcore fan the realism of it all is a bit disheartening.
        GateWorld Podcast - Info - iTunes - Google
        The Stargate Omnipedia - www.StargateOmnipedia.com
        Stargate Image Gallery - www.StargateGallery.com

Comment

I actually found their comments very reassuring, especially the part about how people post really harsh negative things when they don't like something but tend to not say good things about the things they do like. I've found that to be the case too, and I'm glad to know TPTB know it too. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by ShardsofGlass View Post
            I actually found their comments very reassuring, especially the part about how people post really harsh negative things when they don't like something but tend to not say good things about the things they do like. I've found that to be the case too, and I'm glad to know TPTB know it too. LOL

The most vocal online fans are the ones who want something (ship, slash, whatever) and when they don't get it, they scream bloody murder. It's not all, but just a handful can make a lot of racket I think TTPB take a LOT of what fans say (good or bad) with a grain of salt. Otherwise, they'd go nuts with the people who scream, and the opposite, those that suck up

Comment

Working...
            X