PDA

View Full Version : Sam's replacement - old face or new ?

Palantir71
June 7th, 2008, 02:53 PM
Will they bring an old face in to replace Sam or will they create a new character?

Whilst on the subject It's a shame AT is leaving the show but to be honest Sam Carter really did'nt do anything while she was there, she did'nt get much screen time and she is not cut out to be an expedition leader sat behind a desk that's just not the Sam Carter we know.

I'd like to see Hammond or Landrey get the job, let's hope they don't promote from within or that will be another character behind a desk and wasted.

Kezia
June 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Erm...

Do you want to be spoiled, or did you make this thread purely for speculation purposes?

jenks
June 7th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Woolsey is replacing Carter.

Jeffala
June 7th, 2008, 03:13 PM
Woolsey is replacing Carter.

And I'm not that pessimistic about it. If you consider his behavior in the past, he's been the strongest advocate possible for whatever his assignment was.

When he was assigned an oversight role to the SGC, he went after the duty like a bulldog and that's why he is pretty thoroughly reviled by the fans.

I think that, given his responsibility for the people of Atlantis and the success for the mission, he'll pursue his duties with the same zeal that made him hated by everyone and I think it'll turn out okay.

Ltcolshepjumper
June 7th, 2008, 04:50 PM
I believed Woolsey was the proper person who should have replaced Dr. Weir. In fact, Woolsey has the expertise that Weir was supposed to have, as far as political and diplomatic negotiations. I think Atlantis could have been much more interesting if it had included the political dynamic from the start.

Kezia
June 7th, 2008, 05:17 PM
I believed Woolsey was the proper person who should have replaced Dr. Weir. In fact, Woolsey has the expertise that Weir was supposed to have, as far as political and diplomatic negotiations. I think Atlantis could have been much more interesting if it had included the political dynamic from the start.

I'm with you on that.

Also, I'm hoping that TPTB don't shy away from writing in some conflict between Woolsey and the "established" characters (sorta like with Caldwell and Weir in the earlier seasons).

The way they wrote in Keller has a bit worried, however.

Cephalus
June 7th, 2008, 05:39 PM
were did it say she was leaving...that sucks no more carter

Jeffala
June 7th, 2008, 07:06 PM
were did it say she was leaving...that sucks no more carter

Well, as early as Feb. 5 it's been known that Woolsey's going to be the new leader.

Carter out, Woolsey in for fifth season of Stargate Atlantis - TV Squad (http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/02/05/carter-out-woolsey-in-for-fifth-season-of-stargate-atlantis/)

And it's been understood since she was brought in that Tapping would only be on Atlantis full time for one season. She had one season left on her contract so they had to either buy her out or use her on Atlantis. That's how I understand it, at least.

Cephalus
June 7th, 2008, 07:17 PM
i new she had 1 year left didnt know if they was gona resign or what but this sux

Ramses818
June 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I think that Woolsey will do a good job,, assuming he can learn to be a little more decisive and not give a darn about what the IOA has to say.
The actor has shown the ability as the Doctor on STV, so I think he will do just fine. Worse thing that happens is they kill him off and nobody cares. I would prefer a more Hammond or Landry type though.

PG15
June 7th, 2008, 07:45 PM
And it's been understood since she was brought in that Tapping would only be on Atlantis full time for one season. She had one season left on her contract so they had to either buy her out or use her on Atlantis. That's how I understand it, at least.

I don't think so. The producers expected her to return, but after Sanctuary got greenlighted, they changed their plans.

the fifth man
June 7th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I'm going to give Woolsey a fair shot. I think there is a good chance, after this next season is over, a lot more people will like and respect his character.

Jeffala
June 7th, 2008, 07:54 PM
I don't think so. The producers expected her to return, but after Sanctuary got greenlighted, they changed their plans.

I always forget about Sanctuary. I watched a few of the episodes on YouTube and thought it was interesting. I'm looking forward to seeing it on TV.

JohnRico
June 7th, 2008, 09:50 PM
Well, as early as Feb. 5 it's been known that Woolsey's going to be the new leader.

Carter out, Woolsey in for fifth season of Stargate Atlantis - TV Squad (http://www.tvsquad.com/2008/02/05/carter-out-woolsey-in-for-fifth-season-of-stargate-atlantis/)

As I understand it they wanted Tapping to return full time for Season 5 but Tapping decided on Sanctuary over Atlantis once Sanctuary got the go ahead & that forced the writers to find a replacement

metabog
June 8th, 2008, 04:42 AM
Looks like some of us are taking spoilers for granted.

rens14
June 8th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I think I'm gonna like woolsey more than carter because she didn't really fit there I thought it was to much about she came from SG-1.

Jumper_One
June 8th, 2008, 02:20 PM

nope you're wrong ;) TBTB expected AT to return but she had to decide between Atlantis and Sanctuary

exactly ;)

prion
June 9th, 2008, 08:19 AM
Since AManda has production duties (executive producer?) on Sanctuary, she'd be a total idiot to stay on a show where she just acts, and in just a few minutes an episode. Sanctuary will help along her career.

As for Woolsey joining, I'm all for it as carter, although I DO like her, was far too nice in the command position. No conflict to speak of so it was, well, dull. ALthough I am not looking forward to see Woolsey in the same out that Carter had - sorry, it's just awful.

The Asuran Jester
June 9th, 2008, 10:40 AM
I like the idea of Woosley in charge, but i don't see it lasting more than a season. If there is a season 6 (I think therewil be), I think we will see him replaced.

jenks
June 9th, 2008, 10:42 AM
I doubt it, not unless there's a good reason.

marty2006
June 9th, 2008, 02:48 PM
I doubt it, not unless there's a good reason.

Agreed. Too many changes, lets hope there is a period of stability.

Pic
June 9th, 2008, 03:15 PM
And I'm not that pessimistic about it. If you consider his behavior in the past, he's been the strongest advocate possible for whatever his assignment was.

When he was assigned an oversight role to the SGC, he went after the duty like a bulldog and that's why he is pretty thoroughly reviled by the fans.

I think that, given his responsibility for the people of Atlantis and the success for the mission, he'll pursue his duties with the same zeal that made him hated by everyone and I think it'll turn out okay.

I agree. I like to think that he'll champion the cause of his duty whatever that duty is ~ I'm also looking for a bit more conflict with the leader and the team.

I had the impression that with the military threat, the whole "lost in the middle of nowhere btw seasons" thing, that they selected Carter because of her scientific knowledge of replicators and her military background combined to make her the choice at the time. Since that "threat" was handled relatively early in s4, her role has been administrative. She's not an administrator. Woolsey is an administrator. Therefore, Woolsey will be a better fit?

Before you throw things at me folks, I absolutely adore Carter. I'm just saying...

prion
June 10th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I had the impression that with the military threat, the whole "lost in the middle of nowhere btw seasons" thing, that they selected Carter because of her scientific knowledge of replicators and her military background combined to make her the choice at the time. Since that "threat" was handled relatively early in s4, her role has been administrative. She's not an administrator. Woolsey is an administrator. Therefore, Woolsey will be a better fit?

Before you throw things at me folks, I absolutely adore Carter. I'm just saying...

I don't know why they'd put a scientist in charge of Atlantis (face it, it was merely a casting decision) but I do feel Woolsey will work better in commander. As you said, he IS an administrator type. We will probably see some conflict (there was zip with Carter except for the one time she sorta sniped at Woolsey).

Mitchell82
June 10th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Incorrect. She was planning on staying on then Sanctuary got picked up as an actual tv series and she had to make a tough choice and she chose to leave.