PDA

View Full Version : Theaters, DVD, does it matter?

Daniel Jackson
June 15th, 2008, 09:33 PM
Does it really matter if the SG-1 movies are released in theaters, like the original movie, or directly to DVD? It would be nice to watch it on a huge theater screen with that booming audio. However, most new releases I see these days are on my computer or TV, and it's just as enjoyable as if I saw it at the movie theater.

I'm asking if it matters to you, specifically, not people in general.

Ripple in Space
June 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I'm glad AoT got a DVD release, because for a DVD release it exceeded all expectations, but would've died in Theaters. Thus it broke ground for future SG-1 movies which is obviously desirable.

With Continuum I have mixed feelings. Based on what we've seen I think it might have been able to have been marketed as Stargate the Movie 2. It's a standalone and builds on the original mythology. It also has "name" actors like RDA, William Devane and Beau Bridges. I think it certainly would've surpassed "Serenity" which built from an obscure show and unknown cast.

Between the bigger cast, known Movie & TV show foundation, it would've at least done credibly well.

But as far as viewing preference, I could care less, but I do have an HDTV.

jenks
June 16th, 2008, 10:10 AM
Doesn't bother me at all, I probably wouldn't go and see it at theatres anyway. I'd rather they stick to DVD and keep the franchise healthy than risk losing money at the box office, especially considering when franchises make the leap back to cinemas after a while they start getting bright ideas about changing canon and 're-imagining' and such.

Madeleine
June 16th, 2008, 10:54 AM
TV or DVD suits me better; once I've paid the babysitter and bought tickets for me and Mr W and added the cost of petrol , a trip to the cinema comes to over £40.

jnolan
June 16th, 2008, 12:02 PM
I would rather watch it on DVD i think.

Major_Griff
June 16th, 2008, 09:21 PM
I rather watch it in my house and not get my feet stuck to the floor.

SaberBlade
June 16th, 2008, 09:52 PM
I don't think it really matters. While I do admit that I would enjoy the prospect of seeing it on the big screen, unless it was given a worldwide general release I don't really see the point.

If MGM really wanted to make some quick cash before the release then yeah I could see them doing it, but I can't really see a direct to dvd movie doing all that well. That said, Serenity did make almost $40 million at the box office and it's series had only 13 episodes. I think the fanbase is big enough, but I am not sure MGM think the low funding towards the movie would deem it suitable for a cinema release.

That said, it just delays the movie's release on DVD anyway and that's where the big money is going to be, maybe they could do a couple of limited releases in a few places but I can't see more than that.

Bagpuss
June 17th, 2008, 01:02 AM
TV or DVD suits me better; once I've paid the babysitter and bought tickets for me and Mr W and added the cost of petrol , a trip to the cinema comes to over £40.
*Nods*
Much as I'd love to watch a Stargate movie at the cinema ,the costs are too high for me to consider going with the family ,though we'd all love to see Continuum or future movies at the Odeon .

4 adult tickets ,plus petrol,parking ,and a couple of drinks ...and the cost for admission. I think I'd be lucky now to see change from £50 !

On the other hand ,I can buy the DVD for about £12-16, watch it as often as I like ,and spend a few Pounds on juice ,tea and a big drum of popcorn .
Result = everyone happy and we can pause/rewatch anything at the touch of a button.

DVD release wins .Though I would possibly sneak to a showing alone if I ever get the chance .:D

jebus
June 17th, 2008, 07:01 AM
I think direct to DVD is ideal, I get to own it as soon as its released and dont have to pay for it twice if I want to see it as soon as it comes out.

mrscopterdoc
June 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM
I would rather watch it at home and save money. We have home theater so it would be okay.

prion
June 17th, 2008, 08:54 AM
It makes a huge difference.

Direct-to-DVD movies have minimal costs. Advertising (tv ads, magazine, word of mouth) and well, go direct to DVD. Sales figures are easier to calculate.

Theatrical? Well, you're battling with the latest Jack Black movie, or
something else,and if the movie doesn't do boffo in the first week or so, it's yanked, and all the distribution expenses get written off.

The funny thing is that now, some home units are SOOO big that it's like having a movie theater in your house. I saw one - $40K - it was incredible, but I just don't have that spare pocket change. ;)

And direct to DVD means no driving to theater, getting car dinged by some inconsiderate oaf in an SUV slamming open his door, paying outrageous popcorn fees (well, in all honesty, I steal from my friend's popcorn bucket), and I can watch it over and over again. And if one person buys a $20 movie and you've got five people watching, you've saved money.

But you know, it would be nice just once to see a Stargate on the big screen, just for the fun of it. Ah, when I win Powerball ;)

jenks
June 17th, 2008, 10:20 AM
I don't think it really matters. While I do admit that I would enjoy the prospect of seeing it on the big screen, unless it was given a worldwide general release I don't really see the point.

If MGM really wanted to make some quick cash before the release then yeah I could see them doing it, but I can't really see a direct to dvd movie doing all that well. That said, Serenity did make almost $40 million at the box office and it's series had only 13 episodes. I think the fanbase is big enough, but I am not sure MGM think the low funding towards the movie would deem it suitable for a cinema release.

That said, it just delays the movie's release on DVD anyway and that's where the big money is going to be, maybe they could do a couple of limited releases in a few places but I can't see more than that.

Yeah but it cost almost $40m to make!

g.o.d
June 17th, 2008, 11:06 AM

budget is not everything. For me, it is the story. And Serenity was great and AoT was awful movie. Of course, it's my personal opinion

jenks
June 17th, 2008, 11:13 AM
budget is not everything. For me, it is the story. And Serenity was great and AoT was awful movie. Of course, it's my personal opinion

Not my point, I'm saying that it didn't make any money.

g.o.d
June 17th, 2008, 11:17 AM
Not my point, I'm saying that it didn't make any money.

it depends on how big fanbase is/was.

Madeleine
June 17th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Serenity made pots of money, but not until the DVD was released. At the cinemas it made such a small net profit that it barely ranked above breaking even.

jenks
June 17th, 2008, 11:52 AM
it depends on how big fanbase is/was.

What? Serenity didn't make money at the box office.

Jack_Bauer
June 17th, 2008, 11:59 PM
Does it really matter if the SG-1 movies are released in theaters, like the original movie, or directly to DVD? It would be nice to watch it on a huge theater screen with that booming audio. However, most new releases I see these days are on my computer or TV, and it's just as enjoyable as if I saw it at the movie theater.

Its would be cool if it got to the theatres cos then we could all say "told u stargate was awesome!"

SaberBlade
June 17th, 2008, 11:59 PM

My point is that if a series with 13 episodes can film a movie that makes $40 million dollars, then a movie based on a series that lasted 10 seasons should be able to make a decent amount of money, especially if that movie cost about $7 million to make.

I'm sure that a box office release wouldn't hurt. If anything it should at worst make back it's own production costs, anything else (especially the DVD release) could end up being nothing but profit since all costs could be made back from the cinema release.

Jack_Bauer
June 18th, 2008, 12:04 AM
Sorry, forgot my opinion, HELL YEAH to the theatres

flynn1959
June 20th, 2008, 01:33 AM
I would prefer dvd movies. A trip to the cinema for our family costs in excess of £40. I can buy four dvd's for that and enjoy them whenever I want. At home we have a big screen, can eat our own snacks and drinks, and have a loo break when needed!

The last time we went to the cinema my youngest got gum all over her new jeans, the loos were filthy, and we couldn't hear what the actors were saying because a group of young girls in the row in front of us were talking loudly the whole time. :(

VSS
June 22nd, 2008, 11:31 AM
I also wonder if the Stargate franchise might be on the cutting edge of entertainment in terms of the audience being more tech savvy (it's sci fi, after all) and really not needing the big screen and big advertising budget to hit that target audience.

For instance, Instapundit just linked to the Continuum trailer today. If you've never seen an Instalanche, you might not recognize what an incredible boost of free advertising that is. It''l probably keep Continuum at #1 for days. But that's where the future lies. Of course, we all know that Gateworld is a huge source of traffic for the DVDs (I hope Stargate recognizes that as well) and Amazon's list of bestsellers.

This also dovetails nicely with what you all have mentioned in terms of the quality of home viewing, the low cost to make a DVD and the major inconvenience of actually going to the movies.

In short, I think theatres are dinosaurs. Alternative media is passing them by. Mitchell may have poked fun at Firefly in 200, but that's exactly what Stargate has done, with apparently great success. Maybe they do need a big-screen blockbuster to bring in new fans, but maybe not.

the fifth man
June 27th, 2008, 07:32 PM
I'm very content with the DVD movie format so far. I loved AOT, and think Continuum is going to be even better.

captain jake
June 28th, 2008, 01:26 AM
I prefer DVD format, we have an impressive theater room and I have a HD television in my room so either way I get better quality than going to the theaters. When you go to the theaters you have to sit in uncomfortable seats, you can't control what the people around you are doing and let's not forget those sticky floors. I say DVD format is best but I would go see them at the theaters if they released it there.

badwolfSG
June 28th, 2008, 11:41 PM
DVD all the way! :cool: For the reasons all the people said above!

gioia
July 1st, 2008, 10:58 PM

Lol, of course it matters. The bigger, the better;)
We can always have DVD later.

Elite Anubis Guard
July 2nd, 2008, 12:25 AM
It's all about the experience of watching it in a theatre.

jenks
July 2nd, 2008, 12:52 AM
And what if it flops and kills the franchise?

gioia
July 2nd, 2008, 01:19 AM

yeah, there is that, and it'd be terrible. But I thought the question was 'does it really matter to watch it in theaters instead of our home, not the possible consequences to the franchise.' Maybe I got it wrong:P

Elite Anubis Guard
July 2nd, 2008, 02:57 AM

*shrugs* It wont be doing that anyway. And I'm gonna get that theatre experience and so will some other lucky fans in the UK so I'm happy. :cameron:

flynn1959
July 5th, 2008, 01:08 PM
It's all about the experience of watching it in a theatre.

We have that at home too and can stop the movie anytime we want for drinks, loo breaks that kind of thing.

I think cinemas have been pricing themselves out of the market for a while now. We are a family of five and a trip to the movies costs us around £60 with drinks/snacks. Add to that the cost of getting there and the distraction of a few people who simply can't keep quiet for more than five minutes at a time and it a much better experience watching at home. A year ago we splashed out and turned our garage into a home cinema, big screen, comfy seats, surround sound etc. It's amazing, so to me it has to be dvd all the way.:)

July 7th, 2008, 03:22 PM
It seems that Stargate fans are geeky losers that never leave the house.

SaberBlade
July 7th, 2008, 03:33 PM
It seems that Stargate fans are geeky losers that never leave the house.

I take offence to that.

I was a geeky loser who never left the house long before Stargate.

PG15
July 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM
Indeed!

And what's the real point of leaving the house anyway? Why should I have to endure the existence of other, non-fictional people?

SaberBlade
July 7th, 2008, 04:28 PM
Indeed!

And what's the real point of leaving the house anyway? Why should I have to endure the existence of other, non-fictional people?

Agreed. It's not like non-fictional people do anything exciting anyway.

July 7th, 2008, 04:32 PM
I agree:)

DanJack
July 7th, 2008, 04:53 PM

That's funny, I felt exactly the opposite. I loved the Firefly series, but I felt Serenity abandoned what was good about the series, and flushed the whole thing down the crapper.

I think releasing an SG-1 movie in the theaters could be a big boost for the franchise. It could do for Stargate what the Star Trek movies did for the Star Trek franchise.

:jonas: Lives!

PG15
July 7th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Agreed. It's not like non-fictional people do anything exciting anyway.

Exactly. When's the last time you saw your next door neighbor battle replicators? I'm gonna guess never.

And they also exist; a total turn off for those wishing to warp reality to conform with their ideal world.

Write fanfic about Sam/Jack, and it's all fine. Write fanfic featuring your next door neighbor battling replicators, and they give you a restraining order. Anyone can see which bunch are better.

the fifth man
July 7th, 2008, 07:42 PM
Exactly. When's the last time you saw your next door neighbor battle replicators? I'm gonna guess never.

And they also exist; a total turn off for those wishing to warp reality to conform with their ideal world.

Write fanfic about Sam/Jack, and it's all fine. Write fanfic featuring your next door neighbor battling replicators, and they give you a restraining order. Anyone can see which bunch are better.

LMAO!!! Thanks, I needed a good laugh.:D

SaberBlade
July 8th, 2008, 07:04 AM

Damn right. Last thing anyone around here battled was street hooligans, which can be fun in it's own right. But add a death canon inside a mountain which can wipe out life across a galaxy and create a race of evil street hooligans, now you have something special.

PG15
July 8th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Couldn't agree with you more! But if you try that in real life, they call you a genocidal maniac with a God complex. It's so unfair.

*Sigh* real life. Why you irk me so?

OrangeCrush
July 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM

Of course it matters. It has a huge effect on the overall planned budget of the film. Films that are slated for direct to video release have much smaller budgets than films that have theatrical releases and its just common sense why that is. A movie released in the theater has the opportunity to make a considerable amount of additional money than a film released just to DVD.

The budget for each Stargate film was 7 Million dollars and had these films been slated for a theatrical release you can bet those budgets would have exceeded 30 million at least.

That isn't to say that direct to DVD still cant make a lot of money because they absolutely can. DVD sales in 2007 were 3 times higher than the total theatrical sales so as you can see SD DVD is an absolute powerhouse and can make even unsuccessful theatrical bombs into profitable films. Still that will never take away from the fact that a successful film at the box office can make anywhere from 100-200 million before it ever gets onto the DVD shelf and because of that fact budgets for direct to video will never equal theatrical films budgets.

Edit....

Oops for some reason I missed the last sentence of your post.

"I'm asking if it matters to you, specifically, not people in general."

I thought you were speaking in general but as I can see know you were referring to personal enjoyment and in that regard I say no it doesnt matter. I have invested a small fortune into my home entertainment system and I actually prefer watching films in the comfort of my own home. The food is better, the drinks are better and even the picture quality and sound is better.
Sure there are some films that I enjoy seeing in the theater especially horror films but as a general rule I absolutely prefer watching films on my home system than in a theater.

ToasterOnFire
July 8th, 2008, 11:38 AM
The way to solve the DVD vs. theater feud is to build a home theater that's indistinguishable from a regular theater. :D :D

retiredat44
July 15th, 2008, 08:45 PM
The way to solve the DVD vs. theater feud is to build a home theater that's indistinguishable from a regular theater. :D :D
I have a 46" LCD HDTV and the Continuum DVD has been pre-ordered :hallowed:

Bytor
July 17th, 2008, 06:01 AM

I don't care if it actually plays in theaters, but I would LOVE them to have the money behind it as a theater film. I'd still buy the DVD, but with so much more money going into it,, it would be amazing. so.. yes i'd be happy for a theatrical release even though I'd just buy the DVD and watch it at home.

Falcon Horus
August 13th, 2008, 01:30 PM
A theatrical release would fail like you couldn't imagine. I even doubt, it would even get to be released over here. Probably not.

Anyway, I had the opportunity last year to watch Pegasus Project and Sateda in cinema. I have to admit the experience was awesome.

But I would never have spent 7€ + 7€ (large coke & M&M's) on AoT - I don't own that one on DVD even. Maybe in a year or so when they've lowered the price to 3€ - cause in my personal opinion it's not worth it.
Continuum will be added to the collection as soon as I can find it.

I think if we want to continue seeing films/longwinded episodes, direct-to-DVD is the best way to go. Unless MGM feels really brave and can convince the Gaters that what the Browncoats did, Gaters can too.

Skydiver
August 14th, 2008, 04:52 AM
i'd rather DVD.

I hate going to the theater. it's expensive, inconvenient, noisy and just annoying

for the same price of a ticket, soda and popcorn, i can own the movie and watch it at my convenience

silly sally
August 14th, 2008, 05:08 AM
i'd rather DVD.

I hate going to the theater. it's expensive, inconvenient, noisy and just annoying

for the same price of a ticket, soda and popcorn, i can own the movie and watch it at my convenience

You have a point (I haven't gone to theater in years), but at home you miss the theater-experience - watching it with a crowd and its reactions... Maybe TPTB could give future movies multiple screenings with the cast like they did at Comic Con...

Skydiver
August 14th, 2008, 06:44 PM
it'd be nice, but you know, for those of us that don't live in big cities or in that vast wasteland between LA and New York, it'll never happen for us.

Falcon Horus
August 15th, 2008, 04:41 AM
it'd be nice, but you know, for those of us that don't live in big cities or in that vast wasteland between LA and New York, it'll never happen for us.

Or all those none-US folks...

Jeff O'Connor
August 15th, 2008, 05:04 AM
I will not argue against the theater experience being a unique and entertaining scenario for me, either, Horus, and I've had zero opportunity to ever see anything Stargate-related on the big-screen. All the same, I agree that the franchise would fall on its ass and maybe never quite recover again if they tried for it to return there.

I mean, hell, not only are Russell and Spader nearly fifteen years removed from current Gate travel, RDA is only available on occasion, for cryin' out loud. There'd really be no immediate catch, and whereas a common critical complaint over Serenity was that non-fans wouldn't be terribly understanding of its core plot and characters and there was lack of 'proper movie-going introduction to them coming together', think about the reaction to Stargate.

"Here's this team that's been together for like twelve or more years, and..."

Right off the bat, that's a major problem. Outside of that, there's of course... everything else. The budget would have to be very, very high by today's standards, and MGM loves Stargate so much because it does well enough with what it's given, but it'd have to be pulling in higher than '1.3 live is impressive and just losing to Harold and Kumar 2 for Continuum' for them to seriously think it intelligent to give the producers sixty million, I think.

It just wouldn't work. What I want is to see Sci-Fi (and elsewhere internationally, of course) airing the specials as true telefilms, at least, so that there's a 'live' aspect to it, even though they've both been out for some time. I know Continuum's getting international airings; I'm waiting for both to get domestic televised events. C'mon, Skiffy, give me 'new Stargate SG-1 on TV' again. Gods know they'd probably be cut up a bit and worse for wear for it, but it's just a feeling I like. Direct-to-DVD just... still sounds a bit... I don't know. I'd just like to see a promotional campaign for Continuum on Sci-Fi that isn't just limited to aiding in the DVD release.

Past all that, yeah, definitely, every other SG-1 movie/extended episode/whatever that's ever made, and if Atlantis gets them, and so forth... really, definitely, direct-to-DVD and/or telefilm.