Weapon Strengths

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weapon Strengths

Has anyone ever done honest to goodness scientific calculations of the strengths of Goa'uld, Wraith, and Ori plasma weapons? I'm talking with the actual calcs used in real life, measuring the strength in megatons or whatever. If you have, please come forward!

I've seen that Ha'tak cannon are often measured at 300 megatons, but is there actually a calculation to show it? I'd be grateful if some of you science super-geeks would come put your brains to work on it.
    sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

I believe the 300 MT goauld weapons were stated in a early SG1 episode, except I seem to remember them saying 200 MT.

Besides that, how would one measure the weapons strength? We know none of the specific values of the variables involved.

Comment

How about when the cruiser fires at the ground in "Condemned"? You could use the size of the plumes, diameter, etc. from what I know. I'm just not sure of the apropriate calculation or I'd try it myself.
      sigpic

The New GateWorld Virtual Fleet Database

Comment

Goa'uld -300 megatonnes
        Anubis Ship 301 megatonnes
        Wraith 302 megatonnes
        Ori 303 megatonnes
        Asgard 302 megatonnes
        Human/Asgard 304 megatonnes
        my fist 100000 mega tonnes hehe
        there you go u wanted an answer so i gave you it not necesarily the right one but its an answer haha
        Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
        McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

err, you'd be better off listing their DPS and proc stats Steam.

Comment

Steams back! Nice!

As to the weapons, i think the weaposn figures given in the show are extreamely low, for example, a normal shot fired on to a planet, if they were 300 or 200 MT's then it would be 4x as powerful as the largest nuke ever on earth. Now obviously the mechanics of the weapon are different, but there would be consdierable more damage, we have seen that barely anything happens, cept a large dent in the ground.
            sigpic
            You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
            Stargate : Genesis |
            Original Starship DesignThread
            Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
            11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
              Steams back! Nice!

As to the weapons, i think the weaposn figures given in the show are extreamely low, for example, a normal shot fired on to a planet, if they were 300 or 200 MT's then it would be 4x as powerful as the largest nuke ever on earth. Now obviously the mechanics of the weapon are different, but there would be consdierable more damage, we have seen that barely anything happens, cept a large dent in the ground.
              That depends on what episode you're looking at. Mr Oragahn has done calculations for Wraith canons in the thread, 'Everything you ever wanted to know about the Wraith and Hive ships,'. Looking at the explosions in Misbegotten its possible to get low gigaton level weapon figures for Wraith guns, also me and David T have got gigaton level weapon calculations by using his figure for a ZPM. Other have used a ZPM to get pentaton (probably spelt it wrong lol) level weapons figures.

On the other hand when firing at SG teams all capital ship weapons seem to be about as power as hang grenades so I don't know...
              Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Originally posted by immhotep View Post
                Steams back! Nice!

lol nice to be back mate i see u have alot more posts now i remember when i had more than u lmao
                Griffin: You aren't Spanish, are you?
                McKay: Oh yes! Of the Barcelona McKays!

Steam Asgard Commander of the Teal'c

http://www.youtube.com/partcontinuum

Comment

As for megatonne ranges, no clue, you can come up with your own numbers, they are going to be accurate as anybody else's.

Possible strength levels for the weapons:

1) Annubis planet destroying weapon, the Death Star weapon
                  2) Ori beam, Lantean satellite weapon
                  3) Asgard beam
                  4) Asuran satellite weapon
                  5) Ori satellite weapon or MW Replicator beam weapon (used in 'Enemies')
                  6) Ori, Asgard energy weapons
                  7) Wraith energy weapons
                  8) MW upgraded Ha'tak energy weapons
                  9) G'aould energy weapons

Comment

In SG-1 Season 10 ep 9 (Company of Thieves) at the end it takes about 20 Ha'atak shots to disable the shields of another Ha'atak. If the energy of one shot is 200 Mt then it takes 4000 Mt to disable a Goa'uld ship's shields. That would be consistent with SG-1 Season 2 ep 1 when a 1000 Mt nuke hits the shield of a Ha'atak and doesn't do any damage.
                    An Ori ship's primary weapon could "slice" through a Ha'atak even with shields at maximum... so that weapon has an energy of over 4000 Mt wich is also reasonable considering the enormous power source it has.
                    Before talking about Wraith ships let's see how much energy a Mark 9 nuke has. Well Mitchell says at one point that "it will wipe out anything within a 100 mile radius". I calculated that such a nuke must release the equivalent of 1740 Mt of TNT... or 1.7 Gigatons (Gt). In "Beachead" after detonating a Mark 9, Carter says that was a multi-gigaton nuclear explosion so to make it "multi" we could say that a Mark 9 releases 2 Gt instead of 1.7 .
                    We know (from SG-1 episode Camelot) that it takes 3 shots of an Ori primary weapon to destroy a 304 (without a ZPM)... so about 12000 Mt. In the Siege part III about 50 Wraith blasts leave the Daedalus's shield to about 20% so it would take 60 shots to completely disable the shields and let's say another 10 to destroy the ship so 70 shots from a Wraith weapon have 12000 Mt. So one blast has about 171 Mt. I hope that clarifies things to some extent

Comment

Originally posted by Steam View Post
                      lol nice to be back mate i see u have alot more posts now i remember when i had more than u lmao
                      Yeah that was along time ago! hope you stay, ship design has moved on a heck of alot since that first thread, you predate the OSDT, thats well strange(for me!) that was actually years ago now! I feel old seeing you again lol
                      sigpic
                      You are the fifth race, your role is clear, if there is any hope in preserving the future it lies with you and your people ~ 8years for those words
                      Stargate : Genesis |
                      Original Starship DesignThread
                      Sanctuary for all | http://virtualfleet.vze.com/
                      11000! green me

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Col. Mcoy View Post
                        Has anyone ever done honest to goodness scientific calculations of the strengths of Goa'uld, Wraith, and Ori plasma weapons? I'm talking with the actual calcs used in real life, measuring the strength in megatons or whatever. If you have, please come forward!

I've seen that Ha'tak cannon are often measured at 300 megatons, but is there actually a calculation to show it? I'd be grateful if some of you science super-geeks would come put your brains to work on it.

hold on let me just run to the store and pick up a goauld plasma wepon, a wraith plasma wepon, and a ori plasma wepon...... how could we possibly measure that?
                        STARGATE ROCKS

THERE IS NO BETTER SHOW

Comment

unlike nukes, energy weapons are a directed force, thus better located attack without the massive enviromental damage

Comment

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
                            unlike nukes, energy weapons are a directed force, thus better located attack without the massive enviromental damage
                            Exactly even if they have a maximum yield many times greater than that of a conventional nuke, its all directed and concentrated in a much smaller area. So while damage spread is reduced, the actual damage caused is much more devastating.

On the other hand, I think that the Lantean satellite weapon probably has a max yield about a quarter of that of a Goa'uld ha'tak cannon. This is because, like a laser it is concentrated into a very thin beam. So it is more effective without the massive power requirements.
                            Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

sigpic

Comment

There have been many attempts but I never found any single one particularly convincing.

The main problem is that power levels vary so badly from episode to episode that any sort of consistant claims about weapon yeilds are impossible.

Take for example the Ori "deathbeam". This weapon has been seen to do everything from 1 shot kill Ha'taks to barely burn away some grass or need several hits just to destroy a very small mountain.

Then look at something like the Asuran satellite weapon. It's going to drain the ZPM powered shields of Atlantis in 9 hours but they can block it with a small asteroid that it can't cut through. So it can cut through a shield powered by a power source that can destroy an entire solar system but it can't cut through a rock?

It's idiocy. It's the result of the powers that be not even giving really half a **** about technical continuity on the series.

One episode you've got Goa'uld motherships leveling cities, next one they're shooting at O'neill from orbit and can't even knock his hat off when shots land right next to him.

Now if you have to come up with some sort of numbers I usually like to just apply a bit of common sense and use Earth's naquada nukes as a benchmark. We've got canon dialog saying that you can get 1 gigaton out of a nuke with a bit of naquada added. Now since it's stupid to think that every other alien race in the universe would overlook this simple method of getting gigaton level weaponry it's pretty safe to assume that their "blobs of doom" are probably at least in that same ballpark. You can't have Earth running around with dozens of 1 gigaton nukes per ship and then have everyone else who's actually got better technology and more experience only throwing low megatons or less back and forth, that's just not going to work for obvious reasons.

The alternative is to assume that the various alien weapons work more on the idea of damaging shields than matter. That's to say that their effect on shields is dramatically out of scale with their actual energy yeild, which is quite low. This explanation works better in some cases, the first one in others.

Comment

Working...
                              X