This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Theaters, DVD, does it matter?

Does it really matter if the SG-1 movies are released in theaters, like the original movie, or directly to DVD? It would be nice to watch it on a huge theater screen with that booming audio. However, most new releases I see these days are on my computer or TV, and it's just as enjoyable as if I saw it at the movie theater.

I'm asking if it matters to you, specifically, not people in general.

I'm glad AoT got a DVD release, because for a DVD release it exceeded all expectations, but would've died in Theaters. Thus it broke ground for future SG-1 movies which is obviously desirable.

With Continuum I have mixed feelings. Based on what we've seen I think it might have been able to have been marketed as Stargate the Movie 2. It's a standalone and builds on the original mythology. It also has "name" actors like RDA, William Devane and Beau Bridges. I think it certainly would've surpassed "Serenity" which built from an obscure show and unknown cast.

Between the bigger cast, known Movie & TV show foundation, it would've at least done credibly well.

But as far as viewing preference, I could care less, but I do have an HDTV.
    sigpic
    "Most of our John Sheppard impressions sound more like a demented Jimmy Stewart than Joe Flanigan."
    ~David Hewlett

Comment

Doesn't bother me at all, I probably wouldn't go and see it at theatres anyway. I'd rather they stick to DVD and keep the franchise healthy than risk losing money at the box office, especially considering when franchises make the leap back to cinemas after a while they start getting bright ideas about changing canon and 're-imagining' and such.

Comment

TV or DVD suits me better; once I've paid the babysitter and bought tickets for me and Mr W and added the cost of petrol , a trip to the cinema comes to over £40.

Madeleine

Comment

I would rather watch it on DVD i think.
          The 5th Race A StarGate Podcast
          The 5th Race Podcast RSS Feed
          The 5th Race Podcast iTunes Feed
          You can follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/jnolan
          You can follow me on Twitter at www.twitter.com/stargatepodcast

sigpic

Comment

I rather watch it in my house and not get my feet stuck to the floor.

Perfecto!

Comment

I don't think it really matters. While I do admit that I would enjoy the prospect of seeing it on the big screen, unless it was given a worldwide general release I don't really see the point.

If MGM really wanted to make some quick cash before the release then yeah I could see them doing it, but I can't really see a direct to dvd movie doing all that well. That said, Serenity did make almost $40 million at the box office and it's series had only 13 episodes. I think the fanbase is big enough, but I am not sure MGM think the low funding towards the movie would deem it suitable for a cinema release.

That said, it just delays the movie's release on DVD anyway and that's where the big money is going to be, maybe they could do a couple of limited releases in a few places but I can't see more than that.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
                TV or DVD suits me better; once I've paid the babysitter and bought tickets for me and Mr W and added the cost of petrol , a trip to the cinema comes to over £40.
                *Nods*
                Much as I'd love to watch a Stargate movie at the cinema ,the costs are too high for me to consider going with the family ,though we'd all love to see Continuum or future movies at the Odeon .

4 adult tickets ,plus petrol,parking ,and a couple of drinks ...and the cost for admission. I think I'd be lucky now to see change from £50 !

On the other hand ,I can buy the DVD for about £12-16, watch it as often as I like ,and spend a few Pounds on juice ,tea and a big drum of popcorn .
                Result = everyone happy and we can pause/rewatch anything at the touch of a button.

DVD release wins .Though I would possibly sneak to a showing alone if I ever get the chance .
                The place to "Gate" to during Outages for updates and info:

Comment

I think direct to DVD is ideal, I get to own it as soon as its released and dont have to pay for it twice if I want to see it as soon as it comes out.
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....30&postcount=9
                  http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....9&postcount=18
                  Originally posted by Jonzey
                  Hardcore nudity means not just without clothes, but without skin. You can't get much more hardcore nude than that.

Comment

I would rather watch it at home and save money. We have home theater so it would be okay.
                    sigpic

Comment

It makes a huge difference.

Direct-to-DVD movies have minimal costs. Advertising (tv ads, magazine, word of mouth) and well, go direct to DVD. Sales figures are easier to calculate.

Theatrical? Well, you're battling with the latest Jack Black movie, or
                      something else,and if the movie doesn't do boffo in the first week or so, it's yanked, and all the distribution expenses get written off.

The funny thing is that now, some home units are SOOO big that it's like having a movie theater in your house. I saw one - $40K - it was incredible, but I just don't have that spare pocket change.

And direct to DVD means no driving to theater, getting car dinged by some inconsiderate oaf in an SUV slamming open his door, paying outrageous popcorn fees (well, in all honesty, I steal from my friend's popcorn bucket), and I can watch it over and over again. And if one person buys a $20 movie and you've got five people watching, you've saved money.

But you know, it would be nice just once to see a Stargate on the big screen, just for the fun of it. Ah, when I win Powerball

Comment

Originally posted by SaberBlade View Post
                        I don't think it really matters. While I do admit that I would enjoy the prospect of seeing it on the big screen, unless it was given a worldwide general release I don't really see the point.

If MGM really wanted to make some quick cash before the release then yeah I could see them doing it, but I can't really see a direct to dvd movie doing all that well. That said, Serenity did make almost $40 million at the box office and it's series had only 13 episodes. I think the fanbase is big enough, but I am not sure MGM think the low funding towards the movie would deem it suitable for a cinema release.

That said, it just delays the movie's release on DVD anyway and that's where the big money is going to be, maybe they could do a couple of limited releases in a few places but I can't see more than that.
                        Yeah but it cost almost $40m to make!

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          Yeah but it cost almost $40m to make!
                          budget is not everything. For me, it is the story. And Serenity was great and AoT was awful movie. Of course, it's my personal opinion
                          Stolen Kosovo
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by g.o.d View Post
                            budget is not everything. For me, it is the story. And Serenity was great and AoT was awful movie. Of course, it's my personal opinion
                            Not my point, I'm saying that it didn't make any money.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                              Not my point, I'm saying that it didn't make any money.
                              it depends on how big fanbase is/was.
                              Stolen Kosovo
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X