Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stargate: The Ark of Truth - Is it Safe for Kids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

http://blog.wired.com/geekdad/2008/0...te-the-ar.html

By Patrick Orndorff
    June 12, 2008 | 8:00:00 AM

Excerpt:

…My family and I have followed all of the Stargate television incarnations ever since SG-1 came to the Sci-Fi Channel from the Showtime network. The long-running series has a very detailed, and sometimes complex backstory. This DVD is definitely geared toward the fans of the show. Those unfamiliar with Seasons 9-10 (or old guys like me, whose brain cells are not what they used to be) should watch the Prelude to Stargate: The Ark of Truth section. It includes all of the information which would usually be introduced with a voice-over saying, "Previously on Stargate SG-1."

Many children, like mine, are big fans of the SG-1, but since this movie was a direct-to-DVD release, it was not rated for content. When parents see the word "Unrated" on a DVD box, eyebrows tend to raise. So the question is, is Stargate: The Ark of Truth safe for kids?

REST AT LINK ABOVE

All "unrated" means is that it wasn't submitted to the MPAA (or other group) for review and classification.

It's (IMO) PG-13. If it had been reviewed it would probably have advisories for violence and language (one instance).

Comment

Posted previously in the Ark of Truth Movie Reviews thread:

http://forum.gateworld.net/showpost....4&postcount=69

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
      SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
      Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffala View Post
        All "unrated" means is that it wasn't submitted to the MPAA (or other group) for review and classification.

It's (IMO) PG-13. If it had been reviewed it would probably have advisories for violence and language (one instance).
        Unrated means it can be anything. Quite honestly, the scene where Mitchell gets the crap beaten out of him isn't for small kids. Otherwise, it's no different than any other episode.

Comment

I think AOT is relatively safe for kids to view. If they are used to the action and violence of the show, they can handle this movie.
          sigpic
          MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
          "...phu...ah..."
          "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
          Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Originally posted by the fifth man View Post
            I think AOT is relatively safe for kids to view. If they are used to the action and violence of the show, they can handle this movie.
            well, i suppose considering how kids kill people left and right in video games, AOT might be tame

Comment

This reviewer claims to have watched all the SG episodes with his family but finds the fight scene in the movie might be too intense for children? There is plenty of violence in every episode. In the past 2 seasons alone, Mitchell and Teal'c took turns getting beat up and/or tortured every 3rd episode and the number of nameless villagers obliterated in one way or another is uncountable. Vala being burned alive by far tops any of the violence portrayed in the movie. As for the AoT movie, I found the violence to be fairly tame and the homage to The Terminator movies slyly witty but then, I'm older than 10.

Comment

Originally posted by Zelda View Post
                This reviewer claims to have watched all the SG episodes with his family but finds the fight scene in the movie might be too intense for children? There is plenty of violence in every episode. In the past 2 seasons alone, Mitchell and Teal'c took turns getting beat up and/or tortured every 3rd episode and the number of nameless villagers obliterated in one way or another is uncountable. Vala being burned alive by far tops any of the violence portrayed in the movie. As for the AoT movie, I found the violence to be fairly tame and the homage to The Terminator movies slyly witty but then, I'm older than 10.
                Tis sorta odd, but the fight scene does last a LOT longer than fight scenes on SG1. Networks censors would probably shorten it if it played on SCiFi.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                  Tis sorta odd, but the fight scene does last a LOT longer than fight scenes on SG1. Networks censors would probably shorten it if it played on SCiFi.
                  I doubt network censors would shorten the fight scene. But an episode version would necessarily limit the scene time-wise in order to fit the constraints of a one-hour program(roughly 42 minutes of film) and fit in the rest of the story.

There is plenty of violence that runs thematically through several on-air series. My point here is, the reviewer seems overly concerned about one bloody fight scene when he admits that both he and his family watch and have enjoyed SG1 for years. I wonder if he found Talion offensive or the episode a few years ago that had Jack pinned against a wall and knifed repeatedly by Ba'al for fun? Or the many Gou'ld snake episodes. etc., etc.

Children are resilient -- one bloody fight scene will not damage their delicate psyches, especially if they have been watching these same characters regularly get physically abused for 10 years. However, viewers who are aware that their children frighten easily might choose to screen the movie before hand and make a determination suitable for their own family -- which they probably do for all TV and movies in general and if that was the point he was making, I agree.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                    Did SKy-One shorten it?

Comment

If the movie were rated, I'd expect a PG rating if the Star Trek movies are any indication. Is it kid friendly? Sure, if you define a kid as anyone under 18. However, the movie has religious themes and messages that some parents may not want presented to their kids in the form of a movie.

Movies being unrated is quite common for movies that are made for television or a direct-to-video release.

Comment

There's lots of gratuitous violence and some gore, I wouldn't say it's suitable for young children no.

Comment

Eh, they see worse in the video games, Rated M for mature, that their parents buy them. I figure if the kid is ten or older, he's old enough to handle the movie. While the movie is violent, it's not like the violence is disturbing. It's no worse than you'd see in a typical action movie. The only major difference is RepliMarrick and Mitchell's bloody face. As for gore... what gore?

Comment

How about Mitchell pulling a replicator leg out of RepliMerricks brain? I'd say that is gore, not to mention pretty disturbing for children too, especially considering he immediately begs to be euthanized...

Comment

The burning of Vala was a bit shocking at first, but I liked that they made such dramatic scenes, because it raised antipathy for the Ori and the writers could go down from the pink clouds.
                              "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

Working...
                              X